Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old November 28th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #26
Psychick
Hullaboarder

Photos: 5  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Psychick
Right back at you, doll.

Let's tie firefighters' shoes together on our lunch break, and poison some security guards. Rage against the machine, man!

I beat the internet....the end guy was hard

Psychick & J-Karlos & Termeric | The Cyber Lepers of the Future

anyone who's anyone knows who deek is ... you're all internet stars
Psychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #27
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
/T-REX starts playing in the background...
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #28
peachfuzz
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to peachfuzz Send a message via Yahoo to peachfuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychick
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if "90%" were not the correct number. I just basically invented it on the spot. But I still don't believe that most pseudo-activist young people put any thought into their feelings on the functionalist role of police in society. Nonconformity is meaningless when you don't even know what it is you believe in; when the rebellious phrases are just something that you chant because some musicians put them to a good beat, and they get a rise out of adults. I wouldn't even call those people nonconformist, they're just conformist in a more irritating manner.

So it's not really that conformity is the new nonconformity. It's that a lot of the people that are considered to be nonconformists are just awkward young people who don't even bother to think critically for themselves yet.

90%? you're being a little to gracious. i'd say it would be somewhere in the high 90's.
peachfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #29
Psychick
Hullaboarder

I'm nothing if not overly gracious
Old November 28th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #30
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
lol... another foiled attempt at astralkid pointing his finger at somenone and crying "prejudice"
Old November 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #31
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Quote:
Originally Posted by limey
lol... another foiled attempt at astralkid pointing his finger at somenone and crying "prejudice"

What are you talking about? We are having a civil discusion mainly focused on youth resiliency/ culture with a sidenote on the role of the police and state. This is just a change of ideas/ theories/ believes.

This a forum that I try to post now reguarly, and respond to many issues.

Either add to the discussion, or do not say anything at all.

Last edited by astralkid : November 28th, 2006 at 04:58 PM.
astralkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #32
limey
Hullaboarder

Okay so answer me this:

What is the difference between a general statement and sweeping generalizations?

It seems apparent you think one is considered fallacious, while the other is in propper form since you did after all admit thats what your initial response to Jenn was. This kind of spin can be either chalked up as: Either you had a change of heart with regards to your feelings on generalizations somewhere between November 26th, 2006, 06:47 PM and November 27th, 2006, 06:40 PM or you were trying to attack Jenn by applying a double standard.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #33
astralkid
Hullaboarder

I wrote, "Yeah,cause conformity is the new nonconformity to draw attention to this fallacious quote:
Quote:
I'm just so sick of hearing bad-ass, rebel-rebel teens going on about how all police are pigs and "Fuck The Man" and "Yeah Anarchy"

Like I said it was a general statement in response to a general observation on youth resiliency( I admit it). I was trying to show the hypocrisy of such a statement by making a general statement. Not all, "rebel-rebel teens going on about how all police are pigs and "Fuck The Man" and "Yeah Anarchy"

Will write more on the topic we were discussing before when I have time

Last edited by astralkid : November 28th, 2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old November 28th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #34
Psychick
Hullaboarder

It wasn't even a general statement :P

I didn't say that all rebellious teens take that stance, or do so blindly. I just said that the ones that do, annoy the shit out of me. Are you honestly trying to say that there are not idiot teens out there that parrot those phrases and wear anarchy t-shirts without giving a second thought to, well, anything?
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #35
limey
Hullaboarder

No, what you said wasnt a general statement with some higher purpose. It was a lame attempt at sattire. You even quoted the wrong part of her post to back up this ellusive point youre trying to make.

Stating that youth latch on to rebel causes isnt a hypocracy, its a fact. Does anyone remember why Fred Durst was so pissed off? No. But the masses bought millions of his albums because he had the rebel "fuck the man" attitude. Heres another example: Britney Spears and Paris Hilton, theres something liberating in the appeal of being a big skank against your parents will... hence why theres so many more prostitots than there were 10 years ago. The Anticonformity trend is here for the time being, so taking issue with the reality of the situation just for the sake of it is no different than saying "haha, fucking pig should have been g'd" ...at least to a certain extent.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #36
Weaver
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Quote:
It wasn't even a general statement :P

I didn't say that all rebellious teens take that stance, or do so blindly. I just said that the ones that do, annoy the shit out of me. Are you honestly trying to say that there are not idiot teens out there that parrot those phrases and wear anarchy t-shirts without giving a second thought to, well, anything?

