The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old November 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM   #1
raveDave
Hullaboarder
towerball Champion! High Score: 6380  Spy Hunter Champion! High Score: 12470  Roulette Champion! High Score: 58500  Flash Poker Champion! High Score: 50100 

Location: Detroit Rock City!! No seriously we have really cool rocks here!!!
Journal Entries: 21 View Users Journal
Talking Alaska may legalize Marijuana!!

Marijuana measures are on three state ballots

Alaska will consider legalization; Montana, Oregon will decide on medicinal aspects

By Donna Leinwand

WASHINGTON - Alaska will become the first state to make marijuana legal if voters approve a measure on Tuesday's ballot.

The Alaska proposal is the most provocative of three ballot measures in Western states aimed at easing restrictions on marijuana.

Montana voters will consider a proposal to join nine other states in legalizing marijuana for medicinal use. And in Oregon - which is one of the states that allows medical marijuana - voters will weigh whether to allow patients and caregivers to grow and possess larger amounts of marijuana than are allowed now.

The measures have drawn fire from the White House, which has sent representatives to the states to campaign against the measures.

In Alaska, marijuana is in legal limbo. State courts have ruled that it is legal to possess up to 4 ounces of the leaf for personal use, but a 1990 ballot initiative made marijuana possession a crime. Legislators say they will rework the state's marijuana laws to comply with the court rulings. Tuesday's initiative, however, proposes legalizing marijuana for those 21 and older and regulating it like cigarettes and alcohol.

Backers of the Alaska measure cast it as a way to help keep marijuana from youths.

"We believe ... we can reduce teen access to marijuana with a regulatory system," said David Finkelstein of Alaskans for Marijuana Regulation and Control. "It is clear that prohibition hasn't worked."

Government officials have countered with an anti-marijuana message, saying it is addictive and harmful to not only the health of individuals, but of families.
and basslines.
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:01 PM   #2
orbz
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to orbz
The states don't actually have this power, the federal govt just pretends that there's such a thing as state independence and state rights. Places have decrimmed before and the feds step in immediately. If you're part of America, you don't get any freedom the federal government doesn't want you to. Who am I kidding? It doesn't even matter if you're in America, the federal govt will still take your freedom away.
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:19 PM   #3
raveDave
Hullaboarder
towerball Champion! High Score: 6380  Spy Hunter Champion! High Score: 12470  Roulette Champion! High Score: 58500  Flash Poker Champion! High Score: 50100 

Location: Detroit Rock City!! No seriously we have really cool rocks here!!!
Journal Entries: 21 View Users Journal
I was just offering the information. I don't really follow the subject, since I don't smoke weed. (or any drug for that matter...) since I'm not too crazy about forcing those around me to ruin their lungs too. But if there's anywhere (in the US) that could legalize drugs, regulate their sales and be a type of isolated test case, it's Alaska. Plus, I don't enjoy having my tax dollars wasted on the arrests, convictions and incarcerations of non-violent drug offenders rather than treatment for substance abuse.

I am mildly amused by the DARE ads though. "This is your brain on drugs", heroin use and its similiarity to breaking dishes, and my current favorite: "Ecstasy causes AIDS."
raveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:34 PM   #4
chipakapockets
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 28 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to chipakapockets
WHAT?!?! Ecstasy causes AIDS?!? OH MY GOD NO!!!!! :: cries ::

LoL.

PLUR,

Chip

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989
chipakapockets is offline   Reply With Quote