Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old July 16th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #51
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolic frolic

Back when our parties were larger, I was beginning to experiment with bringing in a big established name with a more up&comer type (ie: Robbie Long & Devastate with Force & Styles, or DJ Frantic with DJ Vibes) but now that we can only afford a single talent it has to be one of very strong draw ability. have.

Logic would have you believe, large parties= more $$$, which= more $$$ to spend on 2 OR more headliners... Im guessing something changed... hmmm...
astralkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:57 AM   #52
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 28 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to chipakapockets
Quote:
Originally Posted by astralkid
Logic would have you believe, large parties= more $$$, which= more $$$ to spend on 2 OR more headliners... Im guessing something changed... hmmm...

Well, dude, in all fairness, the rave scene has had a bit of a decline in popularity since it fell out of being a fad. You can host a big party, but that won't always guarantee big audiences. You also have to have huge amounts of capital to throw into a party like that. And that means it becomes a higher risk financially. One screw up with a huge party can hurt many more times financially than a smaller party.

I might be wrong, though, too. Just a thought.

Back to topic, though.

Paul Oakenfold would be neat, but I know that's about as much of a possibility as Santa playing at the Next Hulla.

It's all good, though, because I haven't been disappointed by Hulla's lineups yet.

PLUR,

Chip

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

Last edited by chipakapockets : July 17th, 2004 at 04:10 AM.
chipakapockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 05:55 AM   #53
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Yes, Frolic likes to play it safer than a catholic virgin school girl
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #54
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 28 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to chipakapockets
Hey, who can blame him?? If it was me trying to arrange raves like the Hulla, there would have been no more Hullas a long, long time ago! Cheers to Frolic for doing so well!

PLUR,

Chip
chipakapockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #55
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Quote:

yeah the scene collapsed somewhere in there. I'm the only promoter left from my generation that's still in business.

I'm not sure what's with all the cristisism. Promoters lose their shirts week in and week out and never throw another party again. Who does that benefit?
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #56
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Quote:
yeah the scene collapsed somewhere in there. I'm the only promoter left from my generation that's still in business.

I'm not sure what's with all the cristisism. Promoters lose their shirts week in and week out and never throw another party again. Who does that benefit?

That sucks, I just feel sorry for myself I missed when hullas were a larger crowd, cause I wanted to experienece myself...

And I think your one of the few left promoters cause well your more mature and have an experience in running your own business before hulla....
Old July 18th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #57
dianejapa
Friendship Crew

Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to dianejapa Send a message via AIM to dianejapa
actually hkorekanddy

i have to say frolic. i do comend you on what you have done and what you are continuing to do. i started listenin to you over 4 years ago and to see what you are still doin today is amazing. i know people around here in the tri-state area have started to lose the edge. ive seen alot of the promotion companies and party throwers around here are dying out and dying out fast, but you are still up and runnin. i also know that there are alot more springin up every other week around here. so i can understand about the scene dying but i also know about the scene comin back. i think in the next year or so there mite be a surge in the scene up there i may be wrong though so dont quote me on that. i think you are doin a great job.

laters
dj dice
dianejapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #58
Toye
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Toye
Cloudskipepr can't play at Hulla. ; p

And yeah, Frolic has survived and that does say something.

Everything good comes to an end though.

The scene hasn't been getting smaller, it's just become more mainstream. Dissappearing into clubs and even bars.

Where did all the hippies from Woodstock go? ; p

Last edited by Toye : July 18th, 2004 at 11:31 PM.
Toye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 11:24 PM   #59
Toye
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Toye
Kaos & Ethos btw.
Toye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #60
pinkbunny511
Hullaboarder

Photos: 13  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to pinkbunny511 Send a message via MSN to pinkbunny511 Send a message via Yahoo to pinkbunny511
dougal and gammer sounds good
If you think life is bad now, how would you like to be an egg? You only get laid once. You get eaten once. It takes four minutes to get hard, only two minutes to get soft. You share your box with 11 other guys, but worst of all, the only chick that ever sat on your face was your mom! So cheer up, your life isnt that bad!

AIM: pinkbunny511
yahoo: pinkbunny511311
pinkbunny511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #61
kidepic
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to kidepic
Mark eg, if possible???
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:58 AM   #62
Neble
Hullaboarder

UFO!!!
CLSM!!
Ham
Stompy!! I Love stompy's new stuff!!
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:18 AM   #63
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Saffron Send a message via Yahoo to Saffron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toye

The scene hasn't been getting smaller, it's just become more mainstream. Dissappearing into clubs and even bars.

NEWSFLASH

The rave scene has gotten smaller (I know because I partied back in the day when it was huge). Hullabaloo use to have like 2000+ people at it. They held one hullabaloo at THE INTERNATIONAL CENTER! Like hello? There use to be huge parties at the CNE (Dose Connected anyone) and various other huge venues. Parties use to be on average 2000 - 3500 people. Of course there were smaller parties but back in the day there were like 6 parties to choose from on any given weekend. Not to mention after hours places like The Pad, Sunshine Waynes & Bassmint.

