User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old August 25th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #76
ShakieJ
Hullaboarder
Karts Champion! High Score: 85700  Plasmanout V2 Champion! High Score: 2675 

Send a message via AIM to ShakieJ Send a message via MSN to ShakieJ
anyone know were we can see this video the links on here dont seem to be working

but man that is truly fucked up
ShakieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #77
ShakieJ
Hullaboarder
Karts Champion! High Score: 85700  Plasmanout V2 Champion! High Score: 2675 

Send a message via AIM to ShakieJ Send a message via MSN to ShakieJ
man i found that video man thats some disturbing shit and the police cheif denys that there was no forcefull use at all bullshit you can see clearly the army dudes kicking the girl anyways for people that want to see it

http://www.modernfix.com/images/vid...oops_invade.mov)

Last edited by ShakieJ : August 25th, 2005 at 10:47 PM.
ShakieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:23 AM   #78
Glyce
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 8 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to Glyce Send a message via MSN to Glyce
Parties should always be legit. Yupperz. Renegades are dumb. Yup. But it also IS Utah. Just like it was for us in Colorado Springs. Theyd've tried anyway ya know? Oh well. Anything to manipulate the public.

But yea, I hope all goes well for these kyds. I hope they DIDN'T do anything stupid.
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:10 AM   #79
HardKore_PurpLe
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HardKore_PurpLe Send a message via MSN to HardKore_PurpLe Send a message via Yahoo to HardKore_PurpLe
i still says that does not mean jack crap if they had permits or not, even if it was all illegal and they ahd no permits, there is no justification for whtu the police did, why they couldnt jsut tell eveyone to go home, why were they coming in like they were in iraq, i mean they was no need for that, and not one officer has said the patrons were pointing guns on them, becuz they i can understand , the police would have just been protecting them selves, there really is no proof that the party goings were anything less then civil.
HardKore_PurpLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #80
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJLeash
apparently they had all the permits they needed, pretty sure it was mentioned here.
that they didn't need the one permit due to the fact that the party did not meet or exceed twelve hours. So hopefully the lawyers as good as they say and they stick it to the man for all of us.
damn the man save the empire.
or
www.myspace.com/djleash
DJLeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #81
the architech
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to the architech
I'd make a post here, but I think I've posted 3 angry posts about this already and I'm all angry posted out.
the architech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #82
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Very enlightening editorial from the Herald out in utah:
Quote:

Friday, August 26, 2005 - 12:00 AM |

In our view: The problem with assumptions

The Daily Herald

No citizen should be subjected to criminal charges for a crime he might commit. This is a fundamental principle in our society: One does not take blame for what might happen, only for violations of the law that he actually commits.

Utah County Sheriff Jim Tracy seems to see things differently.

In an interview with the Daily Herald on Wednesday, he indicated that he believes law enforcement has the authority to assume a violation will be committed, and officers may therefore go straight to writing a citation.

That is what happened Saturday night at an outdoor music concert and dance in Diamond Fork.

The event -- a rave -- was held on private property owned by Trudy Childs. An estimated 300 young adults attended the gathering, which was shut down at 11:30 p.m. by about 90 law enforcement officers in a massive show of force that included helicopters, dogs and assault rifles.

Some plainclothes officers with cell phones had mingled in the crowd and observed illegal drug activity, which has occurred at similar events. That -- combined with law enforcement's allegation that the gathering itself was illegal because proper county permits had not been obtained -- is what triggered the raid. SWAT teams stormed the crowd to make arrests, and many attendees, including the landowner, are now crying foul.

All the facts are not yet in with regard to criminal activity in the crowd. We expect to know more in the coming days. But we do have ample information to evaluate Tracy's claim that Childs had not obtained a necessary permit for the event.

The fact is, Childs did not need a permit.

Tracy protests that she did need one, but we believe he is wrong. Here's why:

A county ordinance specifies exactly the circumstances under which a mass gathering permit must be obtained from the Utah County Commission, and when a permit is not required. No person may host a gathering "of an actual or reasonably anticipated assembly of 250 or more people which continues or can reasonably be expected to continue for 12 or more consecutive hours" unless the host has a license, the ordinance reads.

The electronic beats at the rave began thumping at 9 p.m. Saturday. We cannot know exactly how long the party would have gone if police hadn't hammered down. But we do know a few things. We know, for example, that the promoter's agreement with the sound technicians was to end the show at 6:30 a.m. Sunday, as dawn approached. Privately contracted security personnel confirmed that they, too, were scheduled for that time period.

So the concert was intended for nine-and-a-half hours, well inside the 12-hour limit. It was a business proposition, and that was the deal.

In painting a picture that the gathering violated county public assembly codes, Tracy misrepresents not only the facts in Diamond Fork but distorts the proper role of law enforcement. We hope he understands his limitations as an officer of civil government.

Tracy said that authorities reasonably anticipated a crowd of thousands and expected partygoers to linger to 9 a.m. and beyond. "People are up all night partying hard and have a camping area," he said. "If you've been up since 9 o'clock the night before, we are assuming you're not going to jump right up and get out of there, and will exceed the 12-hour period."

Read that carefully again, with particular attention to "we are assuming." Tracy is saying that the 12-hour ordinance was violated because law enforcement, not the event host, anticipated the gathering would last more than 12 hours. This is an unjustified and even dangerous view.

It is not law enforcement's prerogative to enforce assumptions -- to hand out criminal or civil citations based on what might happen. Accusations must be made on the basis of actual observable acts, not on what a cop thinks will occur in the future.

Let's say a highway patrolman with a radar gun in a 60 mph zone clocks a driver at 59 mph. He cannot ticket that driver on the assumption that the car will soon be going much faster.

