User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old December 13th, 2001, 11:30 AM   #1
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Question Is "Location announced the day of" an outdated (and misleading) relic of the scene?

Just wanted to throw this out there as I'm curious how the majority of people feel about this.

Locations used to be kept secret for a couple of chief reasons...

a) the scene used to operate under the noses of the authorities and in some dodgy venues so advertising your location before hand was only asking for trouble or a potential shutdown.

and (more applicable):

b) Promoters when putting an event together had NO IDEA THEMSELVES where it might be held when flyers were being printed and would book the location in the weeks/days before the event. I myself threw many parties this way (and lost countless nights of sleep because of it). Hulla's #2, 3, 6, 7, 11 and 12 were all booked maybe 2 days ahead of the actual party. I used to find it somewhat amusing to have people claiming to know where it was going to be, when in fact I DIDN'T KNOW MYSELF and more than a few times I thought I may have to cancel the party.

Those days are long over, and promoters no longer throw events that either of the above would be applicable to. Nowadays step 1 of throwing an event is to book the venue, and once that is done you can start booking talent, etc...

Part of the recomendations the Government inquest into Raves came up with is that locations be listed on all promotional material and tickets. This was a particular sore issue with the police as well as they felt they couldn't do their jobs properly when their neighborhoods get invaded by thousands of people and most of the time it's a skeletel overnight shift for the police (a fair complaint).

Since those recomendations came out, I have followed them, although I seem to be the only promoter who does so.

Some people have complained that I shouldn't announce my location with the flyer "to keep it a mystery" but I just don't see the point, other than to get people's hopes up and decieve a few extra people into buying tickets. Especially with today's current scene and the fact that we have like 3 venues available that have been used again and again for a long time now. This isn't the old days where it the party could have been ANYWHERE (and usually was).

Can you honestly tell me you'd rather not know it was somewhere to only find out the day of it's at 1 of 3 tired old venues?

I won't be changing the way we operate as that's the way we're SUPPOSED to be doing it and it keeps the police happy, not to mention that I would feel crooked about deceiving people, but I'm curious as to how other people felt.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 11:43 AM   #2
cotter
Hullaboarder

hmmm

it seems that the only reasons not to announce the venue until a day in advance are now out-dated. and it would be nice to know the venue in advance when planning what parties to attend.

the police are already well aware of where the parties are taking place, and some are hired to work the parties.

it does seem as though venues are not announced, "to get people's hopes up and decieve a few extra people into buying tickets"

cotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 12:01 PM   #3
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Nubbie Send a message via MSN to Nubbie
I've always viewed it as being part of the fun of it all... You can always guess, but at the last minute, a venue might appear out of nowhere for a night of fun and games.

Its always something I've enjoyed, the guessing, the theories that pop out of people's head.

All in all, I think its good because it keeps people on their toes :]

Ummm... if the government says you need it on a flyer, then I guess it has to be on it right? So just don't release the actual flyer itself... release those wacky pre-flyers to get the hype up for it ;]

-=Nub=-
Nubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 12:05 PM   #4
Brandon
Hullaboarder

I see it as a nod to the past, a way of maintaining a link between what raving was and what it has become. However, with the situation in Toronto being what it is, big promoters should do everything they can to hold up their "end of the bargain" with the police/council. If it's at the Docks, advertise that it's at the Docks.

I don't think the deception argument holds water. If promoters put "new location" on their flyer only to hold it at one of the three "expected" venues in Toronto then that qualifies as deception hands down. There's no deception involved because ravers today don't have a whole lot of choice in terms of large party venues...everybody already "knows" where the party is going to be unless hinted at otherwise by promoters.

Keeping any mystique around large scale raves in Toronto is impossible, and like Anabolic Frolic said those days are long gone. I sympathize. However, as someone who throws parties outside of Toronto where there are still opportunities to find new locations and keep events secret, I don't see the need to change the tried and true method of promoting events on the downlow.

Kudos to Anabolic Frolic for attempting to continue promoting parties in good faith under less-than-ideal circumstances. Toronto promoters had to make a deal with the devil in order to survive, and the best you can do is make sure you've done what the authorities are asking for.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 12:53 PM   #5
gurlie
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to gurlie
I like the mystery of not knowing where the party is!

gurlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 01:09 PM   #6
societies_devil
Hullaboarder

i think the days of 'venue tba day of' are long over

like if you're not using the palais, docks or opera house...and its not a different downtown club that you're using...then yeah, you shoudl put venue tba because it'll bring a thrill

im just sick of promoters putting "new unused venue x-amount of square feet, etc. etc." on their flyer...and they end up using the docks

its a let down
and just a way to try and scam some extra ticket sales
societies_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 02:38 PM   #7
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
I agree. There used to be mystery and debate about venues... Bingo Hall? Hangar? Warehouse? Newz? Where oh where can it be??? But now... why bother? we know it's one of three, and can probably guess by the number of rooms and the size of the party.

If you have a new venue, by all means, surprise us... otherwise.. NO.

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Everybodies_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 02:43 PM   #8
feeboo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to feeboo Send a message via AIM to feeboo
i find it annoying to find out the day of. usually i'm the one that has to make plans and knowing in advance makes it much easier.
feeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 03:04 PM   #9
essBee
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to essBee

Myself personally liked waiting until the day of to find out where the party was going to be.

That was then there were other venues to choose from, such as The Newz, Exit, Tropicana, and shuttle bus service from Nathan Phillip Square.

I think now that nobody really uses or needs to use a shuttle bus for their parties people may need a few days notice to find ways to and from the venue therefore it really wouldn't be that necessary to postpone the announcement of the venue to the day of as long as all the 'authorities' are aware of whats going on.

That's just my personal thought on the idea.
-mike
essBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 03:23 PM   #10
Nubbie
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Nubbie Send a message via MSN to Nubbie
Quote:
Originally posted by feeboo
i find it annoying to find out the day of. usually i'm the one that has to make plans and knowing in advance makes it much easier.

Thats no excuse not to make plans in advance?

I remember those days, and we'd have rides planned, gas etc etc, the only thing you had to wait for was the location.

I don't see how not knowing its exact location can be that big of a setback?

-=Nub=-
Nubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 06:22 PM   #11
Rainbow Brit-E
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Brit-E
All the now used locations are close to each other anyways so making plans isn't a problem.

And I still like the thrill of not defintily knowing. It does provide a good link to the old days.

What i DO NOT agree with is promoters claiming the venue will be new *coughBigBUDandOtherscough* and then using lets say, the docks again.

So shhhhhh keep the venue a secret
Old December 13th, 2001, 06:24 PM   #12
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
I personally find it to be a pain in the ass. It doesnt change my plans or anything coz if i see a party i like then i'll go to it. But if it is going to be at one of the usual then the promoters dont really have any reason not tell us more than a day in advance.

I guess im still a little bitter over what happend with the last nightmare.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 09:07 PM   #13
HardcoreFever
Hullaboarder

Lightbulb My 2 cents !

Personally I like to know where i'm goin' before i make my plans. But in another way, some times a wish i didn't know that i was going back to Opera house or The Palais Royale.....'Shit'!

Knowing where the party is can be a deciding factor for some people who 'Do' buy their tickets in advance.

Old Venue = No show //// Old Venue+Good HeadLiners=Probably
New Venue = Most Likely //// New Venue+Good HeadLiners=YEAH

I don't know. I guess what i'm tryin' to say is...

If its at one of the old places, fine, book it but don't tell nobody where it is and try to get somewhere else and cancel it if ya can!

That way a venue is confirmed, you don't need to worry and people won't think that your not looking for New Venues Anymore.

SpLiff...
Old December 13th, 2001, 09:11 PM   #14
Anime_Phreak
Hullaboarder

Remember recent Nightmare, promoters fucked up and venue wasnt announced till 5-4 hrs before the event.

I bet that fucking sucked ass for out of towners.

I understand it must be very exciting for some to be kept in suspense...But personally i'd rather know well in advance, at least a few days in advance.
Anime_Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 11:39 PM   #15
SpArkLz
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to SpArkLz
I think it was kinda neat not knowing where you were gunna go before a party... for awhile there were a bunch of good venues and even before i caame along there were plenty... It seems kinda strange why we can't use the same venues as we did long ago... with the few exceptions of running water etc. I personally enjoyed Exit. However.... i dunno, idon't go to parties too often to be tired of any venue.... plus each promoter has the chance to make it a diferent place with an original atmosphere each time.... If they feel up to it.... Oh and the shuttle busses.... I miss them, they were the best BY FAR. i would give anything for a good shuttle bus ride to any hulla..or whatever party... oh well, maybe someday..... hey since we can't have the shuttle busses, why not bring back the bouncy castles... hehehe... oh dear. those were the daze.
but what can ya do? Simply remember i guess.

later.
Old December 14th, 2001, 12:55 AM   #16
~*~pRiNcEsS juLiA~*~
Hullaboarder

well I tried to post this before.. but my teacher saw me. hAhA.

ANyways, well I mean I can see things from both points of view.
I mean I guess I kind'a like the secrecy and all that goes along with the anticipation of waiting until the day of to find out where the partie is going to be held.

But I mean at the same time, I kind'a like to know just incase because there are some places I would rather not go to..like the Docks.

ANother thing, I agree with ^^ it is awfully annoying when promoters state on flyers "brand new venue" or whatever only to let us down by throwin the party at a venue that is definitely not new.!

LiVe LiFe... duNt LeT LiFe LiVe yEw
~*~pRiNcEsS juLiA~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2001, 03:18 AM   #17
CiG
Hullaboarder

HEllO?

I hate that... I would love to know where a party is going to be... Even when I do buy a ticket it's happened that I wont go to a party when I find out where it is... I can't have a good night if I don't like the place...

This is now though...

While there were still many venues around, I had no problem with not knowing where the party was until late in the afternoon... A lot of the venues were still new to me...

This thread sucks, now I wish we could have the international center back...

BYe nOW
Luka
CiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2001, 05:16 PM   #18
~*Blueberrie*~
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ~*Blueberrie*~
personally

i think that not knowing is just a pain in the butt!

knowing where parties are going to be is so much more convenient

I always thought that promoters were still doing that for the two reasons;

- they are afraid ppl may not come because of the venue
or
- and the one stated above- they don't really know where its going to be !

I guess its sort of fun not knowing, but knowing makes life that much easier!

jenii

ps i happen to like the palais...
~*Blueberrie*~ is offline   Reply With Quote