User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old August 23rd, 2005, 03:56 PM   #51
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
I modified the title of this thread to something more accurate. Lots of incorrect info out there.

I noticed on the utrave site that there are a couple of threads from people asking for the promoters to scan in the permits. So far nothing.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:11 PM   #52
HardKore_PurpLe
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HardKore_PurpLe Send a message via MSN to HardKore_PurpLe Send a message via Yahoo to HardKore_PurpLe
some of u keep thinking they had no permit for a mass gathering in which they did : Party promotor Brandon Fullmer said he purchased a mass gathering permit through the Utah County Health Department about three weeks ago. The purchase of that permit, which ensures water, sanitation and medical services, was confirmed by County Health employee Jay Stone.
HardKore_PurpLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:17 PM   #53
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Dude, if you're going to quote, use the entire quote.
Quote:

Party promotor Brandon Fullmer said he purchased a mass gathering permit through the Utah County Health Department about three weeks ago. The purchase of that permit, which ensures water, sanitation and medical services, was confirmed by County Health employee Jay Stone.
Fullmer did not know that a similar permit, which requires a security plan and event details, needed to be acquired.

Then of course there's this quote from the 2nd article that was posted:
Quote:

Such a permit should have been obtained through the Utah County Commission. County code says applicants should submit a request — along with a $100 fee — to the commission 30 days prior to the event, said Utah County Commissioner Jerry Grover.
The commission reviews the application and can issue a "large gathering license." Groups must also get another mass-gathering permit through the county health department, which outlines specifics about portable bathrooms, water and trash facilities. Although Uprok had a health department permit and emergency medical personnel, Grover said they never came to the commission for a license.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:21 PM   #54
anabolic frolic
Administrator

I've been through all of this myself personally. I threw a party in an underground parking garage once with the best information I had telling me it was OK which included seeing police walking through the venue the week before at another party and no issues. Well, it wasn't ok and I was crucified for it and spent the next couple of years in court. My excuse then was venues like that were a regular thing and we didn't know any better, but in the year 2005 you got to make sure you dot your i's and cross your t's.

So, since I've been there, I know how these things happen. I understand why people feel strongly about what went down, but it's important to look at all the information with a level head. My first reaction was disgust and outrage as well, but now I'm trying to look at all pieces of the puzzle.

Last I read the promoters are claiming to have had ALL the permits (the health one AND the county one, despite one of their quotes to the contrary) so the onus is on them to prove that. Until they do however, I have my suspicions.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:39 PM   #55
Troile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Troile
This gave me the chills
Quote:
This was a pretty informed post on Utah Daily Herald:

"I'm a 52 year-old father of one.

My only son, Brandon, is now 25 years old. He is a school teacher in Fort Worth, Texas. When he was 15, Brandon asked for my permission to go to a 'rave.'

Now I was more than a little disturbed by this, as most of you parents out there would be. My kid, a very bright boy with promise and intellect, wanting to go hang out at a party with a bunch of druggie heathens? Oh no, not in this house. So I said no, and Brandon did not go out that night.

Two weeks later, he asked again, and again I said no. Two or three weeks down the road, the same thing. Finally, in the heat of what was becoming a regularly-occurring heated argument, I gave in on one condition: I would be going with him.

Folks, these kids are OUR children. And let me tell you now, the kids are alright. I went to that rave. I went to the one he wanted to go to about a month later. Although he no longer lives close by, Brandon still attends raves, and with my blessing.

I've seen this community of "druggie heathens," and they're going to be just fine. If anything, the raving community has taught me several things as a father. Acceptance, for one. The kids, some sober and more than a few not, accepted me, an old fogie. Believe it or not, after talking with a lot of these previously-deemed miscreants, I've found that these kids are some of the brightest out there. Even those that are on drugs.

Raves are NOT scary. I've been far more scared driving up to an ATM near my home in Miami. I've been more afraid to walk down the streets in some nearby neighborhoods. There are no weapons at raves. There's security personnel checking everyone, and I mean everyone, including then 42-year old fathers.