He's agreeing with you.
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #37
Psychick
Hullaboarder

No way, dude. Astralkid NEVER agrees with me
Old November 29th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #38
hugsy
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Anyone who thinks this is funny needs to grow the fuck up.

1) being a police officer doesn't make you a bad person
2) being anti-establishment doesn't make you cool. unless you have something real to say it just makes you look stupid.
3) drugging anyone with anything against their will is wrong. this isn't a matter of opinion it is a matter of fact.
Old November 29th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #39
hugsy
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
They should've just hid a tab of acid in the shredded lettuce. That would have been way more potent, hard to detect, and funny. Goofs.

What the fuck is wrong with you? You think that would be funny? Please, for the sake of all humanity, have yourself sterilized.
hugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #40
Psychick
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugsy
Anyone who thinks this is funny needs to grow the fuck up.

1) being a police officer doesn't make you a bad person
2) being anti-establishment doesn't make you cool. unless you have something real to say it just makes you look stupid.
3) drugging anyone with anything against their will is wrong. this isn't a matter of opinion it is a matter of fact.

You said this a lot more succintly than I did. I should have you edit my posts
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #41
Glyce
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 8 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to Glyce Send a message via MSN to Glyce
Okay, I'm still gonna think it's funny, and I'll keep growing up, I've got quite a bit of it to do. Drugging someone with weed against their will in their bloody burgers isn't gonna make 'em go insane like doseing someone would. It just get's you high. Jesus Christ. And yea, I totally agree with how stupid the rebellious thing is, I personally wouldn't do it. But jeeze. It's pot. Obviously they didn't load a whole freakin' 8th into each burger. If the cops didn't' notice it was there in the first place, it probably didn't get them that high.

But I have every reason to find this humorous. Especially 'cause if they hadn't noticed they probably would've bought more food
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #42
hugsy
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyce
Okay, I'm still gonna think it's funny, and I'll keep growing up, I've got quite a bit of it to do. Drugging someone with weed against their will in their bloody burgers isn't gonna make 'em go insane like doseing someone would.

I didn't say it would make them insane. I said it was wrong - which it is.
Quote:
It just get's you high. Jesus Christ. And yea, I totally agree with how stupid the rebellious thing is, I personally wouldn't do it. But jeeze. It's pot.

Can you please explain to us what, specifically, is funny about drugging someone? Do you think child molestation is funny too?

"Jeeze all I did was touch his bum! It's not gonna make him insane or anything!"
hugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #43
weava
Friendship Crew

Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to weava Send a message via MSN to weava Send a message via Yahoo to weava
Are you seriously taking this thread THIS seriously.

It was posted as a humorous article.

Yea go ahead, prosecute the kids who did it.

Was it wrong? Yes.
Was it illegal? Yes.

Was it still funny? IMO yes.

Was it funny because it was cops? No, its funny that someone ate some pot and felt the need to go to the hospital.
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #44
weava
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to weava Send a message via MSN to weava Send a message via Yahoo to weava
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugsy

Can you please explain to us what, specifically, is funny about drugging someone? Do you think child molestation is funny too?

"Jeeze all I did was touch his bum! It's not gonna make him insane or anything!"

Good comparison.

Weed = Child Molestation.

Right.
weava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #45
Psychick
Hullaboarder

It's not that weed = molestation, it's that drugging someone is also a form of assault, which a lot of people "familiar" with drugs seem to overlook. To a recreational drug user, being drugged with pot may not seem like a big deal, but it IS a violation, and may very well be frightening to a non-user.

I wouldn't have made the same comparison, but I see where he is coming from.
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #46
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Quote:
You even quoted the wrong part of her post to back up this ellusive point youre trying to make.

Get out of my head! So, you even knew what post I wanted to quote to emphasis my point? Lovely.
Quote:
Stating that youth latch on to rebel causes isn’t hypocrisy, it’s a fact. Does anyone remember why Fred Durst was so pissed off? No. But the masses bought millions of his albums because he had the rebel "fuck the man" attitude. Heres another example: Britney Spears and Paris Hilton, theres something liberating in the appeal of being a big skank against your parents will...

We are not discussing the same thing. I am in no way defending teen angst, who are spoon- fed and find themselves in a culture that pampers to their every need.
Quote:
Nonconformity is meaningless when you don't even know what it is you believe in; when the rebellious phrases are just something that you chant because some musicians put them to a good beat, and they get a rise out of adults. I wouldn't even call those people nonconformist, they're just conformist in a more irritating manner.

