Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media > iDance
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old July 22nd, 2000, 09:56 PM   #26
Stormshadow
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Stormshadow
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Klubmasta Will:
prodigy boy - matrix and optical are part of the same virus/metro recordings label. we don't know why they decided to send matrix instead. that's just how their tour worked out i guess. (lifeforce/syrous is providing the dnb talent so they are providing us with all the details.)

matrix is definitely on the same talent level as optical. check out their website for more info: www.neurofunk.com/place_to_be/

cheers,

Klubmasta Will
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aparently Optical has developed an inner-ear problem, and can't DJ as of late. This is why Matrix is coming. It really sucks what happened to Optical, but I've never seen Matrix so this should be wicked!

Old July 22nd, 2000, 10:03 PM   #27
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

ok, the entire cd is finished now. we are giving copies to media on monday morning. the media response will determine how many copies we will make to sell.

freaky flow, flipside and hatiras played 4 of the i-dance tracks at last night's liquid adrenaline club night and the crowd response was incredible.

all the songs kick ass but d-region's dnb track is unbelievably sweet. same goes for the hip-hop track. the lyrics are so funny and politically powerful that it is sure to get the most media attention.

*don't forget to plan to come to the rally EARLY as the headliners will be on early and we need maximum crowd support while city council is still in session and the news cameras go live-to-air*

Klubmasta Will
Old July 22nd, 2000, 10:35 PM   #28
L33T
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to L33T
I hope everyone is coming... I'm for sure takin my day off work jus to go.... so expect me to b there

Redout
Old July 23rd, 2000, 03:25 AM   #29
Digital_BluE
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Digital_BluE
&lt;buMp&gt;
Old July 23rd, 2000, 06:51 PM   #30
--=TWITCH=--
Hullaboarder

Talking

I'll be there nice and early
Old July 23rd, 2000, 07:06 PM   #31
-=SuperScratch=-
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to -=SuperScratch=-
*Wishes he could go!*

--Someone HAS to pick me up a CD--

Kyle
Old July 23rd, 2000, 08:35 PM   #32
J_ACiD
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to J_ACiD
wouldnt it be weird if some crackhead OD's at i-dance??

whooaaa
Old July 24th, 2000, 12:29 AM   #33
ProdigyBoy
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to ProdigyBoy
Angry

*bumped*
to keep it from falling another 3 pages or of the board due to stupidity, imuturity, and a lack of respect shown by a few board members

Cameron Bay.
Old July 24th, 2000, 02:53 AM   #34
zoo
Hullaboarder

umm
how come "SAVE THE RAVE" isn't on the cd?
the track dj ian played a few weeks ago
right before dr trance's set
on 1groove
???
it's toronto's anthem !!
dj ian said he's gonna debut it at the rally [somehow]
prolly through dr trance
they claim it's gonna be toronto's anthem

anyway

i want this cd

i hope there's enough copies of it so i can pick one up

Old July 24th, 2000, 02:56 AM   #35
zoo
Hullaboarder

hey
did u guys know about the anti-idance rally movement?

i'm serious

not that i'm part of it or anything, but i know people who are, and i know the organizers

hehe

if u sucsribe to THE TECHNO LIST on www.techno.ca, then u know what i'm talking about
Old July 24th, 2000, 03:33 AM   #36
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

ya, i've heard of the anti-idance movement. the leader is this crazy sonofabitch named julian fantino.

Klubmasta Will
Old July 24th, 2000, 11:18 AM   #37
Mr. Stamina!
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Stamina!
Talking

I shall be there.

Best save me a CD!!

Old July 24th, 2000, 11:54 AM   #38
immersed
Hullaboarder

Question

when (what time in the day will they start) and where will they be selling the CD?!? There's gonna be sooo many people there (those who don't attend shall be branded Ultimate Twinkies ) so I don't want to not be able to find it until they're sold out!=i=
Old July 24th, 2000, 02:58 PM   #39
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

best place to buy the cd is at the i-dance pre-party. that way you can be sure we don't sell out.

cheers,

Klubmasta Will
Old July 24th, 2000, 03:00 PM   #40
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

***i-DANCE PRESS CONFERENCE***

ok, we just did the i-dance press conference at city hall. the room was PACKED with reporters. everyone seems to think we did a pretty good job. let's just hope the reporters don't twist our statements.

watch for it on tonight's news programs and in tomorrow's papers.

Klubmasta Will
Old July 24th, 2000, 08:39 PM   #41
Kissyface
Hullaboarder

eeep!
Old July 24th, 2000, 11:49 PM   #42
dddubbb
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to dddubbb
Exclamation

wholey shit could it get ANY better!#@#@!#$@#$@????????.. and to think i have an 11 oclock curfew :*(
Old July 25th, 2000, 09:11 AM   #43
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

July 25, 2000

Ravers rally for freedom to dance
Enthusiasts aim to win access to city-owned venues

By Bruce DeMara
Toronto Star City Hall Bureau

Ravers of the city unite.

Rave enthusiasts and their supporters will gather next week to try to persuade Toronto city councillors to lift a ban on electronic music parties at city-owned sites.

The i Dance rally will run from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. next Tuesday in Nathan Phillips Square, the evening before council is expected to debate whether to reverse its stance and allow raves at venues like Exhibition Place.

Rave promoters point to the recommendations made after the inquest into the death of Ryerson student Allen Ho last October at an underground rave party. The inquest recommendations, made last month, included a plea that city council allow city-owned property to be used for raves to ensure greater public safety.

``There are 50,000 people going out every weekend looking for places to dance in Toronto after midnight. And if legal, safe spaces aren't available, they're going to go to unsafe spaces. It's that simple,'' said Alex D, publisher of Tribe magazine.

The member of the Toronto Dance Safety Committee pointed out that rave promoters in ``underground'' venues are not required to hire off-duty police or to have ambulances standing by for emergencies, compulsory for events at public sites.

Police Chief Julian Fantino, who in May led the charge at council to ban raves on city property, is expected to report to the police services board later this week on the issue.

That report will probably form the basis of next week's council debate.

Will Chang, a founding member of the dance safety committee, said ravers are not going to allow ``misconceptions'' about the scene to go unchallenged.

``We want to show the powers that be that even though people involved in the rave scene really don't want to get political . . . if our culture is being threatened by a lot of misinformation, we can and we will be a strong political force,'' Chang said.

The rave supporters have also released a CD called It's About Freedom to Dance to raise funds to support their cause. Some of the electronic tracks include excerpts from the May council debate, featuring Lastman, Councillor Frances Nunziata (York Humber) and Councillor George Mammoliti (North York Humber).

``I don't want to see kids get hurt, I don't want them getting hit over the head with a bottle,'' the mayor says in one number, drawing jeers and laughter from the rave supporters present.

DJ MC Flipside said he's been involved in rave events with 25,000 people and has seen no real trouble. ``Having been involved with the rave scene since the early '90s . . . I've never experienced any violence, I've never experienced any problems at these parties.''

Councillor Olivia Chow (Downtown) said she'll work hard to persuade fellow politicians to lift the ban.

Old July 25th, 2000, 09:13 AM   #44
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

Rave supporters use audio clips to suggest opponents uninformed
Musicians compile CD including
Lastman quotes from policy debate

JAMES RUSK
Municipal Affairs Reporter
Globe and Mail
Tuesday, July 25, 2000

Toronto -- Mayor Mel Lastman has starred in television commercials, election campaigns and council meetings. Now he is being heard on an electronic music CD, which the rave industry has compiled in its fight to make a point to city council.

Rave scene aficionados hooted in laughter yesterday when excerpts from two of seven tracks of the CD, which was compiled by a number of Toronto's top electronic musicians, were played at a city hall press conference.

Each of the tracks features audio clips from last May's city council debate at which the council decided to ban raves on city property. In the eyes of rave supporters, the clips show how little those who opposed raves, particularly the mayor and Police Chief Julian Fantino, know about the rave scene in the city.

The tracks are going to be prominent at a city hall rally, to which some of the top rave DJs from around the world will come, to be held Aug. 1, the night before city council reconsiders its policy on raves.

When rave supporters were asked at the press conference whether they would win points with politicians by making fun of the mayor, Toronto lawyer Will Chang said that if the mayor makes unfair statements about raves, "certain artists are going to call him on it."

Mr. Chang, who is involved with the Toronto Dance Safety Committee, an industry group that negotiated a protocol for the conduct of raves that was approved by council last December, said that the rave community wants the city to implement the protocol.

It also wants an understanding with the police about the number of paid-duty officers who must be hired for raves. The protocol says one for each 500 patrons, but the rave community says that police have been forcing a much higher ratio of officers, including undercover police, on rave promoters trying to work within the guidelines for legal raves.

And the rave community wants the city to reinstate its policy of allowing rave promoters to rent city-owned venues. Mr. Chang said that coroner's jury that conducted the inquest into the death of Allan Ho, who died after using the drug ecstasy at an illegal rave, supported the use of city-owned sites for raves.

The alternative is to drive the rave industry underground to sites where no police are present, ambulances are not standing by and water is not readily available, he said.

The rave community has support in council where the effort to get the city to change its May policy is well under way.

Yesterday, the city's Board of Health followed up the Ho inquest by adopting a number of proposals designed to cut drug use at raves, including an education effort funded from the city budget and contributions from rave promoters.

On Friday, the council's community services committee will hold a special meeting to discuss the establishment of a late-night event protocol.

Old July 25th, 2000, 09:16 AM   #45
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

Tuesday, July 25, 2000
The Toronto Sun

Lift ban, ravers demand

By SCOT MAGNISH, CITY HALL BUREAU

Rave supporters yesterday mocked Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman, threatening to take their culture underground if the city doesn't back off on its dance-party ban.

On a CD promoting next Tuesday's i Dance Rally in Nathan Phillips Square, Lastman's voice can be heard through music repeatedly stating: "I didn't know what a rave party was" and "I thought we could control them."

Toronto Dance Safety Committee member Will Chang said the city's rave community released the CD -- which also includes sound bites of Toronto Police Chief Julian Fantino -- to send a message to council.

DRUG CONCERNS

"We just want the ban lifted and a return to the rave protocols council endorsed last year," Chang said.

Council banned raves in city-owned venues earlier this year at the urging of Lastman and Fantino, both of whom were concerned about drug abuse at the all-night dance parties.

Police made 47 arrests and laid 95 drug-related charges at the past two raves held on city property.

If it isn't lifted soon, warned Tribe magazine editor "AlexD," then "rave organizers are more than prepared to go underground."

A report on raves will be tabled at next week's council meeting.
Old July 25th, 2000, 11:07 AM   #46
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

July 25, 2000

Rave supporters remix Mayor's flip-flop on CD
City council to reconsider protocol for dance parties

Don Wanagas
National Post

Toronto's electronic music enthusiasts have enlisted a powerful political voice in their fight with City Hall over the future of municipally sanctioned raves.

That voice -- albeit dubbed and remixed by a group of creative local deejays -- belongs to none other than Mel Lastman, the Mayor.

Recordings of Mr. Lastman's verbal flip-flops over the past year concerning the huge dance parties held at city-owned Exhibition Place provide the background to a novelty CD released yesterday by the Toronto Dance Safety Committee. One track on the iDance disc titled Strike Back features the Mayor vocally backing and then, six months later, withdrawing his support for the city's safe rave protocol.

The initiative granted dance promoters the right to rent municipal facilities for their events so long as building code and safety standards were adhered to and off-duty police were hired to provide security. First adopted in December, the protocol was suspended in May after Julian Fantino, the chief of police, convinced Mr. Lastman that raves are little more than havens for the sale and use of illegal drugs like Ecstasy.

But the matter goes back to city council for reconsideration next week and the rave community is marshalling its supporters for a large rally at Nathan Phillips Square next Tuesday evening as part of a campaign to persuade the politicians to lift the suspension.

"It is going to be a big party, but we don't want people to lose sight of the fact that, first and foremost, this is a rally," Will Chang, a spokesman for the dance safety committee, said of the five-hour gathering that is expected to attract thousands of rap, hip hop and electronic music fans.

Mr. Chang, a lawyer, told a City Hall news conference that the event will feature "a very exciting line-up" of speakers, including civil rights lawyers and sympathetic politicians. And the "world-class" roster of musical talent will be highlighted by the local trio of rap practitioners (Nefarius, Flipside and Ylook) who masterminded the Strike Back track.

The six-minute opus ridicules the Mayor for condemning a music and entertainment genre he has no first-hand knowledge of, based on hearsay passed to him by the police chief.

"Yo, Mel, check it out," one stanza implores. "You don't know the half, the reason we laugh is because you don't know what you're talking about -- including your staff. All you hear is 'blah, blah, blah,' Gibberish, gibberish."

Another line aimed at the Mayor proclaims: "Yo, Mel, you don't know what you're doin', spending money on painted moose while my neighbourhood's in ruin."

And, as perhaps the ultimate insult to the Mayor (a former furniture and appliance salesman), one rapper advises: "I never liked Bad Boy. My parents shopped at The Brick."

In May, Mr. Chang had urged the local politicians to delay their suspension of the policy until a coroner's inquest released its findings. The inquest ruled that the elimination of sanctioned supervised raves will only force the large dance parties completely underground and increase the danger to young participants.
Old July 25th, 2000, 11:29 AM   #47
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

a correction: that last part should say that councillor chow and the tdsc urged the local politicians ... etc.
Old July 25th, 2000, 12:44 PM   #48
J_ACiD
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to J_ACiD
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>conducted the inquest into the death of Allan Ho, who died after using the drug ecstasy at an illegal rave<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

these fuckheads still cant get it right!!
urgh
Old July 25th, 2000, 02:33 PM   #49
[o:FLipZ:o]
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to [o:FLipZ:o]

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh I'm so excited I can't wait I booked the day off work so i could make it.

I'm going to the pre party at turbo!!

see ya guys there
Old July 25th, 2000, 03:35 PM   #50
amberleigh
Hullaboarder

Will.,
PLEASE CALL ME AT THE STORE I NEED TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT I-DANCE. I DON'T HAVE YOUR NUMBER. PLEASE!!!!!!

AMBER-LEIGH