Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old November 30th, 2004, 12:36 AM   #26
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toye
Who are these 'some people'? Why do people want to marginalize other people in society?

These people are the ones in power; those who make policies, those who want to mantain the status quo. Now I would really like to get your opinion on the subject
astralkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:57 AM   #27
Weaver
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
I think racial profiling is effective, however it is unfair. For example the candy raver. I don't do drugs, I never have never will, but if I dress like a raver I am suseptible to the sterotype of having done drugs, or being affiliated with them. Now, is this really unjust? How many ravers out there can say they haven't done drugs? I'm sure its not the majority. Another example, I would go to a rave and assume most of the people in line there have drugs on them, or atleast plan to get something inside, why shouldn't the cops do the same.

Yes racial profiling is different and I don't agree with it on many levels, but i think there it is effective up to a point.
Old November 30th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #28
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaver
I think racial profiling is effective, however it is unfair. For example the candy raver. I don't do drugs, I never have never will, but if I dress like a raver I am suseptible to the sterotype of having done drugs, or being affiliated with them. Now, is this really unjust? How many ravers out there can say they haven't done drugs? I'm sure its not the majority. Another example, I would go to a rave and assume most of the people in line there have drugs on them, or atleast plan to get something inside, why shouldn't the cops do the same.

Yes racial profiling is different and I don't agree with it on many levels, but i think there it is effective up to a point.

Raver stereotypes are based around negaive preconcieved notions about a sub culture, while racial profiling singles out a whole race. You simply cannot compare the two.

Effective? How? Do you think most people of colour don't have jobs and basically go around stealing cars and robbing banks? And do you think the cops should be given the power to stop people of colour and harass them even if they are not doing anything because there is a risk that they might be up to something? A preemptive strike if you will.Tell me how taking away the dignity of another person because of his or her skin colour is effective in a society that is concerned with promoting social and human justice?

Last edited by astralkid : November 30th, 2004 at 01:29 AM.
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #29
Weaver
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
^ well that is one of the reasons i think it is only effective to a point. There are too many completly unfair and facist parts of racial profiling. Like if an african american is driving a nice car he will be pulled over simply because they think he stole it?? stuff like that makes me really mad, however if terrorists from middle eastern countries were hijacking planes and they thought they would do it agian, they would treat middle easterners with harsher security.
Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:46 AM   #30
DirectDrive
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyce
Besides, isn't Hullabaloo dedicated to HAPPY hardcore?

This is the greatest defense I have ever seen in my history of reading this board.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 02:03 AM   #31
Toye
Hullaboarder

Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Toye
Quote:
Originally Posted by astralkid
These people are the ones in power; those who make policies, those who want to mantain the status quo. Now I would really like to get your opinion on the subject

So you believe the people in power are racist, prejudice, douchebags that should not be in the position they are in?

I actually really don't have an opinion, I was just wondering why it's so easy to lay back and live your life without ever trying to do something about the things you disagree with.

But in about 40-50 years the old farts who run everything will be long-past dead and a newer age of political power will come, but I really have no clue if that is a good or bad thing.

Maybe the people who hate the way things are now should try and be one of those political leaders, they got 40-50 years to train for it if they really believe how the world is ran is wrong. Otherwise what is the point of even showing a bit a care for any of this?

Last edited by Toye : December 2nd, 2004 at 02:08 AM.
Toye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:37 AM   #32
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Apathy is a bitch....

Just by the virtue of talking about it one can instil changes. For example, the Toronto Star did a mini series regarding racial profiling that got a lot of people talking. Police chief Fenton did not want to acknowledge racial profiling existed in Toronto and guess what? They aren't renewing his contract!
The future is now, changes need to be made and they are....

Last edited by astralkid : December 2nd, 2004 at 03:43 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:06 AM   #33
happy1
Hullaboarder

*powers up emerald colored lantern shaped ring*
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #34
upinflames1234
Hullaboarder

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to upinflames1234
captain planet, hes our hero!!!!!!!

Old December 7th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #35
Glyce
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 8 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to Glyce Send a message via MSN to Glyce
Um. Racial profiling is wrong, in my opinion. I learned this the hard way. I felt like such an asshole. At my high school, there were just mostly white hicks (hate to use the term but it's true) and white rich kids. There wasn't a very diverse racial background to my school, so there were only a couple of Mexican kids. These were the kids I always saw ditching class and being pricks and "gangstas" and so that's the idea that I had of them. But, when I revealed my prejudices to my girlfriend, she was really pissed off and one time I went to her work, and she worked with a bunch of Mexicans and they were some of the nicest people I'd ever met. So I think it really doesn't as much depend on the race, as much as how a person is raised, or just how a person is. I think racial prejudices suck, and it's definitely sad to see them in such force.
Glyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #36
Troile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Troile
Quote:
^ well that is one of the reasons i think it is only effective to a point. There are too many completly unfair and facist parts of racial profiling. Like if an african american is driving a nice car he will be pulled over simply because they think he stole it?? stuff like that makes me really mad, however if terrorists from middle eastern countries were hijacking planes and they thought they would do it agian, they would treat middle easterners with harsher security.

This doesn't deserve a rebuttle...

Some people make me shake my head.