Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old August 2nd, 2000, 09:28 AM   #51
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
I missed it cuz I'm half a world away (Czech Republic), but it sounds like a good time was had by most.

To all the ppl complaining about breaking rules and immaturity or whatever, I'd like to share a little story...

A few hours before I-Dance started, I was in Berlin at the Checkpoint Charlie museum- dedicated to the escapees, protesters and escape-helpers of the Berlin Wall, and there I read an interesting statistic- 95% of those who were escape helpers or protesters were students between 17 and 25... like most of us ravers... The main reason for this? Because adults are more complacent- If something happens (like persecution of any sort) We (the young) are more idealistic, and will stand up for what is right- if our toes are getting stepped on, we'll kick and scream until we're heard.

I realize that it is a big stretch to compare the Berlin Wall protests to Idance, but the motivation behind them is one and the same...

Who the fuck cares if someone was dancing in the pond? Did it hurt anyone? Did it make the world a worse place to live in? People were having fun, dancing, and smiling, which is the most important part of the scene. To all those who have bitched about people doing this or that, lighten UP!!!!!! They're not going to ban raves for ppl dancing in a pond, or some buisinessman running around all screwed up...

PLURsquared

MC Everybodies*Globetrotting*Daddy
Old August 2nd, 2000, 09:47 AM   #52
TraNceAhoLic
Hullaboarder

some of u need to lay off the jib and start snorting lines of valium or something......

Nat u missed the cough syroup, its okay tho we had fun without u

Later,
Brian
Old August 2nd, 2000, 11:00 AM   #53
MC Bias
Hullaboarder

Everything that I thought about this event has been summed up by everyone else!

An amazing turnout, and it was cool to see everyone groovin' to the music, no matter what kind of music they were in too!

Good job by all of the organizers, and I think I saw EVERYONE that I've ever met at a party.

MC Bias
Old August 2nd, 2000, 11:30 AM   #54
immersed
Hullaboarder

Exclamation

Heard on 680 news this morning: 8! drug related arrests and 1 E overdose carried away on a stretcher! bunch o dicks.

too much boring house
frolics set too short
no trance
no breaks (don't really like em but all music types were to be represented.
one of those house sets should have at least been hard house

some speakers a little long winded, but very helpful and necessary
great vibe
15,000 people!
I think our point was made

What a great shiveries-down-my-spine night =i=

[This message has been edited by immersed (edited August 02, 2000).]
Old August 2nd, 2000, 11:41 AM   #55
Santa-Mike
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Santa-Mike
WoW...

all i gotta say is I hope everyone took the time to stand on a rail... or go on the overpass to see the crowd once it got dark...

holy shit there were alot of people...
didn't really clue in when they said how many...

from any office or hotel room around there they must have seen something amazing...
i wish i had rented a room in the hotel across the street and set up a camera in the dark point down towards to square... just to see the crowd grow... super speed it up and send it to the media so they can show it on tv... and when the tapes go out the label would read...

Who's better than the Toronto Rave Scene?
NOOOBODY!

HAHAHA

I had a wikked time... saw some people uder the influence... but no one was fuct... i see high people like that one the street walking around... and i saw alot of people who are fuct 24-7 (not the best life) SOBER!
I was like WFT... good for them, and great for us!

only one dj didn't blow my mind... and i don't remember who... was too busy seeing everyone! damn

i hurt my back and popped my leg out of it's socket... ouch! but! i had my whine and went out and broke it down as much as possible for the last 15-20 minutes...

~ mike ~

BTW... if you didn't see the breakers circle, you didn't see the rally...
HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!
Old August 2nd, 2000, 11:50 AM   #56
*Myrana*
Hullaboarder

Photos: 6  Users Photo Gallery
honestly, I'm sorry but I really didn't enjoy myself. I left at around 8:00.
Old August 2nd, 2000, 12:21 PM   #57
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

last nite was one of the best nites of my entire life. ever.

some favourite moments:

1. seeing the crowd go INSANE when bad boy bill took the stage. the crowd was HYPE the whole nite!

2. THOUSANDS of people in nathan phillips square singing along to HAPPY HARDCORE! oh man, we have it all on tape. maybe we should make a video. (wicked job frolic and "mc john smith" . it wouldn't have been the same without the hulla crew front and center.)

3. hearing the ROAR from the crowd when the skydancers went up.

4. barbara hall's moving speech. same for olivia chow, amber-leigh, allan young, rinaldo walcott, etc ...

5. lyta crew! all i can say is ho-lee shit!

