The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Stay Here Forever
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old July 8th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #1
monstercan-D
Hullaboarder

Unhappy They took my Vicks inhaler!!

Now, I could understand if this was a uniform policy everywhere, but I have taken it to other raves and nightclubs without a peep.

What really floored me was that the security told me the urban myth that Vick's is a 'drug stimulant'.

( Isn't this is based upon the American formulation of Vick's which at one time had an isomer of amphetamine which is not psychoactive? You can see how it could take off easily.)

The fact that the TRIP booth was selling them pissed me off to no end. Other people got theirs in without a bag check.

On the plus side, I got it back in the morning.
Old July 8th, 2003, 05:09 PM   #2
Snoop e
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 23 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to Snoop e Send a message via MSN to Snoop e Send a message via Yahoo to Snoop e
*hands vicks inhaler to monstercan-d*

you can have mine

Check me out on MySpace.
Old July 8th, 2003, 05:39 PM   #3
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to itsgigglegirl
snoop-e's sucha good sharer lol

You can't miss me, I'm the girl with the smile

Shake like an earthquake, and cut like a guillotine
Old July 8th, 2003, 06:53 PM   #4
TheLorax
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to TheLorax
lol...they took my deodorant because it was in an aerosal can...however that is spelled...but they left my inhaler alone. it was kinda weird. oh well
Old July 9th, 2003, 12:40 AM   #5
dianejapa
Friendship Crew

Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to dianejapa Send a message via AIM to dianejapa
i forgot they took your deodorant... lol...
Old July 9th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #6
Snoop e
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 23 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to Snoop e Send a message via MSN to Snoop e Send a message via Yahoo to Snoop e
maybe they smelled bad
Old July 9th, 2003, 06:23 AM   #7
Mrs Frolic
Administrator

Taking your inhaler would present a health risk to you if you needed it, so they shouldn't be touching anything like that.

I've worked security at the Opera House for other events and it's pretty routine to take anything unusual - I'm sure they would have left stick deodorant alone.

Any items that they won't allow you to take into the party can be checked into the black box (as you did with the Vicks). I haven't had any complaints from anyone else about having Vicks confiscated but if you like I can mention it to the security guards at our next event.
Old July 9th, 2003, 06:47 AM   #8
pyrotix
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to pyrotix Send a message via MSN to pyrotix
in the US the Vick's inhaler would definitely be a RAVE act victim. Did you ever see that video of a police officer talking to a massive gathering of parents? He told them that raves were places to buy drugs. He said that teenagers, when asked, would say, "It's about the music", but that it was a lie.

The boys in blue can be pretty persuasive, but nothing fueled the RAVE act more than the media. Teenagers dying from taking strange pills, police bust after bust... they made headlines so many times. That club that was shut down for having a chill-out room, the Marijuana benefit concert...

Vick's inhalers, Vapo-Rub, dustmasks, glowsticks, lollipops, ambient music, pill testing, a room that was cool, free water, harm reduction literature... these are all things that are threatened by the RAVE act in the states. By threatened, I mean a security guard can immediately throw "paraphernalia" in a garbage can if you are trying to bring it in.

It's really a sad state of affairs.

On the other hand, I would have bought you one inside! Just let somebody know, don't we all help eachother out? I'm sure you got plenty of seabreezes from other people ;-)
Old July 9th, 2003, 10:06 AM   #9
grincoregenetix
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to grincoregenetix
.::sigh::. fer sure, they've totally gotten outta hand here. not like i party in ny that much anymore, but when synthetic sadhus was throwing parties at amazura they used to take lip smackers from my bag, and they always took the listerine tabs too.
the only parties i went to here are psy trance parties, but all of them have stopped and they throw these 21 and up parties with only local psy trance dj's which buh-lows. so the only party i go to now is hulla ::shrugz:: but at least i know that's completely worth it
Old July 9th, 2003, 11:39 AM   #10
monstercan-D
Hullaboarder

Security was courteous about it, in a no-nonsense way. I didn't argue with them. That's one good thing.
Old July 9th, 2003, 12:18 PM   #11
grincoregenetix
Hullaboarder

totally, no dispute there. security at the opera house is MUCH MUCH nicer than here in NY.
makes me jealous. yet another reason to move to canada.

honestly even just being in the city people are so much more of something else. i don't wanna say it's friendlier or more relaxed, cuz i'm not living there every day to know what it's really like, it just feels much different. people make eye contact, which is soooo not done in NY.

.::singing::. OH I WISH I WERE CANADIAN!!! LA LA LAHHHH

Last edited by grincoregenetix : July 9th, 2003 at 12:24 PM.
Old July 9th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #12
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
around here security will take your soother (nukie), any think vicks or vapor rub, stickers, chapstick or anything like it that is open, candy if it isnt in a factory sealed bag, you name it, and it has been like this for a long time, when i first went to hulla i was amazed by what they allowed in, not that it SHOULDNT be allowed as there is nothing wrong with it. Here you bring your ID and a few bucks, maybe your cell phone and thats all that is allowed pretty much.....sooooooooo GO CANADA
Old July 9th, 2003, 04:21 PM   #13
TheLorax
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to TheLorax
Smile lol...

Quote:
Originally posted by Snoop e
maybe they smelled bad

lol, i hope someone put it to good use
Old July 9th, 2003, 04:49 PM   #14
§tarlite
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to §tarlite
They took my Vicks Inhaler too! They said it was drug paraphenalia.
What if I was sick and needed it???
But they did give me a ticket to get it at the end, which I forgot to do! I found the ticket in my bag when I got home.

They've looked at my puffer before, taking the chamber/puffy thing out and checking inside. But they can't take it from you. Just in case you do have an asthma attack.

This is the first time I've had a problem with Vicks Inhalers. Usually they don't say anything.

Say something Robin!!!!
Old July 9th, 2003, 09:21 PM   #15
kraver1981
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to kraver1981
^^
Quote:
Originally posted by §tarlite
They took my Vicks Inhaler too! They said it was drug paraphenalia.
What if I was sick and needed it???

*applause*

You win a prize for making the dumbest statement I've read today!!

*hands you a retard sandwich*

First of all...In my mind, it is "drug paraphenilia". Not to say that I myself haven't brought one in to the Opera House but to claim that it isn't "drug paraphenilia" is just ridiculous. I'm quite surprised that Opera House security confiscated it, as their security team seems to be one of the most lax I've come across in 5 years of partying but hey that's their perogative. If one of the purposes of having a security team check bags, monitor the crowd, etc. is to keep drug use down to a mininum then confiscating a product like that is perfectly justified in my mind. Secondly, there is no way that you can be so sick to need a Vick's Inhaler...a Vick's Inhaler only alleviates the symptoms of an illness...that's it. It's not like an asthma inhaler where having one or not could mean Life or Death. If you in fact were deathly ill and still felt somehow that you desperately needed a Vick's inhaler, then you shouldn't be at a party in the first place. That is all.
Old July 9th, 2003, 11:31 PM   #16
§tarlite
Hullaboarder

^^^
Obviously you have never heard of the term sarcasm!!!
Would you like me to introduce you to it?
When I said: What if I was sick and needed it???
it was sarcasm.

And actually I started off using them when I was sick!!!!
I do like to have them, to help me feel better.

I've only RECENTLY begun using them for "other" purposes.
So since you don't know that about me, I don't give a shit about what you say or think about me!
And since you couldn't click into a little sarcasm, I REALLY don't care what you say.

So thanks for coming out.
Old July 10th, 2003, 12:44 AM   #17
MrMagnetix
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to MrMagnetix
TheLorax is my hero!!!!!!!
I had a tiny bag and they made me check it.
And with smoking..They told me if I wanted to smoke to go upstairs, I went to go upstairs and they stopped me.
Also, I had a button shirt on and I took it off cause I was hot and they wouldnt let me put it in my bag in coat check
Old July 10th, 2003, 02:14 AM   #18
Mrs Frolic
Administrator

Having worked coat check on crazy nights, if the booth is busy, it's necessary to deal with people checking stuff in before assisting the people who want to put an item (or get an item out) of their already-checked-in bags.

If the booth wasn't busy, then they were just being lazy.
Old July 10th, 2003, 02:39 AM   #19
Troile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Troile
I don't know...My soother isn't drug paraphenalia.

