User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old September 24th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #51
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
i love the felllaz, but going to toronto would be so sad, knowing i would never again be able to step into a hullabaloo..i would eventually get over it, but at first i dont know if i could just party on as usual, i know it might seem a tad rediculous as its *just* a party...BUT to me it is more than that..
Old September 24th, 2004, 04:15 AM   #52
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 28 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to chipakapockets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busta
New people are great, but were do all the old people go? I'm been *raving* for 6 years. Most people i meet at parties just started in the past year. At Drift on a Dream a big portion of new people that i met said it was their first party. New people are comming in. I'm more worried about where all the old schoolers are going. Why is there this notion that you "outgrow" the rave scene? Hippies didn't "outgrow" the hippie scene.

Unfortunately, not enough "old schoolers" are sticking around to support the scene by itself. For every "old schooler" that leaves, half a newbie comes in... we need MORE NEW FLESH!!!

PLUR,

Chip

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989
chipakapockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 06:02 AM   #53
orbz
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to orbz
about what karen said, I bring newbies every time I go to hulla... sometimes a shitload of 'em, too. while funtopia 7 lacked newbies, i think drift on a dream lacked significantly in regulars, especially out of towners... understandably I guess, with school starting. and frankly yeah it seemed newbie-light too.

I think one attendence issue might be that, with uk hhc, no headliner is gonna be guaranteed to draw a huge crowd... you bring brisk and some people care, you bring breeze and some people care, etc etc, but there isn't really someone you can stick on top of your flyer who plays the kind of styles that hulla headliners play that will make people's eyes bug out and have them running for the nearest ticket outlet... sure, YOU would go nuts if DJ whoever came, but that's just you... in the jungle scene, there are djs that you can book (especially if you get a few of em) that are gonna be guaranteed to pack the party... i don't think there are any hhc djs that get a response that is both that good and has enough mass-appeal... like i can think of a few simply unbelievable djs spinning the right style right now, but they don't have the name recognition of being listed as a producer on every single H2BH cd... and the ones who do have the name recognition sort of blur with each other... Hixxy and Scott Brown both benefit greatly from doing Bonkers because its UK HHC dj mixes that actually reach people on this side of the pond. just how it is.

frankly, i don't really want as many people as possible. the less underground our scene is, the less good it is... i'm sure you've noticed. it's called selling out. i understand that these attendance problems may be affecting hulla, though... perhaps a smaller venue would do. or perhaps frolic would retire the legendary hullabaloo while she's still got the title of queen of north american raving, rather than watch it slowly crumble and encourage a deterioration in the Toronto hardcore scene as it withered.

you know what, folks? this isn't something to be afraid of... you can't start something like hulla with the intention to have it continue forever - well, you can, but you'll end up being wrong. nothing is forever, and thank god for that - it's the fact that makes everything special and everything important. you get hulla after hulla, for some of you years and years of hulla, and if it comes to an end you whine for more? you could've been sitting at home all those nights... when it ends, its sealed for good in the past, and it's something amazing that all of us have inside ourselves and between our little sub-community. bitch about missing woodstock, smile about hulla.

oh, and just to scare everyone a tad more... December would be a good last hulla, I think more so than any other all year... it's the end of the year, should get reasonably solid attendence depending on the details... Frolic could go a little crazier than normal maybe, go out with a bang, and then go raise his son and enjoy his life. i'd be satisfied, personally.

but, really, if you're afraid of the end of hulla meaning the death of the scene... you think all us hulla people are just gonna be sitting at home on those saturday nights?! we're gonna pack our record bags and we're gonna blow the roof off some other place... what, you people aren't capable of having a party on your own, you need some kind of party authority holding your hand? if we all want a rave, we're gonna have a rave, believe-you-me.
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #54
enD
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to enD
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbz
I think one attendence issue might be that, with uk hhc, no headliner is gonna be guaranteed to draw a huge crowd...

DJ Sy

GOODFELLAZ says Goodbye on September 13th, 2008!
www.goodfellaz.ca
enD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #55
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
yes orbz it WOULD be terrible if hulla ended, awful terrible..
CareSieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #56
Acorn143
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Acorn143
Hulla Forever

Purerave: Acorn143
Acorn143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #57
S2S
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busta
I'm more worried about where all the old schoolers are going. Why is there this notion that you "outgrow" the rave scene? Hippies didn't "outgrow" the hippie scene.

We are still around.
The only things that stops us from coming out too a hulla is
1.The Venue, no old schoolers like the oprea house.
Everyone will tell you that they would only go to a hulla if it was at a new location & 2 rooms would help alot. This way you would be able too have a much larger line up. This is why we go to the 19+ clubs that have this!

Old schoolers like to go too old school style raves!
Old September 25th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #58
Mr Skittles
Friendship Crew

Photos: 7  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mr Skittles Send a message via MSN to Mr Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Skittles
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S
We are still around.
The only things that stops us from coming out too a hulla is
1.The Venue, no old schoolers like the oprea house.
Everyone will tell you that they would only go to a hulla if it was at a new location & 2 rooms would help alot. This way you would be able too have a much larger line up. This is why we go to the 19+ clubs that have this!

Old schoolers like to go too old school style raves!

Granted I am used to multi-room parties. But I am happy with hulla. The vibe is there, I love the people who go, and yes, I do miss the old skoolers!! I myself am not an old skool hullaballooer. My first hulla was Get Hype (April 03).

Lucky Star Travel

"A movin groove with a massive plan"

TOP FLIGHT MUTHA-F*CKIN SECURITY
Mr Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #59
jules
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to jules
I've been attending Hullas since '99 and there have always been rumours about "the last hulla".
All I know is that Frolic would make an announcement if it was the last hulla.
So everyone just calm down on that one.
I will have to agree that attendance is a total crapshoot lately and if you want big parties like Hulla (and Goodfellaz) to continue you HAVE to come out.

Personally, from a Goodfellaz perspective, I've noticed that alot less Americans are coming up than say in 2002-2003. Maybe our american Hullaboarders can shed some light on this? Thankfully there were alot of Newbs at Drift on a Dream, which is encouraging.

In terms of when parties are scheduled, unless you do like Hulla and announce what all of your dates for the rest of the year will be, its pretty hard to co-ordinate. TR tried to start a calendar for promoters to use to negotiate their dates & headliners, but it flopped. But I do agree that it is important that the parties are spaced well.
jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #60
perry461
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to perry461 Send a message via AIM to perry461 Send a message via Yahoo to perry461
Hmm....that makes a lot of sense...IN MY OPINION (sorry I have it all caps, but just to make sure everyone knows that this is MY OPINION) its sorta like church (well around here anyways). Theres eleventy-four different chruches with different religions, and everyone wonders why the attendance is so low...if there were only 3-4, things would be different. Its the same with parties....theres a few different parties that go on every week or whatever, and people have to decide which one to go to. If its a big party like Hullabaloo or Goodfellaz, parties that are a little more expensive, most people have to make a choice. That choice will be ultimately based on genre of music and/or performers present, not to mention how many friends are going to whichever rave. not a lot of ravers have the means to make it to all the parties, so the attendance will be roughly split in half. While if ther were spaced 2, even 3 weeks apart, ravers have the time to recover and accumulate funds. I also know there are probably 100+ little things that promoters have to take into consideration, like getting a date for a venue and booking the talent etc...another thing, is that there are many different promoters. This also complicates things, trying to decide on which party to attend, while if there were less, it wouldn't be an issue. Not that its a bad thing....but more promoters, while good for the scene, can also have the opposite effect. But anyways, that just my thought. I'm not a promoter, so I don't know what you guys have to go through...I think I do my job for the scene, which is going and supporting it and most important...having fun!
perry461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #61
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to pointy_sticks Send a message via AIM to pointy_sticks Send a message via Yahoo to pointy_sticks
Choosing a date is hard. No matter how safe a date seems, something will always create a conflict that will affect attendance, whether it's another party, midterms, crackdown at the border, whatever. Sometimes all you can do is grab the date you need and hope for the best, even if it does end up too close to another large party.
Old September 26th, 2004, 03:02 AM   #62
CandyGirl23
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to CandyGirl23 Send a message via MSN to CandyGirl23
I think part of the reason there are fewer americans at parties in toronto is that there aren't really many *newbies* in the states either. Raves don't exist many places... and the few places that still have a scene are pretty far from toronto, or don't ever feature hardcore. I know when i found my first rave, i picked up a flyer for another party 2 weeks later and went to that... and then picked up a flyer for one after that and just kept going and meeting more people, and eventually made my way up to toronto for the amazing hulla that i'd heard so much about from someone who'd been to many. After that first trip, toronto became one of my favorite places. We just need new faces to spread that word to... hopefully the next rochester party will be promoted to people that are unfamiliar with the scene and it'll draw new faces (and bring older ones out of the woodwork).
CandyGirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 06:04 AM   #63
psychosis
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to psychosis Send a message via Yahoo to psychosis
one problem in new england with hullas is everytime there is a hulla there is some huge party somewhere...i didnt go to funtopia b/c there was One Nation in NYC and it made sense to drive 3 hours with a bunch of friends then 7 hours by myself...but no fear i finnally went to my first hulla(Drift) and im hooked and like i hooked all my raverfriends on hhc i have them all set to go in december i have like 5 or 6 people already that wanna come...lets just hope its a jawdropping lineup so they can experience what i did last saturday which was probably one of the best experiences of my life...i hope hulla doesnt die for a long time but i doubt it will frolic has always been determine to keep pushing no matter what was thrown at him and he always seems to come out on top
psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #64
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 28 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to chipakapockets
I think we need to send Hulla commandos out to these other promotion companies who compete with Hulla... and utterly destroy them... YES!!!

PLUR,

Chip
chipakapockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #65
perry461
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to perry461 Send a message via AIM to perry461 Send a message via Yahoo to perry461
Wouldn't that mean that Goodfellaz would be destroyed? Sorry good buddy...I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one.....now...if you said just destroy promoters like Destiny....than giver 90!
Old September 27th, 2004, 01:04 AM   #66
orbz
Hullaboarder

Any candy commandos wanna try to fuck with the Goodfellaz and Ima hurt you bad.

Destiny... hehehe... Destiny doesn't even cross my mind these days... they're kind of in the same category as Z103.5 in my brain :P
orbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:47 AM   #67
Plasticmotive
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Plasticmotive
Everything you're saying Orbz sounds right on. I do believe the Goodfellaz crew have everything it takes to take over as the top hardcore company in at least Toronto, and they do get UK headliners just as Hulla has for so many years. And who's to say Chris won't just turn over his contact list to them when he does decided to stop/take a break. As for the state of the scene, again, it's up to the people, no promotion company can survive without support. So support your scene and if the last Hulla is in December, then everyone make a point of being at the Goodfellaz party on New Years!!! It's all about support. What I'm saying is that the whole scene has been on a decline since 2000 and a lot of that has to do with how ravers have been spoiled so much, for so long! With lower attandence comes a lower budget, meaning that not every party will have a big name headliner. If you haven't noticed we still have a pretty strong scene considering, and just because a party doesn't have a big named headliner doesn't mean it's going to be a bad party. And likewise we have great dj's here in Toronto that we all know and love, plus new talent is always coming up!!! Just Support, Bottom Line!!!!

Next party you get excited about, tell a friend, tell two!! Make them actually come to the party, no excuses!!! Make new ravers, make new friends with new ravers, make sure those new raver friends are well equipped with upcoming flyers to take to all their friends back at school!!!!!!!
And for gawd sake Teach them PLUR!!!!! DO YOUR PART!!!!!!

Okay, there's my rant for the day. lol

Jeff
Plasticmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 03:04 AM   #68
Plasticmotive
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Plasticmotive
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbz
I think one attendence issue might be that, with uk hhc, no headliner is gonna be guaranteed to draw a huge crowd...

DJ Sy

I'd go to any party if they brought Sy!!! Been saying that for years though!

Destroying all the other companies?!?! How the heck would that help?!?!?! Companies just have to work together, and right now for the first time in a long time most of the companies in the Toronto scene are working together, with the excepting of a few copany's that seem to only be in it for themselves. But you'll get that in any scene or in any business field.
Plasticmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #69
perry461
Hullaboarder

Its kind of a vicious cycle....more big parties = more parties to attend = (more than likely) less attendance at all these parties. Like I said before, not everyone can afford to attend every big party, so they much pick and choose.
Old September 27th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #70
Jennydarling
Hullanewbie

Send a message via MSN to Jennydarling
maybe they should try new things. like themes and stuff more decorations!! new djays!? make new and interesting!
Jennydarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 04:56 PM   #71
HEATER
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to HEATER
^^yes yes they should^^

and the lack of a response leads me to belive this could very well be our last hulla
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:40 PM   #72
orbz
Hullaboarder

how about everyone save the panic attacks until after frolic says something, rather than starting fires and then freaking out because he doesn't go around putting them out?

no matter what state things are in, i always always always hear the same thing: the scene is in a decline. i don't just mean hardcore, i don't just mean raves, i don't just mean music, i mean EVERYTHING. everyone always insists that everything is always worse than it used to be.

the people who came out weekend after weekend to cherry beach this summer, the people who went to the biggest teknival yet, those people might just have a different opinion on the state of the scene in toronto. i'm one of those people and i sure as hell do. i see declining ticket sales, yeah... i also see a decline in the number of parties that even involve tickets. i'm not worried in the least about the health of our scene, personally. toronto knows how to party
orbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #73
[SQUARE]
Hullaboarder

The scene is just evolving. There's less all ages events but there's lots of "electronic" clubs still going strong.
[SQUARE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 04:47 AM   #74
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
December 11th won't be the last Hulla but the last one is on the horizon.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #75
perry461
Hullaboarder

Still not the news I was hoping for....but its nice to know that there will be a few more Hullas around the corner.