View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #36
Brandon
Hullaboarder

First Hulla?

The second Hulla, Return of the Vibe - September 1997.

What does Hulla mean to you?

Hulla will forever be a snapshot of the extremes (positive and negative, but in the end positive overall) of the rave scene in Toronto, representing triumph over adversity in the long haul, and a classy exit - going out on its own terms instead of dissolving in the usual rave fashion of cancelled parties, message board bickering over promised-but-never-delivered ticket refunds, and promoter secrecy.

Hulla was responsible for adding many live tapes to my mixtape collection.

I think my wife and I had some of our best dancefloor moments together at Hulla events.

Also, fun fun fun!

What do you think Hulla means to the scene?

In 1996 it seemed like the scene in Toronto had reached a crossroads. Clubs were displacing events left right and centre, and many first or second-wave companies were calling it a day (Atlantis, Trancendance, etc.). The stage was also being set for the 'bigger than big' megaparties that would rule the roost at the expense of whatever 'underground' was left at the time. Then in 1997 two organizations came along - Hullabaloo and Phryl - and championed what I call the third wave of Toronto partying. Medium-sized events in non-club, or at least appropriated and redecorated club, venues with a focus on positive partying. Phryl's candle burned brightly but was extinguished before its time, and Hulla persevered.

Hulla provided a home base and breeding ground for happy hardcore lovers, an island of fast-paced beats in a sea of jungle, techno and trance. I think equal amounts of scorn and praise were heaped on Hulla in that regard.

The community and loyal following Hulla developed over the years is also worth mentioning, as I'm sure many other promoters wished at one time or another that they had the same sort of loyal fanbase.

Your ultimate Hulla set/memory:

Difficult to say. I'd have to go with Brisk and Storm at "Rhythm of Life" only because it was my first (and to date, only) time seeing this legendary pair live. Good times.

Share a funny Hulla party anecdote:

In the main room at "return of the vibe" Brano was spinning at one point, and really worked the crowd into a frenzy with a collection of classic tracks. He threw on Plastikman's Spastik and the crowd really responded. As the track built and built towards its big payoff, Brano seemed to get more and more 'into it,' leaning over the turntable sort of like how a rock guitarist would put one foot up on the monitor and give'r, and just as the track reached its crescendo, his focused head-nodding and hip swivelling wreaked havoc as he bumped the deck and skipped the record. The look on his face was priceless as he had just thrown off the groove of everybody in the room.

Your own space to add anything you want (shout outs, thoughts etc..): Shoutouts to Bernie and Dan, the two non-ravers we dragged out to Return of the Vibe and candykid Joy Dodd whose crush on MC Storm shall remain forever unrequited.