Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Get Hype
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old April 24th, 2003, 07:31 PM   #51
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
i always try to say "thanks" or "ok.. see ya later" or something friendly when i am served..

i know it adds just that little bit..
you don't notice it, until people stop saying it...

** New - Dj Tranzit - This Is Why I'm Hot - 60 min hardcore fuckery ***
Old April 24th, 2003, 07:36 PM   #52
djcyclone
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by pointy_sticks

You're an ass, dude. If I was still a waitress I would spit in your food and give you SARS.

Dude man, it's not like they don't do it anyway.

Plus I already got SARS... from you.

BO!

Old April 25th, 2003, 02:31 AM   #53
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
Quote:
Originally posted by limey

Automatic tipping eh? ........ Im sorry but we're talking about opening a beer and pouring it into a plastic cup.

Welcome to Canada, sunshine. It's our custom. When I'm behind the bar, and you don't tip, you'll be at the back of the line for the rest of the night.

Whether you see pouring drinks as a skill or not, it's a custom to tip. If you can't afford to tip, don't go drinking, you cheap cunts.

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Old April 25th, 2003, 04:47 AM   #54
DoubleWide
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DoubleWide
^^^^
Totally agree........I was the only bartender tonite and worked my ass off. I find it funny that people get pissy and bitch about service when they can plainly see I am swamped trying to make 10 or so drinks and cash out.

Time to vent....
Although I will never demand a tip, there are regulars i have that come in and order about 70 bucks worth of alcohol and leave me a buck fifty. FUCK THAT.
I even had 2 guys stiff me today on a 60 dollar tab.

See if they wil ever get a drink poured from me again.
If u cant leave something do come in.
Old April 25th, 2003, 10:52 AM   #55
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
ya see its that kind of attitude that sours people on tipping.

you think that poeple dont work just as hard for their money.

i used to work in a factory and never once did i recieve a tip or bonus in anyway. why should bartenders be treated any differently?

FUCK THAT
Old April 25th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #56
Arkane
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Arkane
I've worked in a factory too....it pays $18/hour for much less work then a min wage job....plus you get benefits, cost of living in most cases, overtime. so how can you compare that to bartending?
Old April 25th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #57
RaverPrincess
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to RaverPrincess
^ yep
**warning: rant coming up**
I've always been workin in the restaurant biz up til now. Now I work in retail but I left the waitressing because I was so sick and tired of stupid customers treating me like I was their personal fucking servant. I would bust my ass every single night for these people and I'd get like a buck on the table after they left. And the way that MANY MANY people treat servers is absolutely disgusting. Just because we are serving you your food and drinks does NOT give you the right to treat us with any less respect than you would treat anyone else. And as far as tipping goes, a few other people have said it but I'll reiterate - IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO TIP, THEN STAY THE FUCK HOME!!! It is an accepted part of eating out for dinner. You tip the people who bring you your food, your drinks and who make sure your evening out at the restaurant is enjoyable. If you don't like tipping, stay home and make your own damned food. And for anyone who complains about having to tip - you try it for one night and see what it's like to run your ass off and kiss the customers asses for $5.95 an hour and THEN see if you don't expect tips after....So if you want to compare working in a factory to bartending or serving - servers don't even GET minimum wage, so just to survive, we have to bust our humps TEN times harder than a factory worker would ever have to JUST to get by. And trust me, it doesnt' feel too good to know that you have to count on the generosity of your customers just to be able to buy groceries that week. So attitudes like yours just make it worse for us.

As for the bartender at the Opera House, maybe she was having a bad night, maybe someone had pissed her off, maybe she had just served someone a bunch of drinks and they didn't tip. These things could have all added up to make her attitude the way it was. Maybe she just had enough of serving alcohol to a bunch of ravers who weren't tipping. If you can't afford to throw a loonie her way for every drink you buy, maybe you shouldn't be drinking out at a bar then.

Sorry for the rant, just had to put in my two cents.
Old April 25th, 2003, 12:28 PM   #58
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to pointy_sticks Send a message via AIM to pointy_sticks Send a message via Yahoo to pointy_sticks
I used to work at a place where servers get less than $3 an hour and most of the rich asshats who eat there tip very poorly. It's not like they can't afford to, they're loaded...not to mention they're generally rude and presumptuous. Bah.

Luckily for me, my friend's mom did payroll...so I just clocked in as a sandwich-maker for $8 an hour.
Old April 25th, 2003, 12:48 PM   #59
RaverPrincess
Hullaboarder

hahaha
yeah i think that the min wage for the service industry needs to come up....i mean, the gov is assuming that everyone out there is tipping the 15% that they should be....but no, that is just simply NOT the case...I don't like having to whore myself out as a waitress just to make a couple bucks...I'd rather them bring up the min wage and then have any tips as just a bonus for good work instead of something we have to try and pay our bills with. If servers got paid more per hour, then people who were cheap bastards and didn't wanna tip wouldn't have to....
Old April 25th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #60
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by limey
ya see its that kind of attitude that sours people on tipping.

you think that poeple dont work just as hard for their money.

i used to work in a factory and never once did i recieve a tip or bonus in anyway. why should bartenders be treated any differently?

FUCK THAT

What service are you providing at a factory?

MCED
Old April 25th, 2003, 01:06 PM   #61
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Speaking of service, I could really use to eat out more often.

MCED
Old April 25th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #62
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to pointy_sticks Send a message via AIM to pointy_sticks Send a message via Yahoo to pointy_sticks
Tips are retarded anyway. How about we just pay people more for their work and eliminate the whole thing? It's just a pain in the ass for everyone; customers have to figure out who you're supposed to tip and how much, and servers can't pay their bills if they don't get tips...it's a nice thing to do to show gratitude for excellent service, but making it a requirement is dumb.
Old April 25th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #63
RaverPrincess
Hullaboarder

^ agreed!!
just get rid of the "expected tipping" and bring up servers' wages. Then tips can just be something that people do if they recieve excellent service, and waitresses don't have to worry about not making any money.
Old April 25th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #64
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
^^^ Right, it has to be one or the other.

It isn't the server/bartender that is expecting to be tipped, it is the resturaunt/bar that is expecting them to make tips. Therefore they don't get paid jack. Tips are their income.

I tip higher for good service, but I always tip at least 15% even for bad service. I look at it this way: I have a sallery job, if i have a bad day and don't do a good job, nothing gets taken out of my paycheck. If the service is really bad i would complain to the management before I left a poor tip.
Old April 25th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #65
missahfly
Hullaboarder

Crap, I was too drunk to even notice the bartenders taking extra cash. I only remember two girls up there. Yeah they looked a bit on the pissed side. But i kind of understand..they probably knew they were not going to make alot at the bar... but doesn't justify them treating people like shit...I think i made up for other people not tipping...i was having a good time so i was easily tipping 5 buxs on $10 drinks...i guess that's why i got such friendly service after....basically anyting to do with customer service kind of suxs..I dont have patience for people..I totally have respect for people that are friendly and happy serving you at bars...I'd punk off everyone with my attitude..forget the tips...
M
Old April 25th, 2003, 02:14 PM   #66
*ShAnN*
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to *ShAnN*
I pretty much tip no matter where I go...
everywhere here in whistler has a tip jar.
I just HATE having small change so I usually just throw in all my change (and empty my wallet of it, if I havent in a while)

Why cant we be like Australia and have everything rounded to a 5 or a 0????

PS. Australians/Euopeans are generally awful tippers (if they tip at all) It's not custom for them to do so at home so they assume it's not custom here. I had a friend from England learn the hard way ahahaha Poor Ollie!
Old April 25th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #67
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
Seriously! It is so nice in Australia to pay nice even amount for things. No pennies!
Old April 25th, 2003, 06:55 PM   #68
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by Busta
I have a sallery job, if i have a bad day and don't do a good job, nothing gets taken out of my paycheck. If the service is really bad i would complain to the management before I left a poor tip.

Word.

MCED
Old April 26th, 2003, 12:17 AM   #69
MrGuv (Mathiau)
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via AIM to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via MSN to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via Yahoo to MrGuv (Mathiau)
i tip on anything - i make good cash and i tip good - my min tip on anything is $5 - except for a beer. but if i order something like eat out, and it is more then $10 - then $5 tip - cab's - more then $10 - $5 tip min.

that is how i am - i worked in the fodo industry, so has my sister - i see how shit it can be when u work your ass off and u get some prick who give u $2 on a 100 bill and they were there for hours!

Evn some people who are moody, i try to talk to them, just to see if they are rude, or just ahd a bad day. If they are straight up rude, i won't really tip, i leave something, but not nearly as much if they would of simply been a little nicer.

I have bene known to tip dam well, and i always will! - but for ANY person tio EXPECT a tip is rude.and should not be expecting anything.
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© They know what is what, but they don't know what is what........ they just strut..... WTF! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© Life ain't short, your just dead for too frick'n dam long! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
Old April 26th, 2003, 12:27 AM   #70
MrGuv (Mathiau)
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via AIM to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via MSN to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via Yahoo to MrGuv (Mathiau)
For those that don't make good tips - no offence, find better places to work......?

My sister worked @ the keg, Tucker market place (i worked with her - wicked tag team) and a few other places and out of say 5 night a week - 3 or 4she would be taking home 100-300$ a night on tips! from any of the places she worked @ - yes she ahd bad night, those were usually slow night like mon / tues. She often mad more then me! a week and she had a lower wage and i worked more hours then her and my wage was twice what hers was!

