User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:59 AM   #1
c3blue
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to c3blue
Thumbs down Border Patrol Using Google

Here is the article, reproduced from Wired Magazine Issue 15.10. Link at bottom of page.

The New Weapon in the Border Guard Arsenal: the Dreaded Google Search

A Canadian psychotherapist named Andrew Feldmár was barred from the US last year after a border guard discovered he'd written an article about his experience taking LSD in the 1960s. In February, University of Minnesota historian Taner Akçam was detained for hours at the same border — by the Canadians — because Wikipedia described him (inaccurately) as a terrorist. The US government has at least four standard databases to check out wannabe visitors, but none of them contained the derogatory intel on Feldmár. He was damned by Google. It turns out that border officers are allowed to use what they call "open source information" — meaning any and all traces of you online, from Facebook and Flickr to flame wars. Although search engines aren't the first line of border defense (most computers in those little booths don't have Net connections), it's another story at "secondary processing": Get pulled out of line, and you might get Googled. Used to be, the scariest thing you could hear in an interrogation room was the sound of a guard putting on a rubber glove; now it's the quiet click of a mouse on the I'm Feeling Lucky button.

So, what I understand this to mean is that, theoretically speaking of course, I could be crossing the border from USA to Canada or wherever and the border guy thinks I look suspicious with my Blue and Purple hair and one carryon and what not. He searches me on Google/MySpace/Wherever and sees my name in "rave" culture websites and my MySpace and something maybe Erowid/Lycium and whatever other "illicit/counter-culture" websites I may have posted or been connected to. The authorities could them decide to detain me and give me a hard time or just deny entry into a country or god only knows what else.

Now, I'm sure they say it's to fight terrorism and what not. Bullshit. A professor that posted an article in the 60's is not a terrorist.

What they're beginning to do is an attempt to destroy the various "sidicious (sp?) underground mostly young, mostly liberal groups/movements" that can span nations and even continents and originated within or now depend upon the Internet. They're making it dangerous to have any electronic affiliation with them and thus disband them and scatter them to the wind.
(Maybe that last paragraph was a little much)

Big Brother is watching.

Link to article on Wired.Com:
http://www.wired.com/politics/secur...15-10/st_google

RAVE ON!!!

Last edited by c3blue : October 2nd, 2007 at 04:08 AM.
c3blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:00 AM   #2
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
just dont do/carry/sell/buy drugs and you have nothing to worry about why does no one realize this

This guy will be the entire reason I stop lurking here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim
i cant even imagine what goes on inside your head day by day. but whatever it is it must be awesome.
No Typical Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:41 AM   #3
mintjellie
Hullaboarder

Photos: 6  Users Photo Gallery
so having the most common surname in the English language and the seventh most popular given name for a male is potentially advantageous?
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM   #4
Mr Skittles
Friendship Crew

Photos: 7  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mr Skittles Send a message via MSN to Mr Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Skittles
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Typical Raver
just dont do/carry/sell/buy drugs and you have nothing to worry about why does no one realize this

People always have a difficult time believing what is real, as well as what to do. Just keep your nose clean, and don't be stupid. I'm not sure as to why that is such a difficult task to accomplish for most.

Lucky Star Travel

"A movin groove with a massive plan"

TOP FLIGHT MUTHA-F*CKIN SECURITY
Mr Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:42 AM   #5
CandyGirl23
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to CandyGirl23 Send a message via MSN to CandyGirl23
You can avoid using your full name wherever possible on the internet. If you have personal profiles out there, like on myspace or facebook, make them private. If you have a personal website keep it clean and avoid all mention of illegal activities. Many employers use Google too.
CandyGirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 02:11 PM   #6
happy1
Hullaboarder

in a situation like the terminator movies, except its people using computers against other people, the information war has begun.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM   #7
Pompiidou
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Pompiidou
Angry

that is scary as hell. keeping your nose clean is all fine and well but using this type of technology to keep you from traveling is bullshit. they dont wan tyou to leave your country....definetely big brother at its finest and it really creeps me out. its like the chips that their beginning to put in our passports and using them inder human beings skin to keep us tracked. and there are ppl out there willing to do these things because theyre feeding us bullshit about how its good for us... WE FIGHTING TERRORISM. ok! count me out
Pompiidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:29 PM   #8
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
lol wow yeah we're totally living under a Nazi regime here in the U.S. they wont even let us use the interne....oh wait. well they're censoring our blo.....nevermind. THEY'RE KILLING ANYONE WHO SPEAKS OUT AGAINST THEIR GOVERNM....shit, they're not doing that either.

what do any of you have to worry about? if you're doing illegal things, these are your consequences and you deserve every bit of hassle you get.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:37 PM   #9
Pompiidou
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Pompiidou
eat bullshit, much?
Pompiidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM   #10
Mr Skittles
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to Mr Skittles Send a message via MSN to Mr Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Skittles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyGirl23
You can avoid using your full name wherever possible on the internet. If you have personal profiles out there, like on myspace or facebook, make them private. If you have a personal website keep it clean and avoid all mention of illegal activities. Many employers use Google too.

