User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:43 AM   #1
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Federal Election / Quebec Separatism

Is anyone else worried about Quebec separatism in this election? I'm concerned that the only party that seems to be addressing this issue is The Bloc Quebecois.

The clarity act is a joke, the sponsorship scandal has fueled separatist fury, and yet the only response I see from the federalist parties about the issue is "I love Canada". I'm dismayed that the party with the best platform on other issues, The Liberals, have done the most damage to Canadian unity.

Despite this, I feel that there's an absence of any real alternative. Ironically, I'm hopping for the same type of government that we have now - a Liberal minority government with the NDP holding the balance of power. I'm voting for whoever is more likely to win my riding, Liberal or NDP.

I'm just very disappointed that the issue of Canadian Unity isn't being addressed. We need a "Meech Lake" that actually works.

Comments? Disagreements? What are your issues / concerns?
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 04:28 AM   #2
AznAstronaut
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to AznAstronaut
I wish we had fun and exciting politics (as compared to depressing and boring) down here in the US of A, like whether or not Kansas was going to secede.

(Go ahead, we don't want ya. )
AznAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:06 AM   #3
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

To be honest, I don't like the idea of any state or province seceding. I think most juristicions would make a shift to the right, especially if they had a chance to re-write their bill of rights.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:26 PM   #4
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Quebec and their "protectionist" racist disguised policies for visible minorities and Anglophones can leave Canada. We don't want them.

As for the elections, I would like to see an NDP win, with the Liberal as the opposition. The conservatives need to do a disappearing act.
astralkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:36 PM   #5
basic
Hullaboarder

Location: Lurking in the bushes outside Chef Boyardee's house
Send a message via MSN to basic
Regardless of personal feelings towards wanting them, we do indeed certainly need them.
basic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:44 PM   #6
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
united we stand, divided we fall.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 02:36 AM   #7
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by astralkid
Quebec and their "protectionist" racist disguised policies for visible minorities and Anglophones can leave Canada. We don't want them.

As for the elections, I would like to see an NDP win, with the Liberal as the opposition. The conservatives need to do a disappearing act.

Quebec's protectionist policies to conserve their culture are no different than Canada's protectionist policies to develop 'Canadian culture' outside of American dominated media. Canadian content restrictions are a prime example.

Assimilation through immigration is a reality in Quebec. They have a valuable and distinct cultural identity, and I think they have every right to have that justified in the constitution.

NDP will never win a federal election. Ever. I'm all for increased social programs, like paternity leave, subsidized daycare, and more nurses, but social policy doesn't appeal to the middle class.

Despite my liberal views, I'd like to see a conservative minority government, especially after 12 years of federal liberals have become corrupt. Some time as opposition will clean house, and then in two years when the next election comes, we'll have a good government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolic frolic
united we stand, divided we fall.

Actually, divided we have stood since confederation, and the individuality of the provinces is an asset. The ability to compromise on a grand political level is a uniquely Canadian skill, which the rest of the world is yet to catch on to. The entire concept of Confederation, whether it's the Charter of Rights & Freedoms, or the BNA act relies on the individual governance of the provinces, and general governance at the federal level, and to try and unite everyone would blind us to the other half of the story.

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Everybodies_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 06:24 AM   #8
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

I respect Brian Mulroney and the Progressive Conservatives in the past for attempting Meech Lake and the Charlottetown Accord. Unfortunately, I hate everything about the current Conservatives. They really have dropped the "Progressive" part of their party.

Everything they propose seems to irk me. I disagree with the reopening of the gay marriage debate, reduction of the GST, other miscellaneous tax cuts, etc. Perhaps I'll throw my vote away and go Green in protest. ARgh. I don't know anymore. We'll see how the campaigns unfold.
Old December 4th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #9
Troile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Troile
Talk about divided.

Notwithstanding the fact that this is law we're going to do this anyway.

We still don't have a unified gov't. And good for it.
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:20 AM   #10
anabolic frolic
Administrator

It's unfortunate that the Conservatives are so right wing. If they dropped the social conservatism a lot more people would give them a look, I'm sure. I was just telling Robin I was less scared of them and then later in the day they start talking about revisiting gay marriage. ok! thanks for reminding us!

I feel less strongly about this election than the last though. I think even with a Harper win, nothing would change much unless he got a majority, and that ain't gonna happen.

I'm officially undecided, but that's me making a point of keeping an open mind until much later in the race.
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #11
astralkid
Hullaboarder

^I'm pretty sure a lot would change. For one thing our soldiers would be in Iraq, no doubt.

It is funny what you say, cause I heard him(Harper) talking a couple of hours ago. He was talking about creating more childcare centers, and at first you would think he was running for the NDP leadership.

These politicians sugar coat everything, especially come election time.
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #12
anabolic frolic
Administrator

If the conservative party were ever to get in power, it would be as a minority with 3 left leaning parties sitting across from them. I don't see how they'd be able to breath.
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #13
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Quote:
^I'm pretty sure a lot would change. For one thing our soldiers would be in Iraq, no doubt.

MCED
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:03 AM   #14
astralkid
Hullaboarder

^ Ya, I'm pretty sure it is funny.

Do you even know that Harper wrote a letter of apology to Bush, saying he was sorry the Canadian army was not in the so-called "Coalition of the Willing"?... Ya really funny
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #15
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolic frolic
If the conservative party were ever to get in power, it would be as a minority with 3 left leaning parties sitting across from them. I don't see how they'd be able to breath.