So, i think some of you are doing something wrong, or are not as friendly and nice as you think you are, or are just working in pure shit holes that attact poor people.
Old April 26th, 2003, 04:44 AM   #71
DynamicHalfDuo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DynamicHalfDuo Send a message via AIM to DynamicHalfDuo
Quote:
Originally posted by grincoregenetix
AAAAHHHH SARS, i do hope that clears up before the next hulla

ya know, my bf steve went to buy a drink from the girl upstairs and her hair went on fire from the candle burning...and he grabbed it and put it out. n she didn't say thanx or anything.

shit, she coulda lost all her hair!!! i woulda given out a free fuckin drink or sumthin.

ah well, party was great anywaze

Holy shit, I saw that! I was directly behind him waiting to get a beer... first I laughed then I panicked then I laughed again when it was out... craziness.

On a related note, I THOUGHT the price of beer seemed more than usual... I assumed the price had just gone up, but if they were taking my tips out already, then I was double tipping! As a former server, I always tip fairly well (especially since I hate lugging home a pocket full of loonies that I can't use here) but it irritates me whenever someone assumes they should recieve a tip. Yes, they should, and yes, they will (from me), but it's pretentious to assume. It's like bringing a shopping bag to your family Christmas party - you KNOW you are getting gifts, but it's pretentious to demand them.
Old April 26th, 2003, 05:02 AM   #72
bucky
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to bucky Send a message via AIM to bucky
there was beer at hulla?????

damnit.... i had no clue!
Old April 26th, 2003, 12:30 PM   #73
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
i work in retail..
but i do rentals and shit too..

i always bust my ass for customers.. at points i have taken time OFF to personally go somewhere and help someone as a favor..

i carry shit out to people's cars ALL THE TIME.... rarely do people help me out and even worse, rarely do they ever get the door for me, when i CLEARLY have both hands tied up carrying a VERY heavy item.

i have been working at this job for 4 years now.. (1 month shy), and i have been tipped once... $20.00.... that was for going out and 2 towns over to bring someone a cable and some CDs they needed... THEN fixing a couple problems that saved their ASS from not being able to have a show that night (saving them over $500 and a ruined reputation)... i got a thank you so much, i totally owe you, here.. take some gas money or something.

now this customer is one in a million.. he is VERY good to deal with, and i have always enjoyed helping him out when i can... he is someone i would go the extra mile for because he always has something nice to say and is in a good mood when he's around..

others, i go out of my way to kinda "forget" to include some shit in their rentals because they always bitch and complain about stuff, causing them to have to come back to pickup what they forgot..

moral of the story here..
i work in retail.. i don't serve food or drinks, but i do something very very similar.. i don't get tipped... (ok.. once).. i don't complain.. i was getting paid minimum wage, and i busted my ass off just like food industry people do..

now look at it in another perspective..
do the greeters/cooks/bus boys make tips? no...
just the wait staff and the bartenders...
do the bartenders make tips when they mix a drink, and a waitress serves them? no..

see.. it's all in the wait staff...
personally.. i think they SHOULD get some type of a tip... although i think MANY of them are greedy...
Old April 26th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #74
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
Quote:
Originally posted by Everybodies_Daddy

What service are you providing at a factory?

MCED

I was deburring pieces of metal for NCR, Hammond, Pitney Bowes, and Dimplex. Not once when the factory owners took a tour around did I get a tip. Those guys were making millions...now compare that to my $9/hour (thats canadian dollars for the americans reading this.)

And if youre going to say if i cant afford to tip then dont go out... If you servers cant afford not to be tipped then get another job. Im sure if you ever talk to a cook and they complain about tips then you'll tell them the exact same thing.

It works both ways.

Dont complain about tips and NEVER bitch at customers about it.
Old April 26th, 2003, 02:40 PM   #75
DoubleWide
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DoubleWide
I have never demanded a tip or not given back the correct amount of change. Further more i will never walk away from a customer with out saying thank you even if i just recieved a poor tip. Thats just rude. The fact is though I only make 2.65 an hour and society has deemed me tip worthy.

Now im not going to bitch, because if i wasnt making the money i was i wouldnt be in this industry. It is just one of those things, if u have been in the food industry u understand our point. We get paid shit.

Ohh and bartenders and bus boys do get tipped a percentage of our sales. They also make more than servers, which means sometimes they walk out with more money than us.

On another note my second job in the summer is working as a mason. It is unfair to compare any job to one that tips becuase you are still getting paid in one job and relying solely on tips in the other. Besides on one hand u have a strenuous physical job and the other a highly stressful work environment that takes its tol on you mentally. Ask any one in the industry it takes alot of patience and control not to tell someone to go shove it especially if you are having a bad day.