Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Get Hype
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old April 22nd, 2003, 03:22 PM   #26
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
Im sorry but her behavior can not be justified. Nobody can say that its their right to be tipped. Its simply a privelege for a job well done. Pouring a beer does not deserve a tip, especially if youre going to be a cunt about it.

In England NOBODY tips, so all the whiney bitches that go into the service industry on this continent should be counting their blessings and not their change.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 04:21 PM   #27
Arkane
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Arkane
yah but in england they get paid much better I hear...where the normal wage of a bartender here is $5.85/h
Old April 22nd, 2003, 05:14 PM   #28
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
Exactally. In Canada and the US people who make tips only get paid a very small amount. After taxes are taken out of their checks they are left with very little and many times nothing at all.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 06:50 PM   #29
*MoonDancer*

Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to *MoonDancer* Send a message via MSN to *MoonDancer* Send a message via Yahoo to *MoonDancer*
I Tip people as long as they dont give me bad service..
IF the person did something a little extra..ill tip them a lot more.

IF people include their tip when they give you their change...
That = no tip for shure...

IM quite mad....i was wondering why my drinks were costing so much ..i just figured the price of drinks at the opera house had gone up..so when she gave me my change i still tipped her!

which means that most of us probably gave them DOUBLE tips..
SInce they included their own tip before handing back change to us!
ARGH!
thats all
Kris*
Old April 22nd, 2003, 07:19 PM   #30
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
I've alerted the Opera House management to this thread and they were very interested to hear about it. Turns out the staff get paid a lot more than $20.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 07:25 PM   #31
limey
Hullaboarder

Damn... so they were conning us?

I hope this doesnt reflect badly on the other bartenders coz they all seemed cool.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 07:30 PM   #32
renegade_emcee
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to renegade_emcee Send a message via Yahoo to renegade_emcee
the girl downstairs was super nice i paid for my water forgot it then when back and explained teh situation and she gave me my water i was surprized and happy. the girl upstiars i dunno i bought 3 beers and just gaver her 5's everytime and walked away before she woudl even have a chance to give me the change i don't really care for .50, but the fact is how can a person expect to get tips if there demanding or being bitchy. i mean it's just like guys thinking they will get laid if they say to a girl you have nice tits and ass wonna fuck. just doesn't work that way. i dunno but securty is super nice there BIG UP NAT!!! and ELVIS! ther awesome :P
Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:03 PM   #33
NotificationOff
Hullaboarder

My take on tipping

From what I know, in Toronto, you're supposed to tip 15% minimum.

Like someone said above, when those people are being taxed, they look at restaurant sales and say "Well, you probably
received 8%(?) tips on avg." So they are losing money if you don't tip.

There's also a big uproar over whether or not people report their tips over the 8%(?) mark, or just the bare minimum.

Anyway.. the real point is that if you're going to a place and you're getting service, "expect" to pay 15%. If you don't like it, you have the choice to not go there. McDonalds and the like don't have any expectations of tipping (yet). Oddly enough, I've seen some convenience stores start up with tip jars.

Personally, I hate tipping so I avoid these situations when I can. ie: eating out at a restaurant less and just making my own dinner.

As far as getting "raped" on the price goes. Here's two cheesy pieces of advice:

1) Ask the price of it BEFORE they bring/prepare it.
2) Ask another bartender (esp. at another "counter" if possible) what the price is for the same drink.

If it's a ripoff, just don't buy it. You don't have to buy it! I can't stress this enough.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:16 PM   #34
MadChemist
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MadChemist
Automatic tipping is the bane of western civilization. How are you supposed to reward good service then you are supposed to tip EVERYONE ?...

OTOH, if you can afford to tip you should since the people working are getting screwed by management and only making 20$ a night.... and if hulla-goers get a reputation as bad tippers there may be more problems in the future getting a venue and then we would all be sad.

MadChemist
Old April 22nd, 2003, 09:59 PM   #35
limey
Hullaboarder

^^^ but thats the thing, even tho she told me she was making a flat $20, she was lying to make more tips. It sounds so outrageous but given the bitch attitude i was subjected to im not surprised at all. Let me remind you:
Quote:
Originally posted by anabolic frolic
I've alerted the Opera House management to this thread and they were very interested to hear about it. Turns out the staff get paid a lot more than $20.

Also,
Quote:
Anyway.. the real point is that if you're going to a place and you're getting service, "expect" to pay 15%. If you don't like it, you have the choice to not go there. McDonalds and the like don't have any expectations of tipping (yet).
We're talking about the opera house here. It would be the bar equivelent of a McDonalds. I would never EXPECT to tip anyone. If i get shitty service then I wont tip them and maybe that will teach server not to be such a bitch. We're talking about beer here aswell. Its not like a mixed drink (which were over priced anyway), we're talking about opening a bottle and pouring it into a plastic cup. A monkey could do that, and im sure it would be a lot more of a pleasant situation. I'd probably tip a monkey too.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 11:28 PM   #36
*MoonDancer*

Send a message via ICQ to *MoonDancer* Send a message via MSN to *MoonDancer* Send a message via Yahoo to *MoonDancer*
This was the first time i had been to the opera house that the bartenders upstairs were so bitchy and first time they ever INCLUDED their tips into prices....

I think the 2 girls working...thought that since they were working a RAVE...everyone would be so FUCT that they wouldnt know the difference!

Kris*
Old April 23rd, 2003, 12:41 AM   #37
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
i have major issues about this, sometimes i dont tip people, if i get shitty service, or someone is an ass, and my friends have more than once called me cheap for this. Personally I dont think anyone being a bitch to me or not even doing the bare minimum of their work should ever be tipped, or they will think they should always act like that...and to the people who say you should always tip because of taxes or something, i have worked as a waitress and it simply isnt the case, you do have to claim your tips, but your actual tip amount not some made up estimate, and I agree with most of you NEVER EVER assume you are getting a tip, EVER thats sooo rude..sometimes the pizza delivery boys do that and even if i was planning on tipping i dont because i think it is awful!
The security thought my ID was fake or something because they said they couldnt except it (a completely legal minnesota drivers license) so I didnt get the *pleasure* of dealing with these people.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 04:17 AM   #38
CandyGirl23
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to CandyGirl23 Send a message via MSN to CandyGirl23
The security thought my ID was fake too.... I'm 21 and NY drivers license's are pretty difficult to make....I guess they just had a lot of people trying to sneak in. However, the service at the upstairs bar was crappy and as someone who works for tips I never stoop so low as to tell people they should be tipping me. It sounds like the opera house needs to deal with its employees behaviour before their next event there.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:37 PM   #39
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
Firstly, it's extrememly rude for the bartenders to demand tips. I was given courteous service all night by the cutie in the red belly top.

Secondly, it's extremely rude to not tip whatsoever. If you don't want to tip, don't drink. Don't bitch about the price of booze being more at the bar, because that's where they make their money. You're not paying the extra dollar to the bartender, you're paying it to the bar owner. If you can't afford to tip, then you probably shouldn't be spending your money on booze in the first place.

As an (out of work) bartender myself, you guys are quite pissing me off with the whole 'automatic tipping' debate. I detest going out with people who are shitty tippers. I've chipped in $20 on my $15 of the bill, and seen the total end up as $65 on $60... cheap fucks, and I let them know.

If it's shit service, complain, or don't leave a good tip, but otherwise, TIP YOU CHEAP BASTARDS!

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:42 PM   #40
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
Quote:
Originally posted by CandyGirl23
The security thought my ID was fake too.... I'm 21 and NY drivers license's are pretty difficult to make....I guess they just had a lot of people trying to sneak in. However, the service at the upstairs bar was crappy and as someone who works for tips I never stoop so low as to tell people they should be tipping me. It sounds like the opera house needs to deal with its employees behaviour before their next event there.

I felt all sad and young all night with my big black X's i am SO older than 19 haha
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:03 AM   #41
djcyclone
Hullaboarder

<~~ cheap tipper and proud of it.

I'm not a drinker at all, so tipping for a bottle of beer is stupid to me.

Even at restaurants I don't like to tip large. It's not that I had shitty service, I'm just cheap like that.

*puts anti-flame suit on*
Old April 24th, 2003, 04:11 AM   #42
*ShAnN*
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to *ShAnN*
Quote:
Originally posted by Everybodies_Daddy
Firstly, it's extrememly rude for the bartenders to demand tips. I was given courteous service all night by the cutie in the red belly top.

Secondly, it's extremely rude to not tip whatsoever. If you don't want to tip, don't drink. Don't bitch about the price of booze being more at the bar, because that's where they make their money. You're not paying the extra dollar to the bartender, you're paying it to the bar owner. If you can't afford to tip, then you probably shouldn't be spending your money on booze in the first place.

As an (out of work) bartender myself, you guys are quite pissing me off with the whole 'automatic tipping' debate. I detest going out with people who are shitty tippers. I've chipped in $20 on my $15 of the bill, and seen the total end up as $65 on $60... cheap fucks, and I let them know.

If it's shit service, complain, or don't leave a good tip, but otherwise, TIP YOU CHEAP BASTARDS!

MCED

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finally someone agrees with me!

Just as you remember your shitty service because you didn't tip, the bartender remembers that too. Im tellin ya, tip well on your first drink/round/whatever and the bartender will remember you and (most likely) treat you like gold. It may be shitty but it's the way life works. You must make yourself stand out if you would like to be recognized.

And just like MCED said, if you cant afford to tip, DON'T DRINK in bars/clubs.
Old April 24th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #43
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to pointy_sticks Send a message via AIM to pointy_sticks Send a message via Yahoo to pointy_sticks
Quote:
Originally posted by djcyclone
<~~ cheap tipper and proud of it.

I'm not a drinker at all, so tipping for a bottle of beer is stupid to me.

Even at restaurants I don't like to tip large. It's not that I had shitty service, I'm just cheap like that.

*puts anti-flame suit on*

You're an ass, dude. If I was still a waitress I would spit in your food and give you SARS.
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #44
limey
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by Everybodies_Daddy
As an (out of work) bartender myself, you guys are quite pissing me off with the whole 'automatic tipping' debate....

...If it's shit service, complain, or don't leave a good tip, but otherwise, TIP YOU CHEAP BASTARDS!
Automatic tipping eh? Thats entire the problem im stabbing at. If the service is shite the you are not deserving of the $5.95/hr (or whatever minimum serving rate is) let alone deserving of a tip. A tip is a reward for good service. The idea is that it's postative reinforcement for a job well done. People in the service industry seem to get it into their head that its their god given right to mark up costs to compensate for the terrific job theyve done that nobody could do. Im sorry but we're talking about opening a beer and pouring it into a plastic cup. When im in a resturant I tip regardless... usually 10%. But if im impressed with the service then i'll be more generous.

Im curious when exactly was it carved in stone that i need to tip the useless bitch (and i use that term generically) that could not properly fulfill his or her service.
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #45
grincoregenetix
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to grincoregenetix
AAAAHHHH SARS, i do hope that clears up before the next hulla

ya know, my bf steve went to buy a drink from the girl upstairs and her hair went on fire from the candle burning...and he grabbed it and put it out. n she didn't say thanx or anything.

shit, she coulda lost all her hair!!! i woulda given out a free fuckin drink or sumthin.

ah well, party was great anywaze
Old April 24th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #46
MadChemist
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MadChemist
I've heard that if you are a sh!tty or non-tipper then you can expect to get "special sauce" with your meal if you return to the same restaurant/bar about 50% of the time

I don't like them odds.

Quote:
Originally posted by pointy_sticks

You're an ass, dude. If I was still a waitress I would spit in your food and give you SARS.
Old April 24th, 2003, 06:43 PM   #47
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to pointy_sticks Send a message via AIM to pointy_sticks Send a message via Yahoo to pointy_sticks
I know a restaraunt where every night the cops getting off work would go for burgers, and every night the staff would line up and each spit in them.

I'm glad I'm not a cop.
Old April 24th, 2003, 06:57 PM   #48
kraver1981
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to kraver1981
^ LMAO

When ever I go out to eat I usually tip 25% if I get good service...more if the service is great...less if the service is sub-par...I thought the girl downstairs was really nice though...I tipped her in canadian money so I don't know how much I gave her...

And once again I was dumb and I forgot to go up to the balcony *rawr*...maybe next time...
Old April 24th, 2003, 07:26 PM   #49
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
i usually tip between 15-20% of the bill.. and basically round it to the nearest dollar, or leave whatever change there is..

if there isn't enough change, then i just empty my pockets of whatever i have, but i make sure not to leave pennies.. even if i tip well, pennies i find are kinda an insult.. no matter how many of them there is..

** New - Dj Tranzit - This Is Why I'm Hot - 60 min hardcore fuckery ***
Old April 24th, 2003, 07:27 PM   #50
Troile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Troile
Restaurants are different.

I usually tip at least a couple bucks...I tend to just order water instead of a drink. If the waiter doesn't have a problem with that I tip what the drink would've cost.

I've pitched in 10$ for tips on more than one occaision...depends if my mood strikes me and I had a great time b/c of the service.

In fast food tips rock. Working at a coffee shop...getting 5 or 10 cent tips is awesome. I serve so many customers...if they all gave me 10 cents I'd be making sweet money. I usually end up with about a buck at the end of the day.

meh The best tip I like to get from people is a smile. A simple smile makes my day SOOO much better. There are sooo many rude customers...you wouldn't believe these people...I never thought it was this bad.

If you don't want to tip money thats cool. I don't expect it. But PLEASE give me a big smile...or make sure to say your pleases and thank yous. It means a lot to me when customers do.