The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old December 26th, 2002, 02:45 PM   #26
shuko_x
Hullaboarder

Ive only been going to parties for about a year now and i like em anywayz i can get em. I haven't met alot of people like i hoped to but hey thats ok i only really go to dance my ass off. Cuz when it comes down to it, its all about the music anyways. As far as im concerned let the "e-tards" move on to other things. Cuz the last parties i was at there was rarely if ever an overdose. So its not all that bad, as people are going on about. At least its not like the UK where even the magazines like Mixmag have even a section on drugs (which ones to take etc..). As long as the hardcore stays fresh ill keep comin
Old December 27th, 2002, 07:29 AM   #27
Move~Your~Stuff
Banned

Shuko- Id like to point out that in the UK. it being a "trafficking" country. Drugs have a big influence on the seen and young people.

The magazine talks about drugs and parephenalia becaus eint he UK it is not necesarily bad to dose as long as you still mean to have a good time.

Mix mag I dont like

Bizarre

Now
that
is
a
magazine.
Move~Your~Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #28
Oranges
Hullaboarder

What we must all remember is that everything has a life cycle.

Something is introduced (First underground parties)
It begin growth (people and media become interested)
It Matures (It becomes mainstream)
It declines (people move on but never forget)

the thing with music though, is that in never trully declines there will always be someone that wants to hear a certain sound. If you take a look at the UK, which trends and patterns we are following, the rave scene slowly moves into the clubs. this is exactly what's happening in Toronto. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, yes more non-ravers can attend and find out about them. But think of all of the good things that have come from this: emergency crews, running water, bathrooms, a venue you can find without driving half way across the province. Yes they are more mainsteam but you have to take the good with the bad. The UK is turning out some of the best DJ's we've ever seen, why? Because it is something that is pop culture over there and everyone spins as a past time. I think we should hope that the same happens here. Wouldn't you want to be able to go out every weekend and KNOW that you are going to hear amazing artists like LAB4 or Captain Tinrib or Weirdo?

Yes the scene is changing but nothing ever remains the same, and if it did we would all get bored of it and move on to something else anyway.

So in my opinion the scene isn't dead and it never will be, unless we stop it from changing and get bored.
Old January 12th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #29
Commander Keen
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Commander Keen
grin...

anyone ever try comparing the rave scene with disco?
the two have some striking similarities..

The disco scene was elitist and sorta underground.. and they had their own style of muzak. They were connected with drugs.. and they were frowned upon by the establishment.

Shrug, I've been partying for almost 3 years, and I have noticed a definate change. I guess you can say that I got into the scene right when the shit hit the fan and the cops went apeshit with crackdowns. Since then a lot of the larger companies, Liquid Adrenaline, Big Bud (recently), and Dose aren't around anymore, and the companies that are still around are a lot smaller (Hulla and Destiny).

I've also noticed that smaller parties have grown a bit more popular, and that it's easier to have smaller parties than huge 3 rooms parties.

What does this all mean? I'm not entirely sure, probably that the big parties have had their hayday. If you want to see the huge Dj's you'll probably hafta go to the clubs. Smaller parties are gonna sustain the scene for now with the occasional "big" party now and then...

As for the people in the scene, you still have your newbies, your elitists and your various cliques. A lot of the older partiers have moved on to other things which is probably why the scene is smaller. The scene will still be around for a few years at least.
Commander Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2003, 01:51 AM   #30
MadChemist
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MadChemist
Mmmmm...

I hope the next big fad is smaller more intimate parties in the outdoors. Esp. in places of great natural beauty.

I hear about these ridiculous parties in Goa where the generators are lugged out to the middle of jungle / mountains / forest glades. And expat hippies and backpackers dance the day and night away :-)

sounds blissful

MadChemist
MadChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2003, 02:04 AM   #31
shuko_x
Hullaboarder

well u also have to look at the music in general. Since the mainstream fad (in terms of dance) is trance and drum and bass. The need to hype up these styles as "underground" sounds is no longer needed because unless its a really "hard" style of those genres and different to the point that the only ones that will really get into are the open minded ravers. You'll go to a club and hear the regulars play new tracks each and every week.

The only promoter i can see not dying period is Hullabaloo. And the reason for that is simple. Hulla = Hardcore. Hardcore will always remain underground because of the speed and hardness of that style of music. Trance, jungle, breaks and house were from the start ..easily predictable to be a member of the "mainstream" community. Mainly because the sound isn't too harsh or hard or edgy to the point that u really need an open mind to appreaciate it. But there will always be a group of people (usually young ones) who apprieciate and love Hardcore in TO. Mainly because its the ultimate alternative to pussy dance music hence why its called "punk" dance music.

