Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old January 30th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #1
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
AwwwWw.. those poor landlords

It seems that this landlord is having trouble renting an apartment:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...id=968332188492

I feel so sorry this landlord. A two bedroom for $1,250 not rented? God forbid he or she tries lowering the rent. It seems that landlords are trying every incentive in the book except lowering rediculously high rents. Can't believe it's not working.

Am I the only one rooting for a huge real estate crash? I hope it hurts really bad. Like it did in the 80s. If it happens, I'm seriously going to throw a party and send pictures to Greenwin Properties. Prices in TO are ridiculous when considering that an average two-bedroom in Montreal goes for less than $700.

This article is making me seeth. ARgh. Think happy thoughts.
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #2
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
my roomates and i (4 of us altogether) live in a 3 bedroom townhouse (one of them lives in the basement) we pay around $800/month. good deal here

This guy will be the entire reason I stop lurking here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim
i cant even imagine what goes on inside your head day by day. but whatever it is it must be awesome.
No Typical Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #3
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

I live in the ugliest apartment in Toronto, but it's three bedrooms for $800. My share is $270 a month inclusive. There's no living room and it's very light challenged. Industrial carpeting throughout and bare light bulbs. It's got that genuine gehtto feeling...
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #4
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to itsgigglegirl
I live in a 6 bedroom, 4 bath house with 5 other roommates (and a dog) here in san diego...I pay $650 a month for my room (plus utilities split 6 ways), which gets me a shared bathroom, parking on the street, and all the house priveleges i want. 3 of us pay in the $600s, 2 pay somewhere in the $700s and one guy pays like $825 for the master bedroom, private bath, and use of the garage...considering the size of my room and the house, my rent's not too bad for the area...

I also am hoping that the housing bubble bursts out here sometime soon. Currently, the average price for a house in San Diego County is over $600K...I'd like to stay here forever, but at those prices, I can't afford that...nor can something like 85% of Californians...something's gotta give folks...

You can't miss me, I'm the girl with the smile

Shake like an earthquake, and cut like a guillotine
itsgigglegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #5
Troile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Troile
I live in a nice 3 bdrm house. Well people live above us but they don't bother us.

I pay 450$ plus H&H.

This includes internet.

I'm pretty close to downtown and the subway. I think its a good deal.
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #6
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
My rent is being raised in March, but if you look at a listing for my building new tenents can get a 2bedroom here at my building for $75 less than I'm paying now ($95 less when my rent goes up).

I'm going to see what can be done about that. they surely can't prefer letting older tenents leave and have newer ones take the apartments for less money (and the costs involved in flipping them).
anabolic frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #7
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

your landlord's prolly just hoping you don't check the listings

i originally was supposed to pay $730 a month for my room, but found out that two of my roommates who have more "incentives" than i do were paying less...so i complained, and got $80 a month knocked off my rent...it pays to whine sometimes
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #8
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
i live right on the divide of a really strange housing pnenomenon...

i live in wayne county... at the border... between detroit and ann arbor...
on my side of the tracks... housing is cheap.. the community i'm in is small and quaint... centered around a large lake... but just over the county line into washtenaw county... real estate does a rocket job... in ann arbor average housing cost is ridiculous... for homes that rent rooms it's usually about 600 per bedroom... plus utilities... the cost of actually renting a whole a house is HUGE>.. at least 1,500 a month... for something slightly ghetto and outside of the university district... to get downtown... forget it... it's outrageous... a 2 bedroom condo just went for a million dollars on main st... i keep tryin to tell people that this isn't manhattan... for cryin out loud... but i think inflation is common in university towns/regions... . the lack of student dorms really pushes it up... those kids have to stay somewhere... and being U Mich... they all have the money to pay for it...
kylefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #9
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
ann arbor is a whore
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #10
kandeegirl2
Sweetness and Light Mod

Photos: 29  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to kandeegirl2 Send a message via AIM to kandeegirl2 Send a message via Yahoo to kandeegirl2
i live right outside philly in a small town in jerzee. our rent is 575 until march when our lease is renewed and we go up to 600 for a one bedroom.
meh.
not too expensive but at the same time its enough.
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #11
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

i would kill someone to get a nice-ish one bedroom for $600 here...at this point i'm doomed to live with a few roommates till i get a real job
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #12
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
cali is just whicked... seriously... i could not believe how expensive housing is....
kylefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #13
Psychick
Hullaboarder

Photos: 5  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Psychick
I share a 4 bedroom house with 1 other person, it has a big kitchen and a nice living room and free parking and is $1745 a month, but sadly that doesn't include utilities. We're getting another roommate in April to help defray the costs a bit.

I beat the internet....the end guy was hard

Psychick & J-Karlos & Termeric | The Cyber Lepers of the Future

anyone who's anyone knows who deek is ... you're all internet stars
Psychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #14
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandeegirl2
i live right outside philly in a small town in jerzee. our rent is 575 until march when our lease is renewed and we go up to 600 for a one bedroom.
meh.
not too expensive but at the same time its enough.
i know some people out there...what city?
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:43 AM   #15
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

On the outskirts of Sudbury, my parents paid about 75 thousand dollars for a house in the 80s. It had a huge yard, deck, french doors and windows, wood stove, fireplace, firepit, fourty pine trees, two driveways, a garage, greenhouse, garden, two gables, etc...

I don't think you can even buy a lot in the GTA for that price. Moving here was such a shock considering the prices for dumpy apartments. Living in the middle of nowhere had its advantages. I've of heard homes in Saskatchewan going for $5000.

Last edited by Snuffy : January 31st, 2006 at 01:47 AM.
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:27 PM   #16
Andjo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Andjo Send a message via MSN to Andjo Send a message via Yahoo to Andjo
Saskatchewan It is then!

I live in a small town just south of windsor and you ca rent a house for about 600-1 200 a month, depends on location and size but there at least 2 bed and bath, lake front property is always a bit more. I live in a nice 2 bedroom apt. with all inclusive for $750 a month. its not bad and im on the 3rd floor. Grocery store is right next to me and it only takes a half hour to get to windsor.

In windsor prices are a little bit more. depending on were you are in the city you can pay anywere from $300 for a room to $1500 for a 2 bedroom apt. I dont know about houses havent really looked into it. But around here most prices include utilitys.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:21 AM   #17
Snuffy
Hullaboarder

Lets all start a cult and create our own town in Saskatchewan!
Old February 3rd, 2006, 01:38 AM   #18
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
here in minneapolis we are currently paying 900 for a 2 bedroom, but 4 of us live here...so its not too bad..but cramped and not always legal...
for a decent one bedroom you are gunna pay around 550 at the least, in a good neighborhood close to anything good that goes up to close to 600, we were paying 585 when we lived in the trendy part of town and people were begging to know where we lived...but now...cant even afford that...
looks like our rent is getting raised here too, so when the lease is up, we are outta here...looking at our options...hopefully we dont have to do anything to drastic just to live