User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old April 26th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #76
Troile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Troile
I remember about 100 customer's orders.

When they get in line I make their order for them so its ready when they get up to the counter.

No one ever waits in line more than 4 minutes when I'm working...And its usually much quicker. Sometimes 20 people jump in line at the same time...it happens.

Usually the only gratitude I get from customers is 'you're so freacking slow...why don't you go faster...bullshit like that'

I get it all day long...not that my job is hard...but I do it well and fast. And all I get are complaints.

bah. Tip your coffee hoes! do it, do it now!
Old April 27th, 2003, 06:43 PM   #77
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
it is mandatory that you get paid minimum wage by your employer.

here is all the facts
http://www.gov.on.ca/LAB/english/es...ts/fs_wage.html

if you're not getting paid $5.95 an hour, then you can legally request it.

there you go. the girl behind the bar has no legs to stand on.
case closed

ontop of it all, if you're not serving liquor, then you should be paid $6.85!!! So please don't bitch about something you obviously aren't going to act on. When I had problems at my work, and I was asked to do some shit i didn't want to do (and shouldn't have been doing), I told my boss that I refused to do it. He told me I was to either do the task he requested or i was fired. I picked up the phone and told him that I would call the labour board at that moment, and we'd get a ruling from them.. as soon as i did that, he backed down.. You just need to bring up the law when shit like this goes down... they will always back down.. and if they fire you for something they shouldn't, then you can file for unlawful dismissal.

for you others that expect tips because you're making less.... that's you're choice to work in the job you do.. you are not forced to. Don't say some BS that you need to pay bills and shit, and this is the only job you can find, because there are thousands of jobs out there. you just don't care to look for them.

** New - Dj Tranzit - This Is Why I'm Hot - 60 min hardcore fuckery ***
Old April 27th, 2003, 10:34 PM   #78
djcyclone
Hullaboarder

You guys still on this subject?

Sheesh, give it a rest... drinking sucks, tokin' is better!

Old April 29th, 2003, 02:54 AM   #79
funshine
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to funshine Send a message via AIM to funshine
Quote:
Originally posted by Busta
I don't know how it is in Canada, but here in the US people who make tips have to pay income taxes based on a percentage of their sales. So if you don't tip them then you are actually costing them money because they are paying taxes on the money you didn't give them.

I think that if you don't have the money to leave a tip then you don't have the money to by the drink, dinner, or whatever... I know that if I was making just a couple dollars an hour and some jack ass was too cheap to leave me a tip then I'd be pissed.

thats the funniest thing i've read all day.

so GWB will find it in his heart to boost the economy by doing away with taxes on stock dividends and capital gains, yet they actually tax tips like that?

wow.

i think america is due for another revolution.
Old April 29th, 2003, 04:26 AM   #80
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
$5.95 an hour is minimum wage for a server in Canada. $6.85 is the minimum wage for any other job.

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Old April 29th, 2003, 10:06 AM   #81
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
yes... my point was, $6.85 is the minimum wage for someone serving ALCOHOL..

if you're in a restraunt that doesn't server alcohol, then you should be making $6.85.

not to mention, you probably make more than $0.90 / hour in tips. that clearly makes up for the money you loose in minimum wages for being a server.
Old April 29th, 2003, 10:54 AM   #82
RaverPrincess
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to RaverPrincess
Well I just think it's completely retarded to have a lower min wage for servers in this day and age where people are a little cheaper, a little more worried about hanging onto as much of their money as they can. I mean unless you work in a high-end restaurant where the clientele have good etiquette and KNOW how to tip, you're screwed in this industry. But I think everyone needs to realize that the "tipping" issue isn't going anywhere. This is the way we do things here in North America, so if you want to have dinner out or go out for drinks, then you better be prepared to tip at least 15% - or stay at home. Man, sometimes, getting a 10% tip is good enough...ANY tip is better than NO tip. If you've got the money to go out and drop 70-80 bucks on dinner, than you best have the money to tip the person who made it possible for ya and treated you like a king, busting their ass to make sure you had a good meal.
Old April 29th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #83
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Exactly.

You people are cheap bastards.

