The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Hullabaloo 10th Anniversary Weekend Celebration
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old January 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #1
freedom79
Hullaboarder

Question border crossing

I'm just wondering when the new law goes into effect for crossing the canada border? Is it 08 or 09 that you have to have a passport to cross the border, even if your crossing by car or bus? Just curious so I know if I should get a passport...or if I will be able to cross again like I did last year...with just a birth certificate and license?

P.L.U.R.R.
freedom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #2
tikachu
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to tikachu Send a message via AIM to tikachu Send a message via MSN to tikachu
im so sick of explaining this.

heres what it says in the paper that came with my passport. yes, i dug it out and typed it myself. dont make me do it again.
Quote:

the western hemisphere travel initiative

the intellegence reform and terrorism prevention act of 2004 mandated that the secretary of homeland security, in consultation with the secretary of state, implement a plan to require us citizens and foriegn nationals to present a passport or other secure document when entering the united states. the requirement will affect us citizens travelling to and from canada, mexico, central and south america, the caribbean, and bermuda.

on january 23rd, 2007, us citizens travelling by AIR between the us and canada, mexico, central and south america, the caribbean, and bermuda will be required to present a valid u.s. passport, air NEXUS card, or u.s. coast guard merchant mariner document.

as early as january 1, 2008, ALL PERSONS, including u.s. citizens, travelling between the u.s. and canada, mexico, central and south america, the caribbean, and bermuda by LAND OR SEA (including ferries) may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the department of homeland security. ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain proper documentation for land/sea entries. further information is available on the bureau of consular affairs' website at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

so otherwise, they are going to spring it on you. it could happen within the next few months, or within the next few years. ample time? i see that being eh 6 weeks, like how long they say it takes to get your passport processed and back to you. get your shit asap or you might get screwed right up the arse. why wait until the last minute anyways? why not just get it and have it ready? get it out of the way? jesus youre going to need it anyways so just get it now.

if you cant fly or have no reason to, theyre coming out with these new 'passport cards' this year for land travel only. its cheaper but stupid to get if you ever plan on flying anywhere. i think they are mainly using them for border towns and people that dont plan on going anywhere except places they can drive to.
Quote:
U.S. PASSPORT CARD

U.S. PASSPORT CARD APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED BEGINNING FEBRUARY 1

U.S. citizens may begin applying in advance for the new U.S. Passport Card beginning February 1, 2008, in anticipation of land border travel document requirements. We expect cards will be available and mailed to applicants in spring 2008.

The passport card will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and will be adjudicated to the exact same standards.

The Department of State is issuing this passport card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book. The card will have the same validity period as a passport book: 10 years for an adult, five for children 15 and younger. For adults who already have a passport book, they may apply for the card as a passport renewal and pay only $20. First-time applicants will pay $45 for adult cards and $35 for children.

To facilitate the frequent travel of U.S. citizens living in border communities and to meet DHS’s operational needs at land borders, the passport card will contain a vicinity-read radio frequency identification (RFID) chip. This chip will link the card to a stored record in secure government databases. There will be no personal information written to the RFID chip itself.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/pp..._card_3926.html

PLT

Last edited by tikachu : January 15th, 2008 at 01:32 PM.
tikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #3
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
don't leave your country. your government knows best and has everything you need contained within its borders

This guy will be the entire reason I stop lurking here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim
i cant even imagine what goes on inside your head day by day. but whatever it is it must be awesome.
No Typical Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Minkis
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Minkis Send a message via MSN to Minkis Send a message via Yahoo to Minkis
and fyi
jan 3rd-ish, i applied for a passport.. 9 days later, it came in the mail
it doesnt take that long
Minkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #5
CandyGirl23
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to CandyGirl23 Send a message via MSN to CandyGirl23
wow. mine took nearly 4 months!

As of the end of this month they will actually be checking birth certificates and photo ID at the border if you don't have a passport. Before you just needed it, but were rarely asked for it. They just changed the policy so it will be requested from every traveller by the guards.
CandyGirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #6
PapaSmurff
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Typical Raver
don't leave your country. your government knows best and has everything you need contained within its borders

haha ofcourse it does. how could anyone think therwise
PapaSmurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #7
tikachu
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to tikachu Send a message via AIM to tikachu Send a message via MSN to tikachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkis
and fyi
jan 3rd-ish, i applied for a passport.. 9 days later, it came in the mail
it doesnt take that long

fyi, mine took 3 weeks.

all depends on the volume at that time. what if they decide they are gonna shut the border down in the beginning of february and there is a mad rush for passports again?

think about it.

i mean, im absolutely fine because i have mine but if you idiots wanna wait thats fine with me i dont care
tikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #8
snug_bunny
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Freedom, were you so lazy that you couldn't fucking google it? Like come on, obviously you were right in front of the computer. Geeze.
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #9
EagleScorpion
Hullaboarder
Asteroids Champion! High Score: 58340  Pinball Champion! High Score: 2755  Starship Legend Champion! High Score: 1442  Alien Terminator Champion! High Score: 48924 

Send a message via AIM to EagleScorpion
careful, those border agents can really be ASSHOLES!!!!

(i guess thats what i get for trying to cross the border in full raver regalia, candy and all. apparently, they aren't stupid)
EagleScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #10
CandyGirl23
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to CandyGirl23 Send a message via MSN to CandyGirl23
I would call crossing the border in anything except "normal" clothes stupid You're lucky you even got through!
CandyGirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #11
weava
Friendship Crew

Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to weava Send a message via MSN to weava Send a message via Yahoo to weava
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyGirl23
I would call crossing the border in anything except "normal" clothes stupid You're lucky you even got through!

Def.

We ALWAYS stuff all our kandi/outfits/etc... deep in our luggage and dress as normally as possible.

And we still get stopped half the time just for being 4 young adults in a mustang.
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #12
happy1
Hullaboarder

my word of advice from crossing by air, always be polite, friendly, and answer all questions honestly and it should keep them from being mean and turning you away. also dress in non raver gear and just be friendly, the one guy i had to deal with at immigration in the airport was actually nice to talk to.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:10 PM   #13
EagleScorpion
Hullaboarder
Asteroids Champion! High Score: 58340  Pinball Champion! High Score: 2755  Starship Legend Champion! High Score: 1442  Alien Terminator Champion! High Score: 48924 

Send a message via AIM to EagleScorpion
Quote:

i didnt! lol
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #14
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
right now, they are still asking for 2 pieces of ID

birth cert and photo ID

i just crossed over the other day...

( i live in detroit and have friends in windsor )
kylefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #15
dj timz0r
Hulla Legacy Member

Send a message via AIM to dj timz0r
yeah those hosers stopped me and gave me a real hard time, searched my car and everything, and they thought i stole my car, which i proudly bought and paid cash for... idiots... on the way back home, they practically waved me through... ugh.

www.raversofthenation.com <--NOW ONLINE!
dj timz0r is offline   Reply With Quote