limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
Quote:
Originally posted by RoB-B
Can i pay in hugs?

ill personally give each and every person a hug to get in

i spent all my money on crack

I say someone shoiuld invest in a giant ware house, and allow people to throw parties in it for a low cost of covering insurance and up keep

someone whos not out to make a billion dollars

Get back on the corner and make some money the hard way
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2001, 06:57 PM   #77
RoB-B
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to RoB-B
Quote:
Originally posted by Nubbie
Woooo

Those are some pretty hefty numbers. I was thinking that throwing a larger party would cost somewhere around $50k, maybe as much as $60k, but $74 000?

-=Nub=-

The last winterGalactic cost $125 000

now thats expensive
i was told they lost 60 grand on it
RoB-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:25 PM   #78
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Nubbie Send a message via MSN to Nubbie
Thats what I heard. I also heard they didn't make a cent off that party.

It was a fun weekend of my life though.
God bless birthday parties

-=Nub=-
Nubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:33 PM   #79
Rainbow Brit-E
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Brit-E
Quote:

And those of us who are 20 and can't afford to go up the extra few dollars? Blackbird made an exellent point that some of us can't afford the increase, as much as we would like to.

You raise the price of a ticket by 10 dollars, you'd better have a damned good reason. That 10 bucks will most likely feed me for 2-3 days and probably leave me enough for cleaning my clothes at the end of the week. I'll lighten up here abit I guess, I mean I do love the bigger hullas, always have! But now its simply a matter of being able to afford it. As to the scene changing? Well, its a fact of life, those that see it change don't necessarily change with it. We all get bitter at some point about the 'good old days'. Its not something that we can really avoid. However, whether it affects your outlook on it all... thats a different story.

rave
Rave
RAVE!

-=Nub=- <== Wants to go raving sometime, when he turns 14

Ok, this isn't fair... u guys will go to a bar that charges 15 to get in and then spend 20 on drinks.... theres your hulla ticket right there.
And the good old days stuff does get annoyig 'cuz I was there when it was underground and I am now and it's just diffrent... not necessarily better. I still have lots of fun and don't make the new people feel liek the scene is 2nd rate now 'cuz it changed like everything else.
And the bitterness should be kept to yourself or discussion among friends

Leigh-Anne <who still goes to raves and it NOT 14
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:39 PM   #80
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Duhhh

I didn't say it sucked, I said that it was simply something that happens. Fond memories get tarnished so to speak.

Personally, I love going to smaller parties, always have, always will. I love everything about them, from the people, to the sketchiest things that can happen at them.

But

I was simply replying to the earlier comment that people shouldn't be bitter, because thats just perpetuating the problem here (people get bitter about the bitter people, etc etc) I've never actually gotten bitter about the whole direction of the party scene. I get alittle sad at times to see whats going on at some parties and all that jazz, but who doesn't?

And the 14 year old comment was directed to those that seem to think we're all made of money.

I know I'm not, and I've never borrowed money off my parents to go to a party ever, so supporting myself yet having reasonably priced fun would be nice. I'm all for big parties, but I'd just a long long long time in advance notice so I could work out a budget to go and still have enough cash to feed and clothe myself.

-=Nub=-
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:43 PM   #81
Rainbow Brit-E
Hullaboarder

Okay, well the post just seemed liek something diffrent to me. I'm just tired of people mourning over old parties when they are still happening and STILL fun.
I'm all about little parties too, but once in a while a big party is grand, and more notice is a good idea.
And I'm a student too, I know... but even little ppl don't have loads of $$$
Rainbow Brit-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:47 PM   #82
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

It was the 'Rave rave rave' thing wasn't it?

-=N!b=-
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:51 PM   #83
Rainbow Brit-E
Hullaboarder

Quote:
It was the 'Rave rave rave' thing wasn't it?

-=N!b=-

*pokes u and gives u candy*
jaded raver... wanna bracelet? LOL
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:54 PM   #84
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

LMAO!

Oh my, its been awhile since anyone has said that to me.

I suppose a bracelet can't hurt?

-=Nub=-
Old October 25th, 2001, 09:05 PM   #85
Rainbow Brit-E
Hullaboarder

*gives nub a bracelet with colourful fish and E's on it"
coming to Nightmare?

Candy? lol
Old October 25th, 2001, 09:45 PM   #86
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

hAHAHAH haAH hahAH haHA haHA hAHah HAah HHashahHHAhahahA

-=Nub=-
Old October 25th, 2001, 10:11 PM   #87
kisco kid
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by Rainbow Brit-E

Ok, this isn't fair... u guys will go to a bar that charges 15 to get in and then spend 20 on drinks.... theres your hulla ticket right there.
And the good old days stuff does get annoyig 'cuz I was there when it was underground and I am now and it's just diffrent... not necessarily better. I still have lots of fun and don't make the new people feel liek the scene is 2nd rate now 'cuz it changed like everything else.
And the bitterness should be kept to yourself or discussion among friends

Leigh-Anne <who still goes to raves and it NOT 14

well i know for me im 21 i live on my own drive my own car pay my own insurance.....although i would probly pay the money my point is i spend 5bucks to go to the bar and pay $2.25 a beer!!
that i can afford

lush rules!!!

-rich
kisco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2001, 10:56 PM   #88
MrGuv (Mathiau)
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via AIM to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via MSN to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via Yahoo to MrGuv (Mathiau)
Red face

Quote:
Duhhh

And the 14 year old comment was directed to those that seem to think we're all made of money.

I know I'm not, and I've never borrowed money off my parents to go to a party ever, so supporting myself yet having reasonably priced fun would be nice. I'm all for big parties, but I'd just a long long long time in advance notice so I could work out a budget to go and still have enough cash to feed and clothe myself.

-=Nub=-

If you go this form me, well, don't take it personally, i was refering to the people who actually do. When i was party'n, i always a saved up some cash, I just don't like the people, whether 14 or not, who go buy a pack of smokes, then complain they got no cash, and go see mommy and daddy for some $$
Not to bore anyone, but ihave been working since i was 16, to support myself, i hated no having any $$ to go out, cause my mom neva had any cash, aand well my dad, i won't go into that story!!

As said, drop the UK DJ's!! there is ENOUGH! local talent here, that have the same tracks as top UK DJ's!! and just as good skillZ! Support the locals, and even ones from next door (US)

think of that cost, the flight over, the paycheck, transportation!! i say screw it for now, at least until perhaps the scene begins to flourish like it did, and u know people will come and u will maike nuff cahs to have some $$ left ova!

And what is this 15 dj line up crap? yeah is nice to have variety! but gimmy a break!! perhaps 5 dj's, 3 hours each? or even 7 dj's @ like 2 hours each, 2 hours passes DAM fast when you doing good! The more time a Dj' has on , the better u get to know him, and his style!! not 1 hour of the hits, and wham bam, thank you mam,if i wanted that i would listen to muchmusic! (no disrespect) sometimes it take me just an hour to get to the can, i come back, and that DJ i wanted to see is gone!

Well, enough from me, for now! Someone want to start a Rave scene here in Antigua!!Most people here have never even heard of rock music and think alternative is Techno, or as they say it 'technical' muisc.Only thing that exists here is Raggae and calypso, R & B.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! HELP MMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© They know what is what, but they don't know what is what........ they just strut..... WTF! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© Life ain't short, your just dead for too frick'n dam long! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
MrGuv (Mathiau) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2001, 12:51 PM   #89
graver
Hullanewbie

Send a message via ICQ to graver
The R351574N[3 agrees...

Analysis and Briefing from the Resistance:
From General Graver:

Agents and partyers,

Perhaps I can add a bit to this, in that we, as a production/promotion company, just began throwing smaller parties a few months ago and are only now realizing that we may lose money indefinitely. We charge $10 for entry unless we've got a big international headliner as we did with Analog Pussy ($20 in advance - $25 at the door). We use mainly local talent, and DON'T PAY THEM ANYTHING! We see the problems as described herein on a different scale.

R351570R was formed as a movement to bring back the vibe and atmosphere of the old days, and as a rebellion against certain commercial trends that we saw in the club/rave scene. Our mandate is to promote Psy/Goa and perhaps other forms of seldom heard music in Toronto, while providing a fun and safe and cheap venue to party with fruit and pyro and gifts and lighting and sound and great DJ's and a website that kix - www.cyborganization.org, all within a non-profit organization. Does it sound like heaven? Sure. Then why, even with the great review threads and emails and word-of-mouth and on-the-street promotion by the actual founders that we see, aren't we succeeding at all or at least breaking even? I don't want to rant about how hard it is to make and hold an event or how much it costs, and it IS all worth it in the end, but it is a bit disheartening.

Our events are more in the range of $4k to produce on a monthly basis, with capacity for 500. We run 2 rooms, spend on deco, fresh fruit, more sound and lights than I suppose is neccessary, but cut corners like printing flyers off in B&W at work to distribute when we're out on weekends. We don't pay flyerers as the organizers and some patrons all pitch in to help us out. Our pyro guys are free and make the charges themselves, and we buy it wholesale to save on costs. Our deco is all hand-made by volunteers or in our basement, and we cannibalize all that we can. We even have a 10 person set-up crew that works 6 hours to put deco up and another 2 to take it down - FOR FREE. I think that our parties are the greatest thing since sunshine, but can we convince enough people to join us to even break even? Naw.

What can be done? We're at a crossroads where we see the same people coming out, and promoting at larger, more mainstream venues has shown no value. When we flyer outside of System at 4AM, we avoid the flyer gauntlet and acutally tell people about what we're trying to do, to add to the small and personal feel of the party that we're inviting people to ourselves. Has this worked? Naw. And we're charging LESS than cover for most clubs...

What does this say about the market? I don't think that the points made here are isolated to big parties. Even the smaller ones, with tighter margins and much less capital to work with to promote and get word out, are having a hard time. It's hard to make a go of this, and there is little chance of recouping your costs while you are guaranteed to work your sketchy ass off in trying to make it all go. Many promoters are working regular job, job-type jobs to finance their weekend endeavours, and I don't know how, with our corner cutting, personal invites, and never-ending hard work, will spread the word to enough people to at least allow me to recoup costs. We want people to try something new, as it seems that much of this crowd is happy to pay through the nose to go to a club that doesn't, in my opinion, really treat them as fellow partyers, but rather as paying sheep.

I know that most on this board are the type that WILL put the effort into seeking out new adventures, and use word-of-mouth to tell their more isolated friends about something that is good. I've never been to a Hulla, but will go to the next one for sure, seeing the reports here that these massive parties are much like our own in their quality of production and feeling of acceptance and equality among the promoters and patrons. But collectively, what can the larger AND smaller parties do to ensure that we can continue in the face of an entrenched club-scene, partyers happy with the status-quo, and lack of affordable venues?

Over and out
/rant and hidden self-promotion within sincere support of Hulla

gR4^3r
graver@cyborganization.org
General from R351570R
Partner of bathory
Love of Psy
www.cyborganization.org
Nov. 24th - Alien Invasion...
W3L[0M3 70 7H3 FU7UR3
>>3Nj0Y<<
www.cyborganization.org
W3l[0m3 70 7H3 Fu7uR3
>>3nJ0y<<
graver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2001, 01:44 PM   #90
Sliz
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Sliz
I'ed say drop the UK MC.......there's 2000 saved if not slightly more, instead of 2UK trance headliners, have one and use somebody from North America as the other headliner, there's 1000 saved, more if you can have them drive up. Hour and half sets would generally be nice not just to save money but to allow the DJ to really get into his set. Although I know it won't happen, drop one of the UK hhc headliners and replace with again, somebody from North America, Justrich or lets say Cloudskipper. All of this would likely save you roughly 4000. Now you don't wanna raise ticket prices by $10-15 right away........so start at a $5 increase, lets say capacity of 2000, there's an extra $10 000. You now have roughly $14 000 extra, so atleast if you loose some money it's not a whole lot!

PeacE
Sliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2001, 01:26 PM   #91
beaker
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to beaker
word!

Quote:
Originally posted by - twitch -

Didn't the Docks used to charge around $8 000 for it... and now isn't it almost double?
And along with that.. don't DJ's in Toronto get paid WAY less then anywhere else in North America..? ussually just so that parties happen. It seems that these days you NEED your locals to play for next to nothing to even afford the party.

definitely. as you know, nic, nearly all the DJs at our first party our playing for free and we're still tight on budget.

shameless plug

and i remember when smokee threw his party at the tropicana two years ago and it cost 1100 dollars (mind you there was no sound or security). now i've heard they charge up to 6-7 times that amount.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2001, 02:57 PM   #92
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by MrGuv (Mathiau)

If you go this form me, well, don't take it personally, i was refering to the people who actually do. When i was party'n, i always a saved up some cash, I just don't like the people, whether 14 or not, who go buy a pack of smokes, then complain they got no cash, and go see mommy and daddy for some $$
Not to bore anyone, but ihave been working since i was 16, to support myself, i hated no having any $$ to go out, cause my mom neva had any cash, aand well my dad, i won't go into that story!!

Yea, thats what set me off really.
My ex girlfriend was like that, she got all her money for partying and clothes from her parents. I can tolerate it for only so long before you just want to scream 'GET A JOB!' at people like her. They just have it so damned easy, and haven't really had to work at what they have. She wasn't spoiled but she did have it very easy.