So really if u wanna say that the rave fad is done...well on a big note yes. But on a full note...hell no..

Because u can still get that old school vibe at Hullabaloo because Hardcore is forever and will never die!!
shuko_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2003, 03:44 AM   #32
Phlux
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Phlux
Quote:
Originally posted by MadChemist
Mmmmm...

I hope the next big fad is smaller more intimate parties in the outdoors. Esp. in places of great natural beauty.

I hear about these ridiculous parties in Goa where the generators are lugged out to the middle of jungle / mountains / forest glades. And expat hippies and backpackers dance the day and night away :-)

sounds blissful

From what I've heard GOA isn't what it used to be... The police have pretty much killed the scene off there. You can probably find better outdoor parties in Canada during the summer than you can in India these days.

Last edited by Phlux : January 13th, 2003 at 03:46 AM.
Phlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #33
MadChemist
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MadChemist
Quote:
Originally posted by Phlux

From what I've heard GOA isn't what it used to be... The police have pretty much killed the scene off there. You can probably find better outdoor parties in Canada during the summer than you can in India these days.

awwww nuts. Why the po po's always gotta shut down a good time.....

God forbid people have a good time without paying enough in taxes on it.
MadChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #34
kandeegirl2
Sweetness and Light Mod

Photos: 29  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to kandeegirl2 Send a message via AIM to kandeegirl2 Send a message via Yahoo to kandeegirl2
it's been almost 4 years now and i have the same enthusiasm for parties as i did in the beginning...im still candy and i love it. i think the scene is just fine the way it is. if you contribute a positive vibe and you enjoy going because its something you like to do, then keep raving. i know i will for quite a long time....
Old February 16th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #35
candypunk
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to candypunk
yes kandeegirl2! ive been partying for about 4 years and im still candy to! and i think the scene is great right now, i think theres going to be a big change tho because hardcore seems to be becoming big again but thats not a bad thing PLUR

-Will
Old February 16th, 2003, 03:02 PM   #36
abnormalcy
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to abnormalcy
I think the Rave scene is not going anywhere. I think Its filled with Really special, informed people who want it to continue. Sure, its ever changing but its also never ending. E-tards come and go, but the true party kids always come back. Also, All This discussion, and all your comments are keeping it alive. It will never be mainstream. And if it is, there will still be an alternative. Come on seriouslyy, there will never be Gabber on MTV
Old February 16th, 2003, 03:24 PM   #37
DynamicHalfDuo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DynamicHalfDuo Send a message via AIM to DynamicHalfDuo
Maybe not on MTV, but perhaps on the "E" network? Ok ok...bad pun....
Old February 16th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #38
Arkane
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Arkane
Quote:
Originally posted by enD
I think that the bad part of the scene are the people who have been partying for 2 years and constantly bitch about everything yet still go to events. I wish those so called "elitists" would just shut the fuck up and dance or go somewhere else. Why are they hanging around? I know going to raves is a bad habit to break, but seriously grow up!

I pretty much went through the same "first rave" experience as most of you guys on here when I started partying 4 years ago, but then when I turned 20 I realized that being childish and shitty was uber lame. It's all about having fun. I wish more people would realize that and let loose. Maybe they need to put the beer down and take a pill again for their own good.

you pretty much took the words out of my mouth. I know I've only been partying for over a year...but listening to the music for much much longer. but who cares if someone thinks the rave scene was better however long ago...at least the people are having fun NOW and to them they are having the time of their lives so who cares if whoever had more fun 2-3 years ago. just stay at home and watch tv or something. In my opinion I think the scene is getting better. just because someone 'raved' 3-4 years ago or whatever...it doesn't make you 'cool' but seriously, raves are a lot of fun now....maybe you've been going to the wrong party or hangin with the wrong people. a party is only what you make of it, if your not having fun, then that's a personal problem
Arkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #39
Move~Your~Stuff
Banned

Mix mag made the mistake of calling Happyhardcore a fad and even went on to write a satirical obituary calling for the death of HHC.

Look at their cover now. Praising happy hardcore as a progressive music that has involved into a tren.

Mix Mag sucks they are only in it for the bucks and their articles suck too.
Move~Your~Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #40
candypunk
Hullaboarder

i second that mixmag can suck my d*** they are just a corporation wanting money.
candypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 03:07 PM   #41
xRaVeRx
Hullaboarder

Photos: 7  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to xRaVeRx Send a message via MSN to xRaVeRx
(I havent read) everyone elses thoughts on this subject!
(But) PLLLLLLZZZZZZZZ...The rave scene is soo not close to being over!! (I jus entered it) lass summer (The Anthems)
dont stop it now.. im just getting into it
DONT STOP THE RAVE SCENE PLZ!

xRaVeRx
Old March 1st, 2003, 03:48 PM   #42
RaverPrincess
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to RaverPrincess
Quote:
Originally posted by xRaVeRx
(I havent read) everyone elses thoughts on this subject!
(But) PLLLLLLZZZZZZZZ...The rave scene is soo not close to being over!! (I jus entered it) lass summer (The Anthems)
dont stop it now.. im just getting into it
DONT STOP THE RAVE SCENE PLZ!

xRaVeRx

As long as there are those of us who love this scene and still have this enthusiasm for it, it won't die...