MCED
Old April 29th, 2003, 03:02 PM   #84
grincoregenetix
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to grincoregenetix
Quote:
Originally posted by limey

And if youre going to say if i cant afford to tip then dont go out... If you servers cant afford not to be tipped then get another job. Im sure if you ever talk to a cook and they complain about tips then you'll tell them the exact same thing.

DAAAAMN STRAIGHT!!!!

(three snaps)

Last edited by grincoregenetix : April 29th, 2003 at 03:17 PM.
Old April 29th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #85
grincoregenetix
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to grincoregenetix
Quote:
Originally posted by DynamicHalfDuo

Holy shit, I saw that! I was directly behind him waiting to get a beer... first I laughed then I panicked then I laughed again when it was out... craziness.

hahahaha dood it wuz nutz. actually i was sitting against the wall watching the whole thing. totally saw u laugh but try not to. lol actually when he came back over i was like dood the kid behind you didnt know what the fuck to do, laugh or run for a fire extinguisher.
CHEERS

Last edited by grincoregenetix : April 29th, 2003 at 03:25 PM.
Old April 29th, 2003, 05:56 PM   #86
RaverPrincess
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Tranzit

moral of the story here..
i work in retail.. i don't serve food or drinks, but i do something very very similar.. i don't get tipped... (ok.. once).. i don't complain.. i was getting paid minimum wage, and i busted my ass off just like food industry people do..

now look at it in another perspective..
do the greeters/cooks/bus boys make tips? no...
just the wait staff and the bartenders...
do the bartenders make tips when they mix a drink, and a waitress serves them? no..

see.. it's all in the wait staff...
personally.. i think they SHOULD get some type of a tip... although i think MANY of them are greedy...

Have you actually ever worked in a restaurant? I have been in the service industry for years and years and every single restaurant I have ever worked at have all required wait staff to "tip out" to the bussers, cooks, hostesses and bartenders. Usually, it's 1% of your total sales for the night, usually a dollar for every 100 dollars in food sales on your final read of the night. Some places will take the 1% and then divide up all of the "tip outs" among the bussers, cooks, etc...however a few places I've worked at made me tip out seperately to everyone. Now you figure a dollar per hundred you sell to about 6 or 7 people, on a regular basis, that cuts into your tips right there. I had nights at the last place I worked where I ended up tipping out over 25 bucks before I left even when I may have only made 40 or 50 bucks in tips...It isn't a percentage of your tips, it's a percentage of what you sold. So again, those in charge are ASSUMING that customers are actually tipping what they should be when most times, the average tip is usually 10% not the 15% it should be. I think tipping out is a great idea, cuz the bussers, hostesses, and cooks etc dont' come into direct contact with the customers so they dont' have an opportunity to get tips, and they do alot of work and make the servers' jobs easier alot of the times.

But don't say that servers are greedy and no one else gets anything...even if they aren't getting tipped out by the servers, the hostesses, bussers, cooks, and bartenders make more per hour than the servers. I had a cook make more than me when I was MANAGING a restaurant so I dont' wanna hear them complain to me about not getting tips. THEY are gettin 7-8-9 dollars an hour, whereas a server gets under 6...
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:05 AM   #87
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder

i worked at swiss chalet for a couple months.
i worked as a bus boy, a cook, although i started as a dish boy.

not once did i recieve a tip of any sort there.
i know the servers work hard... but they have somewhat of the glamour job.. unless you've done dishes in a restraunt before, you have no clue what you're getting into..

you deal with some really nasty shit.. and for $6.85/hour, i was looking for a new job the day i started there, even though it was a temporary second job i took to pay off some bills that were racking up.

either way, i never got tipped, and i feel i did much more work than the servers did. they would make well over $4.15 / hour in tips... AND they were making more than $5.95 / hour.. they were in the area of $7 or $8 at least i believe
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #88
DoubleWide
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DoubleWide
At my job i really get screwed. We have no laws that say i deserve any large wage in the U.S. So i make 2.65 an hour plus tips. The bad thing is that our boss finds it necesssary in the morning to have no food expoditer or GU(dishwasher/trashman/busboy/etc). Sometimes even no host.