who cares if you have your name on myspace or facebook? just dont advertise what you do in your personal life
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM   #11
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompiidou
eat bullshit, much?

i'm not the one who's going to have problems crossing borders
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM   #12
CandyGirl23
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to CandyGirl23 Send a message via MSN to CandyGirl23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles17
who cares if you have your name on myspace or facebook? just dont advertise what you do in your personal life

If you're worried about people looking you up, as the person who created this thread clearly is, that's the easiest way to avoid it. and also why i mentioned that if you have a personal profile to just keep it private for your friends to see. But I guess I wasn't clear enough and deserved a rude comment in return.
CandyGirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:26 PM   #13
neverlandgurl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 18  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 10 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to neverlandgurl Send a message via Yahoo to neverlandgurl
lol the only thing that you will find if you look up my name is a lotta vagina...and it's not mine

striking inspiration into the hearts of others: http://www.hattrixx.co.uk
neverlandgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM   #14
Mr Skittles
Friendship Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverlandgurl
lol the only thing that you will find if you look up my name is a lotta vagina...and it's not mine

just a hairy one
Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM   #15
evrbrite
Hullaboarder

Quote:
lol wow yeah we're totally living under a Nazi regime here in the U.S.

I'd agree with this part of your statement. Your constitution has been murdered the last 6 years.
If I stop and ask someone "What is a psychedelic?"...they know in their heart it's something that turns you on and gets your brain and mind in a very interesting place- sometimes an uncomfortable place, but a very creative place.

-Sasha Shulgin
evrbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:14 PM   #16
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

how so?
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #17
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJLeash
While I agree that the u.s. govt. is pretty lame and shady. I don't blame them for using google. Why not? Its a public resource. If they were putting the haxxorz on your pc to find out what kind of stuff you have going on then I think it would be quite more fucked up and then you can compare it to the nazis. Really if you're not on, using or in possession of illegal items you shouldn't really have anything to worry about. Remember what goes on the web stays on the web. Its all pretty public. If you don't want authorities finding out about it, don't post it.
or
www.myspace.com/djleash
DJLeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #18
weava
Friendship Crew

Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to weava Send a message via MSN to weava Send a message via Yahoo to weava
Quote:

what do any of you have to worry about? if you're doing illegal things, these are your consequences and you deserve every bit of hassle you get.

Doing drugs should have no bearing on your ability to travel freely. ESPECIALLY when you didn't get caught with them, someone just happened to read on your myspace that you smoke.

Just because I smoke pot, doesn't mean im stupid enough to try to sneak it across the border. Being a drug user doesn't make you an evil, dangerous person either.
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #19
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

see, you put it in terms of "doing drugs" i'm trying to put it in terms of "breaking the law" which, by doing drugs, you are doing.

this isn't about your bullshit hippie "WEED COMES FROM NATURE MAAAAAAAAAAAN" ideals or NORML meetings, its about what is currently law and the fact that if you are knowingly breaking said laws and should accept consequences for your actions if you feel the need to brag about it on your myspace and yell "LOL 4:20 SMOEK WEED EVERYDAY"
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #20
PapaSmurff
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
I have to agree with No Typical on this one. No matter what or how we feel about issues like drugs and immigration etc. the fact is the law is the law and we know about it, so if were posting things on the net then were just telling everyone that were breaking the law
PapaSmurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #21
weava
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to weava Send a message via MSN to weava Send a message via Yahoo to weava
My point is, what does doing drugs have to do with crossing the border.

I go to canada to go to events at which I spend money on food, gas, hotels, etc...

I never smuggled drugs in or out of the country nor do I plan to. So why should I not be allowed to leave my country because of something I may have SAID ONLINE, and not even been convicted of, especially because the crime is irrelevant to traveling.
weava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #22
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

they're just taking precautions.

my point is, again, its more to do with breaking the law than the drugs themselves.
Old October 5th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #23
happy1
Hullaboarder

no theyre not, its just a damn excuse for a big power trip
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #24
weava
Friendship Crew

And my point is, once again, that drugs have nothing to do with traveling.

You want a different example? What if I said on my myspace page in a blog that I stole something from a convenience store? Would you say that because I "broke the law" and they found out about it, that I shouldn't be allowed to cross the border?

My point has nothing to do with the drugs part that you keep focusing on. My point is that minor crimes, especially ones you haven't been convicted of, should have no bearing on your ability to cross the border.
weava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #25
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava

You want a different example? What if I said on my myspace page in a blog that I stole something from a convenience store? Would you say that because I "broke the law" and they found out about it, that I shouldn't be allowed to cross the border?

yes, because you are a criminal and not to be trusted with the basic human rights that the rest of us have.

small crimes lead to bigger crimes in many cases.