and not fidget around so much.

It would be such an exquisite moment,
with no mad dashing rush, no relentless engines;
we would all be together
in a sudden newness.

Fisherman in cold, faraway seas
would cease to harm whales
and the crop-gatherers
would not look at hands punctured by nettle.

Those who mastermind conflict,
wars with gas, wars with fire,
victories with no survivors,
would put on clean clothes to
greet their neighbors
for a walk about in the sun, doing nothing.

What I want is not a
completely drowsy reality…
life is intricate in ways unimaginable…
and goes this way for a reason…

yet if we were not so single-minded
about keeping our lives moving,
and for once could do nothing (peace),
perhaps an immense silence would
overwhelm the sadness
of not understanding ourselves.

Now I’ll count to twelve,
you keep still while I go.

Why is there such an insistence that the US is the worst imperialistic power the world has ever known? Should this country be consistently viewed in such an arrogant manner, either the “best” or the “worst”? What if this country is neither, but merely the current example of power run amok? 360,000 humans are birthed into this world daily. They have sifted through moments to bless this day with their precious incarnation. For them, we want to honor their souls with utmost compassion; babies do deserve the best, right?
We are the caregivers…when we’re not overeating or watching TV or driving filthy vehicles or fighting like idiots or going to war, that is.

Three hundred sixty thousand beings will cry today, the first day of the rest of their crying. So many little prophets clenching and unclenching their little hands.

What if every politician spoke the truth? How odd is that the hardest thing in the world is to tell the truth? Or let alone LIVE that truth; incorporate that truth in one’s daily existence? (apart from the occasional “moment of truth”, “nothing but the truth”, or “the truth shall set you free”) Yeah, “the truth hurts”, but a simple truth uttered with absolute clarity is a supernova.
That is the power and beauty of Truth.

(a snippet of poem by Richard Brautigan, published in 1968 during the Vietnam War which had, at the time, released thirty thousand US troops from their mortal coil.)

Star Spangled Nails- “You’ve got/ some star-spangled/ nails/ in your coffin, kid. / That’s what they’ve done for you, son.

This expresses the atrocities committed in the name of country. I do think this continues today, prevalently with our political system’s dogged perpetuation of insanity; as well as with the not-so-obvious things: food chemicals, cultural expectations leading to degradation, class differences, ignorance, widespread emotionally dysfunctional mannerisms, and insatiable egos.
These problems exist everywhere, not just on this privileged, high-and-mighty country, true. But why?

Yet, the fact is - for a country so persuaded by its convictions of sweet freedom, legacies/traditions, indignant individualism, humanitarianism and an infallible constitution to engage in activities that are blindly articulated, uncompassionate, and completely irrelevant to the state of this planet is to be a "hypocrite". (To be frank)

There are discrepancies which are ignored, for the most part…
basically-

The ideals of the US culture do not coincide with the reality of the US culture.

The vast majority of people create their reality unknowingly. Using the “choices” presented to them by THAT job, cultural expectations regarding marriage and the raising of children, commercials, national holidays rationing “family time”, interest groups and your friendly faceless corporation, or avenue of media enterprise.

Indeed, the culture creates the paradigm.

This is truly a tangled web of reality…

The more I grow the more I know. The more I realize that I don’t want to live in the false reality of others.

i wrote this poem/rant quickly last night (out of inspiration), and am curious to know what other people think!~ Thank You.
Old August 8th, 2003, 03:37 PM   #2
chuckIes
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to chuckIes
"whoever controls the media controls the mind."
-Jim Morrison

part of the problem is, money is power. and the people with the most money are too often the people who got greedy enough to GET the money. and they only hire into the positions of power that they leave at death, people equally as greedy. they don't care that the air we breathe is dirty. they don't care about killing innocent civilians. they just want the big bucks.

and i would imagine in some cases, before they can even start to think about changing their ways, the guilt wells up under the surface of their consciouses, they sense it, and push it down by buying a new pool..

a long time ago, if the people joined hands in a revolution, things might change. but now, if we did that, they would just threaten to drop bombs on us.

so rather then change the powers that be, we have to rise up in our own powers, contribute to organizations that exist already or raise awareness or both. you started just by making this thread.

i see that there has been little response. these discussions have been had over and over and lots of people are for the instant payoff. if it makes you feel sick, don't think about it, right?

..but think about this

CHANGES

doesn't that make you sit up and want a part in this? if you're creatively inclined, wouldn't you LOVE to have your opinions expressed in a movie, music video/song or commercial?

at the risk of being repetitive, that's my $.02
Old August 23rd, 2003, 05:48 AM   #3
GummiBear
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to GummiBear Send a message via Yahoo to GummiBear
How many people actually get a good quality message out of a song/book/commercial ( well maybe a commercial, since they are short they are strait to the point). When i lisetn to music i dont really listen to the lyrics, and even if i did...nothing hits me instantly. As for books, it seems to take a lot of looking into and thinking before realizing the "moral" of the story.

My friend read an article in a newspaper about the harry potter books, parents were getting mad cuzz they thot it was just witchcraft entertainment that encouraged kids to want to be witches!
Well she wrote back with all these explainations of how the book is really meaningful, she is a very thotfull person and would see things like that. Most people woudlnt, and a lot probably read that and were still non-the-wiser.
But hey, i guess its still worth a try eh? ^_^

btw, i would love to have my views expressed in music and stuff..haha altho i wouldnt make it so complex like most are.

but since im not "creativly inclined" (cant even spell *shrugs*) id need someone to sorty my thots and put them down for me in an effective way! haha good times
GummiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2003, 06:55 AM   #4
Mirage
Hullaboarder

It is disturbing to view the man-made reality of modern times.A bustling world where people's lives are simply purchased by the hour. Not enough time for friends family or fun, companies' products demand 10 hours a day. There is a better way, but the world cannot stop to find it, and those in power are too scared to try it. The fate of many are decided by the few,and Control is maintained under the media's circus tent of lies. All just beneath the glossy surface of what we'd like to believe is freedom. It would be unwise for any nation to bargain away it's rights, we must fight any way we can. Is there really freedom anymore? Not just the freedom to choose what corporation will own you, or what political figurehead that will lead you. True freedom of self, my body is mine and I will govern it! We must push for freedom of our body and freedom of our mind! Learning from the generations before us and passing our knowledge on for generations to come.
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote