The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old June 27th, 2002, 12:23 AM   #1
o0CrAnK0o
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to o0CrAnK0o Send a message via AIM to o0CrAnK0o Send a message via MSN to o0CrAnK0o
Exclamation The Great Ecstacy Cover-up

The great ecstacy cover-up how clubbers' glowing brains prove we're being lied to about E

(article from mix mag magazine june 2002)
ps. this is uk english, so dont blame me for any punctuation errors, im typing as i see it written....

In 1998, 2 american scientists claimed to have prrof that taking ecstacy caused permanent brain damage to your brain. The research led to expenmsive anti-drug advertising, harsh prison terms for E dealers and plenty of scared parents. Four years on,, new scientist magazine has found that the research was badly designed and proves nothing at all.

George Ricaurte and Una McCann, of John Hopkins university in Baltimore, injected volunteers with a chemical which released harmless radiation when it came into contact with particular healthy brain cels. In a brain scanner, healthy cells would glow, while unhealthy cells would remain dark.

there results seemed conclusiv: non-drug users showed healthy, colourfull scans, while E users had dark scans, with what looked like holes in healthy brains.

The resultswhere godsend for the US aint-drug campaigners, who used the scan images on posters and in documentaries. The results also appeared in a report into sentencing in US prisons, resulting in harsher penalties for ecstacy dealers than for those dealing heroin.

but now new scientist has found huge flaws in the research.

Ricaurte's and McCann's study involved just 14 heavy E users, many of whom took other drugs but weren't blood tested.

The results of their scans were also incredibly varied, making it impossible to draw a definate conclusion about whether E was harmfull in the longterm. For example, some E users' brains were ten times brighter than non-E users and the experts New Scientist spoke to said there simply wasn't a pattern.

Far more money is spent on researching E than on testing similar drugs like prozac. Some scientists also believe scientific journals refuse to publish papers that appear to endorse ecstacy use. A study conducted in Edinburgh in 1999 found the brains of male E users were identical to those of non-users, but uncovered differences among women. The media reported the study's findings as "Ecstacy damage worse for women".

The New Scientist repot doesn't prove E is safe in the long term, but suggests we should be wary about believing scientific 'evidence' hyped by right wing papers like the daily mail.

"there are no holes in the brains of ecstacy users," a toronto neuropathologist told New Statesman. "If anyone wants a straightforward answer to whether ecstacy causes any brain damage, it's impossible to get one from these papers."
no craig
oh, i thought u said crank, i was gonna say, i did that stuff once...
o0CrAnK0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2002, 01:57 PM   #2
MadChemist
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MadChemist
omg I never thought the government would ever do anything that wasn't in my best interest! And you mean the drug companies might have a hand in this paranoia building too?

My world is all topsy turvy.

MadChemist
MadChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2002, 02:08 PM   #3
o0CrAnK0o
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to o0CrAnK0o Send a message via AIM to o0CrAnK0o Send a message via MSN to o0CrAnK0o
^^^lol, THE WORLD IS CORRUPT!!!
Old June 27th, 2002, 02:31 PM   #4
Dj Borg
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Dj Borg
I really doubt that more money is spent on E research than research on ligitimate drugs.

How do you find the corruption, follow the rich white man. Simply put, there is more money in finding more uses for existing drugs or finding new drugs than there is in researching the effects of an illegal substance.

Why would I go to work at a small lab to find out that E is good or bad for you? Who cares? If I find out it's bad everybody from parents to politicians to the medical comunity says "duh??, obviously it is". If I find out it's not bad I become an outcast for saying so. Either way it does not further my career or bank account.

Try research on organ rejection supresion drugs, drugs that cost up to $1200 a dose and are manufactured at 10,000 pills per hour. That's where the money is.

There is such a hugh demand for chemists right now that you couldn't get one to spare time for "charity work" cause that's exactly what it is.

The very fact that the article states that more money is spent on E than prozac without any supporting evidence places the entire text in question.

Don't post poorly written and researched articles here to justify your addictions.

