The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Drift on a Dream
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old August 12th, 2004, 02:15 AM   #1
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
The Sound System

Ok, I don't think its an issue one can ignore, most of us go to hullas to experience the awesome djs but when some sets are inaduable because of the sound system in the venue, its gets REALLY annoying... At funtopia, it was really hard hearing Frolics and Frisky's set, and some other djs... It would be nice if someone looked over the system before the party and fixed it... This hulla I think a lot of people would appreaciate that.... this thread is no way form or shape to start a conflict, just simply stating my opinion, please don't take it the wrong way
Old August 12th, 2004, 02:29 AM   #2
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Saffron Send a message via Yahoo to Saffron
There's something called a budget.

Too bad you missed out on Turbo (Lifeforce club). The sound system was killer in there.
- Thom Yorke
Old August 12th, 2004, 02:34 AM   #3
astralkid
Hullaboarder

I don't think it would cost a lot, the problem didn't seem major, I think he can get someone to look at very cheap to particualry nothing..... The problem wasn't presistent...

and if you are refering to Turbo nigh club, I have been there, nothing to write home about, gets very crowded.

Last edited by astralkid : August 12th, 2004 at 02:38 AM.
Old August 12th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #4
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Hah you dont think it would cost alot to rent a soundsystem!?! LOL!

a) It costs money to rent
b) likely costs money to deliver or to rent a truck to deliver and return it
c) the sound is (im not totaly sure coz im not frolic but likely) just the opera house sound tech (?? again frolic?) and it would take time to hook up the rented soundsystem to the opera house one (if it can be done at all if not you need to pay someone to work the sound)
d) Last time the opera house was really empty. Sound doesnt work well in an empty venue.
Old August 12th, 2004, 03:33 AM   #5
astralkid
Hullaboarder

ugh, If your not sure don't type and pretend u know whats going on ......
It was just not at Funtopia, it was also a problem @ Accelerator and I believe Enchanted and @ FITS... empty venue, pfft, do u have any idea how many freaking people were @ FITS

But whatever, I just hope they can do something about it cause I remember someone making a thread similiar to this before Accelerator, and it fell on deaf ears cause @ the party it was hard hearing Silver1 set .... It's a problem they have to deal with and if they just ignore it, it will probably cause them more damage....

Last edited by astralkid : August 12th, 2004 at 03:42 AM.
Old August 12th, 2004, 04:07 AM   #6
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralkid
ugh, If your not sure don't type and pretend u know whats going on

I never said I was pretending to know... where in my post did I state that I KNEW 100% I said through my whole post that I wasnt sure so how is that pretending knowing whats going on?

Again here you go with your utter sillyness in replys. If you wanted to know 100% what was going on why did you post a thread... why not just PM frolic himself? Oh yeah, you wanted opinions and a discussion, which is EXACTLY what you are getting.
Old August 12th, 2004, 04:27 AM   #7
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 28 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to chipakapockets
Saffron, he didn't say rent a sound system. He said maybe someone could look over it before the party and fix it. Don't bite his head off for something he didn't say. I'd bet it would be possible to get a sound technician to do something like that for relatively cheap. If it was a minor problem it's a minor repair. And it could be done for free or nearly so, if the right people are asked, I'm sure.

PLUR,

Chip

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:12 AM   #8
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Yes, I don't remember ever mentioning renting- next time look before you leap. I said it wasn't something that was consistent in all the sets... they would even stop it, and then fix it, the sound would be louder, after awhile it would be inadubale again about 30 minutes into the next set... Not anything that would cost a lot of $$$...

Even the British kids who were visiting saw this problem( see their review).......

Last edited by astralkid : August 12th, 2004 at 05:15 AM.
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:54 AM   #9
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Repair men cost money.
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:55 AM   #10
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipakapockets
Saffron, he didn't say rent a sound system. He said maybe someone could look over it before the party and fix it. Don't bite his head off for something he didn't say. I'd bet it would be possible to get a sound technician to do something like that for relatively cheap. If it was a minor problem it's a minor repair. And it could be done for free or nearly so, if the right people are asked, I'm sure.

PLUR,

Chip

When did I ever bite his head off? People on here are far to sensitive I'll remember to give out bracelets, candy and e before I reply to anything.
Old August 12th, 2004, 06:13 AM   #11
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Anways....

Ok, anybody else actually have a problem with the sound lets hear it...

