The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old October 24th, 2001, 01:12 PM   #51
Klubmasta Will
Hullaboarder

i miss big chillout rooms where the crowd would spontaneously break into "happy hullabalooooooo!!!" celebrations ever 2 minutes.
Klubmasta Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 01:50 PM   #52
stargurl

Send a message via ICQ to stargurl
*sigh*
*smile*

me too, Will.
stargurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 01:58 PM   #53
bucky
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to bucky Send a message via AIM to bucky
oh memories of being outside of the Newz... all of a sudden the deafening sound of whistles and cheers of "HAPPPPY HULLLABALOOO!"

demand for big parties has been low - because there hasn't been any, if there were some people would go.

hire friends as 'technicians' - usually you can't, if you use a venue they have them already, or hire a sound company and they have there own

move it outside toronto - then attendance will be lower, toronto is central - anywhere else and more people would probably have transportation issues.

best of luck! general consensus seems that we'd all love to see a big Hulla party again... it's been so long the return would probably have an awesome vibe to it (just like all hulla's).. just thinking about the possibility of one gets me all excited
bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 01:59 PM   #54
kisco kid
Hullaboarder

why doesnt hulla come out with a club night type thing??

destiny is doing it with assecion

no reason hulla cant do it

-rich
kisco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 02:19 PM   #55
Mr. NiCe GuY

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. NiCe GuY
^^^^that's a good idea

throw a bunch of small club nights, even sum up n comers, costs should be relatively low, wont be a huge party, but less chance of loosing money and might be able to help out the costs of the big hullas.

big ups to tha friendship crew
Mr. NiCe GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 03:59 PM   #56
ADT
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to ADT
I think higher prices are justified.

Even though i am a strong proponent of the small party scene, I think the demand is there for a $50 Big Party on a regular weekend, and the price would suit the novelty of doing something like that..

Perhaps some of the remaining promoters who are interested in this should team together and reduce the risk...

Destiny vs Hullabaloo I.....=D

Headliners...

then

OS/2 vs Spice... hahaha.. that would be sooo good

S4 vs Subsonic Chronic in a Hard Psytrance duel

Anabolic Frolic vs. Anabolic Frolic (who gets it???...=D...)

Eryk S vs Elixir (that would be pretty dark)

and

some other room...

Vinyl Syndicate vs Syrous ???? i dont know shit about jungle so...
Old October 24th, 2001, 04:19 PM   #57
Rainbow Brit-E
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Brit-E
BIG PARTY BIG PARTY BIG PARTY

We love hullas because corners are NOT cut and they are great 'cuz people take the time to plan them so well and use professionals. Big scale parties can't use amatures that aren't 100% reliable.
And flyer kids aren't paid much so don't take that away from them. I agree with.... someone... who said give them guest list, 'cuz u are paying their ticket and making them not wait in line!!!
I just say, raise the prices, do hullas how they always have done, and we will all have a fabulous time.
So Chris, when is the next big one? hehehe
SOOON, I hope!!!!
Old October 24th, 2001, 05:10 PM   #58
psychedelics
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to psychedelics
i heard many stories about large hullabaloo parties from my friend at the time andy. its still kinda weird to see what he accomplished by becoming mc kwik. so i would pay the money and come from barrie know knowing the cost factors, and there are many more than i would have thought. It would be well worth the memory i bet.

matt.

hey rob, save up. (if this is going to happen)
Old October 24th, 2001, 05:48 PM   #59
Alison
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Alison
Ok, so Chris after reading all of this what do you think?
Another big hulla maybe in Feb Please!!!!! If you start the planning now your giving all of us way enough time to prepare and save.

I think we would all be really happy to hear that there is a hulla in the making, the best one of them all!!!

Please, please, please i'm beggin' !!!!

*~its all about bringin in the new the old way~*
Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 06:23 PM   #60
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Nubbie Send a message via MSN to Nubbie
Re: I think higher prices are justified.

Quote:
Originally posted by ADT
OS/2 vs Spice... hahaha.. that would be sooo good

-=Nub=-
Nubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 07:31 PM   #61
MrGuv (Mathiau)
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via AIM to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via MSN to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via Yahoo to MrGuv (Mathiau)
Okay, here are my thoughts,

I didn't read EVERYONE else’s post's, but I read through allot, anyways (please let me know)

1.we do get it easy for ticket prices and have gotten spoiled. I have friends who would complain about a $10 cover!! to get into Guv nightclub, Think, $10, for about 7-9 hours of music, 3 + rooms!!! faq'n cheap is all they are!

2. I think there are allot of LAZYpeople who won't buy the ticket cause mommy and daddy won't give them the money, so instead of getting a JOB!!! and making there own cash, they decide not to go and then complain of high-ticket prices! (I am not aiming this at any 1 person, just those people to whom it applies too)

3.The new laws about having X number of cops and med's there, that increased the price that much more then what it was before.

