Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old April 30th, 2001, 01:15 PM   #26
FluKex
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to FluKex
My mom always lent me the car before I got my own!

so I dont think she minds.. just just prefers I be home before 8 so she can use her car in the morning.

FluKex
http://www.flukex.com
FluKex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2001, 01:55 PM   #27
Jibbernaut
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Jibbernaut
Quote:
Originally posted by DreameChilde
I'm 22, in university, have a car, a job, and a dog. If my mom didn't let me party I'd be pretty pissed

I guess i should be pissed then eH?

Jibbernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:57 PM   #28
ecstasy riot
I'm special

???
ecstasy riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:39 PM   #29
Ford Prefect
Hullaboarder

My parents found out that I party two years ago- despite my arguments they threatened me that they would stop supporting me in school if I went to another rave. (Thanx to the media promoting raves as "drug and gun infested sex orgies")

Basically their philosophy is that I can live my own life, so long as I'm fully independent. But so long as they are paying for my schooling I have to "do what they say or else"

I guess the right thing to do would be to start supporting myself and quit the "what they don't know won't hurt them" bullshit but I'm lazy.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2001, 10:54 AM   #30
ScottEE 2 HottEE
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to ScottEE 2 HottEE Send a message via MSN to ScottEE 2 HottEE
Quote:
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
My mom knew I went to raves when I went to my first one at the tender and impressionable age of 15. (94 or 95 I think?)

She didn't know all that went on, but she knew where I was.

Pete

hahaha, got any pics Pete?

I just can't picture what you would look like at the age of 15... don't tell me.......... candy kid?

haha

Yeah, my parents know I party. My mom doesn't really like the idea of me going to them but I don't think she really care's that much as long as I'm "careful". My dad doesn't care at all. He gives me his car so I can go to them. He likes seeing the pics afterwards. He says they look like fun

The topic of drugs has never been brought up though.
ScottEE 2 HottEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2001, 09:15 PM   #31
~*~pRiNcEsS juLiA~*~
Hullaboarder

Red face pArEnTz

welll welll welll..i was wonderin when id find a forum like this.. Hmmm.. my first partie was only a short time ago (oct 7- funtopia 3) and it was the day after i got outta the hospital..because i o.d'd and was in the hospital fer a weekk...

And then i took off on the saturday morn, leavin my parents only a note saying i was "skippin town fer the weekend & goin' to figure some shit out" (exact werds)

anywayzz...they found out!! i dont know how!! but they did. pArEnTz kNoW eVeRyThInG! <- they're psychic

Neways..after a lot of fitein..i'm allowed to partie..but i can only go to one a month..meh! i can barely even afford that!!!
'tiz all good!!!!

Love

LiVe LiFe... duNt LeT LiFe LiVe yEw
~*~pRiNcEsS juLiA~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2001, 06:33 PM   #32
Kid Kandy
Hullaboarder

Well i have only been partyin for a short time, and its not like im out every weekend so my parents dont really care. I was at the hulla where the guy got stabbed , so my mom is more afraid of something like that happening then the drugs. I just dont mention the drug use, and she doesnt ask. I doubt she knows i do them. I just tell her that there is usually a way more thorough check at a party then at a club. So there is a better chance of something bad happening at a club over a rave.
Old May 21st, 2001, 08:35 PM   #33
DJ smoot
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DJ smoot Send a message via AIM to DJ smoot
if my child had grammar/spelling as bad as yours, i would not just let him/her party, i would lock him/her up in a room with an english teacher

im 20

parents are powerless

im driving to TO this weekend

elena
DJ smoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2001, 02:36 PM   #34
DJ-SK8
Hullaboarder

Cool

personoly my perents don't know I party, and they still wont for another year!
But then again my parents never realy took time to get to know there kids.
lates Alan
DJ-SK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2001, 04:19 PM   #35
Brandon
Hullaboarder

Well, I'm 23, I don't live with my parents and I'm married, so if my parents wouldn't let me party I'd be pretty upset!

Seriously though, when I first started getting interested in the rave scene (1993) my parents were pretty much against the whole thing, I think they had seen that 90210 'rave' episode or something and already figured that after-hours events were drug and booze havens. So I played it cool and kept things on the downlow.

I only got 'busted' once as I was trying to leave for Syrous' "Total Recall," an event for which I already had a ticket. I tried for about twenty minutes to explain to my mom about the event and what it was and where I would be and who I would be with, but my mom didn't buy it. Since it was my parent's wheels I would be using to get there, it was a no go. I still have the blasted ticket.

My parents pretty much let me do anything ELSE I wanted, including staying out late, so I figure one little thing wasn't too much for them to ask.

Once I was 18 though it was a lot easier to get away with it, although my parents didn't like the idea of me being in 'those kinds of places' it wasn't like they were going to stop me.

I partied all the way through University and my marks were good, so my parents couldn't complain about my late-night habits. Since my wife (then my girlfriend) was just as into partying as I was, there was no pressure to stay out of the scene.

I appreciate now that my parents were trying to look out for me while I was still young and impressionable, although since I didn't use drugs I thought some of their fears were unfounded. But oh well, I've more than made up for the parties I missed from ages 16-18.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2001, 08:02 PM   #36
~*BabEE BuTteRfLy*~
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to ~*BabEE BuTteRfLy*~
I've always been allowed to party.. my parents are pretty cool.. when i first started partying i was 15 and they're just told me to have fun.. they know i don't do any drugs ... but also i've never really had any "rules".... and haven't had a curfew since i was 14 ... that's mainly because i do good in skool and my parents know i'm responsible..
i think parents should just let their kids party cuz they're gonna go anyways... and they can't use the drug excuse cuz u can get drugs anywhere.. skool, park, mall, mcdonalds drive thru..
whatever..
it's whack..
=kate=
~*BabEE BuTteRfLy*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2001, 03:07 PM   #37
Dj Borg
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Dj Borg
When I was a teen my parents wouldn't let me do anything! That included getting a car and I lived in the country! My closest friend lived 20 mins away by car and they wouldn't let me have the car most times to go. I have asked them why they did that recently and they said once I turned 14 I started to scare them and they wanted to keep me under control. I've never told them but did that backfire! LOL

Once I turned 16 and got my licence everything I told them was a lie. They were never told what I was really doing! I learned that if you told the truth you would probably be told no. If they went away for a week I would cash-in on the oportunity and take the car everywhere with the speedo disconnected (I blew the cooling system once going over 100 mph). I rigged my window so I could open it from the outside so I could sneak out every weekend. It got to the point that it became a game to me to do stuff and get away with it. We stole cars and broke into our school, did anything we wanted to. Thank god I didn't get into drugs or drink a lot. There was a lot more pressure back then to not do drugs than there is now, believe it or not! I didn't start smoking a lot of pot until college. I never tried E until '99! I think if I had started booze, pot and E when I was 16 I would be in bad shape now.

Now I face a new dilema as I am married and have a son. I still like to party when I can find time but my wife basically forbids it. The last party I was at was WEMF and I am still hearing about it. Even my mother-in-law has words for me she calls WEMF the 3 day orgy! My wife does not listen to electronic music and therefore does not "get it". I don't really get what she is so afraid of. I have been with her for 13 years (since grade 10) and have never cheated on her. She says it's dangerous but that makes no sense since I have been racing motocross for over 10 years and she has been to a lot of hospitals with me. I'm not the safest person I know!

I think the way that the media portrays raves and the electronic music scene is criminal and it makes my life difficult because when there is a special on the news about E or the dangers at raves I always get dirty looks from my wife and she feels justified in giving me a hard time about going out.

*is anybody shedding tears for me yet?*

I don't know what I'm going to do when my boy becomes a teen. Probably fuck it up because I've done (am doing) everthing he will have an oportunity to do himself one day.

Just a final note. I have never seen as many drugs anywhere in my life as I did at WEMF! My parents would never have let me go to a rave and I am suprised some kids parents drive their kids to these things! However I have been to a lot of festivals and if it's not drugs it's violence or stampeding crowds or heat stroke and dehydration (due to the $5 a litre charges for water) or stage diving or moshing.

You think it's tough not getting your way when you are a teen? Wait til you are older, there are a lot more people to tell you what to do as you age! And it pisses you off a lot more than it did back then.

*feel free to poke fun at the old guy now.

bye
Old July 30th, 2001, 03:26 PM   #38
pink pixie
Hullanewbie

~* mi parents dont know i go to parties and im glad they dont, cuz if they did they'd lock me up and throw away the key (damn overly protective parents). I just tell em im sleepin at a friends.*~
KrIsSY
pink pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2001, 12:36 AM   #39
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
My parents trusted me to make the right decision. Just that kind of pre-party guilt trip that kept me on the straight and narrow.

I can still argue rave politics with my parents, and they don't take Julian Fantino's side... (actually, my conservative right wing father was the first one to call him a Nazi!)

Anyway, yeah, they knew.

And there was nothing they could do about it.

So they did nothing.

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Everybodies_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2001, 01:46 PM   #40
DV8
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DV8
Talking What a topic

Alright kiddies heres the scoop...

If your parents don't let you go, and your under the age of majority for legal decision making in your respective province and/or state, then they ultimately have the last word on it. They must have reasons for not wanting you to go, and you can obviously argue them to death, but whats teh point those that really want to go go anyways. Now this is where i disagree with everyone who sneaks out to go partying. What the fuck are you doing?!?

You're snaeking out, or going somewhere other then where you said you going, what if something happened to you, any number of things can happen givent he way the parties operate these days, you could be drugged, mugged, left without a way home, have an emergency, or your parents could have an emergency and you wouldnt be able to be found becuase you snuck out to go to some party. It's all about responsibility, and everyone i know always says that partying is a great responsiblity, but how is it responsible to lie to your parents and go anyways... god i must sound like somebodies father...

When i decided Iwanted to start partying at 16 I was told I wasnt allowed to go at first... sure I fell into the same traps of sneaking out, but I was all 'op it wont happen to me, i'm careful.' That attitude got me into shit loads of trouble, Iw as tranded twice at party locations, had a friend get really sick and nobody else was there that wanted to leave to drive her home. So I started dropping little hints to my mom about how I was 16 and should be allowed to have extra responsibilities surrounding my life. I told her about sneaking in and out of the house, and told her that I would continue to do so, but I would rather she know where I was and thats why i was telling this.

Given that option she knew that to be responsible was to have the person responsible for yourl ife know where youa re all night, she agreed to let me continue going as long as she knew where it was going to be held.

Now I'm 19 and heavily involved with the party scene, i dj, own a production company, am interviewed for articles on parties. And nothing could be better, I live on my own as well now, so I have everything to do myself, responsibility is a huge thing to burden, earn it, and you get the respect you deserve and the freedom you crave...

So get over it all already
Old September 22nd, 2001, 04:54 PM   #41
HEATER
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to HEATER
I live on my own and can do anything I want

Both my parents know, but they both trust me and don't really care

I think my mom worries about me sometimes but she's worried about me since i was 10 and I've always come out fine.

My dad thinks it cool. He wishes he was 30 years younger. He always gets me to bring pictures when I go over.

My family has way too many serious issues than to worry about me going to raves.

<------Whole family is crazy

HEATER OUT
HEATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2001, 09:05 PM   #42
RoB-B
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to RoB-B
i live on my own now so i can do whatever i want

but when i did live at home....my parents never knew

of all the parties ive been to they have no idea that i even know what a rave is

ive covered it up good, and im glad, its for the best, and i dont think i will ever tell them

and its working out fine this way

cept i did a fair amount of lying, but for the best
RoB-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2001, 09:16 PM   #43
RoB-B
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to RoB-B
Quote:
Originally posted by d0pEy
my parents suck..
they wont let me party, and the whole being persistent thing got me no-where....
all that going to a party no matter what they said earned me was, when i got back the next morning they said go to another party and you're out on your ass
any suggestions??
icq me...

go to a party
tell them
let them kick you out, just be prepared, have a tent ready and some food and some money saved up and camp outside on the sidewalk infront of your house untill hopefully they get embarressed and take you back in
RoB-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2001, 04:40 PM   #44
*sExsiE bonKa*
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to *sExsiE bonKa*
Talking **ummmmmmmmm**

partiEs rule...
yes my parents know
they first wouldnt even DREAM of me going to a partiE...their little
Bianca, out there in "heavily drug infested techno moshpit" in the wee hours of the day. i finally got them to let me go to an ascension, the first one, but i was literally on the porch screaming that IT JUST WASN"T FAIR!!! NOTHING IS GUNNA HAPPEN!!! I'LL BE WITH 5 LARGER OLDER GUYS DONT WERRIE PLEASE!!!!!!!!
and a few gallons of tears later they buckled and said fine but i had to call every hour.....hell i'd rather go and call every hour then not go at all!!
anyways, it ruled and since then it still kinda buggs them, my mom is always reminding me that if i ever wanted to leave early she'll be MORE then glad to come get me...........parents
Old November 3rd, 2001, 02:40 AM   #45
Rainbow Brit-E
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Brit-E
Quote:
Originally posted by BottledCaps
By first looking at this list, you'd think that most ppl's parents let thier kids party, but thats probably only because only the people who are allowed to go out are posting.
..but about myself, yeah my parents allow me to go. But then again, i might move out this summer so going to party should not be a big deal at this point. As for the drugs? I haven't used any hard drugs for a bit over a year, but they actually don't know about it. But they definetly wouldn't be happy about it.

BottledCRap

I sorta agree... it's like the only ppl posting are sober ravers who parents agree... but thats great for them
I've gone sober but to be honest I do sober less then I don't. My mom didn't know when I started way back in the day (4yrs ago) and didn't care much when I told her as long as she knew the details... but when it started to have media coverage she cared A LOT more..... and the drugs I can't bring myself to tell her 'cuz she wouldn't understand
Old November 3rd, 2001, 03:37 AM   #46
§hôrTi£
Hullanewbie

Send a message via ICQ to §hôrTi£ Send a message via Yahoo to §hôrTi£
my mumsiey dosnt know i rave..and shes not gonna know for a long time!!...ive tryed talking to her about it b4 but she always gives the same response>No. i think her negative response has to do with me being up in the big city where anything could go wrong but hey what can ya do...i'll eventually tell her when i get older but for now im content with going to toronto and not have my mom up worrying about me all night like she would be doing if i told her i were going to a party. ))
Old November 12th, 2001, 12:30 PM   #47
MrGuv (Mathiau)
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via AIM to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via MSN to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via Yahoo to MrGuv (Mathiau)
i party, my parents did, my dad used to do hash in front of me, but if i touch drugs i am dead, well kiss my ass!!

@ first my mom didn't trust me, i would sneak out, smoke a J, come in go right to my room, my mom wouldn't come down to check on me, she knew.

Eventually i would just go out, tell her when i would be home, and she trusts my judgement, my sister was hell, all the old skool raves, she did it all, acid, E, everything, so my mom knows that i will prob do the same, but she raised us well enough that we won't over do it, and can smart'n up real quick if need be.

I think the more open u are with your parents the better it works out, instead of this revolting crap, that just pisses everyone off.
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© They know what is what, but they don't know what is what........ they just strut..... WTF! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© Life ain't short, your just dead for too frick'n dam long! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
MrGuv (Mathiau) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2001, 12:58 AM   #48
CandyGirl23
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to CandyGirl23 Send a message via MSN to CandyGirl23
It's weird, I am 20, live on my own, but am still supported by my mother so I can't let her know I party or on very few occasions use fun substances. She works in the worst part of the city, believes everything she reads in the paper or sees on the news, and thinks raves are evil, dangerous all night dance parties that breed nothing but kids fucked up on drugs. If I told her that was what I attended every weekend, or as often as I could, she'd have my head and stop supporting me (and I definitely need her help to get through college!) I do tell her that when I go out all night it's dancing to electronic music and that I'm having a good time without drinking alcohol (cuz she always worries about underage drinking at clubs) It is sad the way the media has destroyed the image of raves, but sometimes it is best just not to tell your parents the whole truth. It stinks, but I know I'm not the only one with that situation... maybe someday when she isn't paying my bills I will let her know what I've been up to all these years, if she hasn't put 2 + 2 together yet...
CandyGirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2001, 12:23 AM   #49
BeckyBoo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to BeckyBoo
if i was a parent i dont think id want my kids going to raves.

however i wouldnt stop them because then theyd just sneak to one and i wouldnt know where they were.

i cant blame parents for not wanting their kids to go to raves, drugs, stabbings, drugs, ods, all they have to go on is what they see on the news... which is never good.

I guess if you have a semi good open relationship with your parents, you could try and let them read some PRO rave articles.
there have been a lot of really well written ones out there. maybe talk to them about plur, if they used to be hippies they might dig it?

bwahahha

BECKY
BeckyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2001, 12:29 AM   #50
BeckyBoo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to BeckyBoo
oh yah i went to my 1st party when i was 15 but i didn't tell my parents in fear they would say no.

but then i told them before i went again, and they had no problem with it because i was insanely straight edge @ the time so they know i don't do drugs.

bbbbbecky
BeckyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote