The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > All Good Things - The last ever Hullabaloo
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old July 29th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #1
LordX
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to LordX
AGT Recording BASS level

Anabolic:

I bought the Pacific Sun 7 cd set a month or so ago and I love it. However the BASS does not seem to be recorded very loud if at all. I have a pretty nice car audio system, and would love to show it off with AGT. With all of the work that you have put into mastering these final sets, has the bass level been boosted to match to loud treble?

I guess its really too late to ask since I ordered it already, but I am still curious.
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:42 AM   #2
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
The bass is a trade off from the crowd mics picking up the music from the PA. If there was no crowd you'd get all the bass of the original track. A sound engineer could better explain this phenomon than I.

I try to lower the crowd levels when the beats are kicking to minimize that effect. Listening with my headphones I'll try and find the best levels. I've listened to all the sets extensively while driving, but I can't say they've been tested on a big honking car system.

Producing live sets is difficult though. There are so many factors, and there are no "do overs" if something wasn't captured properly. I never manipulate the bass or treble levels though, I'm just mixing down what's there.

Having said all that, this is the first time I've loaded all the sets into a pro-tools system and we ran compression on the crowd levels. the effect has been to boost the lesser crowd noises (whistles) while taking away from the music being captured again. But only you'll be able to tell me if there was a difference with how it sounds in your car.

Regardless, I think the AGT sets will go down in history as the best live sets ever put out, they're simply incredible.
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:27 AM   #3
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJLeash
can't wait
or
www.myspace.com/djleash
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #4
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
there ya have it...

and just for the record... my bf has a huge system in his trunk...

a kenwood deck with a sub output .. and a huge amp pushing 2 dual coil 12's
as well as another amp ran directly into the low-out of the deck that pushes 6 61/2 cab speakers, and well as the deck alone pushing the 8 tweeters he has all over the cab...

if anyone knows sound.. this is pretty bangin'

my point being tho, i listen to the Funtopia 7 pack all the time while tooling around with him... and honestly, it shakes my teeth... no kidding...

maybe u just need to make some adjustments to ur deck/amp... and figure out a way to pull the lows out better...

then again.. i, like frolic said, am no sound engineer... so who knows... but i think that these will be great...

even with no bass... i would still sit and LOVE THEM ... ALL NIGHT LONG!
Old July 29th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #5
LordX
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to LordX
I wasnt complaining at all about the pacific sun pack. It was a great investment, and I am happy I bought it. I would love to try the funtopia pack in my car to see if there is a diff.

Its not necessarily the volume of the bass that is the issue, it could very well be the hertz that is getting through. The music is loud, very much so on the treble, and the subs are moving, but I think they are trying to push at 100 hertz as opposed to 20-50 hertz where they are sweet spotted for. So perhaps the lower freq's are getting cut out or were not recoreded in the origional? who knows.

I know its not the subs themselves, because when i listen to 'Hardcore Till I Die' they smash.

Either way, I will let everyone know when I get back to the states and lose myself in 8 hours of fun memories.
Old July 29th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #6
Hoppapotamus
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Hoppapotamus
i cant wait.. august just wont get here soon enough!
Old July 29th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #7
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Don't sweat it, I wasn't taking it as a complaint.

At the end of the day these are going to sound different than a commerically produced studio mix, just by their very nature.

To compare it to when I'm putting together a happy2bhardcore, those are mixed in a calibrated studio and I'm staring at these bouncing VU needles the entire time. We even start off with a test tone for reference. None of that is done for the live recordings and I'm left with just judging by ear the final output.
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #8
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
maybe u should adjust the ohms on ur amp... that sometimes gets impeded and affects the level at which your subs are thumpin..'
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #9
xRaVeRx
Hullaboarder

Photos: 7  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to xRaVeRx Send a message via MSN to xRaVeRx
almost all hulla reocrdings sound good 2 me...but as frolic said, there are no re-dos!
so if the quality isnt 2 par...well, what do u expect?!

but most [like 95%] of the hulla recordings i own, pump real good in teh car!
soooooooooo, yea
Old July 31st, 2005, 11:29 PM   #10
anabolic frolic
Administrator

I listened to these recordings extensively during a lengthy road trip this weekend and cranked them as loud as the system in my rental car would go and I thought they were kickin' and there's nothing I would do differently, even in light of this thread.

The boxes are being assembled in the next couple of days as we prepare to ship on Wednesday.
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:29 AM   #11
4real
Hullaboarder

Fucken Eh!!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:09 PM   #12
hauptma2
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to hauptma2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolic frolic
The boxes are being assembled in the next couple of days as we prepare to ship on Wednesday.

sweet i'm so psyched bout getting my box set!
-cory