User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old October 17th, 2002, 03:47 AM   #1
Phlux
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Phlux
The Docks is history...

Looks like another venue has bitten the dust...

--------
What happened at the Docks hearing is this:

Instead of going through the long hearing (which was scheduled to last a
couple of weeks), the Liquor Board (actually it's now called the Alcohol and
Gaming Commission) made a deal with the Docks. The Docks admitted to some (though not all) of various infractions of the liquor act (to do with things like having fights on their property, I think) and received the following penalties:

-- they will lose their liquor licence for all of next May
-- they aren't allowed to have raves (and I don't know how raves are
defined)
-- the number of people they can have outside is to be reduced. I forget the exact numbers, but it was over a thousand to start with. I don't know the reason for this or how it will affect anyone but the Docks.

Because of this deal, there was no opportunity for anyone to testify. A
number of Islanders were there, as were quite a few policemen from 51
Division (who would have given evidence if there had been a full hearing).

However, there's nothing to prevent the liquor board from having the Docks on the carpet again if they seem to be breaking the rules again. From the noise point of view, it would be helpful if anyone with a noise complaint sent it to the liquor board (as well as to the City).
Phlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 04:05 AM   #2
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Docks was a world-class venue to hold a party in, and we'll never see anything that nice again.

I'm sure we'll see the typical "Thank God. I hated that place" posts, but I'd like to ask those people, are we better off or worse off having lost another venue, the last one that could hold a multi-thousand person event?
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 08:02 AM   #3
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
That's really unfortunate. That was an awsome place for Hulla.
Old October 17th, 2002, 11:32 AM   #4
DJ SMILZPERHOUR
Hullaboarder

The Docks was the ultimate venue in TO and the surrounding area even into NY state. It's sad to see them go.
Old October 17th, 2002, 12:53 PM   #5
shuko_x
Hullaboarder

looks like its just wemf to really look foward to in terms of multi venue....*DOH*
Old October 17th, 2002, 12:57 PM   #6
shuko_x
Hullaboarder

i think all the promoters in the GTA should all get together and pool all their resources and build one big ass super venue (ala gatecrasher etc..). Rather then wrestle with police and lawyers and gettin venues etc... Just build one
shuko_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 01:30 PM   #7
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
Sure, the cops would be on that place like flies on fly paper. You forget, raves are _evil_ in this half of the world.
Busta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 09:18 PM   #8
Phlux
Hullaboarder

I wonder sometimes if the municipal government and the Toronto Police have some secret agenda for Toronto's rave scene and have had one for a while now. Seems they've managed to sweep the entire scene under the carpet by putting through measures that have severly restricted rave promoters from putting on large scale events.

While we thought the first I-Dance was a major victory for the Rave Scene. I really think it accomplished nothing. While they lifted the ban on the Rave scene, they made it impossible for anybody who doesn't have $100,000 to lose to throw an event on city owned property because of the stringent PDO requirements placed on event organizers.

Now they've done away with The Docks. And from what I heard, the reason for the hearing had to do with fights that broke out over the summer on The Docks property. If this is true, what does it have to do with the Rave Scene? The docks doesn't rent out their venue during the summer... It seems to me the government just used it as an excuse to eliminate another large Toronto venue.

Yet the government stands by and does nothing when clubs like the Guvernment break I don't know how many fire codes during a recent event. Maybe it has something to do with the large amounts of liquor sold over the course of the night, where muxh of the profits will end up in the governments coffiers.

A Rave has never fit into the traditional business model, much of the profit is cash and therefore isn't claimed and therefore, the government has reaped very little from the scene and now feels the need to dispose of it. I duunno, maybe I'm seeing conspiracy theories where they aren't.. who knows..

Last edited by Phlux : October 17th, 2002 at 09:47 PM.
Old October 18th, 2002, 05:12 PM   #9
HEATER
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to HEATER
too too bad
I personally loved the Docks as a venue

another one bits the dust
HEATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2002, 09:30 AM   #10
Stoopid
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Stoopid
anyone who says the docks sucks, is just being spoiled

the docks was an excellent venue for any company that could fill it.

plus they had that huge freakin' laser.

Brad.

http://www.emp-productions.com
Stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2002, 02:15 PM   #11
§tarlite
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to §tarlite
Quote:
Originally posted by shuko_x
i think all the promoters in the GTA should all get together and pool all their resources and build one big ass super venue (ala gatecrasher etc..). Rather then wrestle with police and lawyers and gettin venues etc... Just build one

well said, gatecrasher is a dream venue!!!
*droolz*
Old November 11th, 2002, 06:47 PM   #12
Surreal
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Surreal Send a message via AIM to Surreal Send a message via Yahoo to Surreal
Would a Gatecrasher type venue work???.....you have to remember the whole midset of the Europeans vs that of the N. Americans towards "underground dance music" venues, it's very different.....If it happens I'm all for it....and I would love to help out any way that I can......anybody have any ideas?