4.perhaps charge more for water and such? I mean the night clubs charge you $10 -$20 entry, or more, but they make all of their cash selling things inside. Think you buy a bottle of JD, u can get about, mmmm 20+ drinks out of that, plus most places water em down, so more, and at usually around $7+ (for mixed drinks), u have just payed for like 5 bottle of JD from one!

5.So about the Above - More V.I.P (18+) area's in raves, or large events, not everyone likes to do K, E, Shrooms, whateva your fancy. Yes, there are bad drunks, but there are just as many bad e-tards, or K-tards! This means a liquor license, but as stated above, there is that much MORE $$$ to be made!

6.Glow sticks, etc etc. U buy them bulk?(like $.50 each, could be wrong) they cost next to nothing, Guv (yes I refer to Guv allot, hence my nickname) Sells em for (or used too) $5 each for the sticks, thas a $4.50 profit, now a few hundred people buy'n em, thas a good amount of $$$ u just got!

7. Ticket Prices, Start to up the price slowly, let people adjust to it, don't suddenly go from $30 - $50, people won't take to it, as stated before, spend $50 to a venue, that will probably be cramped, or pay $10-$20 to a club, to hear just as good Dj's, and not so cramped. BUT most clubs don't run as late, thas the advantage. If tickets are $30 now, make em $35, $5 x 1000, thas $5k more u made!

.8.Flyers, advertising, Find some local talent, like here @ the Hullaboard, I can imagine there are some GREAT! gfx talent right here that can design some sweet flyers and such!! Anyone here work for a radio station? a quick commercial, next to nothing, even if it is at 4am in the morn!

Now, I didn't take no business classes, heck, I didn't even finish high school @ that! but that is what I would do to help alleviate(typo?) some of these costs.

Let me know if I can help out, although now living in Antigua not allot I can really do in Toronto. but I can try

This is a culture I don't think will ever die, as 1 song I know goes '

'Under ground will live foreva baby, We’re just like roaches!!! neva die! (me go listen to it right now! (trancesetters - Roaches)

So, people, lets bring back 1999! (god I hate prince!!!)

Anyways l8's! 4 now!
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© They know what is what, but they don't know what is what........ they just strut..... WTF! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© Life ain't short, your just dead for too frick'n dam long! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸

Last edited by MrGuv (Mathiau) : October 24th, 2001 at 07:39 PM.
MrGuv (Mathiau) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 10:08 PM   #62
Vidman
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Vidman
Quote:
Originally posted by Vidman
printing tickets - go cheapest. screw glossy & fancy.. they're just gonna be ripped anyway
----------------------------------------
Originally posted by limey

Wouldnt you loose money because of forgery if you did that?

I've never been to a party and had my ticket scrutinized. Ticketmaster has those "ultraviolet safety markings" (like most ticket dealers use) yet when's the last time you've seen security with black lights in hand?
Old October 24th, 2001, 10:13 PM   #63
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
Just about any party at the docks uses black lights, I specifically remember it at big bud. I think the opera house has a few times as well... Its been a while since if been there though.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 10:21 PM   #64
Vidman
Hullaboarder

DO people in Toronto not have vehicles or friends with vehicles? People who don't live in Toronto have to drive over to party. We have to drive an hour+ both ways.

Also.. the Go Train goes all the way to Guelph.

About tickets.. I don't know how much the Ticketmaster ones cost, but TICKETMAN is where I get mine. It's cheap, and comes with the ultra-violet markings. Although, Ticketmaster tickets may be cheaper in the long run if using their services to sell 'em.

-

It's funny how some of you say "oh, it won't work" yet offer no alternative.

Folks.. it's either CHANGE YOUR WAYS or things will stay the same or become 'worse'.

A big party outside of Toronto? *gasp* There's an outside? Jesus.. this ain't "Pleasantville", kids!
Vidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2001, 11:47 PM   #65
§hôrTi£
Hullanewbie

Send a message via ICQ to §hôrTi£ Send a message via Yahoo to §hôrTi£
hey everyone ...i jsut wanna let everyone know im new to the whole party scene this year...ive been to a couple raves including hullabaloo and everytime ive gone to one ..ive met new people and had an absolutly amazing time!!...i never knew how much it actually cost to throw a party untill i read anabolics thread but i guess my point is ..dont let the partys die out...its all about the expiriences you have and the excitng new and different people you encounter so crack open those wallets and dish out the little bit of extra cash the companys need to keep this awsem scene going!!...anywho thankz 4 listening
*lotz of hugz n' love*
Old October 25th, 2001, 01:09 AM   #66
Vidman
Hullaboarder

