User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old October 23rd, 2001, 09:08 PM   #26
DJ smoot
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DJ smoot Send a message via AIM to DJ smoot
ive said it before, and ill say it again

we have ticket prices upwards of $30 for 500 people venue/local headliner/ghetto location/NO RUNNING WATER or any other convenience.

and people still pay

if anything, ask for donations, those who care will help you out

elena
DJ smoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2001, 09:11 PM   #27
societies_devil
Hullaboarder

on the topic of no venues available (yes i know this topic has been raped to death with endless circles of the same suggestions)...

what ever happened to that supposed steel mill that THR planned on using for...gatekeeper II ...(i think) but it ended up getting moved to x-it the day of the party?
societies_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2001, 09:14 PM   #28
SPiNDLE
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to SPiNDLE
Like I said, the future of partying should be in regular clubs.

If not, TRY other cities outside of TO.

There's this place in Brampton called Raxx. It used to be an old Zellers. Now it's a massif pool-hall. When I was there, I thought of how good it could be to throw a party there.

Try scoping out other places like The Arrow in Missisauga (suggested by Kornflake Gurl said... lotsa places in Sauga.
Old October 23rd, 2001, 09:50 PM   #29
stargurl

Send a message via ICQ to stargurl
Dan, I'm going to have to disagree with you here.

You can't throw parties in Peel (Brampton, Missauga, Caledon) anymore. This led to the loss of some good venues. I believe there have also been problems with the city of Hamilton. Also, how would you propose to get people there and back? Shuttle busses would be expensive and difficult to organize for a trip like that, plus I remember hearing that a lot of the bus companies will no longer deal with raves.

Finding friends/ravers with skills may work for smaller parties, but it isn't feasible for an event of this scale. I believe there are legal requirements for what can/can't be used for barricades.

Hulla wouldn't be hulla without foreign headliners. It would be... any other party. Flyer kids are paid these days, and glossy flyers are what grab attention. I've always received whistles and goodies from the friendship crew at Hulla parties.

And it just wouldn't be Hulla! without the laser

there really isn't much room to cut anything back.

[Oh, and I grew up next to where that Raxx now is]
stargurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2001, 09:51 PM   #30
laughtrax
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to laughtrax
Vidman offered a lot of sensible solutions earlier, please pay attention to them.

matt

p.s. Dan I'm backing you up here, that means start throwing parties again please!!
laughtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2001, 09:51 PM   #31
9oh5 kick
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to 9oh5 kick Send a message via AIM to 9oh5 kick
Thumbs up support

i know it has been said, but i would definately pay the price increase...i would rather go to 1 mindblowing party that cost $50 or $60 than 3 medeocre ones that cost $15 or $20. and like wolf said, its all about the advertisement. if you started promoting a party now, for next spring, it would give kids time to save up...
and another thing....why not set up your own ticket line... on the hulla site, and set up some sort of hotline....i know that costs $ too, but prolly way less than ticketmaster surcharges and other bullshit.

i would definately put my money where my mouth is!

ps see you all nov 10!
Old October 23rd, 2001, 09:56 PM   #32
9oh5 kick
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to 9oh5 kick Send a message via AIM to 9oh5 kick
oh yeah

i just thought of anotha idea......what about hulla-wear? you could make cash off selling hulla-hoodies n stuff.......just trying to help out

[SaVe ThE rAvE]

blair
9oh5 kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2001, 10:13 PM   #33
kisco kid
Hullaboarder

what about the durham area theres lots of big places that could be used
durham is close to the city,just on the east side

now i dont know about policly on areas but there are so many that are not in use over the summer

and its not part of toronto so some laws must be different

-rich
kisco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2001, 10:55 PM   #34
NuERA
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to NuERA
there is alot that needs to be figured out/discussed, which why this is out in the open.
Old October 23rd, 2001, 11:19 PM   #35
Jibbernaut
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Jibbernaut
I'd pay.

I wouldn't like it, but I'd pay. I miss insanely, huge parties with multiple headliners and thousands of people.
Jibbernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2001, 11:22 PM   #36
[PRCÖ]
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to [PRCÖ] Send a message via Yahoo to [PRCÖ]
I don't think that many people would pay the big bucks to see the same old DJ's at the same old venue..

I think new talent is needed somone who hasn't been yet to Toronot but is big every where else. Definetly a new wenue is needed couse I know a lot of people who refuse to go near the Docks..

Vidman had some prity good point.

I also tend to agree with people who sugest to have the party somwehre other then TO .. I mean I love driving to some remote place out side of the city..

PRCO
[PRCÖ] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2001, 11:33 PM   #37
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
Fcuk paying flyer kids. I'm sure that you have enough friends and followers that you could trade a couple Sunday mornings for free entry to the party.

I know I would if I still lived in town.

Get peeps to flyer inside parties for you... remember back when there used to be flyers on top of the urinals and everything?

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Everybodies_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2001, 11:35 PM   #38
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
I'd rather pay $40 fora big party with headliners at the docks than $25 for a small one at the opera house.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2001, 11:38 PM   #39
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
Quote:
Originally posted by Vidman

printing tickets - go cheapest. screw glossy & fancy.. they're just gonna be ripped anyway

Wouldnt you loose money because of forgery if you did that?
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 12:02 AM   #40
Jibbernaut
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Jibbernaut
If you raise ticket prices, it will be tough competing with clubs such as Syrous Sessions at Turbo every friday, and Milanos on Sundays (for jungle anyways).

How can you fight against payin $5-$15 for being able to see NEW headliners?

But, if you do as you say, and get a general concensus among all promoters, i can see it working. It'll kinda be like gas prices though where prices are the same, and high, all the time.