Hell when I was her age, my parents refused to give me 5 bucks to go to McDonalds and get something to eat! I find more kids like that are slowly getting into it all, and its kind of disheartening, because they get what they want most of the time, and leave the rest of us who have to fight for it scratching our heads and wondering what why we didn't check off 'Rich parents' when we were being born.

(Note this is not a personal attack on her, its just an observation about some people. I just am jealous and wish I was in their shoes)

-=Nub=-
Old October 29th, 2001, 01:43 AM   #93
- twitch -
Hullaboarder

Re: word!

Quote:
Originally posted by beaker

definitely. as you know, nic, nearly all the DJs at our first party our playing for free and we're still tight on budget.

dido with Enter the Fury and Still Dancing
- twitch - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2001, 12:52 PM   #94
shuko_x
Hullaboarder

Wink

Id go with the idea of a Rave club. i mean they are all over the UK why not have em here. You have all these people bitchin that havin a club would pretty much crap out the scene. I don't think so. The scene is all about the music and vibe. Not the location or anything. It shouldn't matter where the music is. As long as the vibe is kept its all good. Rave is a way of life, a philosophy. When u go to work, when u sleep, when u do what u do. PLUR 4 ever. I hope that someone makes a rave club cuz it would be better to have a place chill, dance what ever to new happycore music. Just like the Hard as it gets fridays at Audiowerks.
shuko_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2001, 01:25 PM   #95
Rainbow Brit-E
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by shuko_x
Id go with the idea of a Rave club. i mean they are all over the UK why not have em here. You have all these people bitchin that havin a club would pretty much crap out the scene. I don't think so. The scene is all about the music and vibe. Not the location or anything. It shouldn't matter where the music is. As long as the vibe is kept its all good. Rave is a way of life, a philosophy. When u go to work, when u sleep, when u do what u do. PLUR 4 ever. I hope that someone makes a rave club cuz it would be better to have a place chill, dance what ever to new happycore music. Just like the Hard as it gets fridays at Audiowerks.

Ummm, we sorta already have these.. TO, London, St Kitts, etc etc... and it's not the same. It is fun and there is a diffrent vibe there then would be @ a normal club but you can fit the amount of people most promoters would like and big DJs are not gonna come for a small crowd..... I agreee that it is about the vibe and music but it's nice that everyone that wants to go can and there isn't worries about no tickets left or over crowding....
Old October 31st, 2001, 02:13 PM   #96
shuko_x
Hullaboarder

where are the ones in TO, I know where the NU NRG, Trance, Jungle ones are. But where are the Happycore ones
shuko_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2001, 08:20 PM   #97
CandyGirl23
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to CandyGirl23 Send a message via MSN to CandyGirl23
I don't know, but after reading this thread it seems like you canadians have been very spoiled by low ticket prices. I live in Upstate NY and we're paying $20-30 american for 1 or two headliners, from chicago, toronto, NYC.... not the big names from the UK. Be thankful that your locals are so talented and start paying them the way they deserve to be paid. And... be willing to fork out $10-15 extra for the headliners from overseas....they're worth it!
CandyGirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2001, 09:35 PM   #98
phatpoon3

Send a message via AIM to phatpoon3
I'm from Rochester Ny. And i try to make it to all the hullas but cant . Dont have the money or somone to drive us up there.

The thing is you have to give us more time to plan things out. I mean give more then 2 months and i got it down like that. But for kid my age les then that ant going to work only if u plan the date on the weekend that i decide to have off. For me taking the weekend off ( 2 days ) is alot of money slipping out of my pocket. pluse finding and getting a group of friends to go up there. The money thing ant no biggy i wouldnt mind poping 40 bucks to get in but the thing is its timing .

For word to travel down here seems long awaitng. Im going to the one on nOV 10TH BECAUSE I WAS lucky that i ask my friend to check the page. now i have less then 2 weeks to plan out whats going on. Yeah i know you have lot to work to do but still having it plan out months ahead and posting it months ahead wouldnt hurt.

But for tickets i wouldnt mind paying an extra 15 to 20 bucks. Damn i work that hard to get up in TO and i want to get in.

But for the cheap ass i think you should save up and skip lunch or ask mom and dad for money. Or even go to door to door asking for bottles. But you have to remember your not doing this for yourself but for the scene and HULLA!

PLUR ( just dont say it do it )
phatpoon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2001, 02:34 AM   #99
Blackbird
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Blackbird
Re: The R351574N[3 agrees...

Hey Graver,

Your parties fucking rock.. I was at the last one and I had a blast,
and i've been telling everybody about the next one coming up. I totally support what you guys are doing, keep up the awesome work! I can't wait for the next party...

Quote:
Originally posted by graver
Analysis and Briefing from the Resistance:
From General Graver:

Agents and partyers,

Perhaps I can add a bit to this, in that we, as a production/promotion company, just began throwing smaller parties a few months ago and are only now realizing that we may lose money indefinitely. We charge $10 for entry unless we've got a big international headliner as we did with Analog Pussy ($20 in advance - $25 at the door). We use mainly local talent, and DON'T PAY THEM ANYTHING! We see the problems as described herein on a different scale.

R351570R was formed as a movement to bring back the vibe and atmosphere of the old days, and as a rebellion against certain commercial trends that we saw in the club/rave scene. Our mandate is to promote Psy/Goa and perhaps other forms of seldom heard music in Toronto, while providing a fun and safe and cheap venue to party with fruit and pyro and gifts and lighting and sound and great DJ's and a website that kix - www.cyborganization.org, all within a non-profit organization. Does it sound like heaven? Sure. Then why, even with the great review threads and emails and word-of-mouth and on-the-street promotion by the actual founders that we see, aren't we succeeding at all or at least breaking even? I don't want to rant about how hard it is to make and hold an event or how much it costs, and it IS all worth it in the end, but it is a bit disheartening.

Our events are more in the range of $4k to produce on a monthly basis, with capacity for 500. We run 2 rooms, spend on deco, fresh fruit, more sound and lights than I suppose is neccessary, but cut corners like printing flyers off in B&W at work to distribute when we're out on weekends. We don't pay flyerers as the organizers and some patrons all pitch in to help us out. Our pyro guys are free and make the charges themselves, and we buy it wholesale to save on costs. Our deco is all hand-made by volunteers or in our basement, and we cannibalize all that we can. We even have a 10 person set-up crew that works 6 hours to put deco up and another 2 to take it down - FOR FREE. I think that our parties are the greatest thing since sunshine, but can we convince enough people to join us to even break even? Naw.

What can be done? We're at a crossroads where we see the same people coming out, and promoting at larger, more mainstream venues has shown no value. When we flyer outside of System at 4AM, we avoid the flyer gauntlet and acutally tell people about what we're trying to do, to add to the small and personal feel of the party that we're inviting people to ourselves. Has this worked? Naw. And we're charging LESS than cover for most clubs...

What does this say about the market? I don't think that the points made here are isolated to big parties. Even the smaller ones, with tighter margins and much less capital to work with to promote and get word out, are having a hard time. It's hard to make a go of this, and there is little chance of recouping your costs while you are guaranteed to work your sketchy ass off in trying to make it all go. Many promoters are working regular job, job-type jobs to finance their weekend endeavours, and I don't know how, with our corner cutting, personal invites, and never-ending hard work, will spread the word to enough people to at least allow me to recoup costs. We want people to try something new, as it seems that much of this crowd is happy to pay through the nose to go to a club that doesn't, in my opinion, really treat them as fellow partyers, but rather as paying sheep.

I know that most on this board are the type that WILL put the effort into seeking out new adventures, and use word-of-mouth to tell their more isolated friends about something that is good. I've never been to a Hulla, but will go to the next one for sure, seeing the reports here that these massive parties are much like our own in their quality of production and feeling of acceptance and equality among the promoters and patrons. But collectively, what can the larger AND smaller parties do to ensure that we can continue in the face of an entrenched club-scene, partyers happy with the status-quo, and lack of affordable venues?

Over and out
/rant and hidden self-promotion within sincere support of Hulla

gR4^3r
graver@cyborganization.org
General from R351570R
Partner of bathory
Love of Psy
www.cyborganization.org
Nov. 24th - Alien Invasion...
W3L[0M3 70 7H3 FU7UR3
>>3Nj0Y<<
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2001, 02:11 AM   #100
Mirage
Hullaboarder

Lightbulb Have you pondered this?

Why don't the Hulla crew build their own venue?!
Big enough for big parties! It'd cost alot
to build but I'm sure everyone would help build it.
It could be a dreamworld!Build a Hullabaloo Castle!
You could have it be an exclusive club
and we could all become members!
Has anyone looked into this?
Is it realistc?It sure would be cool.

Given fair notice and time to plan I
would gladly save up for a big Hulla,
even if that meant paying 50 to 80 dollars.
I know the money is going to a cause I support.
A memory like a big Hulla will last forever
and thats truly priceless!
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote