Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media > iDance
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old August 2nd, 2000, 11:36 AM   #1
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

Talking

(didn't want to fill the review thread with all these articles so here you go ...)

------- ------- ------- ------- -------

Rave fans dance for the cause

By Graeme Smith
Toronto Star Staff Reporter
June 2, 2000

Thousands of young people packed Nathan Phillips Square yesterday for a rally to show city councillors that raves are peaceful and safe.

Electronic music enthusiasts wearing baggy pants and metallic-coloured shirts cheered for more than just their favourite performers.

They shouted in unison when prompted by Councillor Olivia Chow (Downtown):

``Who wants a ban on raves in Toronto?''

``Noooobody!'' shouted the dancers.

Chow said the sizable turnout at the iDance rally caught the attention of councillors scheduled to debate today whether to lift a ban on raves held on municipal property like Exhibition Place.

``There's a large number of councillors that came down,'' Chow said, ``And they're watching.''

Wearing the only suit and tie in a crowd of spiky-haired youth, Councillor Mike Tzekas (Scarborough Wexford) said he has changed his mind about raves. ``I voted against them,'' he said, swaying to the heavy beats. ``But when you actually see the community, it's a different story.''

Police estimated the crowd at 10,000, but chief organizer Will Chang said it was more like 15,000 to 20,000.

``Those people are rammed in like sardines,'' said Chang, a founding member of the Toronto dance safety committee.

Everything needed for the event - including 50 security guards - was donated by rave promoters and other groups.

``We've been working every day for the last three months, skipping meals, but it's worth it,'' Chang said.

The committee hopes council will lift the ban it imposed in May.

But Mayor Mel Lastman said that, in the event council votes to lift the ban, the city must have rules governing the events.

Among the new rules would be an age restriction of 16 and older, and a requirement that Toronto Ambulance be at each rave held on city property.

The city would also require a police protocol that includes a risk assessment, physical inspection of the site, licensed security, background checks for promoters and others involved, and arrangements for hiring paid-duty police officers.

``The rules will not change. The rules we've got to have,'' the mayor said last night.

``All I want is tighter restrictions. I want them to have fun - why shouldn't they have fun? I had fun as a kid, I danced as a kid. But I want them to go to these dances and I want them to come home alive.''

There were no injuries at yesterday's rally, said Matt Fahley, Toronto rave co-ordinator for St. John Ambulance. It was typical of most raves, he said.

``We were working two raves last weekend and had only a few heat exhaustion patients.''

Wearing a fluorescent worker's vest and carrying a sign, ``Raves Create Jobs,'' Aly Juma, 18, said officials have the wrong impression.

``I've brought 10- or 11-year-olds into raves,'' Juma said, bouncing on the balls of his feet to the music. ``And what are they exposed to? Just music. If you had a kid, would you rather he was running around downtown or just dancing?"
Old August 2nd, 2000, 11:38 AM   #2
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

August 2, 2000

Ravers rally to defend dances
Council votes on lifting rave suspension today

Mark Gollom
National Post

On the eve of an expected vote to lift the suspension on raves, thousands of young people danced and rallied at City Hall to fight for their right to party and to make sure councillors heard their cry.

"Dancing is not a crime. It never was, it never will be," said Alex D., editor of Tribe magazine and an organizer of iDance Rally, the name given to yesterday's mass event.

The free party at Nathan Phillips Square, organized by members of Toronto's rave community, featured music intermixed with pro-rave speakers who extolled the virtues of the all- night dance events.

Organizers claimed crowds nearing 20,000 but police estimated totals of half that amount. A number of officers from the mounted unit stood by but police said there were only a few arrests for drug offences at last night's event.

The mostly youthful revellers, sporting their best rave outfits of phat pants and visors, danced peacefully to the music spun by the featured local deejays.

The loud music also got the attention of councillors inside chambers last night who asked that the volume be turned down a tad.

"They do know we're here. And while we may have to turn the sound on the stereo down a little bit they can't turn you guys down. So make a lot of noise," said lawyer Will Chang, another rally organizer.