"Aah, to be 8 again..."

j/k.. quote from tonight's Simpsons
Vidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2001, 03:58 AM   #67
Menace2society
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Menace2society Send a message via Yahoo to Menace2society
I would pay the extra money to see another big Hulla event!
Old October 25th, 2001, 05:49 AM   #68
- twitch -
Hullaboarder

Thumbs down

I believe promoters get put back majorly just by the cost for venues.. I've heard that a rave would pay way more for a venue like Kool Haus then a Rap or Rock concert would pay.
Didn't the Docks used to charge around $8 000 for it... and now isn't it almost double?
And along with that.. don't DJ's in Toronto get paid WAY less then anywhere else in North America..? ussually just so that parties happen. It seems that these days you NEED your locals to play for next to nothing to even afford the party.
- twitch - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2001, 01:01 PM   #69
dj SPINZ
Hullaboarder

Lightbulb

Hmm this all reminds me of why i never got into the promotions bizz...hey Frisky remember that?

It seems that Toronto used to set the standard for the rave scene in North America...now that times have changed we need to follow a different model.

You're right, in cities like L.A. or in the UK, the way things work is that the majority of events are held at clubs to a smaller crowd with less money spent on talent and less money spent on things that the club already has there...sound, security, etc. There are a few large events put on by the big promoters (with balls) a few times a year. They are advertised way in advance or are sometimes a yearly event so that people have the time to save up for the large ticket prices. Toronto already seems to be moving in this direction, just that we are in the middle in a point where there seem to be not many clubs and no large events.

Now we have to look at why this has been a problem here. For most places that are happily following this model, it seems that their scene had its roots in the clubs and then moved to larger events, while in Toronto the large events went without a hitch for so long that nobody bothered starting up clubs to support music like Happy hardcore or jungle...only house music!
Now its easy to say, "why don't you just move to a club?"...well how many club owners are going to risk their business on the furry panted masses? They want what will make them money, which means older well dressed crowd spending lots of money on booze, no heat from the media, no people overdosing at their club.

Its seems that for the promoters in the Hullabaloo's boat, the only way to run things is to concentrate even harder on the under19 market who can't get into a club, throw a couple of parties a year and raise the ticket prices so that raves become indestinguishable from concerts. That would mean even more communication between the large party promoters to make sure they don't set parties on each others dates. Plus it wouldn't hurt for the partiers themselves to become more responsible which means cooling out on the drugs. Correct me if I'm wrong here but back in the day when i experimented with that shit I had never heard of anyone popping more than 1 or 2 of anything. Now i hear about kids popping 4 pills in a night and talking about it like its cool to test the human limits of stupidity and return to tell a story about it. A decrease in drugs=a decrease in over doses=a decrease in the amount of officers that the police force can justify needing at a party. this would mean more money that can be spent on a party for YOU the raver.

Also this large party model means that promoters will have a hard time spending money on a semi-big name dj anymore. The big parties have to have guaranteed draws for the under 19 crowd...So all those complaining that they would like to see someone other than dj Hype or Bad Boy Bill, what can you do? Well you will have to start supporting the small club scenario. This means go to a club and drink lots, club owners love that! Also you will have to start acting the part and playing the role of the mature clientelle. Put on a nice shirt and leave the sideways hat at home. The club scene...now this is the place to support you're local djs and semi-big headliners!

Sorry...its still abit too early for me to be coherent so i will quit here and come back to this later.

I will just add this. Twitch is right, Toronto's locals are among the best in the world yet they are also among the most poorly paid...so there isn't much room to cut there. The logical thing is to have them play longer sets reducing the amount of djs needed in a night. This also helps the party in that it creates more of a musical flow. The talented djs know how to take a longer set and construct a certain vibe through their programming. One hour sets suck and leave all the djs playing just the top smashing tunes with all the djs playing the same run of 20 tunes.

Also another area that can't be skimped on is the sound and lights...you can't have a friend who is a raver work your stuff because you are risking thousands on your friend who isn't getting anything out of it. Also you get what you pay for. Spending money on a quality sound man or set up guy means that you can tell them exactly what you want done...the cheap ass sound guys usually fall asleep and goof off. but a properly trained sound man you can tell to them to do something and they will.