BOO.
Jibbernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 01:00 AM   #41
Rainbow Brit-E
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Brit-E
Save the Raves

I don't think clubs are even on the same level as Hulla's and how about the under age people? They can't go to Turbo etc....
And Chris has said before he doesn't want to move the party outside of TO 'cuz it's so central and it's where everyone is.... I guess 'sauga and metro TO areas are diffrent but u can't go too far.
It's up to us to guys... send this thread around on local boards u hang out on.... get reactions from everyone, talk to your friends... everyone on here seem like they would pay so hopefully that will be the consensus.
I think the big parties make the memories (so do the small but it's not the same). Most of us remember our 1st huge party and it's nice to give new ravers the same memories.
$40 isn't bad, u wouldn't need like 3 months to save, I say one pay period would do it if u tried.... just put some $$ (5 bucks here and there) in a 'rave' or 'weekend' account and it will add up!
We can't rely on just the promoter sto do this for us, we need to help out and keep our scene alive!

P.S. <-------- Would also like to see Big Destiny's back!!!!
Old October 24th, 2001, 01:28 AM   #42
Wunderbrat
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Wunderbrat
I got a big economics mid term tomorrow
and if anythign I"m studying can be used in real life
then consider this theory
because supply (of big parties) has been so low
people should be willing to spend more money for an additional unit (a big hulla)
so perhaps the reason why everyone was so against spending $40 - $50 on a ticket before was because of competition flooding the market (liquid adrenaline, syrous, dose, destiny etc)

Rick
Wunderbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 02:10 AM   #43
Kornflake~Girl
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Kornflake~Girl
Quote:
Originally posted by [PRCÖ]
I don't think that many people would pay the big bucks to see the same old DJ's at the same old venue..

I think new talent is needed somone who hasn't been yet to Toronot but is big every where else. Definetly a new wenue is needed couse I know a lot of people who refuse to go near the Docks..

Vidman had some prity good point.

I also tend to agree with people who sugest to have the party somwehre other then TO .. I mean I love driving to some remote place out side of the city..

PRCO

I agree with this post only because it has fresh new BIZZzare ways of thinking that is just too crazy it might work.

uuhhhmmm...
Old October 24th, 2001, 02:25 AM   #44
bowzer
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to bowzer
Re: oh yeah

Quote:
Originally posted by 9oh5 kick
what about hulla-wear? you could make cash off selling hulla-hoodies n stuff.
i'd definatly sport a hullahoodie
bowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 02:29 AM   #45
Mr. NiCe GuY

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. NiCe GuY
I disagree with the cutting back on costs idea...wouldn't be a hulla without lasers, the flyers, etc ,etc.

as someone else said, DON'T hire yer friends for AV techs. I'm currently taking electrical engineering. I dont care who the hell you are and what you've tinkered with in your basement, when yer dealing with that much current running through those power lines leave it to the pros. Even for the insurance aspect alone if anything goes wrong (i.e. fire). with smaller parties u can get away with it...NOT bigger ones.

also I'm thinking that corporate sponsorship might be needed now (i'm shocked no one else mentioned this yet).

as for finding venues outside of t-dot, nah, bad idea. bingo hall was probably the farthest ppl would go. shuttle buses are a BIG hassle (not just from the financial aspect), it leaves one less thing to worry about.

I do agree with the hulla-wear idea. grab sum extra capital from marketing sum clothing...just make sure its good stuff, not just a plain tee slapped with the logo.
Mr. NiCe GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 04:03 AM   #46
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Wow, in all honesty this is not the response i thought i would get.

People have been bitching about ticket prices in Toronto since my very earliest days in the scene. I figured I would just post what I had to say and if anyone ever asked why there wasn't a big party coming up I could direct them to my post.

anyways, to address a few comments....

Hulla is too big an operation to risk cutting corners on it's support systems. I know without a shadow of a doubt that things will get done, and properly, when left to professionals. This isn't a "barn party" (no offense malglo! ). Those are just the costs of doing business. Parties are stressful enough as it is without worrying about someone not coming through.

Sponsership: I'd be all over this if it were a possibility. But it's not like there are tons of companies out there begging to give us money. and the few that have shown some interest in the club scene are cigarrette companies, and I could never eithically be able to accept money from them. From my research so far into this, the most likely way sponsership would make it's way into a party like ours would be to have the companies add something extra to the event. But it's not like they're going to foot the bill for the entire thing.

Clothing: Well, this has been a long running idea, but theres no way it could make enough to subsidize our parties, and if it did somehow manage to make that kind of money, well then I've found a new business to take on .

Anyways, I'm glad to so much dialog has come of this.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 04:07 AM   #47
bowzer
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to bowzer

^---- another reason we need big hullas, I need to goto a big one so I can die happy, hehe
But small ones still rock!
bowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 06:03 AM   #48
nokturnaljoe
Hullaboarder

Hello BOWZER
Old October 24th, 2001, 06:06 AM   #49
Tenta¢leşenta¢le
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Tenta¢leşenta¢le
People have been complaining about ticket prices, but when it comes down to it they'll still pay for it.
I mean I fully expect a big hulla party to cost around $40-$50 bucks, and I would pay for it. I'm sure most people would.
Small parties should be cheap, but big parties like once a year are worth 50 big ones.
I mean people spent more on cloth and other items daily.

And lets not even kid ourself on how much kids spent on drugs.
Kids these days have alot of buying power. They just need time to save up their money. So I don't think frolic should worry about raising ticket prices.
Old October 24th, 2001, 09:42 AM   #50
Dj Borg
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Dj Borg
If it was really big and the venue was good I'd pay $50 to $80 to go. I've been wondering how you guys make any money anyways without alcohol sales.