Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old February 12th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #26
kikster
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to kikster Send a message via MSN to kikster
whoever said toronto is a clean city is mistaken, that's for sure. every time i go to toronto i am appalled at how DIRTY it is. doesn't stop me from loving the city and the people.. but yuck. it's gross. want a clean city? come to minneapolis.

of course there's no hardcore scene here, so it's a bit of a tradeoff.

and i agree.. if you have serious breathing issues you should go live in the country, or somewhere cleaner. i realize not everyone can do that.. but the people who can, should.
kikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #27
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
Toronto is actually considered one of the cleanest cities in North America..
go check out Detroit, Chicago, or Atlanta..

big difference

** New - Dj Tranzit - This Is Why I'm Hot - 60 min hardcore fuckery ***
DJ Tranzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #28
peachfuzz
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to peachfuzz Send a message via Yahoo to peachfuzz
or los angeles...

you want some deadly air?

they say breathing the air there is equivalent to smoking almost 3 packs a day..
peachfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #29
kikster
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to kikster Send a message via MSN to kikster
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Tranzit
Toronto is actually considered one of the cleanest cities in North America..
go check out Detroit, Chicago, or Atlanta..

big difference

i must be incredibly spoiled then. to me it's yucky.
kikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:47 AM   #30
waffle
Hullaboarder
Pacman Champion! High Score: 134650 

Send a message via AIM to waffle
Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelos_gq
Denver is lucky... since we are right next to the Rocky Mts... the air the swoops down takes our "brown cloud" as we call it and blows it east to Kansas.

Definitly, thank god we have the montains, but you can still see the smog over Denver with the winds and what not that blow some of the pollution away. Any city that you go to is going to be dirty as hell compared to the wilderness or what not due to all the cars and factories that are running non stop. This is one of the reasons that i believe so highly in the new hybrid cars. While the car companies can still do better, these cars are the best we have for keeping the environment clean and are one step closer in the attempt to salvage the areas we live in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipakapockets
No, you seem to misunderstand. It's not like the world is capable of shaking us off like a case of the fleas, it is in the process of doing it!

The plagues humans have experienced throughout their time on this planet, is an example of its less successful attempts at wiping us out.

Think of all the bacteria living all over the outside, and even inside, of your body. We are merely bacteria growing on the skin of this planet. Bacteria that it doesn't want around, because we're doing bad things to it. It wants us gone.

PLUR,

Chip

On to this idea that the earth is trying to wipe the humans out due to our corosion of the earth, this idea, no offense intended, is completely wrong. Previous species and creatures that inhabited the earth before we did were not wiped out by the earth. The earth is an abiotic land mass that is just compiled of elements such as iron, oxygen, hydrogen, ect. Due to this, the earth itself has no control over who dies or what happens beyond the fact that the things on earth are composed of the molecules that it contains.

Previous species and classes of creatures have died off rather because they could not compete with other predators for food or other factors that they could not win out on, or due to drastic climatic changes that they were unable to cope with i.e. the dinosaures. Also, the primary goal of any species is to thrive and reproduce, which is why people become sick so often with bacterial and viral infections. The bacteria and viruses are trying to fullfill their purpose of reproduction which they can best serve by using living creatures as hosts. Humans are only still alive today because we have been able to evolve and advance to the point where we are adapted better to be able to survive than many other creatures leaving us with little compition for survival. Now if we evolved again, or any other species for that matter and that new group was more capable of surviving in the environment that we could currently be in, then the human species as we know it could die off.

But in general, we are fucking up our earth, but the earth is not trying to kill us off, but rather other organisms are just trying to thrive just as we are.

So sorry for such a long post but i just felt particularly emotional to some statments made.
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #31
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Saffron Send a message via Yahoo to Saffron
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikster
whoever said toronto is a clean city is mistaken, that's for sure. every time i go to toronto i am appalled at how DIRTY it is. doesn't stop me from loving the city and the people.. but yuck. it's gross. want a clean city? come to minneapolis.

Are you retarded? There are variables contributing to the fact that your higher than thou Minneapolis is cleaner than Toronto. I am now going to embarass you with facts (numbers) and sources that you will have a hard time arguing. (I live for this shit on the net)

Toronto is the 5th largest city (population wise) in North America.

POPULATIONS

Mexico City (8,657,000)
New York City (8,039,000)
Los Angeles (3,829,000)
Chicago (2,926,000)
Toronto (2,572,000)
Havana (2,329,000)
Santo Domingo (2,061,000)
Houston (2,043,000)
Montreal (1,846,000)
Ecatepec (1,694,000)

Source: http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/napopsm.htm

I didnt even see Minneapolis listed in the top 50 on that webpage. I did find the population for Minneapolis from 2000 "Minneapolis had a population of 382,618 in 2000" Source: http://encarta.msn.com/text_7615722...inneapolis.html

So now that we have that out of the way don't you figure it takes more tax money and more resources to clean up after 3 million people than it does for 750,000 (and we'll call your population a generous 750,000 because its 2005)?? You can't put up an arguement without throwing in variables when comparing 2 different places with different populations. Its like comparing apples and oranges.
- Thom Yorke
Saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #32
technoshaman78
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka0tique
Unfortunately I have no documentation to back this up, but I do recall a reference to air in Los Angeles being worse than second hand smoke. It may however have been from a science fiction novel -- the mind blurs.

When I lived in LA someone told me that every week you spend in LA you breath more hazardous materials and carcinogens than most other human beings living in rural areas ever breath in their whole lifetime.