1) In social movements, not everyone has the same level of dedication to the cause

2) You are offering a bleak and a conservative outlook on youth involvement in society, when you write, "I would wager 90% of the 'Down with the Establishment'-'Fuck the Police' youth "activists" haven't actually put any thought into their personal politics above memorizing punk lyrics and learning to spell "anarchy.” Although, I do agree with you that some people do not put some thoughts into certain political stance they adopt (See South Park episode 902 for a comical outlook on said topic).
Quote:
No way, dude. Astralkid NEVER agrees with me

Actually, I do like some of your posts and enjoy the dualistic position you take on some issues.
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #47
Psychick
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralkid

2) You are offering a bleak and a conservative outlook on youth involvement in society, when you write, "I would wager 90% of the 'Down with the Establishment'-'Fuck the Police' youth "activists" haven't actually put any thought into their personal politics above memorizing punk lyrics and learning to spell "anarchy.” Although, I do agree with you that some people do not put some thoughts into certain political stance they adopt (See South Park episode 902 for a comical outlook on said topic).

Actually, I do like some of your posts and enjoy the dualistic position you take on some issues.

When I say youth "activists", I'm not talking about young people that actually read about the issues they claim to care about. I'm not talking about the ones that donate money, or organize events, or even just think critically about why things are the way things are. Those people are well on their way to being interesting and productive human beings, and I commend them.

I'm talking about the ones that just follow things blindly. The ones that do it just because they think it's trendy, or they like pissing off the "norms". I know that these people exist, because I went to high school with them. They are the same people who grow up and still don't bother to educate themselves about issues or to think critically about, well, anything.
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #48
Glyce
Hullaboarder

Yeah, I guess it could be kinda worrisome if you had no idea, I do see that. But honestly, I'd rather people be fucking around with pot than anything else. And believe me, the anything else happens all the fucking time to people who might not seem as important to our world as cops, but certainly are, and they come out of it a lot more for the worse. Besides, no one is saying they shouldn't be punished or anything, but by the same token, half of what's so funny is how superfluous the measures they took were after finding out they'd eaten pot.

By the way, I'm gonna repeat it, because I thought it wasn't very well thought out myself, child molestation, and drugging someone with pot, are in two very different worlds. Bad comparison.

And I'd like to reiterate this, because I think it may've been skipped over, considering you actually posted a serious reply to the whole acid thing... It's a funny idea, none of us would actually do that. Get over it. It's the whole, haha, this'd be kinda funny, but we all know that if it actually happened it'd be pretty fucked up. It's a certain sense of humor that I'm not sure you share. (Hugsy)
Glyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #49
Glyce
Hullaboarder

Alright, I just thought about something. I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, and I'm expecting to get shit for saying it. But this is what I'm thinkin.

If you were chillin at a house party, and someone spiked the punch, would you be very pissed off? If they did it right of course, and you didn't taste it, and had no idea until you felt a little tipsy, how pissed off would you be? In reality, you'd probably be a little upset, as the punch wasn't what you were expecting, but oh well, it's just alcohol. Right? Well, pot is A) healthier B) doesn't skew your judgment half as much as alcohol, and is way more mellow. You'd come to the same conclusions. I probably shouldn't drive until I feel alright, I need to sit back and chill. Maybe I should eat something to help wear it off, or drink some water to help get it out of my system/sweat it out.

But still, you'd probably be less offended. Why? Who the hell knows. Just a random thought, and a decent comparison. As GHB is also in a whole nother category (see: Date Rape), and anything else actually fucks you up.

Eating a little bit of pot might make you kind of high, but it certainly doesn't impare your judgment for more than 3 hours (given the amount they probably ate, as this amount wasn't given). And it technically, if you are a REGULAR smoker, takes a month to get it out of your system. If you smoke a bowl over the weekend, and you drink as much water as you should be doing daily anyway, it should be out of your system anywhere (depending on your body) between 3 to 6 days.

I dunno. Random thought. Keeping this exciting.
Glyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #50
weava
Friendship Crew

Quote:
It's not that weed = molestation, it's that drugging someone is also a form of assault, which a lot of people "familiar" with drugs seem to overlook. To a recreational drug user, being drugged with pot may not seem like a big deal, but it IS a violation, and may very well be frightening to a non-user.

I wouldn't have made the same comparison, but I see where he is coming from.

I do too, but I just had to say something about that... cause that comparison was just a bit much.
weava is offline   Reply With Quote