User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old October 24th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #1
Camrose
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Camrose
Ottawa Elections - Who's pro/anti-rave?

Just wondering who is pro-anti rave running for Ottawa Mayor this November 10th. Right now, they just seem like fakes.

Amy
Camrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:42 AM   #2
pErMAsKeTcH
Hullaboarder

Photos: 18  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to pErMAsKeTcH Send a message via MSN to pErMAsKeTcH
Wow, talk about needing a *bump* for a stagnant post
pErMAsKeTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 05:44 PM   #3
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 28 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to chipakapockets
Heh... Ottawa's ALL anti-rave now. No more raves for the good old city of Ottawa.

That's a shame, too.

PLUR,

Chip

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989
chipakapockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:59 AM   #4
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Saffron Send a message via Yahoo to Saffron
Meh can't they just throw an Ottawa rave in Hull?
- Thom Yorke
Saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:08 PM   #5
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

I don't know. It's quite possible the bylaw carries over into Hull, too. Someone was explaining it to me in greater detail, and I think it basically made Hull out of the question for parties, too.

What they should do is hold parties in Kingston and then all the Ottawa kids could come down here for parties.

Infact... that's kind of what I'm doing... by getting their DJ's to spin here.

PLUR,

Chip
Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:43 AM   #6
Saffron
Hullaboarder

^^ Ah kingston parties. There were a few back in 1999. At the Manor and the old 477 club PinkStar even rented out a boat marina & Restaurant just outside and held a wicked bad party there.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:57 AM   #7
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

I remember those parties. I was at quite a few of them... but then things fell apart. I forget exactly why they ended. I'm bringing them back, though.

PLUR,

Chip
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:03 AM   #8
Saffron
Hullaboarder

^^ Kristine just didnt want to throw them anymore, it was alot of work. And I don't think Dan Akroyd wanted his restaurant to be a rave restaurant.

Drunk beach volleyball was awesome. You were there! Holy shit man that was BACK IN THE DAY. and most of the people who were at the party were from Toronto which was so ironic.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:31 AM   #9
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

I don't think I was ever at any of the parties by his place... but I was usually fucked out of my tree at those parties... so half the time, I didn't even remember if the party I was at was in TO or Kingston!!!

Yeah, I know it was back in the day... I was there when all the racket started, then I took some time off to... well... actually the time off was a stupid choice... so upon realising that, I came right back to the scene.

PLUR,

Chip
Old August 5th, 2004, 02:16 AM   #10
pErMAsKeTcH
Hullaboarder

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffron
Meh can't they just throw an Ottawa rave in Hull?

Hej! Hur står det till? Jag är inte så bra

Oh dear god if Brad$4Brad throws another party at the Auberge way out in Gatineau I am going to boycott it

Hej då

Last edited by pErMAsKeTcH : August 5th, 2004 at 02:21 AM.
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #11
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Ha ha ha... Exactly!!!! No wonder the rave scene had a bad trip in Ottawa!! LoL.

PLUR,

Chip
Old August 5th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #12
exT
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to exT
hull is now part of gatineau, and yes they banned raves too. although i'm not really sure of all the details with that.. and we just got banned in the village of chelsea as well. so you gotta go at least 45 minutes from downtown to reach a town that will allow raves (Bourget is our best option right now)...

although some brave promoters are trying to get a "Rave Permit" for september 17th to throw a party downtown... i have my fingers crossed. hopefully you will all pray for us too. we need the support.
Old August 5th, 2004, 11:15 AM   #13
pErMAsKeTcH
Hullaboarder

I guess Ottawa's tightened up quite a bit since I left in 1999 and only came back last year.... So no more Auberge parties *phew*
Where are details about this Ottawa anti-rave to be found? Or basically in a few words, what have they changed?
Old August 5th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #14
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Hah!! I knew it!!! I was sure Hull woulda done that. Just to fuck with the ravers!!

Don't worry, exT, you guys are in my prayers!! And have faith!! The parties will return!!

And there will always be a place for you guys to spin in Kingston. I'll have a venue sorted out shortly. Damned venue owner and her spontaneous plans. I should... do something un-nice to her!!! Like... put salt in her coffee!!!

PLUR,

Chip
Old August 5th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #15
exT
Hullaboarder

Schedule No. 6
Relating to All Night Dance Events

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A by-law of the City of Ottawa amending By-law No. 2002-189 respecting regulating, licensing and governing all night dance events.
The Council of the City of Ottawa enacts as follows:

1. Section 1 of By-law No. 2002-189 entitled "A by-law of the City of Ottawa respecting the licensing, regulating and governing of certain businesses", as amended, is amended by adding the following definitions thereto:
"all night dance event" means an event for gain or profit:

that offers live or pre-recorded music or both,
where any part of the event takes place between the hours of 0300 and 0900, and
where the principal activities include listening and dancing to music.
"promoter" means the person who organizes the all night dance event and whose responsibilities may include contracting with entertainers, security firms, owners of premises and advertisers and "promotes" has a similar meaning.

2. Section 9 of the said By-law No. 2002-189 is amended by adding thereto the following subsection:
(6) every person who promotes an all night dance event;

3. Schedule "A" of the said By-law 2002-189 is amended by adding the following item thereto:
Column 1
Description of License Column 2
License Fee $ Column 3
Expiry Date
All Night Dance Event 180.00 termination of event

4. The said By-law No. 2002-189 is amended by adding thereto Schedule No. 6 Relating to All Night Dance Events.
ENACTED AND PASSED this 11th day of September, 2002.

CITY CLERK MAYOR

APPENDIX "A"

INFORMATION TO BE INCLUDED IN THE DETAILED PLAN FOR AN ALL NIGHT DANCE EVENT LICENSE

Date of the all night dance event (the "event").
Location of the event.
The name, address and phone number of the promoter.
The name, address and phone number of the registered owner of the premises.
If the promoter or registered owner is a corporate entity, the names, addresses and phone numbers of the directors.
Times of commencement and termination of the event.
Number of tickets to be issued for the event.
Capacity of the premises.
Expected attendance at the event.
A plan indicating the location and particulars of the entrances, exits, washrooms, lighting, ventilation and sound systems, DJ booth, stage and room dividers.
A first aid logistical plan including:
the number of medical personnel on hand during the event,
the type of medical equipment available during the event,
provision of a "cooling down space" where patrons can rest from dancing, heat, lights and music, and
the certification held by the medical personnel.
A security plan including:
the name and address of the security firm hired for the event,
the number of security personnel to be on duty during the event,
the certification of the security personnel, and
the methods of communication to be used between the security personnel and the promoter before, during and after the event.
If pyrotechnics are to be used at the event, a detailed description of its use and an outline of precautions being undertaken with respect to fire prevention and public safety.
SCHEDULE NO. 6
Relating to All Night Dance Events

LICENSE REQUIRED
1. A separate license shall be obtained for each all night dance event.
LICENSE EXPIRY
2. Every all night dance event license is valid only for the date and time of the all night dance event indicated on the license application.
CONDITIONS FOR ISSUANCE OF AN ALL NIGHT DANCE EVENT LICENSE
3. No applicant for an all night dance event license shall be issued a license unless:
the applicant is at least eighteen (18) years of age,
the applicant is the promoter of the event,
the applicant submits a detailed plan of the event that includes the information outlined in Appendix "A" at least 28 days before the all night dance event is scheduled to occur,
the Fire Chief has reported in writing that the premises complies with all applicable fire regulations,
the Chief Medical Officer of Health has reported in writing that the premises complies with all applicable public health regulations and that there are no objections to the detailed plan,
the Chief of Police has reported in writing as to the good character of the applicant and that there are no objections to the detailed plan,
the premises from which it is proposed to carry on the late night dance event complies with the zoning, building and property standards requirements of the City,
the applicant has agreed to obtain insurance as required by Section 10 of this Schedule, and
the applicant has paid the fees outlined in Schedule "A" of this by-law.

4. If the applicant is not the owner of the premises, he or she shall provide written evidence to the satisfaction of the Chief License Inspector that the owner of the premises is aware of and agrees with the use of the premises for the all night dance event.
GENERAL REGULATIONS
5. Every licensee shall post the license in a prominent location on the licensed premises so as to be clearly visible to the public.
6. No person shall hold an all night dance event in a building or place without first obtaining a license to do so.
7. Despite Section 6, no person shall hold an all night dance event in a building that is not licensed as an amusement place.
8. Every licensee shall:
ensure that patrons of the all night dance event comply with the applicable noise by-laws,
ensure that food preparation on the premises complies with Ontario Regulation 562/90 of the Health Protection and Promotion Act R.S.O. 1990, Chap. H7, as amended or any successor thereto,
keep the licensed premises free from any fire or other hazard,
ensure that the capacity of the room is not exceeded,
ensure that the number of tickets sold for the all night dance event does not exceed the capacity of the premises and the number of tickets indicated in the application form,
ensure that tickets for the all night dance event clearly indicate that the event is:
restricted to people 16 years of age or older if alcohol is not served, or
restricted to people 19 years of age or older if alcohol is served,
ensure that the all night dance event is smoke free,
ensure that no person under 16 years of age is allowed entry,
ensure that all exits are free and remain free of any obstruction,
ensure that all washroom facilities are maintained and operational,
ensure that free, cold, potable water under suitable pressure is available at all times to all sinks and sanitary devices in the premises,
ensure that patrons have access at all times to all sinks and sanitary devices in the premises,
ensure that all security and medical personnel are easily identifiable,
upon being so ordered by Police, Fire or Health, immediately terminate the event if there is non-compliance with any applicable regulations,
ensure that all security personnel can communicate directly with the licensee at all times during the all night dance event, and
ensure that the premises is kept suitably illuminated and ventilated in accordance with the detailed plan.

9. No person shall sell tickets to or advertise an all night dance event unless an all night dance event license has been issued.
10. (1) Prior to the issuance of the license, the licensee shall file with the Chief License Inspector proof of insurance of Commercial General Liability or Special Events Liability coverage subject to limits of not less than Two Million Dollars ($2,000,000.00) inclusive per occurrence for bodily injury, death and damage to property.
(2) If applicable to the licensed activity, such insurance shall be endorsed to include Liquor Licence Act Liability or Host Liability insurance.
TRANSFERS
11. No all night dance event license shall be transferable.
exT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #16
RaverPrincess
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to RaverPrincess
I can't believe i just read all that...
So is it banned because no one wants to do all that crap to get a license? It doesn't sound like they are saying "Thou shalt not rave". They are just saying you have to apply for a license, no? And many of their stipulations seem to be safety-related, which I am all for.
RaverPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #17
exT
Hullaboarder

well it's a combination of things.. the 2 million dollar insurance policy adds at least 1000 bucks to your costs. and considering ottawa raves never get more than 200 people anymore, it makes it impossible to break even. also, the last promoters to try to get a permit lost their venue the day before the event because the venue owners got freaked out that the Fire department, Health and safety inspectors, and various other officials kept showing up to inspect his building.. and if they had any minor problems, their business would have been closed for any type of event, not just raves. so finding a venue owner willing to go through this process as well has proven to be near impossible. not to mention that you need to start your application at least 4 months before your desired event, which is also nearly impossible, as you have to secure a venue almost half a year before your event.. and also, the city is extremely disorganised when it comes to issuing permits, and several of the people i've spoken to spent most of the time on the phone trying to find the right person to talk to about the permit, and eventually had to call their city counsellor to get her to help them figure out who was in charge of issuing this permit, as nobody else in city hall seemed to know.

it's a real disaster in my oppinion, and last summer's rash of outdoor renegade freetek parties proved that the scene will never die, but it is struggling like mad.
Old August 5th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #18
exT
Hullaboarder

i should add that in 1.5 years of this bylaw, only bars/clubs with 19+ restrictions have actually been granted rave permits. despite several rave promoters trying many times, they were never succesfully issued permits.. although there's still more trying, and i hope it works out for them.

here's more interesting reading about rave laws accross canada.
http://www.djdoubled.com/citysurveycanada.pdf
Old August 5th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #19
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Wow... they sure caught you boys with your pants down!!!

PLUR,

Chip
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #20
cocainextoupees
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by exT

although some brave promoters are trying to get a "Rave Permit" for september 17th to throw a party downtown... i have my fingers crossed. hopefully you will all pray for us too. we need the support.

...but then you guys will all be too tired for hulla!
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #21
exT
Hullaboarder

nah, i'm a machine. i'm doing both
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #22
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Ha ha ha ha... go you and your non-stop party madness!!!

PLUR,

Chip