So in actuallity we are working our ass off because he is too greedy to shell out a few extra bucks. Oh and since we are corporate the managers get bonuses by screwing us over.
ie keeping labor to a minimum, no OT. I hate my job but it pays.
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #89
RaverPrincess
Hullaboarder

Well Swiss Chalet sucks then if they don't do anything to show gratitude towards the cooks, bussers etc. However, I wouldnt' say that being a dish kid is harder OR easier than serving, it's just a different job. I have done all jobs in a restaurant as training to be an Assistant Manager. I can tell you, there were days as a server where I would actually BEG my supervisor to lemme prep cook, or do the dish area, or even bus for gods sake - I got paid more and the work was easier. But hey that's just me.
Old April 30th, 2003, 01:06 PM   #90
DynamicHalfDuo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DynamicHalfDuo Send a message via AIM to DynamicHalfDuo
Quote:
Originally posted by grincoregenetix

hahahaha dood it wuz nutz. actually i was sitting against the wall watching the whole thing. totally saw u laugh but try not to. lol actually when he came back over i was like dood the kid behind you didnt know what the fuck to do, laugh or run for a fire extinguisher.
CHEERS

I think the thought train went something like this:

-HOLY SHIT SHE'S ON FIRE
-What if the liquor blows up?
-Oh good he got it out
-THAT'S HILARIOUS
-What if she's hurt?
-Where's my water?
-Ok she's fine
-THAT WAS HILARIOUS
-I wonder if she'll sleep with me now?

Old April 30th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #91
Arkane
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Arkane
Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleWide
At my job i really get screwed. We have no laws that say i deserve any large wage in the U.S. So i make 2.65 an hour plus tips. The bad thing is that our boss finds it necesssary in the morning to have no food expoditer or GU(dishwasher/trashman/busboy/etc). Sometimes even no host.

So in actuallity we are working our ass off because he is too greedy to shell out a few extra bucks. Oh and since we are corporate the managers get bonuses by screwing us over.
ie keeping labor to a minimum, no OT. I hate my job but it pays.

no min wage in the U.S? I find that hard to believe. last I checked I asked a couple american friends what the min wage in their state out of curiosity and they did have one
Old April 30th, 2003, 07:20 PM   #92
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder

look on the webpage for the ministry of labour in your state for labour laws..

it should be there

or call them.. they should be in the phone book
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #93
DoubleWide
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DoubleWide
There is a minimum wage 5.15 an hour just there are laws around buisnesses that include tipping. Therefore i make $2.65.
Damn corporate companies tryin to stiff working man.
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:22 PM   #94
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
For the record.. I tip pretty well at resurants.

The original issue here was having to tip a pint pourer that demands tips, lies about her pay, and doesnt give change out.
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:27 AM   #95
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder

ah yes.. the origonal topic

speaking of which, i had a little bit of a mishap last night
went out the the bar...
ordered 2 beers (as i was paying for 2 people)..
bartender opens the fridge, cracks the caps off, and takes my $10.00

total comes to $7.50.. i am owed $2.50 change.
what would you tip on this usually? I'd tip $1.50 on most occasions...

well... i turned my back to the bartender, as the cash register was on the other side of the bar... he walked over, took the change out, and then dumped it back into the till without offering me the change.. i guess he thought it was all his..

none the less.. i didn't tip next round so it evened out, and i didn't really want to say anything as this is the bar around the corner that is kinda our failsafe place if we don't want to walk far..

bah.. i am not pissed off at him, but just showing it happenes everywhere.

i am sure he probably intended to give it to me, although seeing as i had my back turned, he probably thought it was his. either way, he should have offered it..

that's the point
Old May 10th, 2003, 10:08 PM   #96
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Tranzit
and takes my $10.00

total comes to $7.50.. i am owed $2.50 change.
what would you tip on this usually? I'd tip $1.50 on most occasions...

$1.50 is an OK tip.

I usually round each drink up to $5 unless it's a particularly large order.

MCED
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #97
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder

the other thing that kinda pisses me off there, is we're in there regularly, and he knows we're not going anywhere.

there is NEVER anymore than 5 or 6 people in the bar, but he won't let us have a tab for like and hour or two.

we have NEVER shortchanged him, and always tipped well..
it's been lately i haven't tipped like i used to for this guy.
he's been a little snotty and got this attitude..