The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Hullabaloo 10th Anniversary Weekend Celebration
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:28 PM   #126
Minkis
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Minkis Send a message via MSN to Minkis Send a message via Yahoo to Minkis
and for a little birthing humor
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pc5iTiPVhCg
i tried to find the other one, but i couldnt...
Minkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:37 PM   #127
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppapotamus
I love that Robin has such a thirst for this sort of knowledge. I don't know much about babies and birth, as I don't plan to have any children, but some of my favorite topics to study are human sexuality, sex psychology, and reproduction.

LOL, I was the only kid in high school who got a grade higher than 100% in sex ed class. (What can I say - I knew the answers to the extra credit questions as well as the regular stuff.) It was funny because my sister was in college at the time when I was in freshman year high school, and I'd read her college-level Human Sexuality textbook, so I knew all the answers to the questions they were asking in my class. But then I sort of became regarded as the person to go to to ask sex questions. Although I wasn't always honest with my answers; I told a friend who frequently gave condom-less BJs that she could get pregnant by swallowing, because I'd hoped it would make her use condoms more often. (She wasn't scared of STDs because they didn't seem real to her, but she knew other girls who had gotten pregnant, so that thought did have some fear.) Unfortunately, it didn't make her change her ways. And she ended up having two unexpected kids by the time she was 19, anyway.
Robin Frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:06 PM   #128
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Hoppapotamus
Hehe, the amount of my old friends from high school that have had unexpected children is pretty sad. Not being scared of STD's I'll never understand. A google image search for syphilis scares the crap out of me.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:30 PM   #129
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

It's weird because in my neighborhood, nobody has kids before they're in their 30's or 40's - the other moms around here often think I'm my son's nanny or babysitter. (I try not to be annoyed; even though Chris and I had been together for six years by the time we decided to start a family, they wouldn't have any way of knowing that simply by looking at me, and it's unusual in my area for a 24-year-old to have a baby. So I can't blame them too much.) And then I go home to visit (I lived in a suburb of Los Angeles while growing up) and almost all the people I knew from high school have at least one kid, and sometimes two or three, by age 24. o_O It's like stepping into an alternate universe.

Edit: I'm 27 now, not 24. I was referring to how the situation was a few years back.
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #130
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Hoppapotamus
Sadly, I don't doubt it. It's much easier for me to count old friends who don't have children than do. (As you know) Having children is a huge decision, and shrugging it off like it's no big deal really bothers me.
Hoppapotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #131
Minkis
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Minkis Send a message via MSN to Minkis Send a message via Yahoo to Minkis
ive changed high schools a couple times, and when i found a group of my old high school friends online, i was just surprised at how many were married, had kids, etc.
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #132
Kandifox
Hulla Legacy Member

Send a message via AIM to Kandifox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Frolic
It should be, yes. Unfortunately, 25-30% of babies in North America are now delivered via c-section. Many of those cesareans occur as a direct result of complications caused by routine hospital interventions. You go into a hospital to have a baby, you have a 1 in 4 chance of having major abdominal surgery.

For the record, the World Health Organization says the cesarean rate should NEVER be above 10-15%. And a good midwife often has a cesarean-transfer rate of 5%. So it shows pretty clearly that most cesareans are complete bullshit, and/or are caused by standard hospital practice.

This used to upset me, but I don't really care that much anymore. I think, "You bought it, you own it." If you choose to have a surgeon (obstetricians are surgeons) for your caregiver, and you choose to give birth in a place where you know the chance is 1 in 4 you will get cut, then that's your own choice.

Yes, both for that pregnancy and for future pregnancies. Cesarean birth is four times more dangerous than vaginal birth, and chances of uterine rupture (literally, the uterus splitting open, which is a life-threatening condition) is doubled for future pregnancies. Risk of placenta previa (placenta covering the cervix, requiring repeat cesarean) is four times as high in future pregnancies, secondary infertility can be a serious problem, and placental abruption (where the placenta detaches from the uterus, which is also life-threatening for the baby and also can be for the mother due to hemorrhage) is almost doubled in risk for future pregnancies. Rates of babies getting accidentally cut with the scalpel during cesarean deliveries can be as high as 15%, and I'm not even going to address the significantly increased risk of breathing difficulties for the newborn post-birth. And this isn't addressing the risks of epidural anesthesia (always used for cesarean births unless it's an emergency, in which case general anesthetic is sometimes used, and that's even riskier) or the narcotics post-birth. And don't forget significantly longer recovery time after the birth, long-term nerve and muscle damage, uterine scarring, increased rates of difficulty establishing breastfeeding, difficulty caring for the newborn due to pain, etc.

