View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #9
hyppy2
Hulla Legacy Member

I was going to PM this to you, Frolic, but I decided I'd rather post it publicly.

Hey there Chris

I check the Hullabaloo listing on Wikipedia now and then to make sure nobody's deleted the date and address of the first party (someone has a hard time believing it for some reason) and I clicked a link to the site.

I'm ECSTATIC to see the old tapes being posted as MP3!! That Ruffneck tape is worth its weight in gold!! And it's awesome to have a copy of that Spinback\Ruff tape that isn't totally worn thin! (it's your tiiiime to come alive with we!)

I also got a little bit teary reading your last track of the night speech for the final Hulla. I didn't make it out to that party so it was fantastic hearing what you had to say.

Now that I'm thinking of my dancier days I thought I'd share one of my Frolic Rules (TM) stories with you!

I had bought a ticket for a friend for her birthday and told her I'd meet her at the front door after I picked up another partygoer. I got TOTALLY lost trying to find where this person lived and got to the party way late. Needless to say, the birthday girl got tired of waiting and was lucky enough to be able to pay at the door.

About 6 hours later I finally found my birthday buddy and aplogized profusely. Totally by chance, you walked right by us and we stopped you for a quick hello. I explained our situation and pleaded with you to give my friend her money back in exchange for my extra ticket. You contemplated it for about 2 seconds, smiled at us, and gladly obliged, reimbursing her out of your pocket right away.

-NO- other party promoter would have been so kind or understanding. Hullabaloo was awesome thanks to the partiers and DJs and decorators, but flowers can't bloom without one loving seed.

You made my adolescence. You saved my life. With all the gangs and criminals and unsavoury ways to spend one's teenage years there are thousands of Torontonians who owe you our lives for giving us a positive, nonviolent alternative. I'm now somewhat grown up with a full time job and place of my own. I truly don't think I'd have made it this far if it weren't for the faith in humanity instilled deep within me by Hullabaloo.

The end of Hulla is a reminder to me of a chapter of my life, and that the chapter is now closed. My creaky bones and round belly couldn't take even one of the weekly thrashings I once enjoyed so much. I oughtn't anyway - my fond memories only grow fonder and there's no competing with that. But when I hear these mixtapes and when I read your words - especially at the end of the last Hulla - I'm THERE again and the memories are so sweet.

Honestly, Chris, you are an unsung hero of Toronto. You had your partygoers' best interests in mind. There were so many other promoters out there who wanted nothing but to squeeze every penny from suckers with fat pants. You could have very easily gone that route but you never surrendered your ideals. You even took care of your talent by making their names as large on flyers as the big bucks headliners. You gave us all a positive environment the likes of which we'll never find again, but I think I speak for all my fellow Hullabalosers (not including that comment) when I say that we try to spread around some of that positivity every day of our lives.

Another Frolic Rules (TM) moment:

I got fed up with the winguses and dinguses on the Hulla message board and proudly announced my retirement from Hullabaloo. You emailed me shortly thereafter, insisting message boarders were asshats and that I knew very well that the real Hulla was so much more. I didn't come back to this message board again until now, but I still made it out to the first 17 consecutive Hullas.

Only good things to you and Robyn and Frolic Jr. (what did you name him? Ephedrine Euphoria?)

Email me any time (brian[at]hyppy[dot]zapto[dot]org). The least I can do for you is buy you a cup of coffee some time. An open invitation for impulsive caffeination!

Peace, Love, Unity, and Respect. Every day.

Brian

p.s.,

In case you need, here's a recording of Mental Floss from Hulla 2:
http://mentalfloss.blogware.com/aur...June27_1998.mp3

And just for fun, here's a happy little something I mixed one lazy afternoon. The Hulla spirit is undeniable.
http://s89694863.onlinehome.us/Spyr...ely%20Happy.mp3
hyppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote