The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Stay Here Forever
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old June 9th, 2003, 01:57 AM   #1
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
HullaVenues - A History lesson!

Well, again as we reflect on the past 6 years I thought I'd recount all the venues Hulla has used over the years and some info about them.

ThE SpacE! - "Something Good". The E! Network's old clubspace, located in the basement of a meat packing factory. Doesn't get more oldschool than this space. The E! Network ran their popular Friday clubnights from this spot, and occasionally it was used for parties on Saturday. 1 large communal bathroom, a main danceroom and 2nd chill room (full of couches) that we cleared out to install a 2nd room sound system in. The Space shut down December 1997 after the building was sold and the E Network got unceremoniously evicted. SOS invited everyone to the last E Friday with magic markers to tag the place like crazy and make a final mark before the space was gone forever.

Ukranian Federation Hall - "Return of the Vibe". This was a really decent space. 2 seperate banquet halls on seperate floors of a building, each would hold approx 500-600 people. Nice stages in both rooms. The owners had no idea what the hell we were doing there, and the building manager pulled the plug on the party about 30 minutes ahead of time since he had enough. We even gave him a bottle of vodka at the beginning of the night to keep him happy! It was used for one more party a month later, but after that they had their floors refinished and refused to hold any more raves because of the damage.

Paladium nightclub - "Love & Magic". This was a nightclub in the Danforth area. Amazing main room and this party (our 3rd) was instrumental in kicking Hulla into the big leagues. We used the entrance bar as a 2nd room which sorta sucked, expecially with all the noise complaints we got from neighboring businesses. It was also run by Greek mob types who were brutal to do business with and there's no way I would have ever returned. A fitness gym now occupies this space.

The Warehouse - "Into the Blue" and "Foreverland". Now known as the Guvernment "Kool Haus" (I hate that name). The Warehouse was a staple of the Toronto rave scene and it seemed that virtually every big party for a 2 year stretch was held there. People despised going back so much, it was the biggest secret in the world that it was our venue for Foreverland. I didn't even tell me sound company where the party was till the day before, even though it had been booked for 6 weeks. The reality is that we'd all kill to use that spot again, but they won't rent out to "all ages" raves. Obviously they do plenty of 19+ events there.

Masonic Temple - "Meltdown". Mike Bullard's TV studio now occupies this spot, which was one of the ultimate venues ever. Amazing main room with balcony that encircled the dancefloor and a really decent second room. not to mention 3 other floors of smaller rooms that were available if you wanted. We were the last rave ever to occupy this venue.

Club Ministry - "Funtopia 1". Even though this party is fondly remembered, I was never satisfied with the venue and ultimately the party itself. Reasonably sized main room with sunken dancefloor and an upstairs second room. We also took over the neighboring club for a 3rd room because we were bursting at the seams. Owners were difficult to deal with (same old story with these club owners). Was used for more events in the following years, but the (new) management were such pricks no promoter would touch them. I have no idea the status of this space anymore, but I'd never use it again.

Club Newz - "Electric Dreams" "Rush Hour" and "For Those Who Know" - This space was a Hulla staple for a little while. Incredibly dodgy management who made sure they nibbled every dollar possible out of me. Huge main room that would hold 1500+ and a decent little back room, not to mention direct access to the parking lot which we would set a large chill out tent in. The club was available to raves for a while since the regular club business was floudering so the owner made some quick cash. It has since changed owners and thus no more parties there.

International Centre - "Big Top". This was the king of all spaces. A world class convention centre space that you could use in so many different ways. It was expensive, but considering the amount of people you could put in there, the cost per head was reasonable (as long as you did big numbers), far more economical than the CNE. I was so happy with Big Top that if it was possible I would have signed an exclusive deal to hold all our parties there. We had 4000 people that night and still tons of room. Unfortunately after our event many other raves were held there following ours the Peel police got annoyed and eventually banned all rave-type events from the city!

Bingo Hall - "Funtopia 2". This party was hours away from being cancelled since I had no venue and only a couple of days left. Luckily the Jane & 7 bingo hall was still available, as it was in mid-renovation to becoming a new nightclub. Huge main room, and we set up a 2nd arena tent in the parking lot, in addition to a chill tent. The infamous bouncy slide also made a short appearance before someone popped the thing. Is now "Palazzo" the nightclub.

Underground Parking Garage - "View to a Thrill". The infamous venue and arguably the last of any sort of "illegal" rave venue Toronto has ever seen. I would never touch a venue like that again for liability reasons, but what a crazy place for a party.

The Docks - "Ooh Crikey, wot a Scorcher!" "Funtopia 3" "Space Invader" "Rhythm of Life". Another amazing space. 2 awesome rooms, great facilities, tent if we needed it. Unfortunately they got into trouble with the liquor board for some violations and part of their penalties was they couldn't hold any more "raves" so that's it for that.

The Opera House - "Group Hug, Group Hug 2001, idance Preparty, Turn up the Music...Get Hype". What was originally just a temporary spot inbetween big parties has become our home. There just aren't any spots left, and when you consider the super friendly and cooperating management and my exhaustion of years of goombah club owners, it will take the ultimate no-risk spot to get me to look at something else. Still a world-class rave venue by 2003 standards. I think everyone has accepted the days of roaving venues are long behind us and we can simply focus on making each party the best it can be. We'll probably stay there till the day Hulla hangs it up for good.
Old June 9th, 2003, 04:00 AM   #2
DynamicHalfDuo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DynamicHalfDuo Send a message via AIM to DynamicHalfDuo
That was some interesting reading for those of us who have never known any venue besides the Opera House. Good stuff.
Old June 9th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #3
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
oh how i miss the newz..
as much as people bashed it, i loved that venue

** New - Dj Tranzit - This Is Why I'm Hot - 60 min hardcore fuckery ***
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:56 PM   #4
*MoonDancer*

Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to *MoonDancer* Send a message via MSN to *MoonDancer* Send a message via Yahoo to *MoonDancer*
I loved all the hulla venues.. except the under ground parking lot... ... its was dusty there... and i disliked the port-a-loos YIK!
OTher than that.. HUlla has had awesome memorable venues!
*loves hulla*
Kris~
Old June 10th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #5
kandeegirl2
Sweetness and Light Mod

Photos: 29  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to kandeegirl2 Send a message via AIM to kandeegirl2 Send a message via Yahoo to kandeegirl2
i like the opera house just fine, but it would be fun and interesting to go to another venue just to see the difference ya know
Old June 11th, 2003, 02:23 AM   #6
Keron_DaFunky1
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Keron_DaFunky1 Send a message via Yahoo to Keron_DaFunky1

I liked the newz too, Paul...but that place was NOTORIOUS for flooding within like an hour

I love hulla...and almost every venue it's had... no big complaints at all
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #7
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
yea.. the good old river between the rooms..

but if you knew what you were doing, there was another passageway at the back of the stage
Old June 11th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #8
monstercan-D
Hullaboarder

The Docks.... last of the big-time Hullas...
Old June 11th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #9
EagleScorpion
Hullaboarder
Asteroids Champion! High Score: 58340  Pinball Champion! High Score: 2755  Starship Legend Champion! High Score: 1442  Alien Terminator Champion! High Score: 48924 

Send a message via AIM to EagleScorpion
hulla hanging it up for good? this could actually EVENTUALLY HAPPEN? noooooooo.... no no no.....

im afraid this crisis has just begun...

Hulla will never die...

the torch will be passed...

and hulla will continue for thousands of years..

when im 62 and on my deathbed (haha) I will die listening to the orange and silver colored happy2bhardcore chapter 83

Last edited by EagleScorpion : June 11th, 2003 at 03:34 PM.
Old June 11th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #10
Race 2 Da Beat
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Race 2 Da Beat
The docks scared em after that guy got stabbed....

I still remeber sitting just outside that glass room, tripping out (I didnt see anything) but I just didnt fell well, and frolic came up to me and asked me if I was doing ok..... holy shite, I'll never forget that....

Kelly
Old June 12th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #11
Kamehameha
Hullaboarder

Re: HullaVenues - A History lesson!

Quote:
Originally posted by anabolic frolic

Underground Parking Garage - "View to a Thrill". The infamous venue and arguably the last of any sort of "illegal" rave venue Toronto has ever seen. I would never touch a venue like that again for liability reasons, but what a crazy place for a party.

That must have been f'ing wikkid!
Old June 12th, 2003, 10:46 AM   #12
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder

yea.. that unforgettable docks night.

i was just leaving the second room when everything took place.
but that's a story that doesn't belong on this board.
no need for it

it's a happy place here