In short, the anticipation of a crowd of 250 for 12 hours as specified in the law must belong to the event host. If the host believes that a gathering will not exceed 12 hours, and he ensures that it does not (as was done in the case of the Diamond Fork rave), he is simply not required to obtain a permit.

No citizen of this country is required to impose more law upon himself than is specified by statute. And no county sheriff has a right to impose it, either.

This ordinance is written in the passive voice -- specifying an event "reasonably anticipated ... to continue" for 12 hours. It doesn't say who is to do the anticipating. Apparently Tracy believes it is he himself. But this is an implausible reading of the law. Such an interpretation would make the county sheriff the sole arbiter of which public gatherings require a permit and which do not. Tracy could prohibit anything he wanted, from a political rally to a knit-in or company picnic -- any gathering that is otherwise protected under the First Amendment's guarantee of the "right of the people peaceably to assemble."

Typically, in potentially embarrassing situations, law enforcement seems to reach for every thread of support it can find to justify its actions. It appears to us that Sheriff Tracy is reaching in just this way with arguments about permits for Saturday's rave. The organizers did get the required mass-gathering permits for on-site sanitation, and that's apparently all they really needed.

We understand that law enforcement is a difficult job. We also understand that some crimes were likely committed at the rave. But officers should not attempt to make their tough job easier by playing fast and loose with statutes, or by spinning the meaning of the law in hopes of achieving a favorable public relations effect.

This story appeared in The Daily Herald on page A6.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #83
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
Rock on .. good to see some fair media... and it looks like this kid might just have case ... =)
kylefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:22 AM   #84
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

right on!
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #85
DJ Saiyan
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to DJ Saiyan
dammit chris, i was just about to post that.
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #86
anabolic frolic
Administrator

your 4 days late man.

I don't think there's been much news on this since. They were supposed to have a press conference but I don't think that's happened yet. If they wait much longer this will be old news and no one (media) will care.
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #87
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

true, hopefully someone will keep making noise
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #88
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
I watched the video, but didn't see any evidence of 'police brutality'. I saw some aggressive takedowns, but nothing outside the use of force guidelines.

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Everybodies_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #89
CandyGirl23
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to CandyGirl23 Send a message via MSN to CandyGirl23
^^^there are reports of girls who may now have reproductive issues as a result of being beaten by the police ... i'd say that's outside of guidelines.
CandyGirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #90
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Have these reports been anything more than posts on the internet and hearsay? The amount of credible evidence (photos, hospital reports) is really lacking.
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #91
CandyGirl23
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to CandyGirl23 Send a message via MSN to CandyGirl23
anything i've read has said accounts were being gathered for the formal complaint against the police department by the lawyers, and provided information on how the people could accurately document photos, etc for submission as evidence. I'm still waiting to see what the formal lawsuit will be ... it is incredibly disturbing to me that the police showed up in riot gear to disperse a small peaceful crowd that wasn't breaking the laws they've cited in regards to necessary permits.
CandyGirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:18 AM   #92
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

I never said that nothing happened, I just said that in that video everyone's been flipping out over that there's no evidence of excessive force.

MCED
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:45 PM   #93
heatheraloo
Hullaboarder

In some posts from the utrave site they take the actual frame and then put remarks by it like, "see here, you can clearly see the officers leg getting ready to kick this girl who is on the ground" and maybe its just me, but its really hard to see that. Poor resolution maybe, or Im not sure, slight fabrication even; who knows...its still not right..... but I hope they're saving all the good evidence for the court and leaving the internet out of it. Theres too much hearsay on that site....
heatheraloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 02:32 PM   #94
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

okay, the video was very dim, and extremely poor resolution. I thought that I could however make out a couple knee drops and foot stomps. Hopefully it'll come out better in court. HOPEFULLY someone got some better video footage then the cell phone one we all saw.
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:58 AM   #95
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

A knee in the back and controlling the head is the quickest way to stop resistance to arrest. Especially if you're arresting multiple people, if the others see one struggling, it will cause them to fight back as well. Face in the dirt, knee in the back, verbal warning to stay still, and it sets an example for the rest to follow.

I watched it a few times in detail, and saw nothing excessive.

MCED
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:16 PM   #96
DJ Saiyan
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to DJ Saiyan
^^^

thats not excessive at all. if someone's resisting, thats to be expected.

if they're NOT resisting on the other hand, its totally uncalled for, and most definitely excessive.

they had better have more video and photo evidence than whats been shown on the internet, otherwise they're going to be wasting a lot of money on a lawsuit.
DJ Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 04:13 AM   #97
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Finally got a letter from the dpa about this...

Dear Bob,

Are you a terrorist?

If you're dancing in Utah, the police might treat you like one.

In the latest escalation of the failed war on drugs, 90 law enforcement officers armed with assault weapons, attack dogs and helicopters raided a peaceful and legal dance party on private land outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. Law-abiding citizens were intimidated and harassed. Some people were beaten. The constitution was trampled.

Please watch these harrowing video clips taken during the raid.

And then take action.
click here to help

Learn More

click the link and help by sending a letter to the director of utah tourism.
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #98
anabolic frolic
Administrator

What's happened lately? This sure blew over fast.

I guess at the end of the day no one died, and it was just another rave bust that we've seen a million times elsewhere and those blew over as well.
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #99
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolic frolic
What's happened lately? This sure blew over fast.

I guess at the end of the day no one died, and it was just another rave bust that we've seen a million times elsewhere and those blew over as well.

apparently they're filing a class action suit but i dont know much more about it right now. all i can say is best of luck to everyone involved not only in the utah bust but all ravers.

This guy will be the entire reason I stop lurking here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim
i cant even imagine what goes on inside your head day by day. but whatever it is it must be awesome.
No Typical Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:15 AM   #100
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Hoppapotamus
well, they have a more proffesonal website now:

here it is