The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old February 28th, 2003, 06:12 PM   #126
Move~Your~Stuff
Banned

Chris If you raised the prices I could still afford to go. So what the hell. If you are planning something that needs more flow, by all means go ahead.

(And even if there is less people there will be more room to move)
Move~Your~Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 11:31 PM   #127
Polina
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 10 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Polina
Quote:
Originally posted by DynamicHalfDuo
Thanks for bumping this, I hadn't read it before and it's interesting material.

Maybe you could get Pepsi to sponsor a Hulla and front $75,000 or so...they do it all the time for schools.

Yeah yeah...I'm an American... we just ask corporations for money when we need it.

yeah i am sure a it would look good if a huge corportion like PEPSI supported RAVES

lol

it was deffenetly interesting to read about the problems that used to happen.. since i have been only partying since field of dreams i did not know much about this.

If you can imagine it, you can create it. If you can believe it, you can become it

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.
Polina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 04:04 PM   #128
DynamicHalfDuo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DynamicHalfDuo Send a message via AIM to DynamicHalfDuo
Yeah, but then we'd have pepsi raves vs. coke raves, then they'd start offering Diet Raves and Sierra Rave Mist and Mountain Rave and the whole thing would just get overdone.

Old March 1st, 2003, 04:13 PM   #129
neverlandgurl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 18  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 10 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to neverlandgurl Send a message via Yahoo to neverlandgurl
Quote:
Originally posted by Move~Your~Stuff
Chris If you raised the prices I could still afford to go. So what the hell. If you are planning something that needs more flow, by all means go ahead.

(And even if there is less people there will be more room to move)

frolic's earlier post:
Quote:
I know for certain that if we threw a large scale hulla we WOULD get a lot of people, but if we pulled in approx 1700 people say, and our break even was 2200, that's a loss of $20 000 and I would be permanently out of business. Everyone who went would have had a fantastic time, and I'd get lots of "thanks for not overcrowding" posts, but the problem is we're talking about a huge amount of money and a huge amount of risk.

so basically...we need the same # or more, paying more money Move~Your~Stuff. which i think is his dilemma?

striking inspiration into the hearts of others: http://www.hattrixx.co.uk
neverlandgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 04:51 PM   #130
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
I know the docks is not availible... so hypathetically speaking.. what large venues are out there and how many ppl can they contain?

One more idea: Have you thought about doing a joint venture? I bet destiny and hulla would be an amazing combination.
Old March 1st, 2003, 05:42 PM   #131
Troile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Troile
Hulla and Destiny...hmmm how would you spell that...

W

E

M

F
Old March 2nd, 2003, 03:52 PM   #132
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
wemf is something totally different.

you cant compare 3 sketchy days in the middle of nowhere to 1 sketchy night in the city.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 04:28 PM   #133
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Well, I'm not in the large-party business anymore. I don't have it in me to stress myself out over that amount of risk, and since I got my waiver to go back to the states I'll be concentrating on my DJ career after my forced hiatus of 3 years.

Hopefully someone else will come along and pick up the slack. If the business were as profitable as everyone seems to think it is, we'd have no shortage of promoters, but unfortunately it's not.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 04:49 PM   #134
RaverPrincess
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to RaverPrincess
Ummmm this might be a dumb question, Frolic, but are Hullas going to still be basically two months apart now that you're allowed back in the US? I don't think I can wait more than that between Hullas

Nadine
RaverPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 05:16 PM   #135
RoB-B
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to RoB-B
I dont know if there is much of a hhc scene in buffalo or rochester

but have you thought about throwing a larger party there? Im not sure on prices and the exchange rate, but if you could work it out to be cheaper, im sure alot of hulla fans would go to buffalo and more people fromt he states would go.

Just a though, prolly wont work though
RoB-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 05:28 PM   #136
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Hulla's will continue to be on the same schedule they're at now, which is about 5 a year.

I have no plans to tour Hulla when I can book myseld to DJ in an different American city every week and not have any of the stress of throwing the event itself.
Old March 2nd, 2003, 07:19 PM   #137
RaverPrincess
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to RaverPrincess
Whew!! As long as I'll still have my regular dose of Hullabaloo!

Nadine
RaverPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 07:29 PM   #138
RoB-B
Hullaboarder

man
1 big hulla for old times sake

just 1

the question that know one wants to ask

how much longer will hullas be going on for do you think?
Old March 3rd, 2003, 07:32 PM   #139
candypunk
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to candypunk
ya i agree one more massive would rule, but i dont think thats going to happen, i feel Hulla will run as long as the people want it

PLUR

-Will
Old March 18th, 2003, 01:15 PM   #140
shuko_x
Hullaboarder

u also have to look at the mentality of the UK/European raver.... basically its pop culture down there...as opposed to here where its still a niche market. Basically everyone raves down there. So making money off events is easy. As u can charge what u want and people will still come.

Basically their big events are equivalent to a rock/pop concert here. The reason is very simple too. Electronic music is their rock and roll. They're pioneered most of the sounds we hear today. North America is all about rock and roll and thats what dominates. Rave just doesn't fly here the way people want it too. Its not our fault its history and heritage that has caused this. Thats why Rave will always be a small niche thing here.
Old March 18th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #141
bucky
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to bucky Send a message via AIM to bucky
Quote:
Originally posted by RoB-B
I dont know if there is much of a hhc scene in buffalo or rochester

but have you thought about throwing a larger party there?
If you've been to either of my hhc parties, Eyeopener, or Super Ultra MegaHappyFunRave then you'd probably say they were similar to hulla's

There's a nice size hhc scene here in Buffalo, will hopefully throw another one soon!
bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 05:42 AM   #142
RoB-B
Hullaboarder

i was supposed to go to supermegafunrave or whatever it was
didnt
i went to one at the funhouse or something, it was a good party, i think babyann was there
and markeg maybe?>??
but ya, they were good times
Old March 19th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #143
EagleScorpion
Hullaboarder
Asteroids Champion! High Score: 58340  Pinball Champion! High Score: 2755  Starship Legend Champion! High Score: 1442  Alien Terminator Champion! High Score: 48924 

Send a message via AIM to EagleScorpion
Re: >>> Discuss: The End of big parties in Toronto? Economics of the rave scene.

Quote:
Originally posted by anabolic frolic
This is a long read but i think very important.
[size=3]

So where does that leave us? With NO large events. Some of you will say "good riddance" but I would like to state that the Toronto "underground" THRIVED when the big parties were running at full tilt back in '99.

EVERYTHING WAS SO PHAT IN 1999!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVEN BACK HERE IN PHILLY SHIT WAS POPPIN HARDCORE-NESS.. TELL ME.. WHERE DID THAT GO?!?!?!? I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR IT EVER SINCE...

make the damn tickets 40 bucks... or even better.... 45 follars!! frolic I FOR ONE AM WILLING TO PAY IF IT MAKES IT POSSIBLE!!! Who else is with me?!?!?!!

Last edited by EagleScorpion : March 19th, 2003 at 02:15 PM.
EagleScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #144
EagleScorpion
Hullaboarder
Asteroids Champion! High Score: 58340  Pinball Champion! High Score: 2755  Starship Legend Champion! High Score: 1442  Alien Terminator Champion! High Score: 48924 

Send a message via AIM to EagleScorpion
Quote:
Originally posted by shuko_x
Id go with the idea of a Rave club. i mean they are all over the UK why not have em here. You have all these people bitchin that havin a club would pretty much crap out the scene. I don't think so. The scene is all about the music and vibe. Not the location or anything. It shouldn't matter where the music is. As long as the vibe is kept its all good. Rave is a way of life, a philosophy. When u go to work, when u sleep, when u do what u do. PLUR 4 ever. I hope that someone makes a rave club cuz it would be better to have a place chill, dance what ever to new happycore music. Just like the Hard as it gets fridays at Audiowerks.

I SECOND THIS
EagleScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:16 AM   #145
tekcajder
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to tekcajder
Quote:
Originally posted by dagapman
Jack the prices! People would complain but then go anyway!

i'm assuming he doesn't want to hurt his fan base because raising the cost DOES drive a certain percentage of people away. i think he's looking for suggestions ASIDE from just raising the price.

i don't live in the TO area, so i can't physically do much ... but fund raising always works. though it takes time ... you can just plan on a large scale party at a future date while still continuing the smaller ones. this might seem infantile and just a drop in the bucket, but i see the situation that you're faced with and without someone to front the capital ... its very tough to do without jacking prices up.

you could try fund-raising through the radio (though i don't know what kind of permits would be required or how much that would cost)

sponsers were already mentioned ... and the cigarette bit is pretty rough (a catch 22)

you could always ask for help on the message board, if you need designers ... people to do security ... to help with promotion ... all the smaller things, i'm sure you could get people to do it out of the goodness of their hearts. i don't know how much it would help, but you never know. (could always ask even w/out throwing a large party ... still might help curb costs)

i'm sure there are alot of people that could help you organize things ... i've been going to hulla's since fall of 99' and i've had a great time and i'd always extend a helping hand if asked.

donno if any of that would help, but maybe it will bring up some new ideas.

cheers -james.
Old July 14th, 2003, 09:33 AM   #146
objectiview711
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to objectiview711 Send a message via AIM to objectiview711
ok ,here are some cost cutting ideas and suggestions toward sucsess of a large party

first it seems that noone is comin to see a UK MC ,it would be nice ,but not nescasary ,not to mention as far as hardcore mcs go, gobstoppa and jumper are as 'world class' as anybody

book ONE uk headliner ,just make sure its the biggest one you can get ,a name with draw ,i suggest scotty,and dont forget that you ,chris ARE a headliner

as time moves foward i seem to notice with my own eyes and ears, and from word of mouth that a higher percentage of hullabaloo ravers are comin from the states ,so in response ,book a US headliner and stress that your supporting the US scene(cloudskipper ,AC slater ,paulina taylor ) so as to ensure your usual US draw AND exapnd it

along this same line ,make sure you book a local from each of the local party crews i know alot of kids who dont go to hullas anymore but, they would come if you booked GOODFELLAZ ,and that whole crew is pretty easily reprezented in one set(tyco vs. psyklone with MC E.N.D.)

i would also greatly suggest cutting back the trance ,and have the second room be the "other" room ,trance ,jungle whatever else ,i dont see the viability of stressing that much trance,matbe im out of touch ,but it seems that hulla kids arent coming for the trance

a billion kids would flyer for you for a free ticket ,and if you got one kid from each far off city to flyer for you ,that means they WILL come to your party ,and they WILL bring freinds ,thusly more attendees , not to mention the flyers theyve handed out

if ticket prics went up 5 dollars , they WILL still sell ,end of story

also attack every rave board you can and KEEP UP WITH THEM
i just logged onto the 'st louis raver' board and i have a bunch of kids pumped to go to a party that isnt really even in the works yet,but staying in touch with them is really really important

the hullabaloo name carrys alot of weight ,and if kids want a big party ,you need to stress to them that they can/should/need to do a little bit of street level promotion..."hey 'friend from highschool' ,theres this huge ordeal like nothing youve ever seen goin on up in toronto ,you should really come up and bring 'that kid you hang out with 1' and 'that kid you hang out with 2' ,theyre really cool!!!! so are you comin ?oh ,youll think about it?
ok im gonna call you and make sure you have directions and stuff!!(then you drive the point home and make sure thay go)

myself and pointy sticks ride people like that and i can think of eight people between the two of us that showed up to the last GOODFELLAZ party based on the guerilla tactic ,that kind of ratio isnt going to apply across the board (because jen and i are just that cool) but encouraging that kind of behavior IS THE MOST UNDERRATED PROMOTION TOOL OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!

and if your stress level is thru the roof ,well i cant imagine that there arent a million kids who are ready willing and able to help in ANY way possible

think about it man ,it can be done.......
if you throw it.....they will come
if you throw it.....they will come
Old July 15th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #147
pointy_sticks
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to pointy_sticks Send a message via AIM to pointy_sticks Send a message via Yahoo to pointy_sticks
Quote:
Originally posted by objectiview711
jen and i are just that cool

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!1

Old April 21st, 2004, 09:49 PM   #148
chEArbEAr
Hullaboarder

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to chEArbEAr
^^ooh wow..i agree with a bunch of things that objectiveview has said.

Anabolic...are you still looking to eventually one day throw a large event again..cause these posts are from 2003

[iFX]
chEArbEAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 11:46 PM   #149
S2S
Hullaboarder

Yes he is. He has been wanting to for some time now, but he is too afraid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolic frolic
Most promoters, myself included, are too afraid to charge for a big party what the fair price should be and so we're left with a bottom line that tells us we can't do it.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:42 AM   #150
anabolic frolic
Administrator

I started this thread in 2001. The scene doesn't have much in common nowadays with when I wrote this. While I certainly hope and am ready to take it up a level if the situation ever presents itself, it will be even a bigger challenge then when I wrote this originally. For the time being I am very content throwing some amazing events that are very satisfying for all involved.