Last edited by astralkid : August 12th, 2004 at 06:18 AM.
Old August 12th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #12
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to itsgigglegirl
i know what you mean....it does get really tough to hear because they turn up the speakers past their peaks and you get clipping that causes the distortion...I dunno what it would take to fix it tho

i've found that wearing my earplugs helps in this matter...it makes it easier to hear the music when it gets distorted...it also blocks out the noise the whistles make and makes it a whole lot easier to hear people who are talking to you. I'd recommend that everyone wear them, but that's just cos i'm an ear nerd

You can't miss me, I'm the girl with the smile

Shake like an earthquake, and cut like a guillotine
Old August 12th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #13
*twinkles*
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to *twinkles*
i wore earplugs for accelerator for about 2 hours, but then i took them out (not for any particular reason that i can remember) - i've been meaning to get more and try it out again- although really- </rambling>

But yes, the sounds wasn't quite up to par at Funtopia especially, but i dont think it has anything to do with the amount of people there- it definately was perfectly fine at points throughout the night, and definately not so great at others (within the same hour, even)

I'm sure they could get someone to look at it for FREE- i mean, there's definately ENOUGH music/stereo/sound people who i'm SURE would do it for free... *shrug*

old hullaboard account= twinkley_star
PR & TR= same name as here: *twinkles*
Old August 12th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #14
xRaVeRx
Hullaboarder

Photos: 7  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to xRaVeRx Send a message via MSN to xRaVeRx
^ well they have to have sound people on hulla night in case of a *sound* emergency, rite? so why not get them to take a looksy before 9:00pm? but, im not on set.up crew or anything...so i dont know what The Opera House is like hours before hulla is put on.. prolly a mad house tryin to get it all ready

i noticed the sound a bit, but it still sounds rockin..the bass is wicked and yeeea!
...i've tried ear plugs at accelerator and i didnt like em, they blocked out the bass beat! [in my opinion]:P

::
ryaN
Old August 12th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #15
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
There's all kinds of insanely complicated sound issues that happen over the night, some that can be fixed, others not so much. But I'm already ahead of you and was going to make sure the sound guys come earlier than usual this time and eq that baby up for our needs. They DO get there hours before normally, but it's a real process getting it all going. funtopia in particula we had some real drama with the sound 5 minutes before the doors opened.
Old August 12th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #16
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Awesome
Old August 12th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #17
*twinkles*
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to *twinkles*
*grin* that's awesome- (i figured you'd (Frolic) be at least AWARE of the sound sounding funny) I'm sure everything'll still be FANTASTIC even if there's some sound trouble at DOAD! Hulla's ALWAYS and amazing time!
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:35 PM   #18
xRaVeRx
Hullaboarder

Photos: 7  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to xRaVeRx Send a message via MSN to xRaVeRx
^YEEA! AGREED
3 cheers fa huLLa
Old August 12th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #19
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
speaking from experience (and in defense of hulla and the sound boys), there are SO many variables when it comes to sound systems.. here's just a few off the top of my head, not necessarily pertaining to the peticular incidents you noted:

1 - djs
some are AWSOME.. some are horrible. for instance, ever notice that Dominik usually sounds like one of the best sets of the night (sound wise)? Thats because he has a wicked ear for things, and when you instruct him on what to do, he DOES it. Even though he plays some really distorted tracks, they come out clean and crisp. He knows how to ride a comp/limiter WELL. By no means am i critisizing frisky or frolic here. (just to clear that up). I have done setups both djs have played on, and both sounded great. the main problem when it comes to djs is one of the following:

- too much gain - you cant always pin a mixer. when you have EVERYTHING wide open, it just comes out distorted.. when a dj is sending a distorted signal to the sound guys, the sound guys are useless. they cant clean it up, so the only solution in this problem is have the dj turn it down a touch, and it will come out clear.

- crankin' on the EQ knobs. - too many djs think they need to boost all the frequencies... wrong. - the EQ is there to boost frequencies that NEED to be boosted. just turning all 3 knobs to 2 o'clock is just going to do the same job as turning the gain knob to 2 o'clock (basically). you should always play FLAT and use the EQs to cut frequencies. Boosting them just adds problems.

soo.. all in all, when it comes to djs, they CAN be the problem. sometimes they need to turn 'er down a touch. There used to be sign at the E Space, and it read something along the lines of "Louder isnt better - Better is Better"... I think that was it... either way, nothing could be more true. Djs need to concentrate on their mixing and tracks. let the sound techs deal with the sound.

SELF TEST - plus your computer into your stereo system - max out ALL your output volumes and the input on your stereo. now, play your stereo at low volumes. comes out distorted right?... now bring your levels down to say.. 75% or so.. bring the stereo back up... you'll need to turn up the master volume a bit more to obtain the same audible volume, but it sounds clear now.. see?

2 - bad EQ jobs / EQ troubles
one of the problems with the opera house is, it is used for so many types of events. Unlike a night club, where you can set a system up and virtually forget about it after, their EQ and processing settings constantly change each night. If they have the latest rock band in the night before, settings will obviously change drastically for dance music playback.

also.. keep in mind, these guys have to EQ to a room that is EMPTY at the start of the night. before people get in there, it could sound PHENOMINAL, but once people start filling up dead air, the EQ might need to be changed. That's a tough task, as they need to do it live, and a small error may cause a serious problem. not fun.

SELF TEST - take your little stereo into your bathroom... (or a closet or something small).. turn it on.. play a sound.. listen to how it sounds... now try it in your bedroom (a bit bigger space)... and again in your basement (if it's an open style basement).. now.. try it outside.. (where there is no bounds).. big difference isnt there.. (make sure to play the same song each time).. proves that dead air size DOES make a difference

3 - dumb sound techs
it could even come down to dumb sound techs... sometimes they forget a golden rule, and cant figure out the problems for the life of them... it happens to the best of us on occasion. sometimes they dont set up the comp/limiter properly, or smoething is clipping bad, and next thing you know, everything is FUBAR..

The sound system is a part of the opera house... it was recently upgraded from the previous one they had there, and it sounds FAR superior than the previous setup they had. The Adamson X-Array rig is great. It's used by many sound companies around the world, and Adamson is a highly recognised name. I truely wouldnt complain.

Just be thankful we have a safe and secure venue, that is pretty much guarenteed to be there for us.. .most of you would forget the older days when some of the rooms at a party consisted of nothing more than a few home speakers all connected to some Home stereo amplifier that was overheating so badly, you could cook an egg on it. If you ask me, the opera house has some of the best sound when it comes to Rave venues the city has to offer. Just be lucky we're not stuck at a place such as the 160, where sound problems are a guarenteed occurance at least 2 or more times during the course of the night... i cant remember how many times i have been there and just had the main speakers die, look over and the amps are all shutting down into protect. We dont have to worry about illegal venues, shady security, djs who wont show up, lack of life essentials (water / running water, bathroom facilities, etc.), and all the other downfalls... I'd say we have nothing to complain about

** New - Dj Tranzit - This Is Why I'm Hot - 60 min hardcore fuckery ***
Old August 12th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #20
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 28 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to chipakapockets
Saffron, look at your reply and think about how else it could have been taken. You came in and didn't even pay enough attention to what he said to make a valid response. He didn't even mention the word "rent" or hint toward it in his post. What you did is biting his head off, there's no two ways about it.

That said...

I didn't figure Frolic wouldn't be aware of the sound issues. He's one of the people making the sound. It's awesome that there will be higher quality sound at the next party. That will be beautiful to hear.

PLUR,

Chip
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #21
Sonicjubilee
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Sonicjubilee
sometimes its great not being a technical person and solely being a partier
i never noticed anythign odd or different
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #22
Weaver
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
I did notice one sound problem during funtopia, but I still enjoyed the entire night!
Old August 15th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #23
orbz
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to orbz
I'm interested from a fairly technical perspective and I still didn't notice anything.

I was also probably kinda drunk...

I dunno, I'm verrrry forgiving when listening to music live, one tiny thing wrong in a mix through a stereo at home and I have a temper tantrum, but if everything goes crazy in the venue, the power blows or the dj just says fuck it, turns everything off and switches the track... i just laugh it off

the music is just an element of the party to me, maybe a huge element, but i don't approach these as concerts and i don't care if things are a little crazy this way or that way... it adds to it being a real event for me
Old August 16th, 2004, 02:05 AM   #24
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipakapockets
Saffron, look at your reply and think about how else it could have been taken. You came in and didn't even pay enough attention to what he said to make a valid response. He didn't even mention the word "rent" or hint toward it in his post. What you did is biting his head off, there's no two ways about it.

You dont know how to spell Flyer so shut the fuck up. I wasnt attacking him, your a dick head and you pretend to be all plurry but you were an asshole in your reply. So fuck you and go get a dictionary.
Old August 16th, 2004, 02:08 AM   #25
astralkid
Hullaboarder

The words you are looking for are "don't" and "wasn't" .. Would you like a dictionary?