Nadine
RaverPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 07:49 PM   #43
xRaVeRx
Hullaboarder

--^ YaY!!
I hope not!! I absolutely LOVE the --EVERYTHING!!

xRaVeRx
xRaVeRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 11:20 AM   #44
EMAGDNIM
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by Move~Your~Stuff
Mix mag made the mistake of calling Happyhardcore a fad and even went on to write a satirical obituary calling for the death of HHC.

Look at their cover now. Praising happy hardcore as a progressive music that has involved into a tren.

Mix Mag sucks they are only in it for the bucks and their articles suck too.

Yeah...I know what you meen...but I'm more of a BPM fan...
EMAGDNIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 12:57 PM   #45
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
People said the scene was "dead" when I first entered it. It was, in a way, since it's always changing, and the music and people who attend come and go. As long as we don't get stuck in a time warp, and new music and people continue to enter the scene, it will continue to survive. I just don't want it to turn into a "disco night" where people come to hear the same old tracks over and over again.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 09:37 PM   #46
xRaVeRx
Hullaboarder

-=-^ Ya, serious!! Always keep new tracks comin and play the old ones every so often till they're dead!!

xRaVeRx

--Walk For MS
xRaVeRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2003, 02:42 AM   #47
IvanQFrostbite
Hullaboarder
Tetris Champion! High Score: 585574 

Location: School:Athens Ohio. Home:Huber Heights (Dayton) Ohio
Send a message via AIM to IvanQFrostbite Send a message via Yahoo to IvanQFrostbite
Quote:
The music and fashion (2 of the major parts of the sence) have become incrediblly mainstream ... so now people can't go around and brag and pretend to be cool becuase they have been to a rave because most likely the person they are talking to has been to one too
But that is not what it is all about. If a person is there just to brag that they went to a rave, I really don't wnat them there because they are contributing nothing to the vibe and they are their for image purposes only. I got into cause it was a love,almost an obsession. The biggest negative effect from the "Mainstreaming" of Raves is the laws. And now, with the Rave act being passed, I really am concerned now. I don't think that it is dying at all, but I think a lot less people are going for the sake of bragging right and I am glad for that. Go because you are curious. GO because you love it. Just don't go so you can brag.
Old April 14th, 2003, 12:34 AM   #48
objectiview711
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to objectiview711 Send a message via AIM to objectiview711
until i found the hulla board, i thought everyone had given up,i looked at old rave sites that screamed SAVE OUR SCENE!!!!
(last update april 2000)
it was like finding an abandon ship wreck from 1432 AD
but there are still people trying,i love raving , i have for a long time,
thanx to the fearless (often hated ) candy kids,for thier
CONSTANT plurvibe ,thanks to the diligent old schoolers who refuse to jade over,thanks to people like frolic who respect the classics but realize things still have to move foward(and put their ass and legal future on the line for us)
Jeers to th the media,the jaded,the eliteists,the braggarts,and the violent.
My city is mourning the 3 year aniversery of absolutte scene death,we keep it real in our homes ,cars and minds with our music and attitude.
Ill join you in toronto to keep it real in a collective for the first time in a long time,see ya there.
Some say plur is a cheesy word /term/idea....i think im one of them sometimes ,but it had a huge influence on me,so ill scream it with pride.

my peace object
Old April 17th, 2003, 07:27 PM   #49
candypunk
Hullaboarder

PLUR!!!!!!!!!!!
candypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2003, 06:55 PM   #50
dj shift
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to dj shift
this has to be the dumbest thread i've seen in years

(then again, i havent logged on in years)

anyways, raves have never been cool to say the least. it was more of a social tabboo that no one really knew about 7 years ago. even that number is being modest.

but to disagree with many responses on this thread, the loss of "coolness"(pardon my parker lewis) has actually hurt the rave scene. promoters cant get the same talent anymore, wont spend the big bucks on sound, lighting and venues, and many dj's that are good just plain out dont care anymore. you are in essence, left with the leftovers of a sub-par thanksgiving metophorically speaking.

so enjoy your turkey sandwiches... thats all you are gonna get
dj shift is offline   Reply With Quote