It all went downhill when people started to OD and people started to die, then Mel Lastman came in on his trojan horse to save torontos youth and decided to try to stop all this fun. Banning raves at city owned venues, and enforcing all sorts of crazy rules on promotors like manditory PDO's (pay duty officers for all you non acronym savvy people). Thats what killed the scene. Promotors got scared off, and the only party's that survived were smaller company's. Lifeforce (Dose, Syrous & god the name of the other powerhouse slipps my mind at the moment) ended up buying Turbo and held 19+ events there. But basically everything went pear shaped when the city stepped in and started to police us.

The rave scene didnt go mainstream. The club scene has always been there with huge djs (you wouldnt know because you didnt party back then) but places like Industry would bring in huge djs for a 19+ crowd and it wasnt a rave.

A Rave is an all ages all night dance event.

There's been clubs forever, the rave scene came from the club scene. Birthplace: The Hacienda club in Manchester England. Yet again another mis informed winning post brought to you by the extremely misinformed Toye.

Thanks for commin out again champ!
- Thom Yorke
Saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:20 AM   #64
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toye
Kaos

He has a uni-brow
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:22 AM   #65
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Quote:

And I think your one of the few left promoters cause well your more mature and have an experience in running your own business before hulla....

Astralkid's lips are now brown.
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #66
hullabachronic
Hullanewbie

Send a message via ICQ to hullabachronic
Subsonic-Chronic

I've never been to a hullabaloo show before, and i've been waiting for Subsonic Chronic to play, but he hasn't in a while, where's he at?

Good line up here, Chris C would make a great addition to this perfect line-up !

I can't even access Subsonic-Chronic's website, what's the deal?
hullabachronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #67
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullabachronic
I've never been to a hullabaloo show before, and i've been waiting for Subsonic Chronic to play, but he hasn't in a while, where's he at?

he just played for us at the April Hulla, and his set is even included in the Sail Away CD Pack.
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #68
Cassells
Hullaboarder

Endymion!
Cassells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #69
mirahonthawall
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to mirahonthawall Send a message via MSN to mirahonthawall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffron
Astralkid's lips are now brown.

I love you.

mirahonthawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:29 PM   #70
mirahonthawall
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to mirahonthawall Send a message via MSN to mirahonthawall
yep, that's me, call me the stalker.
oh astralkid, won't you marry me?

::
mirahonthawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:06 PM   #71
astralkid
Hullaboarder

I would have to go with dougal and gammer too, ... But it would be REALY REALLY nice if Frolic could get Sy to change his mind about not travelling
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:18 PM   #72
integrrac
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to integrrac Send a message via Yahoo to integrrac
molly mush
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:45 PM   #73
Camrose
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Camrose
sy and unknown ..... you know you want to *If we didn't try harder - we wouldn't be HARDCORE* just fly to England put them in a burlap sack and drag them to good ol Canada. Rock On!

Or at least a nice hardcore set ... dj spock

Amy
Camrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:26 PM   #74
Poemi
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Poemi Send a message via Yahoo to Poemi
Quote:
Most people who come to Hulla DON'T listen to hardcore 24/7, they own some H2bH's and know some names from those discs. I have to look at the big picture when putting it all together otherwise we never would have lasted as long as we have.

Saying that, you have the power to open the eyes of the kids who only own a few h2bh cd's. I kinda of doubt kids won't go if someone they don't immediately recognize someone on the flyer, and besides you're always playing so theres a name they'll know. I realize this is a business, and turning a profit is necessary. But booking the same headliners all the time isn't any better for business.

How many people didn't go to the last hulla because they just saw Hixxy? Book someone new and different and you could get a better turn out, while also improving the North American scene.
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:43 PM   #75
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poemi
But booking the same headliners all the time isn't any better for business.

I know you mean well, but I wish people would cut me some slack here. It's not like Hulla hasn't featured virtually every name there is in uk hardcore. And there are sooo many other things that go one behind the scenes that make life difficult.

For example; now that the party is over I can reveal DJ Sy WAS booked for Funtopia 7. In fact, Storm had spoke to him for me the day he got back from Enchanted and Sy was on board. As time went on we were getting mixed messages from Sy about whether he was going to come. finally it was show time and Sy at that point decided he really didn't want to fly anymore. When I pressed him about it, he almost was agreeable again, but the problem was in the meantime he accepted some bookings in the UK and didn't want to drop them. So that left me without a headliner for our anniversary party.

meanwhile, A ton of UK guys were in Australia for a big tour over the month of July and were completely out of the picture. Being that it was our anniversary party I didn't want to have to settle for b-level talent, so Hixxy did me a solid and agreed to come over meanwhile blowing off a bunch of gigs back home (and for more money) to be with us here and come through for me.

Anyways, I'm sharing this just to give you some idea of what can go on over the process of putting these shows together. With the exception of Hixxy playing twice for us in 7 months (although that's twice in SIX YEARS also), and that had some extenuating circumstances, we've had a wide and varied selection of the worlds best DJs grace our stage with usually a wait of many years before seeing them again (like previously Breeze - 2 1/2 years, Energy more than 2 years, etc..).

Just trust that my objective with every event is to put on the best show I possibly can. When I read complaints about stuff that really are without merit it takes away from my enjoyment of doing this, and I've always said that the day this is no longer fun is the day it's all over.

Anyhoo, the next Hulla is booked, it's got someone we haven't seen in some time and I expect it to be an amazing night.