Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old November 12th, 2002, 07:52 AM   #26
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
Quote:
Originally posted by monstercan-D
I remember meeting several Americans at Group Hug 2001 who said that they were going to the 'Anabolic Frolic concert' when they were questioned at the border.

That's what I usually say. Some of my friends won't even do that, they'll make up some story about comming to Canada to gamble or something like that. It's pretty sad. We should have no reason to worry about crossing the boarder to come to hullabaloo. I almost always get searched and harrassed by the boarder people. I'm just waiting for the day that they try to arrest me at the boarder for the simple fact that I'm comming onto the country to go to a rave.
Old November 12th, 2002, 03:34 PM   #27
stargurl

Send a message via ICQ to stargurl
If you wish to contact someone about this, I've looked up the relevant numbers/urls/email addresses:

Mayor: James M. Smith,

Governor: Scott McCallum, http://www.wisgov.state.wi.us/ (608) 266-1212

Congressman: Paul Ryan, 1-888-909-RYAN, http://www.house.gov/ryan/email.html
Racine Constituent Services Center: (262) 637-0510

Senators: Russel Feingold, (202) 224-5323, russell_feingold@feingold.senate.gov; Herb Kohl, (202) 224-5653, senator_kohl@kohl.senate.gov

Wisconsin State senate rep: Kimberly Plache, (608) 266-1832, Sen.Plache@legis.state.wi.us

Wisconsin State Assembly rep: Robert Turner, (608) 266-0731, Rep.Turner@legis.state.wi.us

Racine County Sheriff: William L McReynolds, http://www.racineco.com/sheriff/default.htm, (414) 636-3211, sheriff@racineco.com

Racine police chief: David Spenner, (262) 635-7710

Newspapers:
Racine Journal Times: http://www.journaltimes.com/
All other Wisconsin papers: http://newslink.org/winews.html
stargurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2002, 01:29 PM   #28
CottonKitty
Hullanewbie

Send a message via AIM to CottonKitty
Unhappy

Hiya everyone. I live in Wisconsin and I went to the party. I decided to post and let ya know what's up.

We got there half an hour after it was busted. And we went upstairs where there was still music/dancing for about half an hour more. Then the cops came up, shut off the music and told everyone to leave. But for some unknown reason no one upstairs was ticketed. They wouldn't let anyone downstairs up, or anyone upstairs down. They blocked off all exits downstairs and forced 445 party kids to sit quietly while one by one they were each written out a $968 ticket for a disorderly house. This took *several* hours. The party was busted at 12:30 but there were still *a lot* of people down there when we left at 4:30.

This is completely unconstitutional. This law was meant for speakeasies and such during prohibition in the 20's. It basically says that a disorderly house is any place meant for the purpose of distributing controlled substances. (The party was actually a charity event for the theatre) And being an inmate of a disorderly house would be knowingly in a place where there is a controlled substance. But how were we supposed to know? The fliers/web~sites assured us this was a 100% legal venue, that there would be security and searches, and that drugs were not allowed in. Sure drugs are commonplace at a party, but this is a bit reminscent of grade school. When a few kids act up, and no one gets to go to recess. It's ridiculous! (I'm not sure the exact law or how it is to be applied, but that's the jist of it)

The aclu and emdef are helping out and I think representing everyone in the court battle. I don't think a single person will pay for the tickets, and I'm 99% sure they'll be dropped in court. As the cops passed them out they even said they wouldn't hold up in court. It's all about ruining our night, putting a dent in our scene, and coming off as heroes for busting one of those evil, illegal "rave parties". But this has already brought us together and I hope this new sense of unity continues on as we fight for our scene!
Old November 25th, 2002, 11:06 PM   #29
stargurl

CottonKitty: thank you for sharing your experience with us. It's always good to hear things from someone who was actually there. Keep us posted
Old January 21st, 2003, 12:39 AM   #30
stargurl

445 charges agaist ravers - DROPPED

City dismisses all rave charges - Racine Journal Times
BY JEFF WILFORD, Jan. 17, 2003

RACINE -- Faced with a threatened class action civil rights lawsuit, the city has agreed to dismiss all 442 citations issued at a dance party in early November.

The city will also refund the money of people who pleaded guilty or no contest and paid fines, and will dismiss those citations as well, Assistant City Attorney Scott Lewis said in Municipal Court Thursday.

He said the citations will be expunged from recipients' records, meaning it will be as if the citations never happened.

The city will also revise the "disorderly house" ordinance that police used to issue the citations, and will take steps to ensure such mass citations are not issued again.

In return, the American Civil Liberties Union will not sue the city, as it had been prepared to do.

Lewis said his office decided it would be impossible to prove that each of the hundreds of people cited knew there were drugs present.