I don't like vicks...but I do like using my soother. Its cute and it keeps my mouth all watery.
Old July 10th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #20
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
i hate to say it guys / girls..

but a lot of ths stuff IS drug paraphanalia.
rolling papers, soothers, vicks..

how many SOBER people do you see sucking on a soother like no tomorrow?

how many SOBER people do you see getting vicks blown all over them?

how many people ACTUALLY roll their own cigarettes? (LEGAL ONES)

i think that should answer your question.
Sure.. you DO have a right to choose to do drugs if you want.. but that right is in your own home.. not at a rave.

personally, i am a bit hipocritical, as i have done drugs myself at parties, but i have not touched anything for over 2 years now, and i refuse to ever touch anything again.

when you do anything, you are not only putting yourself at risk, but everyone else.

think twice.. act once

** New - Dj Tranzit - This Is Why I'm Hot - 60 min hardcore fuckery ***
Old July 10th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #21
kraver1981
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to kraver1981
Quote:
Originally posted by §tarlite
^^^
Obviously you have never heard of the term sarcasm!!!
Would you like me to introduce you to it?
When I said: What if I was sick and needed it???
it was sarcasm.

And actually I started off using them when I was sick!!!!
I do like to have them, to help me feel better.

I've only RECENTLY begun using them for "other" purposes.
So since you don't know that about me, I don't give a shit about what you say or think about me!
And since you couldn't click into a little sarcasm, I REALLY don't care what you say.

So thanks for coming out.

Hell-ooOOoo I think you've mistaken those little pixels on your screen for real life...you know, the place where people still don't give a fuck about if they confiscated your Vicks inhaler or not? You still win an award for bitching about inane shit.

*slaps together another retard sandwich for yah*

P.S. "So thanks for coming out." = I've been told? Puh-leeze.
Old July 10th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #22
monstercan-D
Hullaboarder

Hey, it was MY Vick's inhaler.

And it is not a 'drug stimulant'.
It is something which people may or not find to be pleasant, whether they are on drugs or not.
It doesn't 'activate' or potentiate any illegal drugs.
That's like saying an orange is a drug stimulant, because, like, it's just sooo sweet and juicy when you're rolling, man!
Old July 10th, 2003, 04:42 PM   #23
§tarlite
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by kraver1981

Hell-ooOOoo I think you've mistaken those little pixels on your screen for real life...you know, the place where people still don't give a fuck about if they confiscated your Vicks inhaler or not? You still win an award for bitching about inane shit.

*slaps together another retard sandwich for yah*

P.S. "So thanks for coming out." = I've been told? Puh-leeze.

Yah you're right buddy, I've totally confused my computer with real life. Holy shit! You're amazing! You know exactly what I'm thinking!

Who the fuck are you to call me a retard when I was only stating that I've never had a problem with Vicks Inhalers. So they took them away because they're a drug stimulant eh?
Are they going to start taking glowsticks away? Because they must also be considered a drug stimulant!

Ooooh! The colors!! They're so pretty when I'm high, They fuck me up so much!!!

Also don't you think they should stop having platters of fruit at some parties which include Oranges? I guess they would have to stop giving oranges out, because Vitamin C has a catalytic effect.

Oh! and that retard sandwich thing! Holy shit, that's so funny! Did you come up with that one all on your own?

monstercan-D
That's so true about the oranges! awww, that was great!
Old July 10th, 2003, 04:42 PM   #24
grincoregenetix
Hullaboarder

^^^ EXACTLY

besides that, as an example, they hand out whistles at the door of hulla. everytime i get one it's usually in my mouth all night long. i sure as hell didn't take E at the party. i was totally sober. and so what, is this also pegged in your book as "drug stimulant" even when the person is sober? some people are just comfortable chewing or sucking on sumthing as an "oral stimulant," not a drug stimulant.

and in the US, LOTS of people roll their own cigarettes. it saves cash considering the insane taxes we have on packs of cigs.

and anyway there's no reason for you to be obnoxious to Starlite anyway cuz it's not like she had an attitude with you over the matter. she was only talking from her experience NOT bitching like you've mentioned. and yeah, i agree that if security wants to take it away, unfortunately they DO have the right to. but you can't say that it is "drug paraphenilia" because they were invented anyway, they didn't KNOW that ravers were gunna grab 'em and be like "whoa shit you can blow this in you eyes and it feels daamn good" i mean does it say "USE THIS WHEN ROLLING" on the packaging...NO it doesn't

let's keep the retard sandwiches in your own picnic basket and save them for the assholes you'll meet partying in NY
Old July 10th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #25
§tarlite
Hullaboarder

*hugs grincoregenetix*

I love what you said about the Vicks Inhalers packaging!!
pure gold!

kraver1981:
I never said that they can't take Vicks away I was just disagreeing about how they claim it's a drug stimulant.
Security was super-nice about the whole thing, but when I asked why they said the drug stimulant thing offered to give me a ticket to claim it at the end and everything was fine!

So you got just a little ahead of yourself to start bitching at me!