Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:45 PM   #101
Mrs Skittles
Friendship Crew

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mrs Skittles
Rave is dead.

Rave will never die.

Both of these statements I believe to ring true. Regardless of what I think, people who advance such notions will defend such positions with great zeal, and they are not wrong in their beliefs. How can such seemingly opposing perspectives be rationalized? Is there not a great paradox in this? The answer lies in what we subjectively understand the rave scene to be (or have been) in the first place.

The romanticism of the rave scene has been smelling a little funny for some time now. The ideals of PLUR and the like have been advanced, revived, denounced, and ridiculed on these boards since... well, since people began looking to boards in an attempt to understand what the fuck was going on in the first place. At the same time, there is something intensely personal about what drew us into this whole business in the first place, which by extension, we may naturally want to preserve and represent to future generations of subculture. I'll spell out more reasons why my points are valid in my own mind as the thread goes along. Personal experience is all we can really talk about anyway, isn't it? There is nothing completely universal in all of this, and that's what creates much of the misunderstanding in the first place.

more later...

~Bob Marley
Mrs Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:50 PM   #102
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
It was really terrible in Colorado... when things began to get more mainstream a lot of kids came to parties and took a bunch of drugs, theres nothing wrong with that if, you have people around you that know how to take care of someone and what to do in different situations... also since most of the "main stream" people never told their parents what they were doing they wouldnt go to a hospital if things did get out of control. So about 4 teens died from X. After that there were NO more raves and maybe one or two all night evens a month. And that is the way that it has been since. I remember my first party... it was in a huge barn in a town called Limon about 5 hours from my house. Dave Ralph, Deep Sky and others were there... after that a abandoned K-mart, then a corn field, a mountain clearing, etc... but no more. Now we get a lot of headliners but they are in a club setting and all those "main streamers" (guys with gel in their hair open in the front A/X black button up shirts with their matted chest hair all hanging out and gold chains drinking Corona...hitting on girls with tiny shirts, push up bras and short skirts and 4 inch heels <for dancing?>... i cant stand it but its the only way for me to experience a live techno set...

sorry for the long post... i just was at The Church (club) last night and saw all of that kind of stuff going on... not as much because i was watching AK1200 and all the Jungle Kids came out for it... "mainsteamers" only like trance and house.

Depressives don't. They want to be unhappy to confirm they're depressed. If they were happy they couldn't be depressed anymore. They'd have to go out into the world and live. Which can be depressing.
-Closer.
evangelos_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:48 PM   #103
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

it wouldnt let me edit... but i also wanted to point out that if you wear candy at any of these places all the "jocks" ( i dont know what else to call them... i mean they remind me of the "cool" people in school that looked down on everyone) give you shit... i dont care that they give me shit... but it can bother me a little and i get angry at them and i hate being angry when im supposed to be having fun.
Old October 27th, 2004, 03:23 AM   #104
Dj PyRO
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Dj PyRO
its over. Not for all but for the most that started in the beggining. Its sad, least for me. All the memories that i have, all the memories i want to forget, some i want to keep, all the things i left behind, including every friend i met in the rave scene. But alteast i still carry the music, and i guess thats what it was for from the beggining!
Dj PyRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #105
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelos_gq
girls with tiny shirts, push up bras and short skirts and 4 inch heels

Thank you for that image.

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Everybodies_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:58 PM   #106
Troile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Troile
ahhh...my 2 cents.

What do I think of the scene right now? I really really like happy hardcore...and I like to dance. Thats what I think of the scene. It pisses me off that hhc doesn't get much respect..and even at hhc parties it isn't even played that much...
I haven't heard a really good cheeses out set in a long time and that makes me kind of sad.

But things are still okay. I started when I was almost 19...I didn't see it as something that was going to save me or make me see the light or anything...but its something thats really really fun to do on the weekend. And it still is.

There are barely any candy kids anymore...and practically the only ones that are left only do it b/c its cool and not b/c it feels really good to make the vibe happen and all that jazz...

The last few parties I've been to I've chatted with candy kids...and I just don't know what they're all about anymore. Its kind of depressing...

But then I've always felt this way I suppose...its hard to be a candy kid...that almost makes it worth it...haha.

Parties have been the same for me throughout...sometimes I end up meeting some cool people sometimes I don't. I have noticed a trend of less jaded people being all jaded and pissing me off...there were too many of them a year ago...but now they're doesn't see to be much.

I find that people are happy...and having a good time...

But the togetherness vibe is gone. Its been replaced by a different vibe which is still good...but

The parties don't have a flow to them like they used to imo...though this is hardly a concrete observation...just noticing a tendency...

Maybe I'll try going back to a hulla and see if some kind of rave vibe is there again.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:13 PM   #107
Psychick
Hullaboarder

Photos: 5  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Psychick
Where is it cool to be candy?

I beat the internet....the end guy was hard

Psychick & J-Karlos & Termeric | The Cyber Lepers of the Future

anyone who's anyone knows who deek is ... you're all internet stars
Psychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 10:17 PM   #108
Troile
Hullaboarder

Its not!

haha. But it is to some people...esp the people that just start out. Its like a competition with them...and they make up all kinds of rave rules and other weird stuff...I guess its just a matter of taking raving too seriously...
Troile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 11:11 PM   #109
Psychick
Hullaboarder

Haha, rave rules? Like what?
Old November 3rd, 2004, 11:35 PM   #110
4real
Hullaboarder

personally i think its the individual if he truly desires and loves the music then he will follow it like myself i will never stop listening. As long as you listen then it will never die. And peops that onluy used the rave scene for drugs women booze or whatever shouldnt have been there in the first place. Dont worry the true listeners will always be together.
4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:42 AM   #111
Troile
Hullaboarder

how to be a candy kid...that kind of garbage...

Its like...its just a fucking rave. I love to do it as much as the next guy...but the whole point is to let loose and do whatever you feel like doing without worrying about stuff.

After the night is over I walk back to my actual life. It sure is a great way to have fun...but it tis no way of life. (the ideals maybe...not the actual raving...haha)
Troile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #112
upinflames1234
Hullaboarder

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to upinflames1234
i just hope the rave fad will never die... it will prolly come around again... just like all this new punk shit that is starting to sound like the 70's... we will see
Old November 6th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #113
Psychick
Hullaboarder

The new punk shit sounds nothing like the 70's. If Johnny Rotten were here, he'd slash you with a broken beer bottle for that comment, while Iggy Pop held you down and pissed on the wounds.
Old November 6th, 2004, 05:44 PM   #114
dj mannik
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to dj mannik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychick
The new punk shit sounds nothing like the 70's. If Johnny Rotten were here, he'd slash you with a broken beer bottle for that comment, while Iggy Pop held you down and pissed on the wounds.

you, my dear, are turning me on.

new skate rock music is all fine and good but there's nothing punk about it
dj mannik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #115
integrrac
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to integrrac Send a message via Yahoo to integrrac
i got somthing to say. . . .. . i killed your baby today!
Old November 6th, 2004, 11:11 PM   #116
dj mannik
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to dj mannik
dj mannik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 04:54 AM   #117
DJ Saiyan
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to DJ Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynhype
I really don't think anyone notices raves are there. its not like a conversation topic at a normal party. but if it was im sure people would think its all drugs, sex, and loud music.

An old friend of mine's boss when he was working at Home Depot called raves "drug infested sex parties".
Old November 7th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #118
perry461
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to perry461 Send a message via AIM to perry461 Send a message via Yahoo to perry461
Haha...silly uneducated people.
perry461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #119
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 28 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to chipakapockets
Yeah... people are idiots... but raves are just fading away not because of lack of popularity, but lack of being plastered across the news. They were huge when everyone saw 'em. huge when every night before you went to bed, there'd be baaad shit about raves all over the news... now... raves don't even get mentioned at all. As sad as it is that our scene bursted in size because of negative publicity, publicity is publicity, and that's what made us huge.

Talk! Talk about raves to people! Remember that you represent the scene and, in doing so, remember to show people what PLUR is all about!!

And for GAWD SAKES! Stop uneducated freaks like that fellow calling raves "Drug infested sex parties" from spreading their bullshit before it's too late!!

PLUR,

Chip

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989
chipakapockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #120
Toye
Hullaboarder

Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Toye
Raves aren't fading away, they just became as underground as they were in the beginning and thats the way it should be.
Toye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #121
astralkid
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Yeah,if the media hypes it all the kids wanna do it cause is the cool thing to do... I have been cutting down on the partes mainly cause they just don't seem fun anymore... I go to only special event parties or when someone I REALLY wanna see is playing.
astralkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 09:45 PM   #122
Glyce
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 8 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to Glyce Send a message via MSN to Glyce
Well guys, the rave scene here has certainly died down. Where I live, it seems like all the ravers know each other. That's probably not a good sign. Also, clubs are starting to predominate, instead of big parties in parks or warehouses or whatever. I remember back in the day my brother used to go to everything and he was always telling me about it and how many people there were, and there was always room for more. But as people get older, and the younger generation is being raised on TV and MTV, there's no one new coming to the rave scene. That's why it's our job (because we care about our scene) to pass out flyers and get people to come, tell them they'll have a blast, and get them to loosen up to the idea of dancing with lots of people and listening to music that is generally enjoyable unless you tell yourself it isn't. In techno there's virtually something for everyone, and we just need to make people realize that. We just have to keep "spreadin' the word" and passing out flyers. Get to know people and introduce them to something they like. Just keep the scene going!!! I know there're plenty like me who really look forward to living their own partying legacy. Some just don't know it.

PEACE (V)
Glyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #123
evangelos_gq
Hullaboarder

^^^ its wierd how most of everyone is being corrupted with bad vibes from magazines and tv these days... people dont know what it is to be nice anymore. And when there is music that preaches "nice" things its written off as gay... and most people i think everywhere in the US would rather "freak" in a hip hop club with some "bitches" then experience the energy and purely awsome surrounding that a party can provide.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 02:55 PM   #124
candiikidrainbow
Hullanewbie

Send a message via AIM to candiikidrainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmicKande
heres a question:

if/when electronic music becomes 'mainstream' and just as popular as pop/rock/whatever then what will be the next music fad? these things are hard to predict... but what do u think comes next?

to me, electronic music is like an anti-music. in a sense.
i mean, when it comes to 'traditional' music, there are lyrics, and instruments, this music has many genres. pop, rap, r&b, metal, rock, country... the list goes on.

electronic music seems to be the yang of this yin. it has just as many genres, even eqivalent genres.

so do you think that our music will continue to flourish, and the next 'fad' will be with the walls of electronic music, or will it be within the walls of traditional music? jazz was once a new thing. so was rock and/or roll. now we are amidst an electroncic music fad.

I think sharing our music with people would be fun but then they really wouldnt understand the meaning of what really goes on at raves were constantly rediculed.. but hey i guess we will just have to deal with it and hope our music stays on the low down.. I guess it would be pretty awesome to hear a happy hardcore song on the radio on my bus ride home and see the reaction from the other little kiddos "wtf what is this" and id just continue to dance..
candiikidrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 11:08 PM   #125
too_bad
Hullanewbie

just browsing for some reason and came across this post... when i started to party in 1996 the scene was already pretty old and i knew people which had been going for about 7 or so years. so i started to go when it started to get popular. in 1999, 2 years after that it was out of control, huge acts like run dmc and the scratch pickles were showing up to raves, everyone from my high school knew what they were, and all the cool people that had started at the beggining were leaving the scene....it was over. i progressively stopped going out to parties in about 2000 - 2001, because they just sucked and the people were whack. sorry guys it's been dead for a while, deal with it.

maybe stuff will get better, there's nothing bettter than hard techno in an unventilated, half dilapidated banquet hall hehehe

later
too_bad is offline   Reply With Quote