Raves are high-energy electronic music concerts where disc jockeys usually play the music. Drugs like Ecstasy and Ketamine are popular at raves, said Municipal Court Judge Rob Weber, as are glow sticks, which people on the drugs find fascinating, and pacifiers, which prevent people on Ecstasy from grinding their teeth.

Even so, people aren't breaking the law simply by attending a rave. The disc jockeys often have loyal fan followings, like bands do. Also, glow sticks and pacifiers are legal, and their mere presence is not proof of a rave.

"Individuals who attend rave parties ... have certain constitutional rights," Weber said.

The settlement brings to a close a case that stemmed from a controversial police raid of a rave being held at the Tradewinds Village late Nov. 2 and early Nov. 3. Police found drugs at the party and arrested three people on drug charges, but they also cited each and every person at the party for being "inmates of a disorderly house" where drugs were present. Police issued 442 citations that night.

The ACLU, which represented most of the people cited, argued the tickets violated their constitutional rights to free speech and free assembly. Furthermore, many of those at the rave, when interviewed by The Journal Times, claimed that they had either just gotten there when the police arrived, or didn't know that people were using drugs there.

Whether they knew drugs were present turned out to be a key issue in the city's decision to dismiss the citations. The ordinance targets people who "knowingly" are at a place where drugs are present.

The Racine raid marked the first time police issued citations to all patrons of a rave. In other cases around the country, police arrested or cited business owners who host raves, said Micabil Diaz, legal director of the ACLU of Wisconsin.

The ordinances police used are decades-old ordinances, designed to break up illegal gambling houses and houses of prostitution. They were not specifically designed to combat raves.

"At the time of the event, the police officers believed they were appropriately applying the city's ordinance," Lewis said, "but upon additional legal research and investigation, it was determined that the ordinance needs revision."

Lewis would not say what changes might be made to the ordinance. The city attorney's office will work with the Racine City Council to decide that.

The tickets given at the party originally carried a $968 fine for each person. The city knocked that down to $100 to entice people into pleaded guilty or no contest, thus avoiding the need to conduct hundreds of municipal trials.

When that didn't work, the city reduced the citation to disorderly conduct. When that didn't work, the city offered to expunge the original citation, and its drug references, from people's records forever.

Even so, few people accepted the deals. The majority of people cited chose to fight it out in court.

The city and the ACLU started negotiating a settlement in mid-December, and had most of the pieces in place by the beginning of January, Diaz said. They finalized the deal Thursday morning, then took it to the judge.

Racine Police Chief Dave Spenner spoke to his officers about the citations being dropped Thursday and released a statement to the public.

"The safety of this community is paramount in the eyes of city of Racine police officers," Spenner said. "I am disappointed we did not have the opportunity to present this case in court in front of Municipal Judge Weber, but will support the decision made by the city attorney.

"This situation does not slow police resolve to keep this community free of illegal drug use, and we will continue to faithfully discharge the responsibilities we have. It is our mission to keep neighborhoods safe and not expose one person to the risks of another's impaired judgment or driving ability."
Old January 21st, 2003, 12:41 AM   #31
stargurl

Citations given at rave dismissed - Milwaulkee Journal Sentinel
Those who had paid fines will get money back
By TOM KERTSCHER
tkertscher@journalsentinel.com
Last Updated: Jan. 18, 2003

Racine - The City of Racine agreed last week to dismiss citations against 440 rave-goers while insisting that its crackdown still would discourage future parties where illegal drug use might occur.

But under a settlement with the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin, which had threatened to sue over the citations, the city agreed that it will police such gatherings differently in the future. And one civil rights attorney said the mass dismissals means other communities should be wary of how they use their police power.

"There's a message to police that they better be careful before they go in and do things (at public gatherings), just not go in and do a sweep," Milwaukee attorney Michael Sperling said.

The city's two-month legal battle with the hundreds of teens and young adults who demanded Municipal Court trials ultimately ended when city attorneys concluded they couldn't prove that each party-goer knew that illegal drug activity was occurring during the Nov. 2 party.

Out of fairness, Assistant City Attorney Scott Lewis said, even rave attendees who pleaded no contest and paid a fine will get their citations dismissed and their money back.

The city also will expunge records so that no one will have a record of having been ticketed, he said.

But how the result of the crackdown might affect raves here and in other communities remains in debate.

Crystal Sheets, 20, a Kansasville resident who was ticketed, said she believes that Racine police would crack down on another rave, and that despite the ticket dismissals other communities would do the same.

"They'll find a way to bust other kids. They may not take the same approach, but they'll find a way," she said.

Racine Police Chief David Spenner said in a statement Thursday to his officers that he was disappointed with the dismissals. And visitors to Racine, he added, must understand that "this situation does not slow police resolve to keep this community free of illegal drug use."

The Racine citations started a buzz on the Internet partly because of the size of the original fines and because it was the first time anyone had heard of authorities going after rave attendees rather than the organizers of the party.

The rave, a type of party distinguished by electronic music and often associated with illegal drug use, was held at a bar near downtown.

Police descended on it after getting a tip that illegal drugs would be there and after undercover officers reportedly observed illegal drugs.

Police reasoned that the drug activity was apparent to everyone at the party; virtually anyone who could be detained was ticketed under the city's "inmate of a disorderly house ordinance/controlled substances" ordinance.

Lewis, the city attorney, moved quickly to defuse the situation, first offering to reduce the fine to $100 and then to remove any reference to drugs from the citation.

But the vast majority of party-goers refused the plea bargains and demanded Municipal Court trials, a potentially costly prospect for the city, given the need for officers to testify. More important, city attorneys ultimately concluded it was impossible to determine which people at the party knew illegal activities were going on.

The city's hand also was forced by the threat from the ACLU, which represented most of the party-goers and contended that the citations violated the attendees' constitutional right to association.

"I think that will send a strong message to other cities in the state and perhaps in the country that the constitutional rights of individuals trump any concern about possible drug use," said Racine attorney Erik Guenther, who assisted the ACLU.

Lewis said city officials still believe they were successful in deterring future parties where illegal drug use might occur.

"The Racine Police Department is not going to tolerate usage of illegal drugs. I think people know that now," he said.

Three people at the party were arrested on drug charges, which have not been dropped. And many party-goers said that although some people come to raves for Ecstasy or other drugs, most just enjoy the music.

Mike Phillips, 26, a suburban Baltimore resident who followed the Racine cases on the Internet, said the Racine party was held in a tavern - a big change from the early-day "underground" raves when illegal drugs were more common.
Old January 24th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #33
RoB-B
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to RoB-B
the fight for raves will never win

ever

there are to many people who care about our youth these days, it seems to be a bigger issue everyday, not just with raves, but teen pregnancy, violence, and drugs.

Witht the amount of drugs that are taken at raves these days, people have the right to be concerned and try and prevent it.
Im sure some of the cops or judges have kids our ages.

For them to think this could be there kids doing this, and then to have a chance to stop it, they would take it. Its a moral thing.

Or the cops just wanna look big. Either way, the only thing wrong with raves is the drugs. And im sure thats what the cops went in to stop. And so they should.

Drugs ruin, kill, hurt people
RoB-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2003, 12:16 AM   #34
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
Quote:
Originally posted by CottonKitty
[B]They wouldn't let anyone downstairs up, or anyone upstairs down. They blocked off all exits downstairs and forced 445 party kids to sit quietly while one by one they were each written out a $968 ticket for a disorderly house. This took *several* hours.

sounds like forceable confinement to me
DJ Tranzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2003, 01:27 AM   #35
RoB-B
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to RoB-B
1000 bucks, whoely shit, i would fight that

specially cause most of the people are kids, thats rediculous
RoB-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #36
MrGuv (Mathiau)
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via AIM to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via MSN to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via Yahoo to MrGuv (Mathiau)
Re: Police arrest 3, ticket 445 at rave...

Quote:
Originally posted by Xphox
and a 21-year-old Bartlett man was arrested on possible charges of felony possession of Ecstasy with intent to deliver and felony possession and delivery of ketamine hydrochloride, an anesthetic.

it wasn't me!! i swear!! - kew i got a relative in the US! wonder if i do them

<-------- last name is Bartlett.

pretty ridiculous - i would of pushed for a counter-suit personally.
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© They know what is what, but they don't know what is what........ they just strut..... WTF! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© Life ain't short, your just dead for too frick'n dam long! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸

Last edited by MrGuv (Mathiau) : March 7th, 2003 at 08:45 AM.
MrGuv (Mathiau) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 02:37 PM   #37
EagleScorpion
Hullaboarder
Asteroids Champion! High Score: 58340  Pinball Champion! High Score: 2755  Starship Legend Champion! High Score: 1442  Alien Terminator Champion! High Score: 48924 

Send a message via AIM to EagleScorpion
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Borg
USA! USA! USA!

How the fuck do you people live there?

GOOD QUESTION
Old April 14th, 2003, 03:34 AM   #38
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
I know this was forever ago, but I was also at this party, I didnt get a ticket but a lot of my friends did, and of course now you know they didnt end up paying them
This company, drop bass network, that threw this party had thrown MANY parties at this same venue and I think the one before it, Jesus Raves, was much bigger than this one. So much dumbness in the states *runs to canada*
It also should be mentioned that more than half the profits from this event were going to renovate a historic theater in Racine WI, which is the same place the event was held....I just thought that part was interesting..