6. ed rush & matrix with mcs fearless and flipside. WOW! what a way to end the nite.

7. seeing everyone in the crowd picking up trash! the square was SPOTLESS within 15 minutes!

8. dr. trance and mc flipside ending the nite with PEACE LOVE UNITY RESPECT. i saw a couple of people *crying* at the end.

9. seeing some friends from high school who showed up to support.

10. looking up and seeing the mayor and several councillors watching from city hall.

11. presenting flipside's birthday cake at the after-party.

ahhhhh ... can't think. i'm sure i'll have more to add later.

fyi, the *official* attendance estimate (from the nathan phillips square special events coordinator) is over 15,000 at the peak and approx 20,000 to 25,000 throughout the evening.

Klubmasta Will
Old August 2nd, 2000, 12:34 PM   #58
dieznyik
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to dieznyik
Question

that was an experience to remember...

general comments no one is going to care about but that i feel like sharing anyways:

1) bad music. the only point at which i got into things was for about 30 seconds in miss honey dijon's set when he/she/it dropped the puppet track... then yeah, 30 seconds later some vocals waft in on a pungent sonic raft. oh steenky cheeze lordy! i wish i had stayed for matrix/mute but i had to run... i'm sure i would have enjoyed that at least!

2) "a supercity deserves a supermodel" -- whats with all the drag queens? heheh... or whatever...

3) the mobile noise-maker... i didn't get to beat on no drums, but that's a phat ride!

4) the elevated path was fun to walk along... got a great view of things from up there... i'm sure it was better across the street in a hotel but oh well!

5) many many many "that's why pregnant mothers shouldn't smoke crack" moments! not to mention the multitude of "now would be a good time for paladin to walk on stage and just BITCHSLAP the dj and put some good music on" moments. haha... no disrespect to your style if thats your thing... i just personally found it all pretty boring. if a rally is supposed to hype you up, why would you put on boring repetative music? a lot of the tunes would have been better suited for a weeknight out at a club if you know what i mean. loafting!

6) sonic pinball. there were all these spots you could stand in where you could hear a beat bounce around like a pinball. fucked up sound system, but what can you do with all that space? boing! boing! boing!

7) masses of people! i really HATE being crowded into a little venue with hordes of people... but i do rather enjoy the experience of being a part of something BIG when its outdoors and you still have space... plus the novelty of being 2 mins from work right down at NPS sure helped. fucked up moose in the lake there... wtf?

8) those funny signs with the hard-hitting political slogans! "raves are nice" is certainly going to alter the choices of some indecisive council members.

9) all the reunions... holy people i haven't seen for years! that was nice... every 5 steps i'd bump into someone else...

10) cops with big grins. sparing the obvious ecstasy related comments, it is nice to see.

anyway, werdup to the one guy that i met and had any significant conversation with [mindgrinder]... shoutouts to all the people i saw... and it may just have been YOU since i saw so many hboarders that i haven't met but know from those lame picture threads... you are being watched! muahaha..
Old August 2nd, 2000, 01:34 PM   #59
PaRtYKiD!
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to PaRtYKiD!
Its difficult to try to sum up in words the events of last night.

In the face of persecution and exile, we all stood together. For once in our history there were no barriers, no clashing of crews, no pathetic attitudes on who is better or what genre reigns surpreme.

We were there to party and to send a message.

And my god, what a message we did send.

We gathered together to send a message. A political message. Imagine that, partykids being political. To think that it was only a few months ago that you could ask the average citizen on what a rave was and they would draw blanks. We have been pushed into the mainstream and crucified on our beliefs. Yesterdays was the day to fight back. Banded together we partied with grace and dignity and showed the world it was our right to party.

There are no ifs ands or buts about it,

Last night was the most significant event in Toronto party history.

The actual event itself was masterful. Over 15,000 came to support our cause. Oldskewl and new, the young and the old, from all walks of life. We were united.

Ill sum up my entire night in one brief story.

I stood on stage for Miss Honey Dijon's set and peered out into the endless crowd. I saw smiles and enthusiasm that were unmatched by anything I had ever seen before with my 4 years in the scene. To think that we had all banded together in such numbers to support our culture was enough to run shivers down my spine, something that doesn't happen at the drop of a hat. I couldn't help but to stretch a childish grin across my face after seeing what we had accomplished.

All in all, I don't think it could of been a better event. From the music to the people, to the venue and the amount achieved. We were, for one day, a united family. And for that I will ever be graceful.

So in conclusion ill give this event a perfect rating, something I have never done before in my 2 years of writing reviews for parties. But then again, it was a night where many barriers were broken down.

