The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media > Articles (Toronto)
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old August 23rd, 2001, 12:20 AM   #1
stargurl

Send a message via ICQ to stargurl
Police to Crash the Party

Police to Crash the Party
By Charlie Fidelman
Montreal Gazette
Sunday, Aug 12, 2001

When the thump-thump-thump of techno music fills the air at Montreal's next big rave, you can expect to see some less-than-ecstatic ravers.

The estimated 10,000 ticket-holders who will be filing into Jarry Park for the giant Cream party on Sept. 2 will be met at the door by police officers who will search their pockets, bags, and even shoes before allowing them into the all-night blowout dance party.

Ravers who refuse to submit to a search can kiss their $85 tickets good-bye and go home.

Welcome to the new rave culture.

And don't be fooled by the party atmosphere.

Raves have become the latest battleground in the war on drugs. Or, in this case, the war on Ecstasy, the seductively named feel-good drug that ravers say gives them the energy to dance the night away.

Until this latest crackdown, Ecstasy sold freely at raves everywhere despite warnings that it can cause heart and kidney failure and even death in people with cardio-vascular problems.

It's also associated with memory loss, and in some cases, brain damage. Police say the drug is being sold by biker gangs who've infiltrated rave culture.

Some ravers, however, say the new police searches are harassment and the crackdown on Ecstasy a war on youth culture.

Everyone agrees on one point: raves aren't what they used to be.

- - - -

The new music scene began in the early 1980s as a hush-hush underground youth phenomenon.

Described as large gatherings of drug-fueled kids dancing to cutting-edge sounds, raves happened mysteriously in abandoned warehouses or on some farmer's field.

"You had to know someone to get in, you'd only know about it 24 hours in advance; now, it's advertised on TV," observes DJ Krista, a former devotee of massive parties who now prefers spinning records for smaller parties at Sona, a Montreal after-hours club.

Over the course of 10 years, rave culture morphed into mainstream mega-shows at big-city venues like the Olympic Stadium and the Molson Centre.

Today, industrial-size raves feature state-of-the-art light shows. Celebrity DJs like Britain's Paul Okenfold, Funk D'Void of Scotland and Timo Mass of Germany draw tens of thousands of enthusiasts for bashes that last up to 14 hours.

"The bigger the rave, the bigger the talent," said DJ Krista. "It's the stars of the techno world. And the kids, they really want to go."

And they're getting younger and younger. It's estimated that about half of today's ravers are between 15 and 18 years old.

"You can't go to a bar if you're under 18," notes freelance writer Michelle Rainer, 27, who quit the scene three years ago when the crowds got younger and her own friends stopped going.

A huge part of the attraction, enthusiasts say, is Ecstasy, the "hug drug."

"It's Ecstasy and the feeling of good vibes that it spread," Rainer said. "I love the music. I love to go out and dance all night. And it's fun to see all your friends."

Police estimate that more than three-quarters of ravers are under the influence. Those who frequent the scene say it's even higher.

"Everyone is on drugs at raves - if you don't take anything, it's not at all the same thing," said enthusiast Martin Henri, 26. "The music is better and you can dance longer."

But Henri prefers smaller raves held off the island of Montreal - outside MUC police jurisdiction - rather than the giant organized events with tickets sold through Admission. Those events attract big-time drug dealers who, in turn, attract police. That makes for bad vibes.

"With a big party of 15,000, that's a lot of people wanting to get stoned. Obviously, if you were a big drug-dealer, where would you go? Maybe the big ( raves ) deserve to be police controlled," he said.

But like many rave-goers, Henri says the police clampdown is killing the culture through intimidation. "They want to control the kids. ... They've no business ruining this."

- - - -

But rave organizers are playing ball with the cops. Montreal's best-known promoter, 514 Productions, recently cut a deal with MUC police to allow searches at the door and more. They say they had no choice; it was do or die.

The memory of police shutting down 514 Production's massive rave, Swirl, just two days before opening at the Olympic Stadium, still haunts the promoters.

"I lost $300,000," said 514 president Ricardo Cordeiro of the May 20 fiasco. He's got other parties in the works - Cream, Freaky Celebration, Connected, and Swirl - and didn't want a repeat experience.

Hence, the agreement with police.

The first rave under police scrutiny was Oasis, held at the Molson Centre on July 21. It featured police searches that went off without a hitch. Cordeiro defends what he did then, saying, "It's not a sellout," despite critics who called the rave "a politically correct" event.

"It was their ( police ) way or no way. I'd have had to find a new career."

Drugs, says Cordeiro, existed long before raves. He argues that collaborating with police will ensure the survival of the rave scene since the crackdown is happening all over North America and Europe, not just Montreal.

The city of Ottawa, for instance, recently passed a bylaw requiring rave organizers to buy permits, hire security guards, have their buildings inspected and deny entry to anyone under 16.

In New York City, police ushered 400 partygoers out of Twilo night club and shut it down after a midnight raid in May. Critics say political pressure rather than rampant drug use led to the closing of Twilo, described as "the Carnegie Hall of electronic music." ( A front-page New York Times story said the club ran its own ambulance service, shuttling overdosed ravers to hospitals to avoid police. )

- - - -

Montreal police point to several rave-related drug deaths in Toronto and say they want to prevent this from happening here.

Inspector Jean-Guy Gagnon hinted that biker gangs have muscled into the rave scene and are behind the Ecstasy trade.

