Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old June 30th, 2004, 03:40 AM   #1
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Saffron Send a message via Yahoo to Saffron
Racial Profiling (yet again) in the grand old US of A

U.S. Customs targeting Pakistanis
Wednesday, June 30, 2004 Posted: 0135 GMT (0935 HKT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A bulletin from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection department asks inspectors at the country's major airports to closely examine all passengers of Pakistani descent for injuries that may have been incurred in terrorist training camps, a U.S. official has confirmed to CNN.

A two-page "action" bulletin, dated June 17, says recent intelligence from Pakistan and elsewhere indicates that people of Pakistani descent "are increasingly being identified with" extremist activities, "including supporting [and] protecting the operations of terrorist training camps in Pakistan."

The document says U.S. officials believe "many of the individuals trained in the Pakistani camps are destined to commit illegal activities in the United States."

However, a U.S. official told CNN there is no specific information to suggest such individuals are headed to the United States.

The official also said that the department of Customs and Border Protection does "not target anyone based on race," but it does pay close attention to areas where terrorists are known to operate.

"We can't discuss intelligence operations or information," the official said.

In the bulletin, airport inspectors are advised to closely look at people of Pakistani descent who have taken short trips to Pakistan that were not related to family or business reasons and examine them for injuries like "rope burns ... unusual bruises ... [and] scars," -- injuries that may have come from training in terror camps.

"Officers should look for indications the individual engaged in rappelling activities (rope burns on arms/legs)," the bulletin said.

They should also examine people for "unusual bruises resulting from obstacle course activities."

-- CNN Homeland Security Correspondent Jeanne Meserve contributed to this report
- Thom Yorke
Saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 03:45 AM   #2
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Now if the police pull this kind of shit like pulling over Afro-canadians in cars in scarborough it would be called Racist. And then they wonder where the hatred for their country stems from. If my mom was to enter the United States now she would be carefuly examined because she was born in Pakistan. I hope she goes to the states coz my mom would give em an earfull. Not that she would go to the states.... she hates that place almost as much as I do. I liked the US when Clinton was in power. Where are those democrats when you need em'?
Old June 30th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #3
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 28 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to chipakapockets
Racial profiling is, indeed, a very wrong and unfair thing. Unfortunately, however, it has prooven to be a valuable tool to police and other law enforcement agencies.

Beyond the fact that it is unfair and socially wrong, it has (on numerous occasions) led to the successful capture of criminals. I'm not trying to say that it's right, because it's not. What I am trying to say is that it is effective.

In times like these, with the US being perhaps more paranoid of attacks than ever, that country has begun to use every tool available to themselves to prevent any possible attacks. It's impossible for them to search everyone in exactly the same intense manner, so the security at international airports and at the borders of the US is forced to narrow their intense search to people of the same ethnic origins as their sometimes corrupt intelligence reports indicate terrorist groups are composed primarily of.

It sucks, and it's wrong, but if your family members were injured by terrorists supposedly from a certain nation, would you not want the security at your countries borders and international entry points to be extremely cautious in admitting visitors from those countries into your own? In most cases, whether people choose to admit it or not, that would more than likely make them feel much more secure.

Police can't always concern themselves with what's fair. Sometimes they ahve to concern themselves with what works. I don't mean that they should be rude during these controversial inspections, though. A shred of politeness can go a long way in such things, possibly even allowing the person being searched to remain calm and not agitated (or as agitated as they would be otherwise).

Like I said, though, don't get me wrong. I'm not defending racial profiling, I'm just trying to show a few "pictures," if you will, from "the other side of the hill."

As a caucasian male, I've never had to deal with racial profiling of any sort, but I've seen the effects of it. In a lot of cases, whether police and customs services want to use these tools or not, they're forced to by either orders or necessity. It's impossible to search everyone with the same intensity and sometimes statistics have to speak for how legal forces will act. Sometimes these statistics are wrong, too, and just the same, statistics do not apply to everyone.

As things stand now, the American authorities feel the need to invoke these measures at their borders. I really don't think that it's just to be racist, either. They do have valid -- sorry, "valid" reasons for their actions.

PLUR,

Chip

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

Last edited by chipakapockets : June 30th, 2004 at 10:13 AM.
chipakapockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #4
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 28 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to chipakapockets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
As a caucasian male, I've never had to deal with racial profiling of any sort

I meant to add this, but got distracted by something bright and blinking...

I haven't had to deal with racial profiling, but I'd had to deal with police profiling none-the-less. I've been troubled by the police in Kingston many times, just for the way I dress. Police see me wearing my kandy and automatically pin me as a drug dealer or user. They immediately assume that I'm high on some sort of chemical drug, and perhaps even in posession of more of the said drug and attempting to sell it. It's not fair of them to make this assumption (especially given the fact that every time they've accosted me, I've been sober, and haven't had anything more illegal than advil in my possession), but it doesn't bother me for the fact that they've developed this profile for a possibly valid reason.

If you don't have anything to hide from police then, as invonvenient as their search may be, who cares? They're not going to find anything, they're not going to put you in jail, and I'm quite sure that if you're polite and cooperative with them, they're going to be polite with you, and hurry you on as quickly as possible.

These searches are on people comming through the border. And further more, the orders given to customs agents are only to take a closer look at the people they're searching.

Again, racial profiling is an immoral thing, but obviously as far as the United States are concerned, the ends justify the means. If these measures keep the population of a country atleast feeling safe, then that country is going to implement those measures, whether it is moral or not.
chipakapockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 04:54 AM   #5
Saffron
Hullaboarder

^^ Just a reminder that before the Sept 11th attacks the worst case of Terrorism on US Soil was by 2 white doods: Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nicholls.

The US is too much on the hunt for the muslim's and have completely forgotten about the white hillbilly millitants in middle america.

Anyone remember the Unibomber? ---> White dood.

I can appriciate that maybe SOME persons of muslim decent may be terrorists but is it fair for Apu Mahassapinapetalan (normal cab driver) and his wife going home to visit family in Pakistan to undergo an anal cavity search because they dont know what they are looking for.

Some black guy shoots a guy in Scarborough. Are the police going to arrest every black person in the GTA to question them about the incident?

Racial profiling just puts gas on the hatred fire. I know that it pisses me off enough to think screw the US. if a terrorist attack happens there again I'll make sure to flick the channel to Much Music and watch Cribs instead of American Carnage. If you want the terrorists to stop... stop treating their people like this. Because thats what started all this shit in the first place.

and on a side note: Pull out of Iraq. That has the terrorists beefing.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:25 PM   #6
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipakapockets
Racial profiling is, indeed, a very wrong and unfair thing. Unfortunately, however, it has prooven to be a valuable tool to police and other law enforcement agencies.

Beyond the fact that it is unfair and socially wrong, it has (on numerous occasions) led to the successful capture of criminals. I'm not trying to say that it's right, because it's not. What I am trying to say is that it is effective.

In times like these, with the US being perhaps more paranoid of attacks than ever, that country has begun to use every tool available to themselves to prevent any possible attacks. It's impossible for them to search everyone in exactly the same intense manner, so the security at international airports and at the borders of the US is forced to narrow their intense search to people of the same ethnic origins as their sometimes corrupt intelligence reports indicate terrorist groups are composed primarily of.

It sucks, and it's wrong, but if your family members were injured by terrorists supposedly from a certain nation, would you not want the security at your countries borders and international entry points to be extremely cautious in admitting visitors from those countries into your own? In most cases, whether people choose to admit it or not, that would more than likely make them feel much more secure.

Police can't always concern themselves with what's fair. Sometimes they ahve to concern themselves with what works. I don't mean that they should be rude during these controversial inspections, though. A shred of politeness can go a long way in such things, possibly even allowing the person being searched to remain calm and not agitated (or as agitated as they would be otherwise).

Like I said, though, don't get me wrong. I'm not defending racial profiling, I'm just trying to show a few "pictures," if you will, from "the other side of the hill."

As a caucasian male, I've never had to deal with racial profiling of any sort, but I've seen the effects of it. In a lot of cases, whether police and customs services want to use these tools or not, they're forced to by either orders or necessity. It's impossible to search everyone with the same intensity and sometimes statistics have to speak for how legal forces will act. Sometimes these statistics are wrong, too, and just the same, statistics do not apply to everyone.

As things stand now, the American authorities feel the need to invoke these measures at their borders. I really don't think that it's just to be racist, either. They do have valid -- sorry, "valid" reasons for their actions.

PLUR,

Chip

Are you retarded or something... Valuable tool you say- what the hell are you talking about.... discrimination based on someones race or ethnicity is just plain wrong.... And where do you get the information that racial profiling is a valuable tool that has led to some successful arrests, I have never heard of such a thing, do you have satistics to back your argument... oh no, you dont cause guess what, they do not exist since they are unlawfull.

God, you are stupid... Please refrain from replying to threads that require one to use their intelligence

Last edited by astralkid : July 2nd, 2004 at 11:31 PM.
astralkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:51 PM   #7
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to itsgigglegirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by astralkid
God, you are stupid... Please refrain from replying to threads that require one to use their intelligence

*claps**cheers**sits back down*

You can't miss me, I'm the girl with the smile

Shake like an earthquake, and cut like a guillotine
itsgigglegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 09:59 PM   #8
Glyce
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 8 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to Glyce Send a message via MSN to Glyce
Quote:
Are you retarded or something... Valuable tool you say- what the hell are you talking about.... discrimination based on someones race or ethnicity is just plain wrong.... And where do you get the information that racial profiling is a valuable tool that has led to some successful arrests, I have never heard of such a thing, do you have satistics to back your argument... oh no, you dont cause guess what, they do not exist since they are unlawfull.

Dude, don't be so negative. Do you have statistics to back up every single one of your views too? No, you probably don't. So don't look down on someone for something that everyone does. Besides, isn't Hullabaloo dedicated to HAPPY hardcore? If you're going to argue, take a chill pill first. There's no need to say things like that, we're not supposed to be screaming like a stupid TV drama here. thanks. I'd really appreciate it. By the way, I'm not trying to be a dick. I've done the same thing on numerous occasions, but I'm getting better and that's what counts. But please, seriously, think before you write.
Glyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #9
astralkid
Hullaboarder

You shouldn't dig up old threads, seeing as that person and me are cool with each other now, especially after meeting him.
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #10
Glyce
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 8 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to Glyce Send a message via MSN to Glyce
Ha. I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to. I'm still trying to get used to the site. I'm glad man. Sorry again, thanks for reminding me
Glyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:08 PM   #11
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
^^^ he never will and thats just the way he is... Astralkid wont change and we just have to accept it... its up to us to change for him... (sounds like something your mother would say about how stubborn your father is huh?) ... he is kinda of negative but its a message board... :P

Depressives don't. They want to be unhappy to confirm they're depressed. If they were happy they couldn't be depressed anymore. They'd have to go out into the world and live. Which can be depressing.
-Closer.
evangelos_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #12
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelos_gq
^^^ he never will and thats just the way he is... Astralkid wont change and we just have to accept it... its up to us to change for him... (sounds like something your mother would say about how stubborn your father is huh?) ... he is kinda of negative but its a message board... :P

Excuse me, but I don't even know you ... I'm actually very postive person and very open minded thank you very much. I get defensive when I'm attacked personally and what not
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:11 PM   #13
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyce
Ha. I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to. I'm still trying to get used to the site. I'm glad man. Sorry again, thanks for reminding me

No problem, and welcome to the site, hope u have fun
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #14
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Excuse me, but I don't even know you ... I'm actually very postive person and very open minded thank you very much. I get defensive when I'm attacked personally and what not

well then i guess thats all i see... when there is fighting between people (that i dont know... like you) i just read what is said so that i can, maybe get to know the board and people better... i didnt say anything THAT bad... other than that you are "kinda" negative...
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:17 PM   #15
astralkid
Hullaboarder

You "kind of get negative" when people put you in defensive mode. This is a board and some people have big mouths, and I for one don't take crap from people. There is nothing negative about that.... But this is getting out of topic.....
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #16
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

youre right... we dont want to beat this horse to death... like you said we dont even know eachother... why fight?
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:22 PM   #17
astralkid
Hullaboarder

^^ I am not fighting with you... I'm just explaning my position to you.
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:23 PM   #18
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

wrong word to use... but on another note... i need taco bell!
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:25 PM   #19
astralkid
Hullaboarder

If that is even palpable....

That was random.
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:26 PM   #20
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

it can be... i "treat" myself to junk food every once in a while... although i have a sticker on my car that says "McDonalds Isnt Food" ... taco bell is kinda my guilty pleasure.
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:31 PM   #21
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Good to know you are a walking contradiction
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #22
Psychick
Hullaboarder

Photos: 5  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Psychick
Dude, you flip out even when people ask you a simple question. My first interaction with you was when I asked you a simple, non-derogatory question about one of your posts, and you went all attack-bot on me, and started making insulting comments about my physical appearance :P

I beat the internet....the end guy was hard

Psychick & J-Karlos & Termeric | The Cyber Lepers of the Future

anyone who's anyone knows who deek is ... you're all internet stars
Psychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #23
Toye
Hullaboarder

Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Toye
Quote:

You may say that, but where exactly do you live? Any clue why racial-profiling exists? Do you know anything of why it is used?
Toye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #24
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toye
You may say that, but where exactly do you live? Any clue why racial-profiling exists? Do you know anything of why it is used?

It exists because some people want to maintain the status quo. Also, people want to marginalize other people in society. Finally, racial profiling is how some members in society maintain hegemony. Do YOU have a difference of an opinion cause I would like to hear it.

Last edited by astralkid : November 29th, 2004 at 06:38 PM.
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #25
Toye
Hullaboarder

Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Toye
Who are these 'some people'? Why do people want to marginalize other people in society?
Toye is offline   Reply With Quote