wilky
Hullaboarder

hardcore scene in canada

wots the scene like over there
wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #2
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to pointy_sticks Send a message via AIM to pointy_sticks Send a message via Yahoo to pointy_sticks
Large and in charge.

You wanna be more specific?
Old November 12th, 2004, 09:15 AM   #3
slektAh
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to slektAh
it's not really in charge You all thrash the only speedcore dj that posts on here.
it's all happy but aside from that it's all about new york bro.
slektAh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #4
orbz
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to orbz
would you SHUT THE FUCK UP about michael jatas? for christ's sake, he's a FAKE, he doesn't produce music, he's NOT A DJ.

he posts here because he posts on every message board on the planet because its the only way for his pathetic ass to get attention.
I'm amazed, but you're clearly more of an idiot than he is, because you FELL FOR IT.

Go take some hearing lessons or something and go the hell away.

I was at a great speedcore/breakcore party last weekend, put on and featuring REAL hardcore DJs and producers from the Toronto hardcore scene, which is THRIVING.

You don't know shit, you obviously aren't interested in knowing anything considering I've brought these people up before, you're just focussed on promoting Jatas. You're either a total dumbfuck or you're working for him, and either way your idiotic comments are very much not wanted.

Last edited by orbz : November 12th, 2004 at 09:50 AM.
orbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #5
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to itsgigglegirl
^^^*claps*

and the scene in toronto is great...western NY is getting pretty good too

what more do you want to know?

You can't miss me, I'm the girl with the smile

Shake like an earthquake, and cut like a guillotine
itsgigglegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #6
exT
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to exT
happy hardcore and gabber are doing very well in canada right now.. the scenes in toronto, ottawa, montreal, and quebec city are bumpin', and i've heard of hardcore uprisings in halifax, winnipeg, calgary, edmnton, and also vancouver! be proud canada!
Old November 12th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #7
perry461
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to perry461 Send a message via AIM to perry461 Send a message via Yahoo to perry461
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbz
would you SHUT THE FUCK UP about michael jatas? for christ's sake, he's a FAKE, he doesn't produce music, he's NOT A DJ.

he posts here because he posts on every message board on the planet because its the only way for his pathetic ass to get attention.
I'm amazed, but you're clearly more of an idiot than he is, because you FELL FOR IT.

Go take some hearing lessons or something and go the hell away.

I was at a great speedcore/breakcore party last weekend, put on and featuring REAL hardcore DJs and producers from the Toronto hardcore scene, which is THRIVING.

You don't know shit, you obviously aren't interested in knowing anything considering I've brought these people up before, you're just focussed on promoting Jatas. You're either a total dumbfuck or you're working for him, and either way your idiotic comments are very much not wanted.

*Slow clap*

PS...that guy probably IS Jatas.
perry461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #8
orbz
Hullaboarder

well i'm gonna go with detective frolic's evidence of them not being from the same source. although i'm curious as to whether the ip address slektah uses is actually located in florida.

i doubt jatas is using new IP addresses to try to defend himself. well... no i don't.

but also, the way jatas talks kind of instantly reveals that he's a moron... this guy just plain sounds different. but we all know jatas is a master of disguise anyway.

*doesn't bother to insert wolf mask photo here*
Old November 12th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #9
perry461
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to perry461 Send a message via AIM to perry461 Send a message via Yahoo to perry461
Maybe its not Jatas....maybe he's just truly an idiot.
perry461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 02:26 AM   #10
slektAh
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to slektAh
maybe im just a fan of good breakcore You assholes shut the fuck up already wow.
try it ,it works.
slektAh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #11
orbz
Hullaboarder

you're obviously not

go away
Old November 14th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #12
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Way to get out of topic...

Anways, getting back to topic, I think the scene is struggling now.
astralkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #13
ka0tique
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
to be fair astral, you only come out for the big headliners, orbz on the other hand is at pretty much every party you or I go to, plus he is out at smaller parties as well, what... most weeks?

While much more volatile in his opinions, I would say that he is better qualified to comment on the shape of the scene.

~ Damien SAEZ
ka0tique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #14
astralkid
Hullaboarder

True, I use to go to small parties too, but not as much... But if you think about it, they(big and small parties) are interconnected. Hulla parties are soon going to be gone, and as for Goodfellaz I'm pretty sure they are having trouble with attendance.
Old November 14th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #15
ka0tique
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
There's no point speculating when you don't have the facts. Notice the new companies popping up lately though? Their performances should be a better indicator as to the current strength of the scene.
ka0tique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #16
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by exT
happy hardcore and gabber are doing very well in canada right now.. the scenes in toronto, ottawa, montreal, and quebec city are bumpin', and i've heard of hardcore uprisings in halifax, winnipeg, calgary, edmnton, and also vancouver! be proud canada!

Ditto.
Old November 14th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #17
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Basically, small companies are showing up more and more, but the big ones are struggling. I guess the longativity of the small companies is a factor.
Old November 14th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #18
orbz
Hullaboarder

lol, i don't mean to come off as volatile

hardcore may be "struggling" a bit... but last i checked this was an underground scene anyhow. the bigger the crowd, the bigger the bottom line, and the more tendency to turn into commercial dance music bullshit. after all, there's a big difference between a 'rave' and a muchmusic video dance party.

if we can't afford something, let's do it for free this scene grew out of groups of people who lacked the resources to be able to throw parties that required venue costs, dj costs, security costs, permit costs, and all that other crap. now we've added all those costs, and maybe that worked for a while, but now companies can find it difficult to get their "profit" out of the red. because we're not supposed to have profits, we're supposed to be the broke-ass underground, getting by by crazy means.

my point is just that i don't think how much money can be made off parties should be looked at as any indicator of the strength of the scene. more important, i think, is that it's not going away. i'm not going away and i know an awful lot of people feel the exact same. i feel that the scene is strong based on how secure its foothold is, not whether or not it can fly in 8 people from around the world to play records.

and beyond that, we're growing and developing, we're definitely progressing, just not in ways that register when you use a commercial scale to judge value. some of my absolute favourite djs, producers and mcs on the planet are out of toronto, and they're constantly doing new things while I watch things in the UK stagnate artistically.

in the UK they can make a lot more money off hardcore
AND THEIR HARDCORE SUCKS NOW!

there, i said it.

the more money our scene makes, the less the scene belongs to us.
Old November 14th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #19
orbz
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka0tique
orbz on the other hand is at pretty much every party you or I go to, plus he is out at smaller parties as well, what... most weeks?

as of late, it's been at least 1 and quite often 2 parties a week

but i'm taking a break for november
need the $ and really need the studying time

well except for softkore, i wouldn't miss softkore for my own funeral
Old November 16th, 2004, 01:59 AM   #20
psychosis
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to psychosis Send a message via Yahoo to psychosis
Quote:
Originally Posted by slektAh

it's all happy but aside from that it's all about new york bro.
its not so all about ny i go to nyc and new england parties almost exclusively and really there is a lot of hardcore parties but they are all very small nothing like hulla or goodfellaz parties we do have amazing talent down here though...
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #21
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to pointy_sticks Send a message via AIM to pointy_sticks Send a message via Yahoo to pointy_sticks
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbz

if we can't afford something, let's do it for free this scene grew out of groups of people who lacked the resources to be able to throw parties that required venue costs, dj costs, security costs, permit costs, and all that other crap. now we've added all those costs, and maybe that worked for a while, but now companies can find it difficult to get their "profit" out of the red. because we're not supposed to have profits, we're supposed to be the broke-ass underground, getting by by crazy means.

The problem with going low-budget is that Toronto ravers are pretty spoiled, and you're bound to lose a significant percentage of your potential attendees when you take cost-cutting measures. People like you or me might go to a party even if it doesn't have nice flyers or decorations or a nice venue or a UK headliner, but there are hundreds more who wouldn't even consider going to a party without those things and that makes it difficult to lure in enough attendees to cover even the necessary costs. Things have changed, there are a lot more things a promoter has to pay for in order to avoid going to jail at the end of the night, meaning that you have to shell out even more on the little things that might boost attendance.
pointy_sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #22
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
The hardcore scene is doing well enough for me to drag my ass all the way from Cleveland to Toronto on a regular basis.
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #23
orbz
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointy_sticks
The problem with going low-budget is that Toronto ravers are pretty spoiled, and you're bound to lose a significant percentage of your potential attendees when you take cost-cutting measures. People like you or me might go to a party even if it doesn't have nice flyers or decorations or a nice venue or a UK headliner, but there are hundreds more who wouldn't even consider going to a party without those things and that makes it difficult to lure in enough attendees to cover even the necessary costs. Things have changed, there are a lot more things a promoter has to pay for in order to avoid going to jail at the end of the night, meaning that you have to shell out even more on the little things that might boost attendance.

im not talking about doing things halfway... i recognize that if you pay for a venue and djs and you dont pay to fill it then the money would've been better spent on vinyl or sandwiches or something

the list of costs i put in my original post is a list of costs that i feel is dragging us slowly to our death unless we change to eliminate them
...that includes venues and that includes permits

but maybe i'm a wily-eyed rebel type

and frankly, this is unrelated (not to mention not directed at you), but what gets passed around as a "nice venue" is exactly what makes me NOT go to parties. sound emporium, fuck that, pulse, fuck that, i don't CARE about their lasers, i don't CARE about their flashing lights, i don't CARE about their smoke machines, im sick of god damn night clubs, you hear me?! the sound SUCKS in these tiny little spaces, TECHNO IS NOT DESIGNED FOR 8 FOOT CEILINGS, it sounds like GARBAGE and makes your ears ring for a week. if i wanted to go clubbing i'd go fucking clubbing, and i sure as hell don't. not to mention the coolest lasers i've ever seen were at free parties anyhow

Last edited by orbz : November 19th, 2004 at 09:14 PM.
Old November 20th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #24
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Actually, the sound at Pulse is some of the best I've heard at a club or a rave. Naturally I'd love to have old-school warehouse parties with speakers stacked to the ceiling or something, but I'm allergic to jail. The rules have changed, clubs are really the only safe and economically viable option in most cities. And they don't have to be the flashy fancy things that Toronto is used to, here in Detroit most of the clubs are as dirty and warehouse-y as any rave venue used to be.

(I know you weren't directing that at me, I'm just trying to carry on the convo )
pointy_sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #25
integrrac
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to integrrac Send a message via Yahoo to integrrac
^^ i agree with pointy. finding a willing non club venue in any city thsese days is quite a chalenge. the legal ramifications are just to great. if you approch a club and ask for the use of their venue for the night to play ardcore records they are ok with that they would just being playing some other kind of music that night anyways. a non club venue however. doesn't know what they are getting into. plus raves are well known enough by now to scare someone off when you say yeah we would like to use your space to play really loud hardcore all night for people to dance to.