The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Other Stuff > Politics & Media > Articles (Everywhere else)
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old October 29th, 2001, 04:53 PM   #1
uki
Hullaboarder

PARADISE 2(official release)

Hi everyone.
I'd like to present myself.
My name is Ulric.I am the booking agent and the one responsible for Public Relations for Paradise 2.

I'd like to make some few corrections and and a short statement.The offical press release will be out ass soon as we get all the facts.

First off.I am in no position to point a fingure at anyone or anything right now,but one thing is clear beoned any reasonable dought,this was a sabotage and this will not be taken litely.

We have already consulting with many lawyers and other investigators and the apropriate steps are in motion to find the actual reason,person or persons responsbile for the horendous incident.These steps are underway to bring justice(in a court of law) not only to them but also for the ravers and promotors,investors,staff and public image of the production company.

I would also like to add some very important facts.

1 I never respond to attacks,but this one is too important.

NEOPHYTE,BINARY FINARY,DELAT 9 and CHIRS FISHER WERE ALL PAYED,FED,REIMBURSED FOR ALL THERE EXPENSES LIKE WORK VISAS AND OTHER COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH THE PARTY.THEY WERE ALL BROUGHT TO THE AIRPORT FOR THEIR SCHEDULED FLIGHTS.

And I know this because I was the one to take care of all this personaly to let the promotors rest.I finished all this a little over five hours ago.

2 Although none of the artist played there sets,they all left with a smile and promise to return for a future event if ever we decide to throw another.

3 Neophyte was booked on many occasions in Canada(including one recently in Ottawa,where they were cacelled last minute,unpayed and very upset).This was the first time that everything was dealt with profesionally as such to insure that they would have no troubles.With long experince in this feild,I have to say that i don't understand why others have failed,in many forms,to bring neophyte succesfully into canada.

4 The event could not have been relocated as this location was the back up venue,and that the sound system,lights and live PA systems for both live acts take over 8 hours to prepare for sound check.Unlike other cities,afterhours do not rent their venues to indipendant promotors or events.

5 Like said before,every measure was in place for a succesfull evening,inclding all venue capacity lisences.Liability,fire and gear insurance for the event venue.All artists where present and keen to perform,(when the sound chek was powered up,you should have seen the faces on both of Binary Finary's artists faces).

6 In years of raving and working in this world of electronic music,i have rarely seen a set-up of this magnitude at any event in Montreal.Not a dollar was spared.
Unlike other events recently where you could not understand why you payed 40$ tickets for the set-up and venue,PARADISE 2 was well worth the ticket price,and more!

7 Our line up bosted three headliners who had never played in Canada,and one who hadn't played here in over six years.It had been many years scince we had seen a line up like this in Montreal,or Ottawa for that matter and it will be a long time comming to see a line up of this magnitude and originality.

I have to add that door tickets for PARADISE 2 where 40$,with over 15,000 usd(over 27,000$ can) worth of artists.Compare that to 55$ door tickets at GLOOM,for,well,you know the line up.Not one of GLOOM'S artist cost over 300$ can.(If they did,you got screwed)

Please make sure to stay tunned for more info on the future of PSYCOFROGG,TRIPTROINK and KEARBEARS productions.We will up date all this info in the OFFICAL PRESS RELEASE comming some time within the next few weeks.

At a time when planes are crashing into skyscrapers,when war is going on in other countries,neihboring countries and our own...that humanity as a whole is more unsafe and unhappy then ever before in history,we decied to punish the ones who wish to let a few thousand people forget these horrible times for 12 hours and enjoy themselves in unison,to music that in no way promotes violence,death,money gain or capatilism or any other negative aspects of this world.Please make sure you forward this forum page thread url to anyone who you may think would be interested or be willing to help.

Thank you to all who suported us before,to all who suported us the night of the event with help after the bad news,and to all who will suport in the future.

In the words of BINARY FINARY...

'IF YOU LAY DOWN AFTER THIS,YOU SHOW THEM THAT THEY WON,AND THAT THEY CAN WIN AGAIN.YOU MUST FIGHY THIS WITH ALL YOU HAVE AND CONTINUE TO THROW EVENTS EVEN IF THIS HAPPENS TO EVERY OTHER OF YOUR EVENTS FROM NOW UNTIL THE END.'

'Ricky Grant and Anthony 'Tony' Simmonds,Binary Finary

ulricr@hotmail.com
Old October 29th, 2001, 05:01 PM   #2
bowzer
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to bowzer
Thank you for posting this, it answered some questions I had. I look forward to the offical press release.
Old October 29th, 2001, 05:36 PM   #3
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
I don't understand. What exactly happened? Did the police shut it down?
Old October 30th, 2001, 12:11 AM   #4
Jess
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Jess
What exacty happened?...
Old October 30th, 2001, 02:28 AM   #5
bowzer
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to bowzer
This post only makes sense if you knew what had happened before, so I'll try to recap from what I heard/experianced.

When our buses from Ottawa arrived in Montreal, it was about 11pm. We came to see lots of people standing outside, we though, "damn, this must be really big and taking along time to get it"... it turns out police were checking out the venue to make sure it was safe. word is they gave it the okay, but they needed a second opinion from the firemen... the firemen finally came at like 11:20, and they gave it the thumbs down. They said that it wasn't safe enough because some exit signs didnt have lightbulbs, not enough exits in the building, and it was too dirty... something along thoose lines. Oddly the same venue has been used many times in the past for very large parties, and this party was the safest/most organized one yet.
So the firemen said there won't be a party go on... it really did not seem like this could be happening... so many peoples weekends were ruined.
Our choices (the 2 shuttle buses from ottawa), were either sit in the parking lot, or goto some party put on by "ray junior". this ray junior guy has been known to do sketchy things in the past, and his parties are pretty trashy. our only option was to go there... i wont comment on that party, but one thing is that 8 hours of house music WILL drive you insane.
blah... so after the party we went back to ottawa, pretty disappointed. after reading some of the forums and comments from ravers/promotors and others who helped out, theres a possibility of some dirty things that went down that weekend. it seems like someone *cough* ray junior *ahem* might of paid off the firefighters to get paradise vs hellsfire shutdown, so more people would goto his party. now this is not certain, and not proven yet... but its pretty shaddy and convient if you ask me. if this IS true... holy shit, I wouldnt even know where to start.
Old October 31st, 2001, 02:43 AM   #6
uki
Hullaboarder

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Here is what exactly happened.

9:30 pm.

I come back from getting cokes from the store for binary,they finish sound check and both sound guys from both rooms give thumbs up for the go ahead.

As always,my pager was going off like crazy,so I decide to get that done and head for the phone in the front lobby,I pick up the receive and hear a knock.All I see is a firecheif badge(i'Ve seen them before alot) and my heart sinks.

He walks in,along with 2 cops.

They tour the venue(which has been used for over 2 years for over then 100 parties.This is the ideal back up venue for any event.)

About 11 pm,after negotiations,along with offers from us to move the tires outside(the venue is a go kart thingy),replace the missing emergency lightbulbs,along with a list of other things,but he says its not possbile...''there is no way this event is going to happen...dispures the line up and send everyone home'' he says

The line up exceeded 1000 poeple at 10pm when i checked

1200 tiks where sold in adavance and more then 6 buses where expected and more then 1000 people more for door tiks.

So while the fire cheif is still at the venue(11pm),on the other side of town,my buddy dj indica is playing for a woping 40 people at the ray junior party.rumors have it that he sold a little over 200(yes 200) tikects in presale.so....

So thats the story...

I mean.If anyone hear has ever had this happen to them,you know that we are still deaing with all this and will be for months to come.

We still have not decided if we will refund tickets or make them valid for another event later next year(next event was suposed to be utopiahase 4 / june 30 2002.

So as of now,we are still working on different possibilities.

I'd also like to add that we are not pointing the figure yet,and we are not sure if we will at all in the future,this is just what happened as I saw it and felt it.

This is a very sad day for any montreal raver/party goer.This affects us all,one way or another.It's just madness right now to get everything done.

Thanks for
Old November 2nd, 2001, 03:06 PM   #7
f a i a
Hullanewbie

Thumbs down ya....ok.

First off I would like to say that it is HIGHLY unlikely that the firemen/fire marshall would have accepted bribes to shut the party down.
That is a fairly ludicrous suggestion.

I very highly commend the work of those who threw the bus, to make the best of a bad situation.
This was obviously highly disappointing for many people on many differnt levels.

NOW, I want to say to YOU UKI......that, although I feel for you and your situation, I really think you should try getting your facts straight BEFORE you say anything. So you ARE the public relations spokesman for THIS party, bvut I highly doubt you were in Ottawa when Neophyte was scheduled to play there. I also highly doubt that you were in contact with the promoters for that party (Paradox).

THIS:
"Neophyte was booked on many occasions in Canada(including one recently in Ottawa,where they were cacelled last minute,unpayed and very upset)."

is completely untrue.
The promoter (and yes, I know him personally), knew at least 2 weeks in advance that there was a venue problem (3 weeks i think, but I may stand corrected). Neophyte was given LOTS of warning that they may not be able to come and play, SOOOOO they were told that if they found another gig for that weekend, to by all means GO!
They were given fair warning and they DID find another booking that weekend. Therefore they WERE paid for their time for the weekend. If it had been a 'day of' thing, then it would have been dealt with differently, but they were informed with lots of time to spare. This was the most mature thing that the promoter could have done.
(to follow up, they did find a last minute venue and although Neophyte was a no-go, Or-Beat did make an appearance).

SOOOOOO....before you make any comments about past parties that you were in no way affiliated with, why don't you try learning the facts?
pfft.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 04:28 PM   #8
uki
Hullaboarder

ummmmmmmmm

your right.i am unaware of all the facts.

i guess i placed the coma at the wrong place.it should read:

Neophyte was booked on many occasions in Canada(including one recently in Ottawa),where they were cacelled last minute,unpayed and very upset."

i didn't mean that ottawa didn't pay them,i was just generalising on the situation.sorry.

i did not mean to offend anyone.and this is,as you say,a very sad situation.we are doing are best to do something for the 1223 people who bought tikects before the party.

if i insulted someone with my post,i apolagise.

p'z
Old November 4th, 2001, 05:28 PM   #9
f a i a
Hullanewbie

well, that's ok, but next time you should really be more careful with things like that, especially if you're going to post them on MULTIPLE message boards.It could definately be considered slander.

In any case....