The HullaBoard

The HullaBoard (http://www.hulla.info/board/index.php)
-   Politics & Media (http://www.hulla.info/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Nigger (http://www.hulla.info/board/showthread.php?t=25173)

No Typical Raver October 23rd, 2007 04:21 AM

Nigger

that got your attention huh?

a word so strong, so offensive to some is sure to generate some buzz.

what's the point of this thread? glad you asked.

some of you might be familiar with rapper Nas. Nas has a new album coming out. the title of said album? "Nigger".

here's my question to you: should he be allowed to do this? what if a white artist wanted to do the same? do you believe he actually has some kind of purpose behind the title or is he just being a giant attention whore.

personally, i think the album should come out even though i believe he's just doing it for attention and media buzz. anyone who doesnt like it or is offended by it should look the other way, dont buy the album and shut up. the word exists whether his album comes out or not, whether it sells a million copies or 10 copies.
i wonder how he's gonna promote that :confused:

DJ Saiyan October 23rd, 2007 03:00 PM

He won't be able to advertise it on TV or in print, unless it's censored.

Why the hell is his label letting him do that? They have to know it's going to hurt their ability to advertise it, and in turn hurt sales.

mintjellie October 23rd, 2007 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Saiyan
He won't be able to advertise it on TV or in print, unless it's censored.

Why the hell is his label letting him do that? They have to know it's going to hurt their ability to advertise it, and in turn hurt sales.

because his label knows that censorship of a record for any reason generates interest in that record. God Save The Queen by The Sex Pistols was deemed so offensive that no radio station would play it and the british music charts wouldn't print its title. all the hoopla around it caused it to go #1 anyways, and for the time it was on the charts they left the chart position it occupied blank.

the lesson learned? even a mediocre and rather pedestrian piece of music can be successful if you convince teenagers that adults don't want them to hear it.

No Typical Raver October 23rd, 2007 03:55 PM

i think you're wrong shane.

think about it, yeah they cant promote traditionally, BUT every media outlet in the country will be discussing it at some point right?

sure in any print ads for stores they'll have to censor it, and maybe even on itunes. how do you put that out on the shelves and will most stores even carry it?

No Typical Raver October 23rd, 2007 03:58 PM

also apparently the original title was Nigga but he decided to push it

deggs November 4th, 2007 11:01 PM

how come nobody cared when odb had that nigga please album title (that album rocked by the way)

No Typical Raver November 5th, 2007 03:29 AM

cuz it was nigga and no one cares about niggas