Old May 25th, 2002, 10:14 PM   #1
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Melville teen dies at Saskatoon rave

Melville teen dies at Saskatoon rave

Regina Leader Post

SASKATOON -- An 18-year-old Melville girl who died in hospital Monday after being rushed from a Saskatoon rave early Sunday morning, was seen vomiting minutes before she went into convulsions at the all-night dance party.

Police suspect that Ashley Blixrud may have died from a drug overdose, said Sgt. Jerome Engele of the integrated drug unit of the Saskatoon Police Service.

An autopsy done after her death was inconclusive and toxicology reports with a definitive cause of death could take months, he said.

MD Ambulance was called to Sid's Garage, 356 First Ave. N., at 5:49 a.m. Sunday, where they found the young woman in critical condition, said spokesperson Cynthia Block. Blixrud died at Royal University Hospital Monday afternoon.

Blixrud was in Grade 12 at Melville Comprehensive High School and was supposed to graduate June 27, said principal Richard Haacke.

Haacke knew Blixrud as a good student but one who stayed to herself.

"She was very quiet and very pleasant, easy to get along with," he said.

The school observed a minute of silence Monday and lowered the flag to half-staff, Haacke said.

Haacke did not know with whom she had gone to the Saskatoon event.

A man who was at the Saturday night party said Tuesday he went into the women's washroom after some girls came out saying someone was vomiting on the floor.

"She seemed really out of it, really sick, throwing up," said the young man who asked that his name not be used.

"She was helped up, she was awake and she took some water and she appeared fine ... Then she went and sat with friends.

"The people who were with her the whole time said she took half a pill or one pill of ecstacy," he said.

"All of a sudden she started having a seizure. She was on her stomach. There was commotion and her neck and arm looked stiff.

"She had a little bit of blood from her nose and she had some foam coming out of her mouth."

A female security guard took control among the approximately 100 people who were still present and told someone to call 9-1-1.

"Everyone was just trying to keep everyone calm and back away. The ambulance came and they stuck something down her throat, put her on a stretcher and took her away. She didn't come to the whole time."

"I don't know what more could have been done for her. She took drugs and she maybe drank too much water. Maybe that's the risk you take when you take illegal substances," he said.

Police are warning parents to supervise their teenagers who attend such events where many different kinds of drugs are available.

"Some of them are cocaine, marijuana, LSD, psilocybin, PCP, ecstacy, MDE, MDA, crystal meth and the list goes on," Engele said.

"Our police officers have attended raves and we have purchased drugs at every rave. We're purchasing ecstacy but when they come back from the labs the drugs are testing out as crystal meth.

"One time only did it test as ecstacy," he said.

The tablets sell for $25 or $30 each.

"Until toxicology comes back, we're not going to know ... The girl could have died from heat exhaustion."

The rave was organized by a group that regularly books the concrete-floored facility, said manager Mark Bolls.

The witness to the incident said several DJs from Montreal had come to play and some were disappointed that the dance was shut down soon after the ambulance left.

"I don't do drugs and when people do that it wrecks it for me. There's a lot of people who feel the same way.

"These parties are celebrations. When that happens it wrecks it for us," he said.

© Copyright 2002 Regina Leader Post
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2002, 12:33 AM   #2
ghost_girl
Hullaboarder

Photos: 4  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ghost_girl
This is all very sad......

after reading this story its all true this is what
many peoplewent through in past rave party's through out the 90's & some from the past 3 years.

I was once a a rave in Atlanta and i have
heard of some girl who overdosed there ..
mabey it was for drinking to much water or somthing.

but she has died allso.

Peoples lives are worth more then a stupid pill.

So please everyone think smart & don't do Ectacy pills..that's not what raves are all about.

Last edited by ghost_girl : December 21st, 2002 at 12:39 AM.
ghost_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2002, 05:22 PM   #3
HEATER
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to HEATER
so sad

my heart goes out to the family and friends
Old December 22nd, 2002, 03:11 PM   #4
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
Quote:
Originally posted by ghost_girl
Peoples lives are worth more then a stupid pill.

So please everyone think smart & don't do Ectacy pills..that's not what raves are all about.

I agree drugs are not what parties are about. There is a lot more to raves than drugs and I'm all for going to parties sober. But you have to keep in mind that very very few people over dose and die with ecstasy. You're much more likely to die in a car accident on the way to or from a party that by doing ecstasy at the party. I don't think you going to start telling people that their lives are worth too much to risk it by getting in a car.

It is really sad and tragic what someone dies at a party. There is almost always something that could have been done to prevent it. It is the responsibility of each person that uses ecstasy or any other drug for that matter, to educate themselves on what they are doing and to do it as safely as possible. It’s also the responsibility of the other ravers to keep an eye out for each other and to take notice when someone is in need of help. Furthermore, security has the duty to know how to properly handle a situation like this. I have never heard of someone taking half a pill and going into convulsions, vomiting, foaming at the mouth, and bleeding from the nose. It sounds like there was something other than ecstasy in the pill. A simple test on the pill done at a dance safe table might have shown this and saved her life.
Old January 7th, 2003, 07:50 AM   #5
Trixxy
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Trixxy
I wish people would see the fact that with each pill, they are risking their lives, and is this self-destructive behaviour really worth repeatedly doing?

In my opinion, i do not think so. Especially when people die so young, it's disheartening. Deeply saddening.

It's not the 'scene's fault, but the individual's, who made an independent choice to risk their life..