The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Accelerator
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old February 13th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #76
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to pointy_sticks Send a message via AIM to pointy_sticks Send a message via Yahoo to pointy_sticks
The $4 for water blew my mind. I haven't seen prices like that in years, and only then from MUCH shadier places. Water is a necessity, it should be affordable.
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:40 AM   #77
TrYpPy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 6  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 8 View Users Journal
^^ Agree totally. Of course we are buying "bottled" water though. We could always drink from the bathroom sink... ewww.. 4get that. I'm sure the Opera House would actually make more $ if they lowered water prices. People might not resort to re-filling their water in the washrooms. I'm sure they would much rather enjoy a nice cold fresh bottle rather then piss warm bathroom style.
Old February 15th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #78
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to pointy_sticks Send a message via AIM to pointy_sticks Send a message via Yahoo to pointy_sticks
When the water is $1-2, I have no problem with buying several throughout the night, but when its $4 I'll resort to sticking my face under the sink before I'll pay those kinds of prices. I know for a fact that those things run less than a dollar when you buy by the case, that kind of markup on a product that could mean the difference between a good time and a trip to the hospital (for certain people) is just irresponsible IMO.
Old February 15th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #79
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
isnt price gouging like that illegal anyway?
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #80
Phlux
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Phlux
Quote:
Originally posted by limey
isnt price gouging like that illegal anyway?

Nope... Because you still have a choice. You can choose to walk out of the venue and buy water down the street at the mini-mart.

Price gouging is usually only illegal when there is a crisis and prices are artificially inflated.

InOntario, there is currently no legislation making price gouging illegal, even in a crisis. Apparently the Liberal Government is looking into it.
Old February 18th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #81
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
I spoke to the opera house about the price of water and they told me it's in line with what's being charged at other all-night functions such as System and the Guv, so could someone confirm that for me?
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #82
TrYpPy
Hullaboarder

^^ I see it being true Chris. Can't confirm on that..but 4$ sounds right for bottled water @ pretty much any club. Just sucks though :P haha. Still.. I don't mind dishing out 4$ on ONE bottled water.. so I still don't see what the big deal is. Though a lower price would allow more people to purchase fresh cold "Mountain Spring Water" hahaha..

damn... now i'm thristy
Old February 18th, 2004, 08:11 PM   #83
orbz
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to orbz
Quote:
Originally posted by anabolic frolic
I spoke to the opera house about the price of water and they told me it's in line with what's being charged at other all-night functions such as System and the Guv, so could someone confirm that for me?

Who cares? If System and Guv charge $20, does that make it okay for the Opera House to? If System and Guv jumped off a bridge, would hulla too? It's a slap in the face to be treated this way because we don't really have other options. They've got the opportunity to fuck us over, so they're taking us for everything they can.
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #84
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
The last time I sold my own water was over 4 years ago and we sold it for $2. I bought the water rights outright from the club (the Newz) for $7000, because that was the only way I could guarantee that people wouldn't have any problem refilling their water in the bathroom, since at the time night clubs were posting guards by the washrooms to stop that (or turn off the cold water altogether). That may seem incredible, but that was the kind of shenanigans we (the rave scene) had to deal with back then with club owners (not the opera house though - they've never stopped people from accessing the sinks).

I lost at least $4 grand on water sales that night, since basically I paid all that money to give people an easy way to refill their water for free.

Anyways, I will continue to discuss this with the venue. I don't see any of that money, but they do care that I'm happy and don't want to ruin the goodwill with my patrons. You will never see water for $2 at any nightclub ever again, but I think if it was down to 3.50 as it has been for years no one would say as much.
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:36 PM   #85
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Maybe they're just catering to the poor in Detroit, because the only places I've seen with $4 water are the places with a dress code and a drink minimum.

Last I checked $3 was standard?
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:46 PM   #86
neverlandgurl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 18  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 10 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to neverlandgurl Send a message via Yahoo to neverlandgurl
i dunno, i don't mind paying the 4 dollars...canadian at that..for water. considering there are places that turn off the water on you (*cough* buffalo *cough*) and when i can, i fill up my water bottle at least 4 or 5 times if not more...so even at 2 or 3 dollars a pop...paying 4 dollars for the bottle isn't that bad
and for the person who said you can walk out of the venue and get one from the drug store...lots of places won't let you out back into the venue once you have left.
*shrug* after paying a ridiculous amount for one alcoholic drink in canada (around 12 dollars at EOM)...it's no wonder water prices are so high

striking inspiration into the hearts of others: http://www.hattrixx.co.uk
Old February 19th, 2004, 02:23 AM   #87
neverlandgurl
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to neverlandgurl Send a message via Yahoo to neverlandgurl
you're tellin me!
Old February 19th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #88
TrYpPy
Hullaboarder

^^^ LOL ...so true

Who in their right mind would pay 12$ for a drink...
Old February 19th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #89
Keron_DaFunky1
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Keron_DaFunky1 Send a message via Yahoo to Keron_DaFunky1

$12 for a drink is just flatout stupid
Old February 19th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #90
raveDave
Hullaboarder
towerball Champion! High Score: 6380  Spy Hunter Champion! High Score: 12470  Roulette Champion! High Score: 58500  Flash Poker Champion! High Score: 50100 

Location: Detroit Rock City!! No seriously we have really cool rocks here!!!
Journal Entries: 21 View Users Journal
I'm fine with $4 or even $5 (canadian) water, provided we can keep refilling in the sinks. But I have a suggestion: How about provide a free bottle of water to the Newbies as they come in the door? If they're new to parties, they may not have budgeted for $4 water for nine hours.

Just a suggestion.
and basslines.
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:03 PM   #91
JaMGiRL
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to JaMGiRL
I think that 3 bux is the average. I just found it odd that for no apparent reason they had up'd the price by .50 cents. Still I can buy a case of water for that normaly. I no that a rave is a little different than a club (sooo many people drink water instead of alcohol) But whatever happened to giving designated drivers non-alcoholic drinks at a reasonable price? Most bars will cater to DD's by doing so. Again I understand that the majority of hulla kids aren't drinking alcohol, bvut as others have mentioned, Lower the prices... Up your water sales! I'm sure it would be in the opera house's benifit in the long run.

rock.you.softly/rock.me.steady

PR ~ jamgirl
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #92
HEATER
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to HEATER
who cares about .50 or 1.00
4 dolla is hardly unreasonable
I know you are going to say but I can buy water @ the 7-11 for a dollar
You can also buy a case of beer for 35 bucks at the beer store

no one bitches that beer is 4.50 or whatever they charge
you cant even fill your beer bottle back up
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #93
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Nobody's going to die if they can't afford a beer though.
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:41 PM   #94
orbz
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to orbz
I don't want an "average club" experience when I go to hulla though...
Whatever happened to respectable business dealings? The Opera House is behaving the way the drug dealers at Hulla are except you'll probably have better luck getting high off the water than random pills at hulla, hehehe

I dunno.. I'd rather the Opera House give treat us nicely and make us love them for doing so, rather than resent them but feeling like we don't really have other options.
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #95
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Other options = folding a flyer into a cup and drinking from the sink.

Kickin' it oldschool.
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:46 AM   #96
neverlandgurl
Friendship Crew

Quote:
Originally posted by Keron_DaFunky1

$12 for a drink is just flatout stupid

i would have refused it had it not already been made and rung up...i'm not good at being pissy at people and i never ask how much a drink is before i order it...hell it wasn't even with the top shelf stuff!
Old February 20th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #97
candykates
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to candykates Send a message via MSN to candykates Send a message via Yahoo to candykates
Quote:
Originally posted by pointy_sticks

Kickin' it oldschool.
dude hellyeah. dtown ghetto shit up in this house

tell me, am i right to think that there could be nothing better...?
Old February 21st, 2004, 01:31 AM   #98
DJ Wolf
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to DJ Wolf Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Wolf
Quote:
Originally posted by pointy_sticks

Kickin' it oldschool.

Hahah! I love it!
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:37 PM   #99
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Is a vicious circle.... Do u see any other clubs charging that much? I think not.... These bar owners know ravers and water go together like peanuts and Jam( bad analogy I know, I just woke up, lol) .... They can fix the price whatever their little heart desires... But the samething can be said for promoters/ orginisers... For example, there is a certain rave production which should remain nameless when it first started, it's first rave they brough really good local djs along with djs from the US with ticket prices being VERY decent... Now they are doing the samething( local djs and some from the US) but have doubled their prices since then... Why? Probably because they know they have build a sort of a fan clubbase... It's ridiculous.... So, most people in the rave scene; weather they are promoters or venu owners are guility of UNFAIR business practises... They seem to think because most ravers are not old enough they can take advantage of their innocence and get away with it... And gues what? They are. It is up to U to boycott any rave promoters who do this and tell the next waitress who tells you that water is $5 u can have a decent meal @ Mcdonalds after the party with that money ..... Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
Old February 21st, 2004, 05:54 PM   #100
Mr Skittles
Friendship Crew

Photos: 7  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mr Skittles Send a message via MSN to Mr Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Skittles
Of course they can fix prices. they know that people are goin 2 continue payin it, so why not keep sellin it and make a nice profit?

Lucky Star Travel

"A movin groove with a massive plan"

TOP FLIGHT MUTHA-F*CKIN SECURITY