It's not the E that I'm worried about anymore anyways. Since the bikers took over the extasy trade, pills have become more and more adulturated with dangerous chemicals. I stopped using completely when I started blacking out and waking up sketched beyond belief. The drugs out there now are shit and that in itself, the E debate put aside, is the biggest problem.
Old June 27th, 2002, 03:20 PM   #5
EagleScorpion
Hullaboarder
Asteroids Champion! High Score: 58340  Pinball Champion! High Score: 2755  Starship Legend Champion! High Score: 1442  Alien Terminator Champion! High Score: 48924 

Send a message via AIM to EagleScorpion
Ecstacy used to be so fun for me, but then i needed to take like 2-3-4 to even get a good feeling going, so its not even worth the $$$. get drunk instead.
Old June 27th, 2002, 05:25 PM   #6
o0CrAnK0o
Hullaboarder

to justify my addictions??? who the fuck are u to even say i do e? how the fuck do u know i do e? i dont do e, in fact i rarely do drug at parties now, ill drink beyond belief, but dont do e anymore, next time think about your lil stuck up comments before posting them you stupid fuck....
Old June 30th, 2002, 02:20 AM   #7
MrGuv (Mathiau)
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via AIM to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via MSN to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via Yahoo to MrGuv (Mathiau)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Borg
I

Don't post poorly written and researched articles here to justify your addictions.

Seriously like wtf is that shiet?
as it says

some one is simply passing on info for people to read, whether poor or not, sorry not everyone is an english major and it is filled with what seems to be BS facts anyways.

So little mr "i know where all E comes from, cause i am so dam educated"

faq'n RELAX! and lose the "accusations", tis rather sad.
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© They know what is what, but they don't know what is what........ they just strut..... WTF! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© Life ain't short, your just dead for too frick'n dam long! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸

Last edited by MrGuv (Mathiau) : June 30th, 2002 at 02:24 AM.
MrGuv (Mathiau) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2002, 04:47 AM   #8
Dj Borg
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Dj Borg
Quote:
Originally posted by MrGuv (Mathiau)

Seriously like wtf is that shiet?
as it says

some one is simply passing on info for people to read, whether poor or not, sorry not everyone is an english major and it is filled with what seems to be BS facts anyways.

So little mr "i know where all E comes from, cause i am so dam educated"

faq'n RELAX! and lose the "accusations", tis rather sad.

Actually your right. I thoght about it after I wrote it and it was kinda harsh. So sorry to those offended.
Dj Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2002, 05:38 AM   #9
MrGuv (Mathiau)
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via AIM to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via MSN to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via Yahoo to MrGuv (Mathiau)
^^^^

well, i must say i did react rather harsh myself..lol

(that is why i should not post from work on a bad day..lol)
Old July 1st, 2002, 02:40 PM   #10
Technology
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Technology
hate to break this to you, but e is really bad for your liver, so it might as well be frying your brain.
Technology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2002, 05:25 PM   #11
MrGuv (Mathiau)
Hullaboarder

E is bad for alot of things, but people will still do it. no matter what is said or done.
Old July 6th, 2002, 04:29 AM   #12
o0CrAnK0o
Hullaboarder

alcohol is just as bad for your liver, dont see people stopping that either, the war on drugs is one not to be won, they have been around since the dawn of time, used in religious gathering, and such to a relaxing experience, the government might as well give up and at least work together to make them safer and cleaner, iuts the best theyll be able to possibly do
Old July 7th, 2002, 04:13 PM   #13
ghost_girl
Hullaboarder

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ghost_girl
Quote:
Originally posted by MrGuv (Mathiau)
E is bad for alot of things, but people will still do it. no matter what is said or done.

If you are smart and don't do what others do then
yes you do have respect for your self.

this site has a few articles.

www.erowid.org

There have been far many death storys on Europe, the
United states and canada allso down in Australia.

these pills were made in the earlly 70's
in germany for a testing that which became
a popular drug world wide.

Last edited by ghost_girl : July 7th, 2002 at 04:22 PM.
ghost_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2002, 01:41 PM   #14
eLECTRONIC pROGRESSION
Hullaboarder

MDMA was developed back in the 40's as a truth serum by guess who?

the US government!!!

after which it was used by psychologists as an 'empathogen' to allow people to open up in the sicties and seventies. the adverse affects of which had people feeling really good, so in the 80's, the, guess again... US government banned it because it was being used recreationally (you could actually order the stuff by mail), which resulted it what is today... potentially dirty, woefully illegal sales of the stuff, and now we're getting fucked because of their fuck up.

if you ask me, the politicians should be arresting themselves.

-the pong
eLECTRONIC pROGRESSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 12:05 AM   #15
MrGuv (Mathiau)
Hullaboarder

^^^

yeah, like that would ever happen, and like they will ever take blame for it.
Old August 8th, 2002, 06:00 PM   #16
o0CrAnK0o
Hullaboarder

well...the death stories, now take into concideration, what are most pills today comprised of...mda, mdma, pma, a lil of this and a lil of thats, toss in some crystal or speed, and u have the pills being sold in majority now....its impossibly to tell what your getting in todays pills, even the testings kits cant give u a complete chemical breakdown...but think of this, how many of those deaths involved pure, uncut mdma? and mdma if taken properly and ish, shouldnt have the dangerous effects...
Old August 13th, 2002, 10:54 AM   #17
zenmaster_chi
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to zenmaster_chi
Quote:
Originally posted by eLECTRONIC pROGRESSION
MDMA was developed back in the 40's as a truth serum by guess who?

the US government!!!

after which it was used by psychologists as an 'empathogen' to allow people to open up in the sicties and seventies. the adverse affects of which had people feeling really good, so in the 80's, the, guess again... US government banned it because it was being used recreationally (you could actually order the stuff by mail), which resulted it what is today... potentially dirty, woefully illegal sales of the stuff, and now we're getting fucked because of their fuck up.

if you ask me, the politicians should be arresting themselves.

-the pong

Actually, MDMA was discovered more or less by accident by German Pharmaceutical company Merck around 1912 when they were trying to synthesize another pharmaceutical Hydrastinin.

It did however make it's be resurfacing during American military testing.

Just thought I'd clarify this point.

zenmaster_chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 12:42 PM   #18
MadChemist
Hullaboarder

"E bad for your liver?"

Can you quote a source?

I'm familiar with the reported neurotoxic effects but I'd very much like to know about mechanism of liver damage.
Old August 24th, 2002, 12:59 PM   #19
jp_snow
Hullaboarder

if you want to read up on e and the effects of it. then go to www.dancesafe.org. the site also has alot different pills tested so you can see what is really in them.
jp_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2002, 04:01 PM   #20
EagleScorpion
Hullaboarder
Asteroids Champion! High Score: 58340  Pinball Champion! High Score: 2755  Starship Legend Champion! High Score: 1442  Alien Terminator Champion! High Score: 48924 

Send a message via AIM to EagleScorpion
oh just quit your whining and take 5-HTP 4 hours before and 2 prozacs the day after youll be fine... SHEESH!!
EagleScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2002, 07:35 PM   #21
BUN*A*J
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to BUN*A*J
soall of you still think swalloing or snorting these happy lil pills is beneficial of your health??

lol think again
BUN*A*J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2003, 07:55 AM   #22
Trixxy
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Trixxy
The question whether ecstacy use causes brain damage is absolutely obvious to anyone who uses their brain.

New research has found that long-term ecstacy use has been linked in Parkinson's. Ecstacy does damage brain cells, and this can result in brain damage later on in life.

Nothing you can say can justify your actions, as an excuse to use ecstacy.
Old January 7th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #23
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
Quote:
Originally posted by EagleScorpion
get drunk instead.

Alcohol is terrible for you. Long term use can cause your cerebral cortex to shrink. There are many articles on this Google Search on Alcohol Brain Shrink
Old January 7th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #24
monstercan-D
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by Trixxy
The question whether ecstacy use causes brain damage is absolutely obvious to anyone who uses their brain.

New research has found that long-term ecstacy use has been linked in Parkinson's. Ecstacy does damage brain cells, and this can result in brain damage later on in life.

Nothing you can say can justify your actions, as an excuse to use ecstacy.

Sounds like someone 'lost the magic'
Old January 13th, 2003, 01:54 AM   #25
MadChemist
Hullaboarder

Has anyone else heard the possibility that many cases of Alzheimers / Parkinsons may actually be misdiagnosed Jakob-Kreutzfeld (aka mad cow?)?

I agree with Trixxy. Ecstacy does cause some brain damage. The question is how much, is it reversible, and does it cause functional impairment.

There is a great deal of redundancy build into the cerebral cortex. The old saying we only use 10% of our brain may be god's way of saying. I giveth thee 90% to f**K around with and use chemicals.

or... maybe not

:P