View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:42 AM   #2
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
The bass is a trade off from the crowd mics picking up the music from the PA. If there was no crowd you'd get all the bass of the original track. A sound engineer could better explain this phenomon than I.

I try to lower the crowd levels when the beats are kicking to minimize that effect. Listening with my headphones I'll try and find the best levels. I've listened to all the sets extensively while driving, but I can't say they've been tested on a big honking car system.

Producing live sets is difficult though. There are so many factors, and there are no "do overs" if something wasn't captured properly. I never manipulate the bass or treble levels though, I'm just mixing down what's there.

Having said all that, this is the first time I've loaded all the sets into a pro-tools system and we ran compression on the crowd levels. the effect has been to boost the lesser crowd noises (whistles) while taking away from the music being captured again. But only you'll be able to tell me if there was a difference with how it sounds in your car.

Regardless, I think the AGT sets will go down in history as the best live sets ever put out, they're simply incredible.