"We don't know for sure, but that's how it's worked in the past in bars and strip clubs. Normally the owner doesn't have a choice. They are scared. We get a lot of complaints."

But Gagnon made it clear this wasn't war against youth culture. "We don't want to fight the raves. Each generation has its own music," he said, noting that techno is to the rave generation what rock'n'roll was to the hippies of the 1960s.

The recent Oasis rave, he said, resulted in 42 arrests - two for trafficking, 40 for possession. The possession charges were dropped.

"We want the big fish, not the small dealer that can be replaced on the street the next day," he said.

Police also fear driving the movement underground.

"It's going to be our next problem," Gagnon said. "We don't want them to party in clandestine, underground places. We prefer to tolerate some Ecstasy - ( if it's taken ) before the event.

"Police have children, too."

- - - -

But for many, a police presence is alien to rave culture.

Independent promoter Jeff MK Ultra says he'll no longer hold raves that fall under MUC police jurisdiction.

"What a concept! It just doesn't go together. It's the antithesis of fete," said Jeff, who held a small rave at a sugar shack north of Montreal last weekend. "We can't party with police ( around )."

The French-born Jeff said that friction with police has become a real problem in his native country.

"Sometimes, it's a race who'll get there first, us or police. We've been chased away with machine guns," he said. "It's a real war."

Attempts to wipe out the rave culture will drive the phenomenon underground, warned Mireille Silcott, author of a cultural history book called Rave America. "Police can't stamp this out because it comes from a genuine need among youth in North America and Europe."

But compared with police in the U.S., Montreal cops are "fair," Silcott said, noting that in some American cities, raves went underground after police came down hard.

"I don't think they ( Montreal police ) want to crack down on the scene," Silcott said. They're after the big drug-dealers who've forced their way into raves - "the same people have been controlling Ecstasy in Montreal since 1995."

- - - -

Rave culture and drugs have always gone hand in hand.

"Ecstasy and house music - these two weird things - met on certain dance floors," Silcott said, like London's West End. "And the combustion between this new beat-heavy disco music and this psychedelic amphetamine called Ecstasy was ... RAVE." A strong, long-lasting "happy, touchy-feely drug," Ecstasy turned dance floors into all night parties, she said.

"We have to stop making these things taboo," said local star DJ Maus, who's a headliner at the next Cream festival. Maybe police should accept that "it's a party, and some people take drugs," she said, admitting that the drug issue is "quite delicate."

Other DJs say the raves have gotten so big and the drugs so pervasive that it's hard for police to ignore them. So if co-operating with them is the only way to make sure the parties continue, then ravers should comply - even if it sours the atmosphere.

"It sours it even more if saying 'no' means you can't do it any more," said DJ Krista.

"It's aim is to help rather than hinder the cause. We can't always be having these big hedonistic free-for-all, Caligula-style things."
Old August 26th, 2001, 07:03 PM   #2
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
I agree in part. Get the dealers. Not the ravers or promoters.

Do you know if the promoter has to pay the cops?

I have nothing against cops working the door security, but the promoters shouldn't have to pay for it.

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Old August 26th, 2001, 09:40 PM   #3
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Don't know about Quebec, but in Ontario there are VERY strict rules about who the police can search and when. There's also the issue of regular law-abiding people giving up another one of their rights so we can go further into a police state of a society.

Yes target the dealers, but I think this would be best accomplished by undercovers observing people breaking the law.
Old August 28th, 2001, 01:10 AM   #4
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
Quote:
Originally posted by anabolic frolic
Yes target the dealers, but I think this would be best accomplished by undercovers observing people breaking the law.

Or by beautiful naked strippers groping me in a dark corner.

Either way, it makes the world a better place..

MCED
Old August 29th, 2001, 12:25 AM   #5
=cyprus=
Hullaboarder

Re: Police to Crash the Party

Quote:
Originally posted by stargurl

Until this latest crackdown, Ecstasy sold freely at raves everywhere despite warnings that it can cause heart and kidney failure and even death in people with cardio-vascular problems.

What about tabacco, what about alchol. There are so many more deaths with those two major ones then lovey dovey 'xtc'
Quote:
"It's Ecstasy and the feeling of good vibes that it spread," Rainer said. "I love the music. I love to go out and dance all night. And it's fun to see all your friends."

Not everyone likes to go out and do e at every party. I know I go for the same reasons as mentioned above, but not for the drugs! All that is talked about is 'e' in the scene, everyone is on 'e'. What about the other drugs. I know they are not the prime ones that are used but they are still very serious in long and short term effects.
Quote:
"Everyone is on drugs at raves - if you don't take anything, it's not at all the same thing," said enthusiast Martin Henri, 26. "The music is better and you can dance longer."

BULL SHIT! I find I can dance best when I am sober, I have more controle and I am more into the music. Being high is not all that and I can't believe this person said 'oh it's not the same, it's better being high' MY GOD! Sure you might not be able to dance as long sober, but at LEAST your sober.
Quote:
But like many rave-goers, Henri says the police clampdown is killing the culture through intimidation. "They want to control the kids. ... They've no business ruining this."

It is true they are ruining it in many ways but more so with their power to do so. They want us to be safe, but for that to happen they shut them down. That makes it so much worse and harder to have a big production company throw a party because the cops want them shut down. They should find ways to work with us, not stop us...