View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #21
Brandon
Hullaboarder

The first Hulla happened about two weeks before my 20th birthday...

That was the summer between my first and second year of university (Wilfrid Laurier in Waterloo). I was still slaving in the shoe mines like Al Bundy at the now-defunct Kinney Shoes at the Conestoga Mall in Waterloo. I'd been going out with my future wife for two years.

I had popped my Toronto partying cherry the previous summer with the United Dance party and in the meantime had been hitting up little Kitchener and Guelph techno jams here and there. Around then I heard a bit of a buzz about a new company that was going to recapture and revisit the oldschool rave party vibe. Someone gave me a flyer for the first Hulla and although I couldn't make the event due to prior family commitments or something, I vowed to hit up their next one.

It would be the summer of my first WEMF, of back-to-back Dubtribe Soundsystem extravaganzas, and that September my partying went from the occasional outing to a full-time occupation - Phryl's first event, the second Hulla (woo!) , Building Blocks 2 and Corrosion (an event in Kitchener). It was my first time partying every weekend. What a time to be alive.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote