Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old August 21st, 2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Phlux
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Phlux
Utah Rave Bust (was: Utah Ravers Brutally Beaten by National Guard)

This is truly shocking. I'm speechless...

------------------------------------------------------
Taken from UTRAVE.ORG
http://utrave.org/showthread.php?t=19971&page=9&pp=10

Username:Rodan

My story for anyone that is browsing the site:

Last night at 10:00 PM I arrived at a party in the Spanish Fork canyon. I was excited to be there to listen to the great electronic artists that had traveled for to play for the crowd.

Before coming to the event I researched it extensively. The party was %100 percent legal and legit with all permits and necessary security required by law being acquired. The event was well organized, with garbage cans, porta potties, and rope lines blocking off parts of the area that you could no go into.

Now I want you to know that many people out there consider ravers a bunch of drug taking freaks. I also want you to know that that is a stereotype that is passed down through legions of undereducated parents, politicians, and media. There are many of us who are drug free party goers who attend these events for a pure love of the music.

So on to my point. At around 11:00 I was enjoying the good vibes and great music. Then at about 11:30 pm a helicopter began circling the party. Out of nowhere huge semis filled with national guard, swat, and the police rolled up. Soldiers came out of the bushes and rushed down to the party. Carrying M-16s, Ak-47s, nightsticks, and tazers. They proceeded to attack random people and push their might around on people who had done nothing wrong.

I saw about 7 people attacked (before being forced to leave). I saw two of them right in front of me. One was a guy who was walking around with a camcorder stunned at what was happening. A soldier told him to give him the camera now. The raver said no it is my camera. The soldier then proceeded to grab the camera, throw it to the ground and then began beating the kid. In the end they threw him to the ground violently an put their knee into his back while handcuffing him. All for wanting to keep his property. When I last saw him he was knocked out and unmoving.

Another girl next to me said to one of the soldiers that she didn't know how to get home as they had just arrested her friend. The soldier told her to walk home. My friend tried to grab her to bring her with us, but the soldier began yelling that she had touched him (which she hadn't). WIthin seconds, five soldiers had jumped on her and were literally beating the crap out of this innocent women. She was punched in the face, thrown to the ground, and kicked while down. All for worrying how to get home safely. She is now suing.
The soldiers proceeded to attack anyone with cameras or camcorders, obviously wanting to restrict the film that got out about it. This was not a legal attack, it was a blatant violation on our rights as American citizens. And the swat, police, politicians who authorized this, and the national guard knew this. That is why they were removing potential evidence.

We were treated as terrorists, innocent kids without weapons or even violent thoughts in their minds were manhandled, treated like terrorists, and forced to stop doing what we were by constitutional rights allowed to be doing. Our rights were completely removed from us. It was if we had visited the 1960s or communist China.

I hope for the sake of the American people that the news media does not let the lies of the government blind them to what truly happened last night. This could happen anywhere to anyone not just ravers, so AMERICA DON'T LET THIS STAND!
Phlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 05:32 PM   #2
OCDancEgiRL
Friendship Crew

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to OCDancEgiRL Send a message via MSN to OCDancEgiRL Send a message via Yahoo to OCDancEgiRL
wow... it's things like this that make me want to say screw the US and move to Canada... hmmm, looks like I need to find a Canadian to marry... any volunteers?

I do everything the hard way ~with love in my heart~ and its taught me alot along the way
OCDancEgiRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:35 PM   #3
Troile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Troile
Stuff like this has been going on in America for a long time.

It has gotten really bad in the last few years. Its a police state.
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:36 PM   #4
CandyGirl23
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to CandyGirl23 Send a message via MSN to CandyGirl23
... that is really incredibly disturbing. more info/accounts are here

http://utrave.org/showthread.php?t=20020&page=1&pp=10
CandyGirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 07:22 PM   #5
djsigma
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to djsigma
It still baffles me how the cops can just go and bust up a peaceful gathering like that just because of the music being played there. You wouldn't see the national guard rolling up on a Phish show or some similar band, even though theres way more drug use going on at a place like that as opposed to a rave or party.
djsigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:54 PM   #6
kandeegirl2
Sweetness and Light Mod

Photos: 29  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to kandeegirl2 Send a message via AIM to kandeegirl2 Send a message via Yahoo to kandeegirl2
majorly fucked up ...not very cool
Old August 21st, 2005, 11:11 PM   #7
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Hoppapotamus
wow.. thats terrible. I felt so much safer in Canada...
Old August 21st, 2005, 11:29 PM   #8
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
thats fucked up for sure...tell anyone you can, contact the ACLU, they are good people that arent afraid to help ravers..
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:57 AM   #9
*KanDie~AnGeL*
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to *KanDie~AnGeL* Send a message via Yahoo to *KanDie~AnGeL*
we should all move up there.. to be on the safe side.. then the dark side that we call the Great USA...

www.kanditrade.com/

come and join us.....
*KanDie~AnGeL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:34 AM   #10
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
pretty nuts.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 02:56 AM   #11
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJLeash
yeah get ahold of the aclu, and the drug policy alliance
they helped with all that stuff up in flint, I'm sure they'll do their best with this.

majorly screwed up.
or
www.myspace.com/djleash
DJLeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:10 AM   #12
NATO
Hullaboarder

www.unnet.net/crap/facism.mov

this just makes me sad and pissed...

Maximum Choonage

skatezilla10@yahoo.com
natohardcore.com
NATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:56 AM   #13
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
now that i get to see the movie with the sound.....all i know is that if i was there i would have been freaking out...thats rediculous..that national guard and HELICOPTERS to bust a rave.....
CareSieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:08 AM   #14
anabolic frolic
Administrator

I'll be curious to hear more about this permit the cops claim didn't exist and the promoters said they had (but was confiscated). Should be easily proven one way or the other through many ways.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:20 AM   #15
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

^^ for sure, the accounts of knick from evol intent, and other djs that were there make it sound pretty legit...

here is Knicks account

"Now.. let's get the facts straight here.

This event was 100% legal. They had every permit the city told them they needed. They had a 2 MILLION DOLLAR insurance policy for the event. They had liscenced security guards at the gates confiscating any alcohol or drugs found upon entry (yes, they searched every car on the way in). Oh, I suppose I should mention that they arrested all the security guards for possession.

Oh another interesting fact.. the police did not have a warrant. The owner of the land already has a lawsuit against the city for something similar. A few months ago, she rented her land for a party and the police raided that as well. And catch this, the police forced her to LEAVE HER OWN PERSONAL PROPERTY. That's right. They didnt arrest her, but made her leave her own property!!!

Don't get it twisted, this is all going down in probably THE most conservative state in the USA. And this is scary.. a gross violation of our civil liberties. The police wanted this party shut down, so they made it happen. Even though everything about this event was legal. The promoters spent over $ 20,000 on this show and did everything they had to to make it legit, only to have it taken away from them by a group of radical neo-con's with an agenda.

This was one of the scariest things I have ever witnessed in person. I can't even begin to describe how surreal it was. Helicopters, assault rifles, tear gas, camoflauge-wearing soldiers.... why? Was that really necessary?

This needs to be big news across the USofA. At least in our music scene (edm as a whole)... this could happen to any of us at any time. When we're losing the right to gather peacefully, we're also letting the police set a standard of what we can get away with. And I think that's BULLSHIT!

The system fucked up last night... They broke up a party that was 100% legal and they physically hurt a lot of people there at the same time. The promoters already have 6 lawsuits ready to file with their lawyers and the ACLU is already involved.

I'm sure some pictures (and hopefully some video) will surface soon. I'll make sure to post them up here on 404, so you can see the Police State of America at work.

Evil or Very Mad

p.s. - there are more stories of police brutality that i'll post up later. gotta hit the airport soon. can't wait to get the fuck out of this shit hole state."

I think its very interesting how atleast a few of the people busted for drugs were the SECURITY whose JOB it is to confiscate such things...
CareSieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:31 AM   #16
OCDancEgiRL
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to OCDancEgiRL Send a message via MSN to OCDancEgiRL Send a message via Yahoo to OCDancEgiRL
after reading this I made sure to post it on three other message boards I'm on, added it to both my LJ, & PR journal, as well as posting a bulletin on MySpace... anyone else pass it elsewhere?
OCDancEgiRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:02 AM   #17
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
this is absolutely terrifying.. i cannot believe we are living in a country where things like this can happen... MY GOD that is scary...

I am sad to see our goverment using valuable tax resources to fund an attack on innocent ravers... i hate mean people.. really i do

is anything being done to combat this? ACLU where are you?

please keep everyone posted... my thoughts hopes and dreams go out to all affected by this...
it's time to unify... if we really try...
kylefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:03 PM   #18
anabolic frolic
Administrator

The sound wasn't turned on my computer but that video is absolutely frightening. Looks like it was filmed for a movie or something.

My sympathies to those promoters. They've got a hell of a road ahead of them against some very organized opponents. Things got turned around in Toronto when we were able to get the media to start reporting fairly and some of the really outspoken politicians started looking like kooks and the poiliticians realised they were better off looking like moderates who just wanted kids to have a safe place to party. But you can't compare here with there at all, unfortunately.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:48 PM   #19
spideygirl
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATO
it looks like the war on freedom continues. that is really disturbing.
spideygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:50 PM   #20
anabolic frolic
Administrator

I've done a lot of reading about this event now and I can't shake the suspicion that the promoters didn't really have the permit in question (despite lots of hearsay online saying otherwise).

If there's a lesson I can pass on to any promoter, it's to shed the subversive element of promoting an event with a "location announced the day of" and treat it just like any other concert. I've learned first hand theres nothing the police hate more than someone trying to sneak thousands of people under their noses. That was all fine and good in the old days when no one had a clue what we were up to, but those days are long behind us and it's better for everyone to just work with them.

Having said that, sending in the army to break up a party is still totally rediculous, and I'm not really commenting on this event any more, just some words for future consideration.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:40 PM   #21
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
this whole story sounds suspect. besides, if you have the money to put on a party of that caliber, why not throw it in a civilized state. i mean, shit, UTAH!? get a clue.

also, you have $2mil of insurance, that's more than enough to get some lawyers and fight the shit.....so quit bitching.

This guy will be the entire reason I stop lurking here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim
i cant even imagine what goes on inside your head day by day. but whatever it is it must be awesome.
No Typical Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:42 PM   #22
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
oh, and if there's video....put it out.
No Typical Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:44 PM   #23
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsigma
It still baffles me how the cops can just go and bust up a peaceful gathering like that just because of the music being played there. You wouldn't see the national guard rolling up on a Phish show or some similar band, even though theres way more drug use going on at a place like that as opposed to a rave or party.

Yeah, that's always my point. Sure there were probably people at that party doing drugs. But there have been people doing drugs at every rock concert I've ever been to and they never get raided by the National Guard. I went to see the Greatful Dead back when Jerry was still with us and let me tell you! Talk about some drug use. But no cops, swat, or army guys beating hippies there. Are ravers so much more dangerous than hippies that we need people in full out military garb wielding assault rifles and tasers to shut them down? WTF!
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:57 PM   #24
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJLeash
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Typical Raver
oh, and if there's video....put it out.

www.unnet.net/crap/facism.mov

it is out.
DJLeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:05 PM   #25
heatheraloo
Hullaboarder

yeah, and its crazy. There was no point in using that much force for some party kids dancing in a field or wherever Utah-ians party at... its just rediculous. We're not terrorists.
heatheraloo is offline   Reply With Quote