The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Birthday Funtopia 7
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:32 AM   #26
Mr Skittles
Friendship Crew

Photos: 7  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mr Skittles Send a message via MSN to Mr Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Skittles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everybodies_Daddy
Next time I get a chance to play in Rochester or Syracuse, I'll be all over the ferry like a fat kid on a jar of mayo.

MCED

you mean like a hobo on a sandwich

Lucky Star Travel

"A movin groove with a massive plan"

TOP FLIGHT MUTHA-F*CKIN SECURITY
Old June 4th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #27
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Saffron Send a message via Yahoo to Saffron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles17
you mean like a hobo on a sandwich

You'd be surprised how many hobo's are picky about what they eat. I work in a soup kitchen and they bitch dood.
- Thom Yorke
Old June 4th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #28
Mr Skittles
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to Mr Skittles Send a message via MSN to Mr Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Skittles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffron
You'd be surprised how many hobo's are picky about what they eat. I work in a soup kitchen and they bitch dood.

well i'll be damned
Old June 4th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #29
Snoop e
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 23 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to Snoop e Send a message via MSN to Snoop e Send a message via Yahoo to Snoop e
skittles she is right... tha hobos' around detroit are picky as hell hahahaha

Check me out on MySpace.
Old June 4th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #30
Mr Skittles
Friendship Crew

of course, its the D
Old June 6th, 2004, 12:04 AM   #31
Weaver
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
an interesting and random thought!
Old June 18th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #32
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Ferry's first crossing a breeze

ROYSON JAMES, The Star

ABOARD THE BREEZE — We're crossing Lake Ontario, heading to Toronto with some 500 Rochesterians, the movers and shakers and business people who refuse to let die the dream of a fast ferry between the two cities.

I'm sitting on the supple, grey-blue leather couch in the plush business class as the ferry cruises at more than 80 km-h. You can forget you're on water, if you don't happen to find a stationary object or a landscape marker off in the distance.

All around, in the generous atrium, up and down a light-bathed central stairway, in two movie theatres, two bars, a restaurant, a cafeteria, a games room, a kids play room, on the deck and in a panoramic salon and bar that gives the best views, men and women in evening wear soak up the high-speed luxury.

The Rochester Philharmonic Jazz Quartet is doing a mean version of Autumn Leaves, and Herb Smith executes a wicked riff that moves the elite crowd to turn from the over-stuffed buffet to the talented trumpeter.

Call it The Spirit of Ontario or The Breeze. Just don't call it a ferry. A ferry is what you take to Centre Island, standing, packed in with picnic baskets. This is an ocean liner, a cruise ship, an airplane on water — only much more spacious, relaxing and enjoyable.

After all the disappointments and snags and snafus and missteps — a crash into New York harbour, missed deadlines, rumours of mechanical problems and, finally, botched international relations that had officials on both sides of the border haggling about custom fees — the catamaran, made its maiden voyage yesterday loaded with Rochester blue bloods who paid a handsome $500 each for the privilege of being part of history. (Proceeds go to charity, organized by the Rotary Club on both sides of the border.) Service resumes today.

"I will never drive to Toronto again," gushes Heather Hunt-Ruddy, manager of a brokerage firm that is a Royal Bank of Canada subsidiary.

All along the two levels of the boat — munching hibachi beef kabobs, mascarpone cheese spread, sliced tenderloin sandwiches on mini rolls, shrimp with lemon cream sauce and a menu too long to record here — the restrained revellers nursed their drinks and gave the ferry glowing reviews.

"This is a destination unto itself," said lawyer Ron Axelrod, tuxedo-clad like so many others at this black-tie crossing that included a gala reception and welcome party on board the boat in the Toronto harbour.

But doubt is never far away.

"It'll be full every Friday with people coming up to Toronto to shop for the weekend," said Terry Widera. "But I wonder how long before that wears off."

From the man at the customs booth to the airport cab driver, there is scepticism about the fast ferry service. And while the service has barely registered on the Toronto radar, everyone in Rochester has an opinion.

"Who's gonna want to come from Toronto to Rochester?" the cabbie asks. Before getting an answer, he provides his own: "Nobody. What's in Rochester? Downtown's dead; everybody's moved to the suburbs.

"Now, to go to Toronto, that's a different story."

But cabbie Wolfgang Fouque says he'll drive his car. He can make it in three hours, four on a bad day. The ferry makes it in two hours and 15 minutes, tops. And it costs $44 (Cdn.) per passenger for the trip.

People in Rochester, says Fouque, a resident since 1958, won't pay that kind of money to take the ferry to Toronto.

Rochesterians are nothing if not frank. They remind one of Torontonians — self-deprecating, unsure of themselves, concerned that outsiders won't like them, and not sure that what keeps them there will be enough to attract a stranger.

Bud Kiske, a lifelong resident at 68, slags his downtown, and his city's lack of attractions and eating establishments. Then he examines a local NBC television reporter covering the event and says: "She looks a lot prettier on TV. I bet you have better-looking reporters in Toronto."

Kiske came down to the port to see The Breeze take to the lake, but he's not about to promise to take a trip soon, except maybe to see the Leafs or the Blue Jays.

"I want to make sure it ain't gonna sink first, like the Titanic," he says, keeping a fixed gaze on the U.S. Coast Guard vessels patrolling the waters around the ferry, its officers brandishing M-16 automatic weapons.

Sitting the equivalent of five storeys up, riding the waves in comfort and ease, Deputy Mayor Jeff Carlson describes The Breeze as his baby.

Mayor William Johnson Jr. believes Rochester suffers from a lack of recognition. He wanted a sign on the interstate telling drivers to get off for a look-see.

"We got that sign," Carlson says. "It reads, Ferry to Toronto."

Native Rochesterians have watched their city go from a place with a lot of jobs to one that has lost 1,800 jobs a year for the last 10 years, and are the hardest to convince, Carlson says. The $42 million ferry and $17 million terminal gives the city a "kick in the rear," he says.

First Grader Chinue Omeri is on the pier with her class from Holy Family elementary school. She's never heard of Toronto. And she doesn't quite get it that the reporter is leaving her city on the ferry bound for Toronto.

"You're leaving? Why?" she asks. "Rochester is fun."

On this day at least, it seems Rochester just might have a brighter future — one linked to Toronto.
Old June 20th, 2004, 01:15 PM   #33
meisemily
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
rochester massive on the inside.

er, on the qew
Old June 20th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #34
neverlandgurl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 18  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 10 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to neverlandgurl Send a message via Yahoo to neverlandgurl
^^^^
totally

striking inspiration into the hearts of others: http://www.hattrixx.co.uk
Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:01 AM   #35
mrmagoo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to mrmagoo
I cant figure out which city sucks more, Rochester or Flint
Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:21 AM   #36
GlowRaver4184
Hullaboarder

no ferry for me this time, maybe next time, is anyone definitly taking the ferry?
Old June 23rd, 2004, 01:17 PM   #37
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Jumper will definitely be taking the ferry at the times he said he was, so if anyone happens to be on there, look for him.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 03:09 PM   #38
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Saffron Send a message via Yahoo to Saffron
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolic frolic
Jumper will definitely be taking the ferry at the times he said he was, so if anyone happens to be on there, look for him.

He'll be the dood who customs pulls aside for being far too hyper.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 03:55 PM   #39
kittie_kat
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to kittie_kat Send a message via MSN to kittie_kat
the ferry is really a goodidea..but honestly..it is a tad expensive....a bus ticket from buffalo to toronto (rnd trip) is only like 32.50.....and the ferry rnd trip is $56 us...to take a car on the thing it costs like $125 us...hopefully the newness will wear off and they will lower the prices or something...all the info is at www.thebreeze.com
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:45 PM   #40
JaMGiRL
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to JaMGiRL
i want a full report from an average person who has rode the ferry.... hopefuly someone will to hulla! I really would like to be able to go to rochester easily, since I have friends there! :P

rock.you.softly/rock.me.steady

PR ~ jamgirl
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:21 AM   #41
kittie_kat
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to kittie_kat Send a message via MSN to kittie_kat
well it only started on like the 19th...so i dunno how many people will have stories as of yet :P