Now I'm not saying I've never seen things that have scared me. Once, I saw a person overdose. On alcohol. In all of my experiences at raves over the past 10 years, I've never seen someone overdose on ecstacy or any other drug. Considering the amount of narcotics done in and around Miami, I'd say raves are one of the safest places for your children to be on the weekends, if they're not within your sight.

What we as parents are forgetting is the amount of LOVE in the raving community. By love, I do not mean sex. I mean genuine affection for the well being of others. These kids care for each other. They look out for their friends and make sure they're okay. They bear candy bracelets and hand them out to the people they meet, as a memento of their meeting and of the night. They're not gun-toting, rape and pillaging youth.

Do I agree with drug use? Absolutely not. However, these are an independent people, with minds of their own. At least they have people that care about their well being watching over them when they're on something.

These are OUR children. They are not terrorists. They should not be having assault rifles pointed in their direction. They should not be attacked for gathering peacefully and listening to music, sober or not. They should not be attacked like dogs, by dogs (two and four-legged).

People, stand up for your rights as citizens. Stand up for YOUR children. There are right and wrong ways to do things, and this was wrong. If you want to break up a rave, fine. Bring in officers and tell people to go home. You don't need camouflage, tear gas, attack dogs and assault rifles to do this. A simple, "We're shutting it down," will do.

Hopefully, some of these atrocities perpetuated upon the kids will be revisited upon officers with suspensions, firings and lawsuits. Just because you have a badge doesn't give you the right to break the law yourselves by beating defenseless children. You should be ashamed of yourselves. God IS watching.

To the kids out there posting and reading these comments, know this. Some of us parents love you. Some of us parents care for you. Some of us parents SUPPORT YOUR CAUSE, whether we agree with it or not. Peace, love, UNITY and respect. Please, be safe and continue to help others.

To the parents: listen to your kids. Show some interest in the same things they do. Connect. Be open-minded. Attend a rave and decide for yourself. Don't let society's stigmas rule your beliefs. Search out truth, and find satisfaction at coming to your conclusions through experience rather than simply believing everything you hear.

-A Truly Concerned Parent"
Listing 1-1 of 1
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:41 PM   #56
peachfuzz
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to peachfuzz Send a message via Yahoo to peachfuzz
Even without the proper permits and such though, is police brutality actually warranted. That is my question.

Sure, I can see breaking a party up, and if people resist, then you'll have to use force... but seeing video footage of like 5 officers standing around one person, beating the hell out of him/her, and kicking them while they're on the ground just completely disgusts me.
peachfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:55 PM   #57
anabolic frolic
Administrator

well, theres certainly seperate issues here. I'm speaking more of the circumstances of WHY the party was busted in the first place.

I could never condone the cops acting as they did though when it came time to shut it down.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:37 PM   #58
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolic frolic
ha, well, I thought about "Mentoring". Not sure how I'd go about that. Maybe a pay per minute phone consultation or something .

My book, whenever thats done, will have a lot of "nuts & bolts" stuff in it that people will hopefully learn from.

i wouldn't mind picking your brain =)

any idea when we might see a copy of such book or possibly a documentary?

and on to the mentoring thing.. u could be like a rave support hotline...

3 am the phone rings and frolic answers to hear a frantic rave promoter calling for help... FROLIC what do i do...

i can see it now =0 robin and gavin would love it im sure =)

hehe... and about the actual topic of this post... i love it when frolic starts the investigation ... he's just so good at being level headed and realistic...
definately a quality i admire...

hrmm.. ok i'm done.. i'm gonna go make dinner... BBQ chicken legs, green beans, and white cheddar macaroni... YUM

love you hulla ravers i really do.. i would DIE if something like that happened to any of us...
kylefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:56 PM   #59
Guardian419
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Guardian419
Pretty fucked up... BTW I dont think that video works anymore and I still wanna check it out...
Guardian419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:13 AM   #60
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
i tried to show it to my boyfriend and it was not working either...

i watched several times the other day
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:42 AM   #61
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Hoppapotamus
Hmm.. the only reason im not so sure, is because the sherriff does lie in this statement. In the sound version of the video you can hear dogs barking, and he claims there were no dogs.