"We're thrilled beyond belief," he said about the turnout. "We're hoping everyone watching from those windows right now will see people that go to these parties are just out to have fun and this is what it's all about. They come to listen to the music, they come to dance. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

"They should be learning and educating themselves about culture before they try to legislate it."

Some councillors did attend the event. Olivia Chow told the crowd she would ask council to endorse the party as an annual event. She also urged spectators to attend today's vote on the future of raves at city council.

In the wake of a number of rave-related deaths and fears raves are havens for drugs, city council approved a safe dance event protocol last December to ensure these events were held in legal and safe venues on city property and monitored by city staff and security. The protocol called for paramedics to be on hand and enough water supplied so dancers would not suffer dehydration. But in May, council decided to suspend raves on city property.

A coroner's inquest into the death of Allen Ho, who collapsed at an underground rave and later died at hospital last fall, ruled recently that the elimination of sanctioned raves would just drive the events underground to unsafe, unsupervised locations.

Today, council is expected to lift the suspension and approve a new protocol.

But rave organizers are worried that a new provision to the protocol, which would allow police to set the number of off-duty police officers at a rave, will drive the events out of business.

Mr. Chang said officers are "going to arbitrarily increase the number of paid duty officers to such ridiculous number that the rave promoter has to cancel the event or that the promoter loses money."

He said paid duty officers at the rave at the Better Living Centre cost the promoter $40,000, more than the cost of renting the centre.
Old August 2nd, 2000, 11:40 AM   #3
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

Wednesday, August 2, 2000

Let us party: Ravers
Thousands protest city ban by dancing the night away

By SCOT MAGNISH, CITY HALL BUREAU

Thousands of ravers descended on Nathan Phillips Square last night to dance, protest and demand councillors lift their ban on the dance parties.

"This is a generous, creative, forward-thinking scene and I want Mayor Moose Man Mel to know that," said raver and CITY-TV host Daniel Richler, urging the crowd of lollipop-sucking teens to keep fighting for their right to party.

Although the city's ban on raves is likely to be lifted at today's council meeting, tough new safety standards for the all-night dance parties are also on the agenda.

If approved, Toronto's late-night event protocol will restrict rave attendance to teens 16 and older and increase the number of pay-duty police officers and ambulance crews at each event.

Rally organizer Will Chang warned those standards could have the same effect as a ban.

"The first time a promoter is forced to hire an inordinate number of pay-duty police officers, the rave scene will lose faith in the process and go underground," said Chang.

Councillor Olivia Chow urged the crowd to show up for today's vote and said their efforts have made a difference.

"Councillors are moving from ignorance to understanding; from fear to respect," Chow said.

Councillor Brad Duguid said he and his colleagues are "pretty entrenched as to what we're going to do.

"Three people have died of Ecstasy overdoses at raves in the past two years -- there's no question there's a link between the two," Duguid pointed out. "We owe it to the public to take every measure we can to ensure these people's safety."

Councillor George Mammoliti said witnessing last night's rave hasn't changed his mind, either.

"In fact, it scares me. Most of these kids are under the age of 16," Mammoliti said.

The vote on raves will be held at 4:30 p.m. today.
Old August 2nd, 2000, 11:42 AM   #4
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

Ravers rally on eve before council vote
Thousands gather for downtown dance to protest against restrictions and promote music scene as positive

GAY ABBATE and RAVI UBHA
The Globe and Mail
Wednesday, August 2, 2000

Toronto -- As a political protest, it was more rave than rant.

An estimated 12,000 people descended on Nathan Phillips Square last night to protest against a ban on raves in the city, and they made their point by dancing to electronic music.

The city hall square is certainly no stranger to protests, but raves have attracted a great deal of political attention in the past year, largely because of their association with designer drugs.

This spring, council reacted to a drug-related death by banning raves on city-owned property, such as Exhibition Place.

In early June, a coroner's inquest made several recommendations for safer parties. Last week, Police Chief Julian Fantino outlined a protocol to the effect that only police would decide how many officers are required at each rave.