That's just a very short list of why cesareans are a terrible idea except in emergencies, and why it's a terrible idea to have so many hospital procedures that increase the risk of causing an emergency. (Going into more detail about hospital procedures causing emergencies would be a long post all by itself, but if anyone's interested, I'm more than happy to do so.)

HOLY CRAP Robin.....
You know your stuff O.O
Kandifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #133
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppapotamus
Having children is a huge decision, and shrugging it off like it's no big deal really bothers me.

I couldn't agree with you more. People who seem to think it's similar to, say, getting a cat drive me insane.
Old August 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #134
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandifox
HOLY CRAP Robin.....
You know your stuff O.O

I worked in the birth industry for years, and I trained to be a midwife. I ended up not going into practicing midwifery because I had serious ethical concerns about the things that licensed midwives are forced to do in this province, and operating as an unlicensed midwife opens you up to prosecution. And I ended up migrating towards unassisted birth (which is birthing without a medical professional in attendance) so, like most people into unassisted birth, I continue to take researching all matters pregnancy-and-birth-related very seriously.

There's an awful lot of misinformation and fear out there about pregnancy and birth, and the only thing that will ever combat that is education. That's why, even though I get tired of saying the same things over and over, I continue to say them because they may make a difference to somebody who reads it.
Old August 4th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #135
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more. People who seem to think it's similar to, say, getting a cat drive me insane.
no.. you get the cat to entertain the kid so you don't have to.

(im going to get flamed for this)

** New - Dj Tranzit - This Is Why I'm Hot - 60 min hardcore fuckery ***
DJ Tranzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #136
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

Yeah, until the first time the cat decides he's sick of being the entertainer and scratches the kid to shreds. (Why yes, there *have* been cat/Gavin altercations...)
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #137
XxLuVBuGxX
Hulla Legacy Member

Send a message via AIM to XxLuVBuGxX Send a message via MSN to XxLuVBuGxX Send a message via Yahoo to XxLuVBuGxX
Oh My! 0_0
XxLuVBuGxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #138
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

Meh. Gavin brings it on himself. If he gets nipped by the dog or scratched by the cats, we blame him, not the animals; he's the one trying to steamroll a sleeping pug or grab the cat by the tail. Eventually he'll learn not to do that. (Of course, then he's all butthurt that we don't give him sympathy after he's gotten himself injured by harassing the animals.)
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #139
XxLuVBuGxX
Hulla Legacy Member

Send a message via AIM to XxLuVBuGxX Send a message via MSN to XxLuVBuGxX Send a message via Yahoo to XxLuVBuGxX
wow..pmsl
wait did you say steamroll a sleeping pug?! 0_0
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #140
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

And in a return of the thread to the original intent, I'm going to post a picture I found a few days ago of Frolic and I back in 1998.

Aw, we look so little.
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #141
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLuVBuGxX
wait did you say steamroll a sleeping pug?! 0_0

Yeah, Gavin lies down next to Foo (while Foo is peacefully asleep) and then tries to roll over him. Foo is, needless to say, not impressed.
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #142
XxLuVBuGxX
Hulla Legacy Member

Quote:
And in a return of the thread to the original intent, I'm going to post a picture I found a few days ago of Frolic and I back in 1998.

Aw, we look so little.
aww so cute!
in 1998, i was 6-7 years old. xD

Quote:
Yeah, Gavin lies down next to Foo (while Foo is peacefully asleep) and then tries to roll over him. Foo is, needless to say, not impressed.
oh man i can only laugh at the image i see in my head of this..xD
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #143
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLuVBuGxX
aww so cute!
in 1998, i was 6-7 years old. xD
*feels old*

In 1998 I was 18 and Chris was 24.
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #144
Minkis
Hullaboarder

i see some ass-grabbage there!
Old August 4th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #145
XxLuVBuGxX
Hulla Legacy Member

ha ha,
aww minkis do you want frolic to grab your bum?
Old August 4th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #146
XxLuVBuGxX
Hulla Legacy Member

Quote:
*feels old*

In 1998 I was 18 and Chris was 24.
frolic doesn't look 24....
he look more 20
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #147
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

He always looked young. When I was 17, we actually told my mother that he was 20, because we knew she'd never let me see him if she knew he was really 23. It wasn't until years later that we told her the truth.
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #148
XxLuVBuGxX
Hulla Legacy Member

ha ha,
so chris like chocolate milk? xD