Ohh...I'm tired

dj SPINZ
dj SPINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2001, 03:57 PM   #70
Blackbird
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Blackbird
Well.. I don't know about you people, but I don't have $35 anymore to blow on a party. I'm not 17 anymore, I have expenses and debts. So it's either spend $35 on a party, or buy food for two days. I don't know this for sure, because I don't have the research to support this, but the demographics of the Rave scene have probably shifted upwards over the past five years. I think there are fewer people willing to shell out $35 or upwards on a party when they can go to a 19+ club and spend $15 for the same party. A big party at the Better Living Center or the Automotive Building doesn't have the same appeal to me as it did when I was 17, and i'm willing to bet there are a lot of people in my age group who feel the same way.
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2001, 05:01 PM   #71
KarmicKande
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to KarmicKande
some of us are still 17. thats part of the problem. i keep hearing people say 'ohh parties will never be the same' but i ask... why not?!

our 'rave culture' has finally begun to flourish. this is NOT a bad thing. we ravers are so proud of our scene, yet now that it has become big, its breaking down. we are a LOT stronger than this.

there are a lot of more experienced ravers who dont like this new scene. so they dont care about it like they used to. but dont forget, everyone was a newbie once. there are a LOT of new ravers. we cant forget, that this scene IS important. we should honestly stand up for it. no more complaining. we CAN make the scene like it was. we are going thru a difficult time. its just a test. and right now... we may be failing. if we can all show our support, and acknowledge the fact that yes, tickets have gone up in price, and yes, everything is over charged... it doesnt matter. deal with it. show your love for the scene. think of it as though you are paying $20 a ticket and an extra $10 as a donation to help keep the scene alive. i may not be experienced as a lot of other people here, or anywhere... but i have a lot more partying to do. and i dont want to have to stop any time soon.
Old October 25th, 2001, 06:04 PM   #72
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Nubbie Send a message via MSN to Nubbie
Quote:
Originally posted by KarmicKande
some of us are still 17. thats part of the problem. i keep hearing people say 'ohh parties will never be the same' but i ask... why not?!

our 'rave culture' has finally begun to flourish. this is NOT a bad thing. we ravers are so proud of our scene, yet now that it has become big, its breaking down. we are a LOT stronger than this.

there are a lot of more experienced ravers who dont like this new scene. so they dont care about it like they used to. but dont forget, everyone was a newbie once. there are a LOT of new ravers. we cant forget, that this scene IS important. we should honestly stand up for it. no more complaining. we CAN make the scene like it was. we are going thru a difficult time. its just a test. and right now... we may be failing. if we can all show our support, and acknowledge the fact that yes, tickets have gone up in price, and yes, everything is over charged... it doesnt matter. deal with it. show your love for the scene. think of it as though you are paying $20 a ticket and an extra $10 as a donation to help keep the scene alive. i may not be experienced as a lot of other people here, or anywhere... but i have a lot more partying to do. and i dont want to have to stop any time soon.

And those of us who are 20 and can't afford to go up the extra few dollars? Blackbird made an exellent point that some of us can't afford the increase, as much as we would like to.

You raise the price of a ticket by 10 dollars, you'd better have a damned good reason. That 10 bucks will most likely feed me for 2-3 days and probably leave me enough for cleaning my clothes at the end of the week. I'll lighten up here abit I guess, I mean I do love the bigger hullas, always have! But now its simply a matter of being able to afford it. As to the scene changing? Well, its a fact of life, those that see it change don't necessarily change with it. We all get bitter at some point about the 'good old days'. Its not something that we can really avoid. However, whether it affects your outlook on it all... thats a different story.

rave
Rave
RAVE!

-=Nub=- <== Wants to go raving sometime, when he turns 14
Nubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2001, 06:37 PM   #73
Top BuzzzZ
Hullanewbie

Send a message via AIM to Top BuzzzZ Send a message via Yahoo to Top BuzzzZ
HEY CHRIS READ ME

I suggest you throw an event with out the UK djs

we have a lot fo good talent in toronto and newyork.
That Might cut those expenses

Also WHO NEEDS A UK MC/ Most are overarted

DONT USE THE DOCKs

Try using a smaller venue with less people. unless its about the money and i understand show business is about the money and you wont be able to make your money back with an 800 person venue.

Chris I have been attending your events since 1996 you have always been able to pulloff some great events. FOREVERLAND FUNTOPIA events.

No matter what is said in that may have been insensitive at the time. We know you are responsible for the growth of the industry.
Old October 25th, 2001, 06:40 PM   #74
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
That extra $10 may put the food on youre table for a few days, but large scale parties are not a weekly matter so its hard to make a comparison like that. Like i said earlier, I wouldnt mind paying an extra $5-$10. If it werent for raves then I'd honestly have nothing to do on a weekend. I go to universtiy and live in Thorold, I dont know too many people here, and im not of age to drink (and wont be for another few months).

A big hulla is worth a $35+ ticket price
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2001, 06:49 PM   #75
RoB-B
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to RoB-B
Can i pay in hugs?

ill personally give each and every person a hug to get in

i spent all my money on crack

I say someone shoiuld invest in a giant ware house, and allow people to throw parties in it for a low cost of covering insurance and up keep

someone whos not out to make a billion dollars
RoB-B is offline   Reply With Quote