Council is to vote on reversing the ban today, and it is expected to pass. But last night's rave was held to nudge council into allowing the all-night dance parties on public property once again.

Last night's event was organized by the Toronto Dance Safety Committee and the Party People Project. People in the crowd square-danced, gyrated, laughed, hugged and kissed. The crowd was so large that the overflow packed the balconies overlooking the square.

Although it was largely peaceful, there were several drug-related arrests, said police who were patrolling the square. They could not give details last night. The smell of marijuana wafted in one part of the square.

A carnival atmosphere permeated. Some ravers dressed up in costumes. Chantel, 15, said she wore rabbit ears just "because I like them."

The dress ran the gamut from white shirts and ties to a bikini.

Some of the ravers were in their early teens, others several generations removed. But they all appeared to be having a blast. One man who enjoyed himself too much, popped a knee while dancing, and had to be helped by paramedics.

At 19, Neera Jain is a veteran raver, having attended more than 30 parties.

"It's awesome, everyone getting together, dancing and listening to music," said the university student from Buffalo, N.Y.

She said that critics of raves are wrong in equating the parties with drugs. "People take drugs everywhere. It's a society problem, not a rave problem," she said.

Kathy Reti, 22, a raver for eight years, carried a sign with the words "Peace, Love, Unity and Respect," which she said is a rave slogan.

"It's hot, crowded, sweaty. It's great! People are giving out gum, candy snacks and flyers," she said. An announcer urged everyone to pick up their garbage.

Blake Poland, 37, from Oakville, Ont., walked around the square absorbing the atmosphere. "I think it's great. It's important that youth have a culture of their own that's respected by adults and is done in a safe place."

Dennis Mott, 56, fit right in with his white and blue pants covered with teddy bears, bright green T-shirt, and dozens of beaded bracelets on his wrists.

Mr. Mott, who has been raving for 11 months, said that "from what I've seen at raves, everybody is your friend. You go to a rave and you see smiles, not somebody saying 'What are you smiling at me for?' "

Some councillors popped out for a look after they wound up their council meeting for the day.

Councillor David Miller met up with a constituent who came with her 18-year-old daughter. He even got into the swing of things with a little jig. "And nobody snickered because I had a jacket on," he said, impressed at the turnout.

Councillor Olivia Chow said the rave "proves that Toronto is the best and safest city to throw a party."

New at raving, Ms. Chow said she went to her first rave last Saturday and stayed until 3:30 a.m.

"My muscles were so sore from dancing," Ms. Chow said.
Old August 2nd, 2000, 11:55 AM   #5
immersed
Hullaboarder

Wink

uh, most of us are under 16 =i=
Old August 2nd, 2000, 12:47 PM   #6
bucky
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to bucky Send a message via AIM to bucky
thanks will!

if yer under 16, get a fake id, or stay home!
Old August 2nd, 2000, 01:18 PM   #7
stargurl

Send a message via ICQ to stargurl
great articles!
and my pic is on page b2 in the torstar
well, it's a crowd pic but i can see mikie alan, scott, adrian and me
woohoo!
Old August 2nd, 2000, 01:26 PM   #8
SoundStream
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to SoundStream
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
"Three people have died of Ecstasy overdoses at raves in the past two years -- there's no question there's a link between the two," Duguid pointed out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although the deaths were not necessary, those kind of numbers do not warrant a ban on parties. Since when did three cases provide a "link"? Did you know that in Canada more people die in a year from diahorrea (true fact, I did my research). Maybe the chili vendors should be investigated and banned?

Also, 9 people died at a recent Pearl Jam concert one night. Maybe they should think about banning all concerts first before attacking the rave scene?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
"In fact, it scares me. Most of these kids are under the age of 16," Mammoliti said.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think anyone can actually say that honestly. Yes, there are some younger teenagers that attend parties, but to say that "most" (aka the majority, aka more than 50%) ravers are UNDER 16, is just plain ignorance. 13-15 year old partiers constitute a minority of partiers. I am sure you guys all know that, but some of these councillors need to open their eyes a little wider.

Cheers ... Ian
Old August 2nd, 2000, 01:33 PM   #9
Syphon
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Syphon
surprise surprise, the Sun is bashing us again... hehehe... oh well, I can safely say that I-dance was probably one of, if not the best event I have ever been to... and that homeless guy dancing and then asking for change, classic, I was sorry I spent all my money on parking... I saw a number of families witht heir kids there to, it was great... although I'm still tired from all the danciong... woohoo, bring on I-Dance2 next year.. hehehe...

Jeff
Old August 2nd, 2000, 02:33 PM   #10
Tigger Lily
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Tigger Lily
i am all for having another idance!
it was fun!
kudos to you will, you did a REALLY good job
and massive respect to everyone else who worked thier asses off to make idance such a big success

the picture on the front of the sun isnt too flattering tho
i dunno
it is just a bad picture

oh well, what can you expect from the sun?
*sigh*

Tigger!
Old August 2nd, 2000, 02:40 PM   #11
SnaP_KraC
Hullaboarder

i thinkl the 16+ age limuit thing is a good!
Old August 2nd, 2000, 02:41 PM   #12
*ShAnN*
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to *ShAnN*
Thumbs up

Good work Will and everyone else who contributed... The event was a great success

Shann
-loves the 16+ rule-
Old August 2nd, 2000, 03:33 PM   #13
Subsonic Chronic
Hullaboarder

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Klubmasta Will:

"Three people have died of Ecstasy overdoses at raves in the past two years -- there's no question there's a link between the two," Duguid pointed out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

10 people have died of ecstacy related deaths over the past two years in Ontario. 3 people have died of ecstacy related deaths at raves or nightclubs (System Soundbar is not a rave).
30 % of the ecstacy related deaths in Ontario took place at a rave-type event. 70% took place outside of those settings. I fail to see the "connection".

Pete

[This message has been edited by Subsonic Chronic (edited August 02, 2000).]
Old August 2nd, 2000, 05:41 PM   #14
Ford Prefect
Hullaboarder

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bucky:

if yer under 16, get a fake id, or stay home!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Immersed is being sarcastic
Old August 2nd, 2000, 05:54 PM   #15
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Saffron Send a message via Yahoo to Saffron
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by immersed:
uh, most of us are under 16 =i=<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually my friend you are wrong. *hahahaha no rave for u little one!*

Saffron
*original UK dj/mc tease*
Old August 2nd, 2000, 06:03 PM   #16
immersed
Hullaboarder

Wink

Saffron actually I'm 21 smartypants. My comment was in reference to the article stating that we are apparently under 16. That's why I was asking the question "uh, most of us are under 16? My post was intended to fall directly under that article but Mr Will landed another article in there before I posted. Sorry if that confused any of you. =i=
Bucky I assure you my ID is quite real.
thanks Ford Prefect, I'm glad someone knew what I meant

[This message has been edited by immersed (edited August 02, 2000).]
Old August 2nd, 2000, 06:06 PM   #17
Roches
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Roches Send a message via MSN to Roches
hmm... as far as i know the 3rd e-related death (not the 2 we all know about) was at effective-thats all folks in august last year... system soundbar would be a 4th, if yer gonna count clubs.

however, considering the percentage of e-related *deaths* to the percentage of e *use* at parties, i think you'd prolly find that you're safer doing e at a party than anywhere else.

not that that makes it ok.

oh yeah, one more thing.

MDMA is NOT a designer drug.

a designer drug is a drug designed to circumvent the law by replacing an illegal drug with a legal modification.
this is not what MDMA is.

Old August 2nd, 2000, 06:14 PM   #18
SketchLobster
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to SketchLobster Send a message via AIM to SketchLobster Send a message via Yahoo to SketchLobster
I'm in favour of the age limit

Oh and...I think there should be a maximum age limit too. To keep people like that creepy "Mr.Mott" person away from the parties.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> You go to a rave and see smiles, not somebody saying "What are you smiling at me for?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahahahahahahahahaha ha ha haha...

SketchLobsterJay.
The original crustacean king.

"It reaks of...bullshit, in here..."

[This message has been edited by SketchLobster (edited August 02, 2000).]
Old August 2nd, 2000, 06:26 PM   #19
MalGlo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MalGlo
Rave Nazi: "No Rave for you, ONE YEAR!"

Dave
Old August 2nd, 2000, 07:10 PM   #20
ProdigyBoy
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to ProdigyBoy
yeah i read the sun's article and wonder if they went to the right place. most the ppl were under 16? yeah right...
hehe well we heard yesterday what to use the sun for.

the other articles i read now were pretty good. some of the quotes they got from ppl were untrue but alright beliefs. some parties everyone is friendly but u gotta remeber they are strangers and may not be all to friendly. even yesterday, 99.8% may be nice but there may be the bad apple to look be aware of.

woah, so did oliva chow go to the idance preparty? hehe she's so cool.

is there anything we could all do to show her some appreation?

Cameron Bay.

Old August 2nd, 2000, 07:27 PM   #21
bucky
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to bucky Send a message via AIM to bucky
http://www.thestar.com/editorial/up...8030_66304.html

Police give party rave reviews, despite minor incidents

By Louise Surette and Michael Friscolante
Toronto Star Staff Reporters
One man was treated for an ecstasy overdose and six people were arrested during an outdoor rave at Nathan Phillips Square last night - a small number of incidents considering more than 11,000 people attended the outdoor party, police say.

FROM TODAY'S STAR
Ravers dance for the cause
Rallying for the right to a ravin' good time

Dozens of uniformed and plain clothes officers were patrolling the five-hour downtown dance party, as were close to 50 security guards paid for by rave promoters.

''We aren't flipping out about last night at all,'' said Sergeant Frank Bergen.

''We have concerns about afterhours clubs, but what the kids did last night, for instance, that is just life in the big city.''

The six people arrested, including one youth, were all charged with minor drug offences, ranging from possession of marijuana or ecstasy to possesion for the purpose of trafficking, police said.

One man was also charged with trespassing after someone tried to climb the arches over the square's main pond.

''These kids, in all fairness, aren't the problem,'' said Bergen.

''The problem comes from people who go into afterhours club to rob or hurt people or sell chemicals and drugs.''

Organizers said the iDance rally - held in front of city hall - was an attempt to show massive dance parties can be safe and peaceful. City councillors are scheduled to debate today on whether to lift a ban imposed in May on raves held on municipal properties such as Exhibition Place
Old August 2nd, 2000, 07:38 PM   #22
da MiGHTy pLUm!
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to da MiGHTy pLUm!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A carnival atmosphere permeated. Some ravers dressed up in costumes. Chantel, 15, said she wore rabbit ears just "because I like them."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I met her. She's cool. Originally I was mistaken for being someone who was at Liquid... but seeing how I didn't go to that party... it couldn't have been me...

Glad about the turnout, glad about the positivity, and glad about the overall soberness of the crowd.

I was kinda worried for a bit though cuz my friend overheard some lady from the press telling her camera people to look for "a kid who's high on E or any other drugs" or something along those lines.

That just sickens me how hard they WANT to dig up dirt on us.

Big ups, raving massive.
You guys showed the city, the province, the country, and the world what we're all about, and nothing is going to dampen our spirits, and nothing is going to keep us down for long.

-ron!
aka
-da MiGHTy pLUm!
Old August 2nd, 2000, 07:46 PM   #23
cHiCk_E
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to cHiCk_E
i'm likin' the 16+ rule..

I think yesterday changed a lot of people's minds about parties.. i think if that whole dancing in the pond thing didnt happen everyone would have probly thought ravers for the most part are really responsible people..

`Sarah
Old August 2nd, 2000, 07:54 PM   #24
Roches
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Roches Send a message via MSN to Roches
you can buy both drugs AND chemicals?
hmm gimme 6 e's and a hundred grams of sodium thiosulfate.

anyway. heh.

nothing will ever convince me 'most' ravers are responsible people.

Old August 2nd, 2000, 07:57 PM   #25
Mr. NiCe GuY

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. NiCe GuY
I agree with the 16+ rule..its a good idea

-MNG