The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Back & Forth
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old September 21st, 2004, 01:16 AM   #26
psychosis
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to psychosis Send a message via Yahoo to psychosis
Im thinking its gonna be Sharkey, Styles or UFO i dont know why i just have a feeling i would love it if Scott Brown headlined...rumour has it(coming straight from 2 djs spinning at the party who are with the crew putting it on) brisk & ham are spinning in New England in Novemeber and a party has been announced with the headliner TBA so.....
Old September 21st, 2004, 01:22 AM   #27
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
hilarious

... the venue for Hulla is the same... at least for a block of time... it has rotated thru the years... but currently resides at 735 Queen St East Toronto Ontario...( be sure you get East... not west... ) The Opera House... easy enough to find. Any of the hotels downtown are close enough to take a cab. We have stayed at Metropolitan, and Comfort Suites... Marriot is good, Days Inn on Carlton is ok, check those out... should be easy enough... compare the address of the Opera House to the hotels address... Use mapquest.... also CheapHotels.com has good deals if u book ahead...

... to all those concerned that question whether people think you are Newbie or not... u probably are... and thats good... Hulla always has room for more...

{partyhardy}
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:29 AM   #28
hullachild
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to hullachild
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3blue
This may be a stupid question, but any ideas on venue, or area at least. Do you usually get the same few venues, or rotate, or always virgin venues, or what?
The reason I ask is that me and my ST LOUIS ROCKSTARS crew are trying to get a roadtrip going. But, it would help if we had a good idea for an area so we could find and book a hotel close to the venue, etc etc.
I figure it's a long shot and venue won't be announced for a while, but what the hell.

Hope to see you all in December.

Just a shot in the dark, but based on what I've heard from others about previous Hulla's (and Frolic), it'll probably be back at the Opra House again. Don't take my word on it though.

Anyone else have any ideas? Maybe we should make some suggestions to Frolic. I'm not from T.O. so I really don't know.
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:15 PM   #29
c3blue
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to c3blue
Thanks to both of you. We'll definately check out the area via mapquest, etc.

Having a steady venue has it's ups and downs, one of the crews here bought an old skating rink a few years back, it was alright. Nice to know where to find the party, but kinda gets old. Warehouse nights downtown, those were amazing.

Thanks Again. St. Louis RockStars goin' on a roadtrip, hopefully.

RAVE ON!!!
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:48 PM   #30
hullachild
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to hullachild
Power to ya.. hope to see ya there I've read that more info will be released on the boards next month, so if you can wait till then to start planning it'd be a good idea.
Hulla's are what the raver's make it. Lets bring as many ppl as we can to this one and show the world HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE!

hullachild
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:16 PM   #31
c3blue
Hullaboarder

RAVE ON!!!!!
RAVE ON!!!!!
RAVE ON!!!!!

I can't wait to make it to a Hulla. Our scene is on the decline and is full of bad vibes and jaded ravers. No PLUR, kandi kids are an endangered species, it's no good. We do what we can, but I gotta say, I am dying to go to a party with an alive vibe. Energy, open-minds, free spirits, and that atmosphere, that atmosphere that grabs you and you feel it and scream with joy and run to the dance floor and just let the music take control.

I'm getting all excited just thinkin' about it.

I found a hostel about 2.5 miles from the venue that's $20 a bed a night. So we'll probably crash there. Couldn't tell you the name, though.

Oh yeah, will there be snow on the ground, and how cold is it there in early December?

the vibe makes the people makes the vibe.
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:41 PM   #32
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
^^^ yes to snow and very cold lol
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:10 AM   #33
Weaver
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
It's always the opera house

UFO spinning would make my day
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:08 AM   #34
kandeegirl2
Sweetness and Light Mod

Photos: 29  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to kandeegirl2 Send a message via AIM to kandeegirl2 Send a message via Yahoo to kandeegirl2
Quote:
This may be a stupid question, but any ideas on venue, or area at least. Do you usually get the same few venues, or rotate, or always virgin venues, or what?
The reason I ask is that me and my ST LOUIS ROCKSTARS crew are trying to get a roadtrip going. But, it would help if we had a good idea for an area so we could find and book a hotel close to the venue, etc etc.
I figure it's a long shot and venue won't be announced for a while, but what the hell.

Hope to see you all in December.

hulla is always at the opera house.

and to be honest i would love to see spree, i know he's not uk but yah....
Old September 24th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #35
happyhat
Hullaboarder

Next Hullabaloo is at the:
Ontario Science Centre

Main floor will be playing:
-classic happy hardcore Christmas special
-gabber

Top floor will be playing:
-classic techno
-old skool rave

All exibits will be open :P
Old September 24th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #36
skunkdiggity
Hullaboarder

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to skunkdiggity
Quote:
RAVE ON!!!!!
RAVE ON!!!!!
RAVE ON!!!!!

I can't wait to make it to a Hulla. Our scene is on the decline and is full of bad vibes and jaded ravers. No PLUR, kandi kids are an endangered species, it's no good. We do what we can, but I gotta say, I am dying to go to a party with an alive vibe. Energy, open-minds, free spirits, and that atmosphere, that atmosphere that grabs you and you feel it and scream with joy and run to the dance floor and just let the music take control.

I'm getting all excited just thinkin' about it.

I found a hostel about 2.5 miles from the venue that's $20 a bed a night. So we'll probably crash there. Couldn't tell you the name, though.

Oh yeah, will there be snow on the ground, and how cold is it there in early December?

the vibe makes the people makes the vibe.

ooh, when u find out the name of the hotel/motel, can u let me know? I don't wanna sleep in my car again for this hulla!
Old September 24th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #37
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
The science center would be an amazing place,espcially since they have all kind of "rave" toys
Old September 25th, 2004, 12:10 AM   #38
c3blue
Hullaboarder

Under the seemingly safe assumption that it'll be at the opera house the youth HOSTEL we tentatively plan on staying at will either be...

Global Village Backpackers @ 460 King St West, Toronto
~or~
Canadiana Backpackers Inn @ 42 Widmer St., Toronto

You can find them on www.hostel.com and search by city.

Both are about $20 a nite. To those of you that don't know and might be interested these are HOSTELS not hotels. You are renting a bed in a room of 4, 6, or 8 people. Some are co-ed, some aren't. This bothers some people, I love it. I've hosteled in San Francisco and London and refuse to stay in a hotel again. Anyone coming in for the weekend, I strongly recommend it. If you have any questions about hosteling in general, hit me up or drop a line here.

Depending on venue I think a dedicated HullaHostel would be great. Save a fuckload of money, meet a bunch of people, kick it in a common area, they're great. Not to mention, if I remember right, the two of them are fairly close to one another. If you have any questions about hosteling in general, hit me up or drop a line here.
Old September 25th, 2004, 01:34 AM   #39
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
i must agree, hostels are great, we might even do it this time, hrmmmm
Old September 25th, 2004, 04:18 AM   #40
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
nobody has the kind of cash flow to do another science center party.
its FAR too much money to rent that place.

Citrus was the only one to pull it off sucessfully..
its sad that hardly anyone even knows of those days... nevermind remember them!..

although the opera house is a great venue imo..
good security.. good bar.. good sound.. good size...
no crazy mishaps everytime (such as bathrooms flooding / INSANE heat)..
it is SAFE.. unlike some venues (has proper fire exits, etc..)

honestly, anyone who complains about the opera house, has got it too easy.
anyone who remembers venues such as Stardust (heat, cramped), Newz (the good ol' urine/feces lake in the hallways... YES.. HALLWAYS), and other "wonderful" venues is more than happy to visit the Opera House

** New - Dj Tranzit - This Is Why I'm Hot - 60 min hardcore fuckery ***
Old September 25th, 2004, 04:29 AM   #41
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
those citrus parties were at a time when you could get 5000 people out ('97 - '99). I think the deal was science centre got it's usual $10 per head admission. which at the end of the day was a damn cheap rental. Tix were $30. Plus the usual scam back then of only releasing a handful of tickets for the advanced price and force everyone to pay extra at the door. Once people started dying at parties the science centre got out of the rave business. Every citrus party afterwards was a disaster and he was soon out of the business, which showed how much loyalty people had to the brand versus the venue itself.
Old September 25th, 2004, 04:48 AM   #42
FEMME|FATALE
Hullaboarder

>>>

I enjoy the Opera House as a small concert venue hugely. I love the different levels so that you can view the band from all over and not have to worry about only standing on one main level floor and having tons of tall people infront of you. And you can dance and not have to worry about some fucking idiot kid flying into your head from behind you. At a concert you're going to listen to the band/group/singer etc live...but also to SEE them play.

At a rave though, you're not necessarily going to look at the stage, you're kinda going to just dance and whatnot so it's not really a huge problem if you can't see the stage.

The Opera House is MUCH better for hulla's than ALOT of the other fucking places it could be held at though. I mean, Paul got it by naming off a couple. The Stardust just shouldn't be used, PERIOD!!! The Newz was fun.............until you were standing in other people's shit.

I'd love to see Hulla at a different venue...but for that to happen, one would have to be built, and hold the same level of trust and faith that Chris holds in the management, security, and way things are run, like he does with The Opera House.

I'd have to say the only thing I dislike to an extreme amount about the venue, is the stairs to the washroom. Something should REALLY be done about that. That has nothing to do with Hulla, though.

And ahhhhhh yes...Science Centre parties...ohhh the memories

end<
Old September 25th, 2004, 04:52 AM   #43
anabolic frolic
Administrator

speaking of the newz, I drove by it. It's been demolished and they're building something else there.
Old September 25th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #44
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
im up in arms weather it's RIP Newz, or Good Riddance Newz

From what I remember Citrus did 2 parties after the science center...
one with Delirium, which turned out pretty good.. I believe it was at Ministry (well.. 19 Mercer), and the other one was at Luxor, and he lost a LOT of money on that..

After that party, he decided to start producing and supposedly that's going quite well for him last time I saw Dean...
Old September 25th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #45
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Yeah I don't think there are any producers who are willing to take a chance to have any more big parties anways....

As for the Opera House, I think you have pretty RETARDED to think its a good venue; a venue which has security stealing money and harrasing hulla patrons for no good reason like I was last hulla

There are other venues in Toronto, which can better accomidate hulla, like Pulse Night Club, but Frolic is either too lazy or the Opera House people are actually mafias and they have a hold on Frolic
Old September 25th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #46
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

^^ i hear ya on the security...but..its REALLY hard to give up a venue where you have a promised spot as often as frolic needs it, everything done basically the way you ask....i have had security at a venue steal large amounts of money from me (the promoter) we are talkin 20,000 bucks here...i have had venues cancel last minute saying we can no longer have our event there, i dont blame frolic for one second for staying at the opera house...i personally would love to see a bigger hulla....but its very hard to give up the pluses here..If i had an issue with the opera house security, i would call them and tell them about it, as they can do anything about it if they dont know anything about it, frolic cant do anything about it, he isnt the opera house. If the coat check girl took your money, call and bitch....if they harrassed you call and complain, complaining on the hulla board will get you no where, you have to go straight to the source...
Before i started throwing events i agreed 100% with all you people, but now that i have had experience on the other end of big parties, i am 100% with frolic on this..
Old September 25th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #47
anabolic frolic
Administrator

I've observed that a lot of people really over simplify things. Getting 2000 people out is not simply a matter of booking a different larger venue. If it was, there would be all sorts of large promotions operating leaving Hulla in the dust. As it stands, Hulla remains the biggest draw of any regular promotion in Toronto.

Security is the bane of every promoter for as long as I've ever been in the business. As Carrie mentions, there's some real horror shows out there. Robin has gotten into SCREAMING matches with the idiots at High Profile when we threw some shows at The Docks (back in "the good old days") and would never let me go back there again even if it were available. At least there's an accountability with the opera house staff and I've been able to address issues in the past with them.

These debates have been going on forever and nothing I have done or can ever do will or has pleased everyone.
Old September 25th, 2004, 04:41 PM   #48
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Pulse Night Club...
Old September 25th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #49
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder

astralkid..

without being snarky, i would challange you to throw a party of equal comparison to hulla, and get the kind of turnout that they get... the awsome reviews and the long genvity that hulla has maintained over 7 years... that's a feat in itself for ANY production company.

ive had my hand in promotions with many different parties, and from all my observations with hulla (to clarify, i have had nothing to do with hulla promotions), they have been one of the best managed production companies out of the group.

on a side note, think about this:

1) Hulla has been using the Opera House for years now. Not once has there been a stabbing, OD, or any other major problem. That's dam good imo.

2) As mentioned, Opera House is guarenteed... They work with Hulla, and Hulla works with them in a great partnership... If Hulla was to move around and explore other venues, i'm sure Opera House would catch wind of it... especially, as they expect a booking every 3 months approximately... All of a sudden they dont use that venue a couple times... They would feel like they are getting the shaft a bit...?

It's like you mechanic... you always use the same one because you trust them and know they will do a good job.. All of a sudden you take your car elsewhere for new brakes (per say). Next time you take your car to your regular mechanic, he sees you went elsewhere.. All of a sudden that bond is somewhat broken... He's not going to treat you the same because he feels like you might be screwing him and only giving him some business..

Its like anything... if you give all your business of a specific thing to one place, they generally will treat you better than most other customers.. Im not by any means saying this is what is going on with Opera House/Hulla, but one could only assume that Hulla has a good repor with Opera House... heck.. they are allowed to use the venue every 3 months! If there was problems, Opera House wouldnt let them back now would they..

Instead of complaining about the problems in a way that sounds like we DEMAND something, why not re-form our likes/dislikes into intelligent statements that are non-offensive, and try to work on them...

It's impossible to please everyone, and from the looks of it, Hulla is doing a dam good job of pleasing most.. they still get a full house every show... That alone has to say something.

Keron came out with a good point... the only bad thing I can see, that I dont like is the stairs to the bathrooms... It's narrow and I feel a bit shakey on them. But, the reality is, that wont be changed without a few thousand dollars worth of contracting work and building permits, something that isnt going to come from a few ravers being unhappy every 3 months..

Other than that, the bar is great, the place is relatively cold and crisp most of the night, and all other aspects i find are above standards I'd say, if not better!

For those who are having a problem with security, there is usually a reason... If you're doing drugs, plain and simple, you have NO leg to stand on if you're hassled. If you're drunk and acting stupid, again.. you have no argument. If you are doing something you shouldnt, again.. no argument...

Security is not going to pick on you for no reason. They don't just go up to random people and harrass them.

Once again... as mentioned, if you have a problem with the security, write a proper formal letter to the Opera House. Put it attention Athena. Do your best to describe the security guard, and where they were working at the time of the altercation. Explain in a clear and concise manner what happened, and why you feel it is injust. Don't make it into a novel. Keep your facts simple, and believe in what you are writing. Don't use things such as "stupid", "jerks", "idiots" or offensive words such as that.

And again..
if you feel you can do better, I would really like to see it..
Heck.. i'll even buy a ticket to your event to see how it turns out
Old September 25th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #50
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder

Just because I'm bored, i'll write a FAKE letter about security problems...
I'm no English major, but I'll give 'er a go.

Let's say the situation is, at the last Hulla, I got hassled by security because I was sitting down in the corner and they thought I was mashed out on drugs, so they started to question me.

---------------------

To:
Athena / Whom It May Concern,

I was a patron at the last "Hullabaloo" event at your establishment on September 18th 2004. Although I had an enjoyable time, there was one aspect of the night that upset me, and this is why I am writing this letter.

Around 4:00am, I was confronted by one of your security guards. I was sitting on the floor in the back of the lower level on the East side of the building. The security guard approached my friends and I, and asked us a few questions that I felt to be offensive. He asked if I was on any drugs, and when I answered "no", he proceeded to ask to re-search me. I did not feel that another search was necessary, as I was simply enjoying my night with friends, and was not involved with any illegal substances at any point during that night. The security guard demanded that I be re-searched, or I would be ejected from the building. I felt I had no choice but to interrupt my night and allow myself to be re-searched at the door. After I was searched again, I was

The security guard was male, approximately in his early 30's. He was caucasion, with a muscular build and longer dark hair, put in a pony tail.

I understand that drugs and drug use is an issue at all events in your establishment, and you need to take the utmost precations to ensure the safety and well being of your patrons remains intact. Fortunately, I have chosen not to take part in this, and I feel the security guard was unjust for researching me.

I do understand the security guards concern for my well being and those around me. If I was in his shoes, I too could have possibly mistaken my appearance for someone who was on drugs. I was sweating and I did look exhausted, although that was from dancing prior to sitting down. I simply needed a break from dancing, and wanted to take a few minutes to talk to some friends in a quieter area of the venue.

In the future, I would feel as though some further interaction betwen the security guard and the patrons before re-searching them would discard the need for a second search. If this security guard would have interacted with me for only a short minute, it would have been clear to him that I was simply enjoying my night being sober from both drugs and alcohol. If the security guard would have approached us in a friendly manner, I would have felt a lot more comfortable, and it would have made for my experience with them much more enjoyable. I would have appreachiated it if the guard would have explained what was happening, and why he felt the need to re-search me. I was not objecting to the search, although it would have calmed me to know what was happening, as I was not told anything other than to come with him immediately, or I would be ejected.

I will continue to attend events at your venue, and hope that in the future, the security guards will be able to have a little more understanding with the patrons.

Thank you for reading my concerns. I would be interested to read any comments or suggestions you may have for me regarding this situation, and possibly how I could handle a situation such as this if it is to come up again. Please feel free to use the self addressed stamped envelope I have enclosed for a reply. Once again, thank you for your time on this matter.

Sincerly,

John Doe

123 Some Street
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A1B 2C3

Home - (123) 456-7890
Cell - (098) 765-4321

---------------------------

To make it somewhat authentic and professional, try to type the letter on a computer, print it off, and leave a good 4-5 lines between the "Sincerly," and your name for a signature in BLUE ink.

Mail the letter, or deliver it yourself to the Opera House. If you would like a reply, possibly include a self address, stamped envelope in with your letter, to make things simple for them to reply.