The thing i dont like about the promoters statement, is that he makes several spelling mistakes, which is unproffessional, but it seems this is the message he sent to fellow party goers.

Anyways, here are the statements.

Sheriff Tracy's response to emails.
Thank you for your concern, all of your facts are incorrect and the gross exaggerations on the internet are just that, exaggerations and lies. Please view the "video" frame by frame, it shows two people, the two who assaulted our deputies, being taken to the ground and handcuffed, not assaulted. There were two people that were dealt with in a physical manner after kicking and assaulting the Deputy. No gas, no dogs, no tasers, and no military or guns were pointed into any ones face or were used. This gathering was illegal and a venue for rampant use of illegal drugs.

I am "the establishment" and you will choose to call me a liar and I will not waste any more of my time arguing with those that have political agendas that include allowing or promoting the breaking of law.

Sheriff Tracy

Promoters statement:

I was the main event organizer for "Versus II", I have been throwing parties in Utah for over 6 years now. I have done well over 75 parties, and NEVER in my life have witnessed anything so disrupting!

To clear up any questions any of you had for the event at hand, we DID have all proper permits to host the event on the property that we did. The Utah national guard is one of the agencies that raided the show, and they were the worst ones. That girl you see getting the shit beat out happens to be one of my good friends, keep in mind this girl does not drink, do drugs, or anything of the sort. All she is is a major DNB fan. We also have hand on eyewitnesses with writen statements stating thay had witnessed 2 of the ment in camo take a young intoxicated girl into one of the porto-potties during the main coarse of the raid while one of them stood outside a watch. In the mean time we presented the "Utah County Mass Gathering Permit" to the officer in charge and he said" No you do not have a permit for this and confiscated my folder w/ insurance policy, Permits, Business Licsense, and proof of permission to use property for the event.

THIS IS THE COUNTRY WE LIVE IN TODAY!!

IT'S ALL FUCKED!!!

We are in the mistd of organizing a protest party in the capital lawn of salt lake city utah to let our voiced be heard. We will keep all of you informed on what is going on.

I and the rest of my krew appreciate all of the support from everyone across the world, and we do want to let all of you know that we WILL NOT let this matter slide.

We have met with our attorneys and are filing a multi-million dollar class action law suite to accomidate the injuries, mental distress, and everything else that happened to these innocent party goers.

These events that happened are starting to be publicly released nation wide on news stations, national radio talk shows and so on and so forth.

The support from all of you is why!

RESPEKT!!

I guess we will see how this turns out.
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #62
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Hoppapotamus
Hoppapotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #63
anabolic frolic
Administrator

These promoters should be taking the high road and trying to come across as respectable business people. No politician is going to side with those kinds of rants. A calm explanation of their version of events, including dates of when these permits were acquired, etc.. and they'd probably be advised to be funneling everything they have to say through a lawyer and media relations people.

When we put on the iDance rallies in Toronto, they were so well organized, so well supported, by the time they rolled around the politicians felt it was in THEIR best interests TO SUPPORT us. AFAIK the iDance rallies were the most successful of their kind in North America, both in turnout (over 20,000 each time) and positive effect it had on the scene. Although ultimately the damage was done and the scene was never the same. But at least it allowed us to continue in some fashion for another 5 years.

I wish them the best.
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #64
Super D
Hullanewbie

Super D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #65
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Good to see a lawyer is actually involved now. If the case is built around excesive force then hopefully they have a chance and the permit thing is irrelevant.

I see the promoters have been advised to not say anything more online. finally, some good advice.
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #66
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJLeash
finally watched the video,
it about made me sick, no kidding.
the cops all stomping and kneeing that kid on the ground, not to mention the four or five other people surrounded by cops lying on the ground.
Permit or not, its just uncalled for. What kind of world is this. I've seen more screwed up people at ozfest than at parties. I mean, god. THEY HAD ASSAULT RIFLES!!!?!
WHY? Why would they need mass artilery and the full on swat gear like they're heading over to iraq? Its a fucking scare tactic, it doesn't matter if the promoters win the lawsuit, because all they wanted to do was fuck up some ravers and show, it doesn't matter what you think you have because the police, the government, and the rest of them can just stomp it out of you. What a screwed up world we live in. I mean everybody's seen parties get busted, or heard of them getting busted. They didn't used to get this violent with it did they? I mean here a couple parties got busted for curfew violations(ie. all ages party, curfew for those under 18 is like eleven o clock or something) Keep in mind this was several years ago. so yeah cops come in line everybody up check id's and the underage kids get taken in and their parents get called. But no huge problems, no kids gettin the shit kicked out of em or anything. Just that's it, parties over everybody go home.

why do they have to get all crazy about it, like its a war?
We are insurgents. I don't understand. I really don't. That shit in flint, now this. Its like a trend is starting up or something. I just dunno.

2 cents dropped once again...
or
www.myspace.com/djleash
DJLeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #67
HardKore_PurpLe
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HardKore_PurpLe Send a message via MSN to HardKore_PurpLe Send a message via Yahoo to HardKore_PurpLe
i agree with you, regardless if they promoters had the right permits or not there was no reason for this kind of action, a simple " partys over go home" would have been enuff the kids at the party would have just gone home,not to mention the police did not show a warrant to even be on the persons property!
HardKore_PurpLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #68
djsigma
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to djsigma
Not that it was acceptable, but I'm reasonably sure the police don't need a warrant in a situation like this. If it was true that there were undercover cops there investigating the scene, there was enough probably cause to send in the actual cops to shut things down. Thats not to say they were justified in actually doing it the way they did, however. It was just ridiculous, with all the Army type people there.
djsigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #69
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
I thank God I was born in Canada when I hear things like this.

I've seen some parties busted, including illegal warehouse jams and whatnot, and every time, it was always just a couple cops coming in, finding the promoter, and telling him "Party's over. Turn off the music and go home." Everyone left peacefully. As you left, the cops had a soft cordon set up to ensure nothing got out of hand, but they were very polite and courteous, as they should be to the citizens they're paid to protect.

I've also done extensive riot control training, use of force training, and detention techniques. If they did indeed point their weapons at the patrons, that constitutes use of 'Deadly Force'. (You don't point your weapon at something you don't intend on killing is the gist of it.) Those officers who carried out those actions have to be able to justify with absolute certainty that their life was in danger.

If the allegations are true, I think those who hold the power, especially those with the liability of use of force need to be reminded of the responsibility that comes with these actions. I hope they're prosecuted to to full extent of the law, and put duty only when stoplights go out.

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Everybodies_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #70
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

^^^ what he said
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:08 AM   #71
Glyce
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 8 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to Glyce Send a message via MSN to Glyce
I love you guys. I agree with most things said. 'Nuff said. Our renegade got busted. It was fair, it was legit that it did, and the police were chill cats. A little put-offish, but there was no reason to use force, so they didn't. Fuckin' ridiculous.
Old August 25th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #72
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJLeash
kudos mike,
always well said.
DJLeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #73
Fitzpatrick
Hullaboarder

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fitzpatrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolic frolic
Those security guards are dumb, or greedy. Putting confiscated drugs in your back pocket, how exactly would you expect the police to interpert that?

This article confirms that the promoter didn't have all the correct permits. Unfortunately ignorance of the law has never been a defense for anything.

I read an official statement by the promoter (can find the link atm buts its on utravers.org).

And in this it has a link to utahs website and the law about the mass gathering. The law stated that you only need a permit if the event is to have more than 250 people and last for more than 12 hours.

So it sounds like if he didn't have it then he didn't need it.
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #74
anabolic frolic
Administrator

If that 12 hour deal is for real, then they really have a case now.

I am going to go back to my very first comment though, that promoters in general should stop coming across as subversive and promote their events with full disclosure of the venue. That will help with the perception from the authorities.
Old August 25th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #75
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

I really don't know either way... as to what the outcome will be...

i do not know enough about the truth to make a decision.. i just hope anyone hurt in this matter has justice...

and thats so true.. if you're throwing a legit party.. why not announce the venue... make it be known.. and MAKE SURE IT'S LEGAL... right?

i think that is how i would go about it..