Steve
Old March 7th, 2003, 08:51 AM   #13
MrGuv (Mathiau)
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via AIM to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via MSN to MrGuv (Mathiau) Send a message via Yahoo to MrGuv (Mathiau)
Quote:
Originally posted by Phlux
I wonder sometimes if the municipal government and the Toronto Police have some secret agenda for Toronto's rave scene and have had one for a while now. Seems they've managed to sweep the entire scene under the carpet by putting through measures that have severly restricted rave promoters from putting on large scale events.

While we thought the first I-Dance was a major victory for the Rave Scene. I really think it accomplished nothing. While they lifted the ban on the Rave scene, they made it impossible for anybody who doesn't have $100,000 to lose to throw an event on city owned property because of the stringent PDO requirements placed on event organizers.

Now they've done away with The Docks. And from what I heard, the reason for the hearing had to do with fights that broke out over the summer on The Docks property. If this is true, what does it have to do with the Rave Scene? The docks doesn't rent out their venue during the summer... It seems to me the government just used it as an excuse to eliminate another large Toronto venue.

Yet the government stands by and does nothing when clubs like the Guvernment break I don't know how many fire codes during a recent event. Maybe it has something to do with the large amounts of liquor sold over the course of the night, where muxh of the profits will end up in the governments coffiers.

A Rave has never fit into the traditional business model, much of the profit is cash and therefore isn't claimed and therefore, the government has reaped very little from the scene and now feels the need to dispose of it. I duunno, maybe I'm seeing conspiracy theories where they aren't.. who knows..

I think a place like the Guvernment tends to project a better image as a club then a "rave" @ the docks- as it has a:

Dress code
19 and over

These 2 items alone likely appeal more to the Government then an all ages party with more chance of their being an uncontrolled substance around, not that the Guvernment does not have it, but the Guv. is also likely more controlled by security - not to mention the money they do pump into the city on land taxes /rent / and liqour sales.

That is why many night clubs don't get hassled by the cops / Government - night clubs are more controlled ("usually") and tend to hold a more "mature" crowd ("usually") as many are 19 and over.
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© They know what is what, but they don't know what is what........ they just strut..... WTF! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© Life ain't short, your just dead for too frick'n dam long! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
MrGuv (Mathiau) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 07:46 PM   #14
xRaVeRx
Hullaboarder

Photos: 7  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to xRaVeRx Send a message via MSN to xRaVeRx
Quote:
Originally posted by shuko_x

^^^thas a wicked idea!! They should realli think of that

NiGHtMarE, HullA, Desiny, GoodFellaz Crew, etc..

^^ALL 2GETHER TO DOMINATE t.DoT
Old March 9th, 2003, 10:57 PM   #15
shuko_x
Hullaboarder

Either way it doesn't really matter cuz even if a superclub would be built it would be corrupted buy the fn "club" culture anyways cuz basically if u think about it....the guvernment is kind of a superclub but they'll never play hhc thats why....the hard underground stuff will never really sell big cuz its a different mentallity down here in N.A. So the plan is to find a job in the UK and live there

Old March 9th, 2003, 11:01 PM   #16
shuko_x
Hullaboarder

so just be happy with what we got i guess...it could be worse though......

*cough*** USA **cough***
Old March 10th, 2003, 01:41 AM   #17
frankeetailz
Hullaboarder

the docks was a great place to hold parties, abd it's too bad that fucked up shit had to go down.
frankeetailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 04:47 AM   #18
RoB-B
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to RoB-B
you could call the venue

ravers paradise

or

Canadas Ecstasy Land, you could have rides, pac man, a jumping zone
RoB-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #19
Phlux
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by xRaVeRx

^^^thas a wicked idea!! They should realli think of that

NiGHtMarE, HullA, Desiny, GoodFellaz Crew, etc..

^^ALL 2GETHER TO DOMINATE t.DoT

It would never fly.. Just buying the venue alone, assuming it's in Toronto, would cost close to a million dollars. And I don't think you'd find too many banks willing to give a out a mortgage to a group of Rave Promoters.
Old March 10th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #20
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
When you think about it, if someone had the millions it would take to invest in a new club, it would be foolish to go after anything other than the high spending drinking crowd.
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #21
DynamicHalfDuo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DynamicHalfDuo Send a message via AIM to DynamicHalfDuo
The greatest dreams have ever been attained by the fools who couldn't see common sense...and so found uncommon joy.

And yes, you can quote me on that.