We had a Liberal minority govt, they got a lot of things done before the report. Besides, the Liberals, Bloc or NDP will most certainly not risk bringing ANOTHER govt down, they will have to play along or be seen as just playing politics at the expense of the Canadian people.
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #16
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Ah, I'm not defending the conservatives, and I've never voted for them. But I doubt things would go to shit.
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:33 AM   #17
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

Quote:
^ Ya, I'm pretty sure it is funny.

Do you even know that Harper wrote a letter of apology to Bush, saying he was sorry the Canadian army was not in the so-called "Coalition of the Willing"?... Ya really funny

If the Conservatives had been in power in 2003, we might have been in Iraq. The premiers of Ontario and Alberta personally phoned Bush up to offer their support. I wasn't sure what to believe at times. I'm not sure if the Conservatives were supportive just to put on a show, or if they were really willing to participate and risk a major political mess.

I doubt that people in Quebec would have gone for it, and sending troops there would have probably split the country. After how the situation unfolded, there is no party or person that would be nutty enough to place troops there now.

Our election is always such a mystery because of our "first past the post" system. I wish we had proportional representation. Sure, we'd have more minority governments, but I like that.

Last edited by Snuffy : December 6th, 2005 at 03:03 AM.
Old December 6th, 2005, 08:11 AM   #18
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy

Our election is always such a mystery because of our "first past the post" system. I wish we had proportional representation. Sure, we'd have more minority governments, but I like that.

Yeah, but then we'd have appointed representatives instead of ones accountable to their constituents. I like the german system of half regional, half proportional representatives.

Astralkid - Just wondering where you think Harper is going to find these extra soldiers? Knit them? We've got a regular army of just over 12 000 soldiers, and 2500 are deployed at any one time, which means that 2500 are preparing for the next rotation, and 2500 just returned. That leaves 4500 to train new soldiers, run career courses, and so forth. If we ever sent soldiers to Iraq, it would be a token commitment, and not front line soldiers.

It's a preposterous statement.

MCED
Old December 6th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #19
astralkid
Hullaboarder

If countries like Albania, El Salvador and Mongolia can contribute then I'm sure an industrialized nation like Canada will find a way to contribute to troops. I don't even care if they are only 10 Canadians who might be deployed to Iraq, no Canadian should have to die for Bush and his oil buddies.
Old December 6th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #20
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Well, I have to wonder how much of that is just the opposition doing what the opposition does - take opposite stands on issues to the government. Liberals fought against free trade and the GST when they were in opposition.

I guess if you had a crystal ball and could gaze into an alternate universe where the Conservatives were in power during the call for Iraq to see what might have been, but at this point it's moot.
Old December 6th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #21
Troile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Troile
Quote:
no Canadian should have to die for Bush and his oil buddies.

War/murder/killing is completely wrong.

But as far as the soldiers go...they're selling their right to say no to killing for a nice fat paycheque.

I have more sympathy for impovershed americans who almost have no choice but to join up.
Troile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #22
cyre
Hullanewbie

Send a message via ICQ to cyre Send a message via MSN to cyre
As a Quebecois, it's sure I will vote for the Bloc Quebecois like a high majority in my group age. At the last provincial elections I voted NPD/NDP just to tell you a little bit more about my political views. Great post Everybodies Daddy!

Last edited by cyre : December 8th, 2005 at 10:58 PM.
cyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #23
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Quote:
If countries like Albania, El Salvador and Mongolia can contribute then I'm sure an industrialized nation like Canada will find a way to contribute to troops. I don't even care if they are only 10 Canadians who might be deployed to Iraq, no Canadian should have to die for Bush and his oil buddies.

Yeah, because Albanian, El Salvadorian and Mongolian soldiers are known for their professionalism, and grasp of the 'three block war' scenario. Those countries send token contributions in exchange for arms, equipment and training from the US.

I don't agree with the motives behind the war in Iraq, but if they called for volunteers, I'd give it some serious thought. I know a lot of Canadian soldiers who would jump at the chance to go to war, but that's a whole different can of worms. Many people forget that we already are at war, as the actions outside of Kandahar a couple days ago served to remind us.

On a related note, support our troops! Even if you don't support the 'war on terror' or the politics behind it, show your appreciation for those who are willing to put their lives on the line to defend your interests.

MCED
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #24
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everybodies_Daddy

On a related note, support our troops! Even if you don't support the 'war on terror' or the politics behind it, show your appreciation for those who are willing to put their lives on the line to defend your interests.

Agreed... no matter what your opinion is on the war on terror, supporting the troops is important. I also think an immediate pullout in Iraq / Afghanistan would be a major mistake. The last thing we need is for that area to slip into further anarchy. Things may be bad now, but they could be much worse without any military presence. I totally respect anyone there trying to help rebuild.
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:07 AM   #25
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Support our troops? You know I keep hearing this redneck rhetoric from the Americans, but please educate me to exactly what this entails?

"also think an immediate pullout in Iraq / Afghanistan would be a major mistake. The last thing we need is for that area to slip into further anarchy."

-The Iraq war is an illegal war. Bush attacked Iraq without UN approval and now we know that there were no WMDS and some data was manipulated to justify the war. Anarchy? What do you think is happening now? There are daily suicide bombings, kidnappings...

You know what? The US WILL lose this war like Vietnam but it is people like you who have this "let us stay the course" attitude who will make sure a lot of young soldiers won't even have the opportunity to get to experience things like marriage/ having kids/ raising a family. Also, a lot of soldiers are dying and leaving families behind. For what? An amoral and illegal war. Seriously man, reflect on what you are saying.

Last edited by astralkid : December 9th, 2005 at 03:10 AM.