PaRtYKiD's rating 10/10

PaRtYKiD
Corey
Old August 2nd, 2000, 01:41 PM   #60
Syphon
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Syphon
*looks up*

damn straight.. 10/10 for sure.... That was possibly the best party I have ever been to... I really don't know what to say other than that it was great... The Best Set of the Night Award goes to..... Derek Carter(sp?).... I truly enjoyed Ed Rush and Matrix, and I dont even like jungle... just something about the atmosphere that got me into it... Ok, well anyways, this was an incredible event, I hope that it pays off...

Jeff
Old August 2nd, 2000, 01:59 PM   #61
Lace
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Lace
Unhappy

Couldn't make it up from Detroit for the Rally From the sounds of things I missed an extraordinary evening!! Way to go, TO!

Anyone know if I can still get a copy of the CD, or could someone burn one for me, pretty please?

Will-I definetly think a video should be made, not only for the people who attended, but for those of us who could not. At least, maybe you could let me see the footage sometime!

Sorry I missed such an historic event, happy to see that it was amazing!

*hugs and smooches*
Lace
Old August 2nd, 2000, 02:30 PM   #62
Tigger Lily
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Tigger Lily
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TraNceAhoLic:
some of u need to lay off the jib and start snorting lines of valium or something......

Later,
Brian
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahahahahah!!! so damn true!
some people REALLY need to lighten up!

it was an awsome event!
i had SO much fun and am glad that i didnt see tonnes of screwed up kids puking on themselves or anything silly like that. There was a great vibe and i am glad to see that there was a huge turnout.
that was kickass!

Tigger!
Old August 2nd, 2000, 02:37 PM   #63
Flexxy
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Flexxy
dayum that was the shit!
i had sucj an amazing time!
and bad boy bill has to come back to toronto more often
Old August 2nd, 2000, 03:43 PM   #64
Birdiq_E
Hullaboarder

Arrow

It was an amazing event, I think my faorite part was probably right at the beginning of Ed Rush and Matrix's set when the people first put up the lytas, i was looking at the main crowd from afar and seeing thousands of lighters just sent shivers down my spine, and Ed Rush and Matrix w/fearless threw down a nice yet short set, i enjoyed it alot.

that's pretty much my piece, lets just hope that it made a difference

peace

Terry
Old August 2nd, 2000, 04:14 PM   #65
Roches
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Roches Send a message via MSN to Roches
ok...

well thanks ravers for not fuckin up as bad as i thought you would.

not much left to say... but...
favorite i-dance quote:
there's so many plastic people in the scene - random person

favorite i-dance media quote:
veteran raver who has attended at least 30 parties
Old August 2nd, 2000, 04:23 PM   #66
DIGITAL_EUPHORIA
Hullaboarder

sketchlobster you always have something negative to say!!!!!! the people that were dancing in the pool were just having fun and i don't believe anyone gave 2 shits about it!!! the police officers probably just looked and laughed and that's it!!!

latah
Old August 2nd, 2000, 04:45 PM   #67
Kornflake~Girl
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Kornflake~Girl
By the End of BBB, my chop-sticks were falling out and it didn't seem to bother me at the least I really wish I came better dressed for the whole thing, but alas- tuesday is washing day in my house

I do agree, the sound was pretty low and the speaker set up was much like ping-pong, but after walking around and getting a feel for the place I discovered that if the speakers were set up like the way they should have been they would start to shake the windows of City hall near by.

dieznyik- *points out that that puppet song will someday be my future ambition in the work force- sitting around mixing and cutting and calling up people *

The one bad incident that I'm trully trully sorry for is playing frizbee. Half way into our game I tossed it and knocked some kid in the back of the head. It was funny, but I felt bad.

The music was alright, Kenny G only for 20 min?????? WTH???? I just startted to jump and hop when he started to stop. Besides that I wont really go into the music that much- I was more there for the Rally then to see any DJ's, Kenny G and BBB would have been my only choices, but every DJ that spun did great.

As soon as I got there, I knew that Ravers would be dancing in that pool before the end of the event. There was this little kid splashing around before the Rally just livin' it up having a good time and in that heat I figure he had the right idea.

For the few that remained around 11 there were a few kids with drums kickin' it in the evening's night. That will always be my final memory of Idance... leaving and still hearing the beat continue in the distance.
Old August 2nd, 2000, 04:45 PM   #68
Preskool
Hullaboarder

Photos: 26  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Preskool Send a message via AIM to Preskool Send a message via MSN to Preskool Send a message via Yahoo to Preskool
id just like to say that i had fun while it lasted, and until i saw ppl pushing fuckin drugs

i know its about the music, cause i mean if i wanted to do drugs i could do them at home, i dont have to wait till 2am on a sat at a party to do fuckin drugs

it was great seeing everyone i haddent seen in forever!

metting ppl ive been waiting to meet for the longest time was great aswell!

wow fun (im serious)

thanx guys!

-=Erynn=-

Old August 2nd, 2000, 04:46 PM   #69
d-MiNuS
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to d-MiNuS
Cool

Hrm... well personally i thought I-dance was wikked!

It was nice to see so many people having fun... everyone dancing, chilling, chatting and relaxing.. on a tuesday aftern00n t0o!

Jumping Jack was wikked (i havent said that in a while hehe)... Fearless was d0pe, i dont care what people say, he is one jungle mc that has evolved with the scene...

Anabolic was great, it was nice seeing chris and john having a blast hyping up the crowd!

ummm Honey Dijon was really gewd.. i liked h0w she started off with destiny's child vocals and added that house beat.. really kwl!

hrmm the last dj I heard b4 i left was Bad Boy Bill, personally i thought he had the best set of the night... i kn0w technically he wasnt that great.. but i thought the majority of his track selection was sick..

0o00o0h well
I hope this event becomes a annual thing.. it would be great for the scene, and just a fun thing for everyone to attend....

*d-MiNuS*

p.s. milk shakes from a icecream truck suck!

Old August 2nd, 2000, 04:57 PM   #70
The~Guy~On~The~Couch
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to The~Guy~On~The~Couch
1. I enjoyed myself imensely last night, I've always wondered about and hoped for a mostly sober party and I finally got to experiance it. I lost everyone I came with in about an hour or so of being there but ended up running into so many people that I haven't seen in so long.
All in all great party, could have used a bit more energetic music but I'm not gonna complain about that.

and 2. Dr. Trance should be a baseball anouncer, he has the perfect voice for it.

Oliver
The Guy
Old August 2nd, 2000, 05:03 PM   #71
~Lesslyn~
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to ~Lesslyn~ Send a message via MSN to ~Lesslyn~
What a party! So much fun, and I saw soo many people i hadn't seen in forever! The aftreparty would have been great, if I wasn't so tired, so i left early but it looked like a great party! Missed all of the sets I wanted to see cause they were on too late or in the licensed area, but i got a wristband later from a friend and was happy about that! It was so amazing to see 15,000 people in Nathan Philips dancing away and having a good time, primarily without the use of drugs! yeah for us!

~Leslie~
Old August 2nd, 2000, 05:06 PM   #72
dea
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to dea
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SketchLobster:

Was I the ONLY ONE that found the morons in the fountains inconsiderate jackasses?!?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know I must admit... for once I kinda agree with ya Jay.

You see as ussual I spent the whole night barefoot last night, and my feet were getting really sore after like the 5th hour of being in TO... and several times I sorta dipped my feet in, just because it felt so good. But I never went in the fountain and good did I want to. Several times I thought it was pretty cool that everyone had staied out... course there was a ton of garbage, and what I really would have liked to have seen would have been people in the fountain picking it up. None the less I staied out of the fountain, cause there was a sign. And reagardless that on a normal day I don't think I would have listened to that sign, I new that yesterday I had a good reason too.

Kate
Old August 2nd, 2000, 05:13 PM   #73
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The~Guy~On~The~Couch:

and 2. Dr. Trance should be a baseball anouncer, he has the perfect voice for it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He IS the voice of TSN. Listen to any of their ad promos. It's Don (dr trance).
Old August 2nd, 2000, 05:19 PM   #74
anime
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to anime
i thought the turn out was great, it was really well organized and all the people who volunteered their time and services to helpout deserve a massive thankyou from all of us
i was really happy to see so many people out there supporting such an amazing event, but i think some people needed to be reminded to leave the drugs at home...oh well, overall i thought it was fabulous and i am proud that i was a part of an event that i know will be an important part of music history
once again
madd ~respect~ to all those that helped put it all together
Old August 2nd, 2000, 05:21 PM   #75
anime
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to anime
i thought the turn out was great, it was really well organized and all the people who volunteered their time and services to helpout deserve a massive thankyou from all of us
i was really happy to see so many people out there supporting such an amazing event, but i think some people needed to be reminded to leave the drugs at home...oh well, overall i thought it was fabulous and i am proud that i was a part of an event that i know will be an important part of music history
once again
madd ~respect~ to all those that helped put it all together